General When your playgroup wants you to powermax

What do i do??? I sent out a group message about getting the cube back together, and suddenly my guys be all, "we want Balance and True-Name Nemesis back." Ack! Is there any way to fit Riptide principles into a SUPER HIGH POWER cube? I just wanna jam Jeskai Sage and Elixir of Immortality y'all!

Well multiples should certainly help with building a high powered cube. Find multiple proactive answers to Balance and TNN, and run multiple of those. If they exist...

Hm, this is untested, but I think that not running artifact mana is a starting point to make Balance acceptable. Having recursive threats and creatures with death triggers might also mitigate the card's effects.

TNN is trickier. I guess you'd need to severely limit blue's aggressive capabilities, so that it cannot slot easily in a fast deck. I'd also include more mass removals and edict effects. The good thing is that Balance is itself an answer to TNN.

...or just throw the 2 cards in your current list, have your players lose badly to them and watch them beg you to remove them after a couple drafts :rolleyes:

I sent out a group message about getting the cube back together, and suddenly my guys be all, "we want Balance and True-Name Nemesis back."
Hm. Are they very young? Have they simply not witnessed the firepower of a fully armed and operational Poop Hose yet? Perhaps if you remove the kid gloves, disable all the inertial dampeners and play a Turn 1 Wins cube they will get a sufficient taste of Power and never want that taste blasted into their mouths ever again!

Do the Pandora's box thing. Put Lore Seeker into one of your packs. If someone cashes it in, then build a pack using nothing but broken cards.

I have yet to actually do this, but I love having the option. And this keeps your main cube free of the degenerate stuff while still enabling a way to play with those cards should your group feel so inclined. It feels especially spicy to me doing it this way since you may open a pack with a bunch of stuff that only hurts the deck you're building, so its not like this is pure upside for whoever chooses to open Pandora's box.

10,000 hours in MSPaint
SkBeGTE.jpg
Edit: Just to be clear, I didn't do squat but edit the words. In mspaint. Didn't realize there wasn't an artist credit before I posted, and I snagged it off a blog that also doesn't credit it.

Hm. Are they very young? Have they simply not witnessed the firepower of a fully armed and operational Poop Hose yet? Perhaps if you remove the kid gloves, disable all the inertial dampeners and play a Turn 1 Wins cube they will get a sufficient taste of Power and never want that taste blasted into their mouths ever again!

Yes, actually pull out every answer card, and let them suffer.

Anotak's list is probably close to what will actually happen. My most power-hungry drafter is proxying up about 5 of every card with the word "Mox" in the name, and we're going to build a format around a super-high density of Moxen and fetchlands. Imagine a list where your white 2 section includes Kataki, War's Wage and Leonin Arbiter. I am, and it's kind of getting me stoked to cube again!

There are some interesting implications to running ~25 moxen:

• One mana cards lose some of their effectiveness. Many decks will have a mox or three and be looking a turn ahead on the curve. RDW doesn't need as many Jackal Pups if it hits a critical mass of Lightning Mauler and friends.
  • Higher-costed cards impact the game more (as they can come out a turn or two early).
  • Colored mana symbols become more awkward due to moxen replacing lands in decks. Since many drafters will take and play off-colored moxen, they will make their mana color-fixing much worse. Cards like Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary, Legacy's Allure, Leonin Relic Warder, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Necropotence, etc., don't feel quite as good in mono-colored decks for a few off-colored moxen. This also effects decks trying to cast several one mana spells of the same color in one turn.
  • Mana is more vulnerable. Artifact destruction/nullification (Stony Silence and friends) is much more prevalent at acceptable costs than land destruction.
  • Artifact synergies are easier to support. Minor density supported cards like Daretti, Scrap Savant is easy to pull off with a few higher CMC artifacts included; major density supported cards like Somber Hoverguard or Rusted Relic become realistic with more artifacts added (without needing to go Mirrodon crazy).
  • Unique, powerful effects have more opportunity cost to pick. If the cube only has one Upheaval (or whatever), a player has to judge if its worth taking a mox over it for their big mana deck.
Sure there are more things; get adventurous but don't get sloppy!

Yeah, im actually very excited about building around the assumption that everyone is maindecking moxen. It makes for some interesting architectural opportunities.

Omg powermax can be so much fun, but don't give in. Make it your powermaxxx. You know how to make it more fun than they do. Turn one wins are boring anyway, make it explosive but make it fair. Sol Ring Elspeth feels unfair while actually being pretty reasonable in the scheme of things. God this could be pretty good with carefully calculated multiples.

Think of how many decks would be easier to pull off if only there were two frantic searches in cube

So with Moxen in mind, I was excited to throw a bunch of

into the environment, until I remembered

was in the same cube...

..uh, we might need rebalancing a bit...

I find its really difficult to draft decks in these do-nothing-combo-piece rich environments, with all the colourless artifacts necessary, and the deck manipulation you need, it's difficult to figure out curves and mana bases and how many distinct combos your deck can handle it can get to be a little much if you aint doing it all the time.

Boy can it get overwhelming!

Omg powermax can be so much fun, but don't give in. Make it your powermaxxx. You know how to make it more fun than they do. Turn one wins are boring anyway, make it explosive but make it fair. Sol Ring Elspeth feels unfair while actually being pretty reasonable in the scheme of things. God this could be pretty good with carefully calculated multiples.

Think of how many decks would be easier to pull off if only there were two frantic searches in cube

Do you have a lot of experience drafting/playing power cubes? I've only done a few, but am looking to build one of my own to start playing. I might be asking for your help a lot....

I run a cube and we draft monthly. For life / scheduling / grand Prix DC reasons, I'm skipping march. I took the opportunity to survey my 9 regulars on what they like.
I worded the questions to be outright stating how fast mana is bad. Overwhelmingly, they want to play with lotuses and moxen.
They also greatly prefer playing midrage and hate control.

Sigh.

(Ok, secretly, I would have been sad to get rid of the moxes, and Black Lotus is cursed in my group. Over 5 months, decks containing it only have a 40% match win record.)

If there's multiple Recalls, why not go *super* old school with magic? Make the best creature Shivan Dragon, and its close buddy Craw Wurm.

Flying Men are par for the course.