Sets [DTK] Dragons of Tarkir Spoilers Thread

cards like this were better when combat damage stacked and thus gave you more reasons to play cards that have a zero cost sacrifice ability. Like you really don't see nearly as many rusalka, mogg fanatics or sakura tribe elders as you used to and ravenous baloth essentially puts you to sleep. Man the game is soooooo much more interesting now that the cool creatures have soooooo many more decisions inherent to them. Zzzzzzzz

Anyway what was I talking about? Oh yeah this card looks a little bit like a bad instant speed divination so I'm probably down to play with it. I like most cards that do a profane command impression anyway, because abusing that sort of thing is probably the most fun you can have playing combo in riptide cubes.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I sometimes forget most people don't run 13 guild cards :) Uh, yeah, it's certainly not in the top 5 Rakdos cards or anything, but it is very versatile, and will be relevant almost any game it gets cast.

i think this card is kinda bad.

rakdos charm isn't maindeckable and ergo isn't close to being cubeworthy but it was nearly a card in standard and is kind of a card in modern(?)

yeah this can shock a monastery mentor and they will discard one but blightning used to kill JACE and mind rot them! blightning would be too powerful for the standard format we have now but geez

i mean try it by all means but still

are really versatile sideboard cards truly uncubable? i'd way rather include rakdos charm than shatter (i would nearly never include shatter), since i have good mana available and value versatility. Probably gonna cut RC for Kolaghan's, becauise chose two is so much more satisfying than choose one, but if all three hoser modes are relevant in your cube like they've been in mine then i say canuck it up

I quite like the BR command for artifact heavy cubes. All modes should get a lot of love, killing a dude and getting back a creature is a huge swing! It's awesome in top deck wars, make them discard their top deck and get back a creature. If you have it in your opening grip you could trade off an early creature then bring it back with the charm whilst killing a creature or artifact. This card has A LOT of play to it.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
While it's true you can't ever get the Blightning 3-for-1, I think this command offers enough versatility - at instant speed! - to make up for the lack of raw power. I might be one of the last people running Blightning around here, and in low-curve, high-speed cubes, nuking a walker comes up less often than it did back in the standard season it was legal, so it's usually a Mind Rot plus.

Like Karl says, this card is a lot stronger in the conventional cube with their bevy of powerful artifacts. But it might still be reasonable enough in lists where smelting isn't as important.

I agree with Eric. If you evaluate the card on any single pair of modes for the cost, it ought to look subpar, a la Bow of Nylea.

craterelemental.jpg

I designed a card two weeks ago in the Custom Card Lab that looks somewhat similar to this.

Really Tall Tree {1}{G}
Creature - Plant
Defender
Imperil - Whenever Really Tall Tree is dealt damage, sacrifice it and it deals 8 damage to target creature.

0/8

looks like the most cube worthy command. rakdos is stacked but i think it will make the cut. everything i wanted in rakdos charm. 3 mana for two modes.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
If you want a high utility value instant in red/black, run the card, I really doubt you could possibly be disappointed. Fire Covenant is a million times more powerful at the one thing it does, but this card does six things. Frankly, if it was more powerful with this level of flexibility I'd be disappointed. It loses a little if you run few artifacts and 3 as your critical toughness I guess.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
en_yeZOGOHZ3u.png

This is... an awesome removal spell! Basically this reads "Enchanted creature can't attack" for {1}{U}, but in addition it's awesome on your own creatures with etb creatures or sac outlets!

If you really want the removal spell, I feel curse of chains or narcolepsy would likely work better (As they represent the difference between pacifism and guard duty)
As well, the creature can still attack if their copy is bigger than yours (VIA equipment or somesuch)

The psudo splinter twin effect is cool, but I'm not huge on it

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If you really want the removal spell, I feel curse of chains or narcolepsy would likely work better (As they represent the difference between pacifism and guard duty)
As well, the creature can still attack if their copy is bigger than yours (VIA equipment or somesuch)

The psudo splinter twin effect is cool, but I'm not huge on it
Yeah, sure, those are better removal spells, but they don't have a secondary use! This on a Mulldrifter or a Skinrender, for example, is insane, and Narcolepsy can never have that upside!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah, sure, those are better removal spells, but they don't have a secondary use! This on a Mulldrifter or a Skinrender, for example, is insane, and Narcolepsy can never have that upside!

I believe you, but throwing this on your opponent's Hero of Bladehold means it can still block :p
And attack, come to think of it.
Eh come up with a better example

well ash zealot does less trading up... well sorta because your mana is still being wasted in the trade up ugh.

CML

Contributor
well ash zealot does less trading up... well sorta because your mana is still being wasted in the trade up ugh.

hey now with the help of warleader's helix she took down many an arbor colossus and with a lightning strike she ate their pukey.

as for versatile sideboard cards being bad in cube, i think so?

hey now with the help of warleader's helix she took down many an arbor colossus and with a lightning strike she ate their pukey.

as for versatile sideboard cards being bad in cube, i think so?

Cool, thanks for the reassurance. Gonna cut it for Kolaghan's and maybe make a few more Charm substitutions.

(ash zealot is love, ash zealot is light)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Ire Shaman couldn't have been any better, love that card. Weak rebound card, but I guess that needing to nerf/colorshifted that green card whose name I can't remember even though I play the damn thing was needed for the limited environment?

Black three drops are quickly becoming one of the most crowded spots, there are so many great cards for it.