Sets [DTK] Dragons of Tarkir Spoilers Thread

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
The problem with Chandra is that if they were threatening with anything other than an X/1, your chances of untapping and being able to fork anything was pretty low. Narset's crazy loyalty, while it may be a blunt instrument for doing so, makes it far more likely to actually accomplish it. If you set up with a guile/brainstorm/library or somesuch you can also guarantee the card on the first +1. A four drop that replaces itself, then demands 7 damage in order to stop additional value is pretty sweet.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
foerazerregent.jpg
gElSDoB.png

Should I switch?

I believe megamorph had a couple iterations, one of which was a 3/3 for 4 instead of a 2/2 for 3, but they decided it was better to keep the "what could it be??" aspect of morph (for constructed purposes, since KTK won't be limited with dragons) and that was that.

I'm pretty sure marang river skeleton has been dead a while...
marangriverskeleton.jpg

Know how you get pruny after being in the shower too long? I imagine this is what it's like to take a bath for 1000 years.

Also, I have some slight flavor issues with MEGAMORPH, the ability (I will never be able to say that normally in draft). Dosen't it make more sense flavorfully to have the megamorph morphs be 3/3s? You know...like is a morph...but its mega?

Ninja Fixed ;)
That would make it so much easier to guess what the creature is. Because megamorphs (hopefully) will only ever be the handful of creatures that are in DTK. Whereas with a morph it can be anything from that environment.

Is berserker really a card? Like, is a 2/1 with upkeep cost but upside worth it? I honestly can't evaluate that card. I suppose the mana sink is really nice in red aggressive decks?

He's pretty gross if you've already drafted a Champion of the Parish. Just make it bigger and bigger without committing to the board and getting wrecked on a board wipe. Obviously at it's best in Mono-Red where he can come in hasty after a boardwipe and punches in for like 5 pretty easily off dash + pumps. I'm a fan of this card, pretty solid.

He's pretty gross if you've already drafted a Champion of the Parish. Just make it bigger and bigger without committing to the board and getting wrecked on a board wipe. Obviously at it's best in Mono-Red where he came come in hasty after a boardwipe and punches in for like 5 pretty easily off dash + pumps. I'm a fan of this card, pretty solid.

I'm such a sucker for champion of the parish!

CML

Contributor
i think Narset is bonkers.

i also hate this new move towards beefy planeswalkers. they are very difficult to interact with in the combat step these days and that is problematic for cube as we talked about ad nauseam earlier (Elspeth Knight Errant >> JTMS in Cubes, at least ours where the combat step is emphasized -- and Sun's Champion is probably up there as well?) ashiok for example almost invariably demands the Hero's Downfall from a midrange deck in Standard and that also is bad design.

Don't see all the love for this guy. He seems good, but he's pretty narrow. I mean he really just fits in like one deck. Is that really all that exciting?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Risen_Executioner_MetagameIT_20150305.png

Creature - Zombie Warrior
Risen Executioner can't block
Other zombie creatures you control get +1/+1
You may cast Risen Executioner from your graveyard if you pay an additional 1 for each other creature in your graveyard

This card is making me think it might be time to end my Vampire/Zombie crossover experiment as Zombies might just have the umph to be there own tribe. Of course, crossing them gives a better array of cards to pick from, but adding errata uses up valuable complexity currency (and Blade of the Bloodchief does crazy work in my list, though when comboed with, say, Carrion Feeder it can get dumb).

Reactions: CML
Card is pretty odd. Recastable, otherwise-vanilla 4/3 isn't exactly a great aggro topper, and zombie anthem is pretty narrow in a generic cube (and irrelevant in standard right now? Next block return to innistrad confirmed. Or something). Seems catered to a real specific audience after the more generic/power brutal hordechief was just released. It honestly doesn't feel that mythic to me.

Not really feeling this one to be honest. I don't really get the upside here at mythic. He's a recastable zombie that costs...more into the lategame? Unless you're delving away everything, won't he just be more expensive the later the game is? 4/3 isn't particularly threatening either. I just don't see why it's mythic, maybe it'll make sense in the next set.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty excited about DTK so far! This is my first preview season where I am thinking about cards in terms of their application to non-WotC limited environments, and even the crappers are standouts! "Dies to bolt? Maybe this cube is more of a shock cube..." Seriously, though, all of these additional utility morphs and +1/+1 counters have head spinning. Forget planeswalkers!

Yeah, these cards look like they offer a lot to various cube applications.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
635611295667930942.png

This might be better than it looks at first blush. I was kind of sad it doesn't destroy artifacts, but the instant speed mana ramping and the anthem effect are pretty funny next to the 3 damage mode. Not to mention it's choose two. I'm curious enough to try it out.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
en_5vHIm2DdIw.png

This is also a playable red one drop. And when I mean playable, I mean that they have basically just declared that most of the other red one drops were just jokes.

Seriously, how do people feel about the blatant benchmark burning? Is this a sign of power creep, that each set from now on will be including blatantly superior cards to keep the power-maxers wallets in play? Or are they merely pushing areas that weren't pushed before, giving us a broader selection of power levels to chose from?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also Lava Spike + Temp Anthem seems like a decent ammount of damage for just 2 mana.
I'm not sure its even remotely close to what I want my multicolor cards to be doing, but I might be being too stingy on that front.

Also:
zurgobellstriker.jpg

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edit: FSR, I see your argument on power creep and declare that this is less pushing the bar and more bringing up the floor.

Red 1 drops have sucked forever (Goblin Patrol, still seeing play in singleton cubes) and your options for the higher power ones are still limited, whereas Savannah Lions has been taking names since the beginning, and Carnophage and Co. were perfectly fine for their time and have been updated with perfectly fine examples thesedays (Diregraf Ghoul), let alone amazeballs cards like gravecrawler, deathrite shaman and Randy "Two-Shields" Jackson
One Shield is to hit you with, and the other ... is to hit you with
He's good, and dash is a real upside, but can't block is also a real downside (as we've learned from the gravecrawler "can't block" theme deck)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Seriously, how do people feel about the blatant benchmark burning? Is this a sign of power creep, that each set from now on will be including blatantly superior cards to keep the power-maxers wallets in play? Or are they merely pushing areas that weren't pushed before, giving us a broader selection of power levels to chose from?

It's clearly inferior to Goblin Guide, which we are all okay with (in fact love, or I do anyway), so what's the fuss about? I also think the Legendary supertype hurts it more for constructed purposes than one might think, because you want your red 2-powered one-drops to be as redundant as possible, and the second Zurgo is a dead draw much more often than the second, say, Sidisi is. Essentially, you want to play as many as possible, because they are only good (well, okay, best by far, it does have dash after all) in your opener, but you want to play as few as possible because it is legendary.