General Unpopular Fun/Effective Cards in Your Cube

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I've been doing the same. I think I just have it floating around in some unclassified section, but it is definitely cubeworthy. I mean, it's vaguely in design space of Electrolyze, while requiring a bit more setup and planning to get value out of.
I have no recollection of my original post... but in any case, I've kinda soured on Snakeform, in that I now view it as purely a combat trick, as opposed to removal. Unfortunately, combat tricks pretty much have to cost 1 cmc in environments such as ours, with removal as efficient as it is; two is already stretching it. Three is out of the question entirely, in my opinion, despite the appeal of the cantrip.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Damn it, you got me. Can somebody please detail the history of this meme? I feel like it started shortly before my riptide hiatus ended and I can't be bothered to do the research...

I think in the beginning I was hiding steamflogger bosses in my posts, and eventually just started doing brushwagg as well cuz I love him so much. Now and then I feel obligated to spice it up a bit and throw in a balduvian trading post (the rival cube forum - they think we're super conservative) or some other stupid card. It brings me great joy that other people have joined the fun :)

Aoret

Developer
Ty for the explanation James. I think I was around during the early steamflogger boss era, but must have been on hiatus when brushwagg started.

Also... there's a cube forum that's crazier and more liberal than we are? wtf?

I don't know if I necessarily have the "right environment" for Haakon and Obsessive Search, but I have plenty of looters, a decent amount of discard outlets and a Loam package. Anything that can discard can utilize Haakon. It might be tricky to get him online, but a 3/3 for 3 that you can just keep playing over and over again is nuts. Search has been a fine card in any deck with a looter or two just because of how cheap the card advantage is and it can always cycle, its basically a cute cantrip that sometimes gives you an extra card, which usually costs more than one mana.

Pain's reward is pretty solid in Bx aggro, as long as you're pressuring their life total harder than they're pressuring yours you can afford to bet more life. Its a cute way for aggro to recover and get a big second wind once it runs out of gas, which should be enough to finish the job. 3 mana and some extra life points for a Tidings is pretty sweet. The effect would probably be miserable in multiples though or alongside an existing "suicide" theme, but its a great effect to just have one of.

I still run Haakon. He's awesome. All you need are discard outlets.

I haven't soured on snakeform so much as I just ran out of space for it. There are just so many cards I want to run at this point. Every cut hurts now.

Another great card if you have a +1/+1 counter theme is hardened scales. It's the best card in that deck. Not an exaggeration. If you have it in your opening hand you just win.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I run more walls than usual:
Is there a reason your walls are in GW? Is there some sort of archetype that needs the early game stall?

Also, for my peasant cube I have this random card that people seem to disregard:

Replaces itself, screws up combat math and can even combo with these little sweeties. The only problem is that anthems are generally just better. There aren't many of those in peasant though.

Avenger of Zendikar is very strong, but it doesn't have evasion or deathtouch, costs one more than Grave Titan, has one less power, and needs another land drop to make it's offspring more than chump blocking speed bumps, and doesn't generate more offspring each time you attack with it.

In short, I don't think it's on the same level.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

yes
what about
the green grave titan

i think without fast mana theyre tolerable

Inferno Titan was a bit too strong for my cube, but the real culprits that make these cards game warping are (in ascending order of bullshit):

I'm very happy I cut the first two, and I never tried the other three.

Agreed. If you run a reasonably fast cube and you exclude the broken fast mana, I think most oppressive finishers are playable without breaking your meta. That includes the titans (though maybe not Wurmcoil - that card is just utter nonsense).

My meta is too slow though, so all the titans are broken. I've tried all of them now, and the only one which isn't complete bullshit is Frost Titan. But even that is very oppressive against certain decks so I don't run it. It looks vulnerable, but it is very hard to kill that thing in practice. I also feel that perma-tapping a permanent is very underrated as far as removal effects go. It has a very significant impact on the game and it prevents many decks from recurring it (there are so many cards which come back after being killed on their own and so many effects in cube for reanimation).

Aoret

Developer
In my experience, grave titan was oppressive, primeval is possibly too good, but borderline, sun titan is good and VERY samey and boring (and was cut for being generically good), inferno never does anything and I'm beefing up my count of red sweepers to see if I can change that.

Inferno is busted in the UR counter burn style decks IMO. It comes down and the game is over. Free lightning bolts are disgusting. Prime Time gets manlands and other busted nonbasics, so it's too easy to abuse. Sun Titan can sometimes run out of things to reanimate, but the effect has so many good targets typically and you usually don't need more than a couple to pretty much bury your opponent in tempo. He has vigilance too which is a very underrated ability IMO. Being able to apply pressure but still have a giant 6/6 wall to block is crazy good.

Again, Frost is the only one that isn't just silly over time. He permanently locks down your opponent's best resource, and it's virtually impossible for some deck's to kill him. But he never nets your more than one virtual CA. All the others provide exponential value over time, which in a slower meta makes them considerably more broken.