Site News CFB Store Credit Contest: Design a Cube Card

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Are we supposed to submit an entirely new card or can we use existing designs we already cube with?

Uh... I don't really care. Whatever is most fun for you. I don't usually spend much time looking at custom cards, so it'll probably be new to me.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I'm not a creator and I probably won't be submitting anything for this contest (since I won the last one, got to give the rest of you guys a chance :p). This did however bring back a memory of a card I got to design for my friends 'coin cube'. I won the inaugural sealed event with the cube (we only had 4 players and this was before all these modified versions of drafting for less than 8 players existed).

I wanted there to be a two drop for red to rival Snapcaster/Bob/Tarmogoyf etc. as Young Pyromancer and Abbot of Keral Keep existed to fill this void.
I submitted my card. The owner of the cube changed the templating a little and decided to merge my face with the art to forever cement me in the cube.
Let me introduce to you my crowning custom card achievement:
phLtA65.jpg

I did mention I was a terrible designer, right?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Drat... someone already designed the Flash 3/1 Blue Flyer with a hand disruption ability that I have been thinking about.

Have no Fear!
YomaZgR.jpg

Serious Suggestion:
zYU1OMi.jpg

Just at the right power level, the promise of something more, lots of nice little edge cases for sequencing and where to throw counters around, and a cutesy familiar enough name that players will get the concept easily.

Here is my entry, it works best in my cube or other tribal oriented cubes.

1453468217818324.png

It's conspiracy on Juzám Djinn. I'm still pushing this tribal thing, I have like +25 captainlike creatures plus small interactions everywhere, it would be a bomb in my cube. At best for you guys Goblin matron becomes a real tutor, riptide laboratory works on everything, everything buffs champion of the parish, splicers buff everything, Xathrid Necromancer makes zombie humans. It has kind of good sequencing with most of those cards, it is big and aggressive, requires some buildaround to max out, sometimes has immediate effect on the board. You could make an army of horses on a 5/5 body.

Here's my submission:
Y7pGd2g.jpg

Eidolon of Blossoms just doesn't cut it at my power level, at least not enough to be an exciting card. I dislike the Shroud on Argothian Enchantress and the other options (shifting one of the 3-cc Enchantresses down to be a two-drop was considered and rejected, keeping them at three mana doesn't let the Enchantress player curve into one of the many 3-cc Enchantments available to them) weren't very appealing so I went into custom design space. Elvish Visionary is another good card I'd love to find room for, so the Constellation trigger appears instead of the Enchantress one (plays better with counterspells anyway). The Yixlid Jailer ability is to promote on-board development: while it nonbos with a couple other enchantments or green cards it doesn't really work out that way in practice. It also serves to diversify 'graveyard green' and 'enchantress green' as competing draft priorities for card advantage.

VJuMQkv.png

This is the final draft of my submission. There's a lot I want to speak about regarding vorthos, mechanics, applications, etc, but I risk tampering with your initial impressions, which I take would be integral in your grading and oh my gosh I am such a chatty Cathy today.

*Edit:
Mortal Landscape is a design based on Zendikar mechanics. It synergizes best with aristocrat-like strategies, but has wider applications. It's worded intentionally to stack exponentially with each isolated death trigger which will eventually snowball into a win-con. Per its name, animated lands become susceptible to creature and artifact removal which can be turned onto the opponent. It's a land that doesn't produce mana which may present a tempo(...? Do we still consider this tempo?) tradeoff of developing mana versus getting the ball rolling. Flavor-wise, its meant to depict a post-Elspeth Theros where the poleis have turned against Heliod and have begun to erect stone idols around the cities ala Akroan Colossus: a sort of Theros vs Nyx set-up. But subtly. Mortal landscape. Get it? 'Cause the "mortals" have taken domain over the land.