The Dandy Cube (Chris Taylor's Cube)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Nobody was drafting them, so I took em out. Randomly adding in 3 more volt charges takes some space :p

I've actually got a sweet draft report waiting in the works, I've just been so bogged down by my compilers work I haven't been able to post it!

Spoiler: Naya aggro deck out-planeswalkers my UW control deck.

Interested in hearing how Experiment Two and Rumbling Bluffs are performing. I'm considering running an Ex 2 with an upside. Also I have a sweet new one called Experiment X. Pictures incoming.​

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Gah centered post! o.O

Experiment two has been fine, but he could probably use an upside. A small one, something on the level of the regeneration that X1 has, but nothing as bonkers as trample or haste or whatever.

Rumbling Bluffs was actually almost played in a non-red deck (though he ended up being shipped red cards so whatever)
Whenever I design a card that people will play outside the colors it is, I feel I've failed as a designer, though he did have both meloku AND bitterblossom, so it's possible that synergy was the swinging point.

For reference, rumbling bluffs is:
Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped
T: add {R}
Bloodthirst 2
Graft 1

Would people play that in like, mono white weenie? It's heaps better than llanowar reborn, but that really isn't saying much.

Why won't anyone play wildfire? I guess it does kinda feel unfair when it's good and scary when you don't know how to make it. I think blue mana rocks also tend to interfere with wildfire meeting it's potential because they get scooped up by the blue deck if you aren't really lucky and happen to be in the blue wildfire deck.

The land is too slow for my taste

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Drafted!

Highlights:
-Double strike deck still stronk, but it needs mana dorks more than I thought.
-Black control is doable in my cube, but you lean on blue pretty hard, and it's hard to build.
-Black probably needs some incidental lifegain. I kinda wanna put "Gain 1 life" as a rider on a few spells. No I don't have pridemate in here, though that would be sweet if I did :D
-There's basically no way for control to beat bitterblossom here (realistically). It might have to go
-Sadly with bitterblossom leaving, I have exactly 3 black 2 drops I'm not customing and proud of (Blood artist, Bloodghast, and Dark Confidant) HALP!!!
-Blood Artist is SUPER STRONG. The second one might have to go. GAH BUT THEN THERE'S NO BLOODY 2 DROPS ANYMORE ><
-Experiment Two (G1 2/1 Evolve) now has graft. Should be sweet :D

Also this guy: Super sweet
propheticflamespeaker.jpg

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
-There's basically no way for control to beat bitterblossom here (realistically). It might have to go
-Sadly with bitterblossom leaving, I have exactly 3 black 2 drops I'm not customing and proud of (Blood artist, Bloodghast, and Dark Confidant) HALP!!!
-Blood Artist is SUPER STRONG. The second one might have to go. GAH BUT THEN THERE'S NO BLOODY 2 DROPS ANYMORE ><

I realized the same thing about Bitterblossom as you: control ain't beating that, especially turn two on the play. I think I'm ok with that, though.

Those are the three best black two drops in my cube, too. Not a fan of Oona's Prowler? That guy does some good work in aggro decks here. I also like Reassembling Skeleton for the various shenanigans you can pull off with him, and sometimes he acts as a Very Slow Wall for the control decks, too. I'm also back on the Rotting Rats plan for zombies, though that one's a little more sketchy.

I just cut the second Blood Artist here, actually. Just like the fourth Gravecrawler, it's a bit too much of a good thing. I'm trying out Falkenrath Noble.. but I'm pretty sure he's no Blood Artist.

Chris, please text me like 2-3 days before you are in town so I can play and get you more mixed data,

Yours, a friend and admirer,
Lucas

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I realized the same thing about Bitterblossom as you: control ain't beating that, especially turn two on the play. I think I'm ok with that, though.

Those are the three best black two drops in my cube, too. Not a fan of Oona's Prowler? That guy does some good work in aggro decks here. I also like Reassembling Skeleton for the various shenanigans you can pull off with him, and sometimes he acts as a Very Slow Wall for the control decks, too. I'm also back on the Rotting Rats plan for zombies, though that one's a little more sketchy.

I just cut the second Blood Artist here, actually. Just like the fourth Gravecrawler, it's a bit too much of a good thing. I'm trying out Falkenrath Noble.. but I'm pretty sure he's no Blood Artist.
I'm not really a fan of Oona's prowler no :( Black has a huge problem blocking over here, and if it's ever on the back foot (something that eventually will happen) Oona's prowler is not going to help :(
Rotting Rats was REALLY bad for me. the card is costs you is super relavant, unearth was always akward, and it really is too small :(
Reassembling Skeleton looks super slow, but I could try him.

Most times with bitterblossom it comes down turn 1 off a mox or turn 2 when they were on the play, and when the only answer is oblivion ring but you need nature's claim, and you never ever in any other circumstance want nature's claim, I find myself at a bit of a crossroads :p

Chris, please text me like 2-3 days before you are in town so I can play and get you more mixed data,

Yours, a friend and admirer,
Lucas

I've got an exam on monday, but sometime after that I should be back in Toronto! That might be the time to see you and Eric finally :D

Ps I love wildfire

I know, I kinda do too. Maybe the blue decks wouldn't pick up the artifact mana if it were just all charcoal diamonds?

You could try

To help solve your bitterblossom problem.

I second skirsdag high priest.

I tried high priest, he takes way too many creatures :(
Bomb I don't buy, it's too slow at actually dealing with nontoken permanents, and I don't actually have any other token cards in my cube. I've tried it before and it never did anything :(
Explosives maybe. How are people's experiences with this card? When you aren't popping it for 0 mind.

How much do you like having effects in all colours. Which effects do you like in all colours? Remember we are designing a limited format with expectations.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
How much do you like having effects in all colours. Which effects do you like in all colours? Remember we are designing a limited format with expectations.

I'm not really sure what you're asking here. I wouldn't mind if all my colors had access to what explosives does.

I'm pretty fast and loose with it. At one point I had in here a 2/B 2/W unmake and I took it out not because it was too strong, but because it was boring too draft.

Skirsdag high priest rocked the table today. The games were a bit durdly I suppose. 3 people tried to draft sacrifice decks of some sort.

Think about doubling up on bob and running a bunch of the sweet top of library cards seeing as you love mirri's guile?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Doubling up on Bob sounds dangerous to me. Like "I need more bounce, let's ad another jace tms"

Maybe I'm wrong? I'll see how pain see goes. He's no Bob, but ophidian bear sounds awesome as well