Sets Journey to Nyx Spoilers

Someone convince me thatIroas or Keranosare worth buying!
Iroas doesn't have to attack like pyreheart wolf/comes down a turn later than goblin war drums, and protects your team instead of killing your opponent like hellrider or any other 4!!

Keranos is 1 CMC cheaper than staff of nin, and has wacky random hijinks instead of consistency!

I actually do not hate this card. It's brainwash that does more.
oppressiverays.jpg

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
It reminds me of Paralyze a lot, which was (and still is) a good piece of removal. In exchange for a 1 mana discount on the "upkeep" you can't cheat around it (or just untap to keep a blocker). You could definitely run this and not be embarrassed.

Laz

Developer
EDIT: Didn't realise this was a re-print... It did bring it to the front of mind for me though. I might give it a playtest...

Is this worth mentioning?
reprisal.jpg

I think it is the cheapest that this ability has ever been printed at. I mean, it is no Swords or Path, but it is a non-black 2-mana card which says 'destroy target creature' on it.

I guess the question is what kind of decks want this card. Control decks cannot use it to remove early aggro creatures (unless the have a Grafted Wargear or something on them), but it is a nice thing to have in hand for post-wrath. Aggressive decks probably want this to remove blockers, but do they have 4+ power? Often early-game blockers are x/3, where x <= 3...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It's a reprint from like Ice Age, and I worry how good that it'll be in regular limited.
It's a bit narrow for cube I think. There's a bunch of utility or boros reckoners which are real worrysome

I ran it for a bit while I was running through random removal, it got played relatively well because it deals with pretty much all of the "kill this or you die" creatures (except hero of bladehold off the top of my head) while being unable to kill slower but still threatening cards. It was fair but I agree that it is too narrow so it was cut. That new art is slammin' though.

It reminds me of Paralyze a lot
Never seen that card, that's a neat one! They both "kill" mana dorks, which was one of the things I thought was most interesting about rays. I think the only ups rays has over paralyze is for mana-only activations (azorius guildmage). Even guys like grim lavamancer that normally don't care much about, say, narcolepsy still get paralyzed.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Never seen that card, that's a neat one! They both "kill" mana dorks, which was one of the things I thought was most interesting about rays. I think the only ups rays has over paralyze is for mana-only activations (azorius guildmage). Even guys like grim lavamancer that normally don't care much about, say, narcolepsy still get paralyzed.
In early magic, the only black targeted removal was terror, paralyze, ashes to ashes, weakness and the difficult to find obulette, so paralyze has a really powerful niche in black aggro. Nowadays there are tons of options, even at {B} so I guess paralyze is a little forgettable, but if you can keep the game short it often reads "exile target creature" which when cast on a 3 or 4 drop is amazing.

CML

Contributor
EDIT: Didn't realise this was a re-print... It did bring it to the front of mind for me though. I might give it a playtest...

Is this worth mentioning?
reprisal.jpg

I think it is the cheapest that this ability has ever been printed at. I mean, it is no Swords or Path, but it is a non-black 2-mana card which says 'destroy target creature' on it.

I guess the question is what kind of decks want this card. Control decks cannot use it to remove early aggro creatures (unless the have a Grafted Wargear or something on them), but it is a nice thing to have in hand for post-wrath. Aggressive decks probably want this to remove blockers, but do they have 4+ power? Often early-game blockers are x/3, where x <= 3...

keranosgodofstorms.jpg
pharikagodofaffliction.jpg
nyxweaver.jpg

Maybe
dictateofkarametra.jpg
over
Image.ashx

Potentially
battlefieldthaumaturge.jpg
for the spells deck as many spells do in fact target creatures.

maybe maybe maybe
propheticflamespeaker.jpg
as it is sweet but how many double strikers for 3 do I really want? (the answer is all of them.)

CML

Contributor
this should be, if anything, too comprehensive

tethmos high priest
dictate of heliod
banishing light
dakra mystic
crystalline nautilus
daring thief
master of the feast
tormented thoughts
gnarled scarhide
king macar, the gold-cursed
eidolon of the great revel
prophetic flamespeaker
harness by force
spite of mogis
setessan tactics
disciple of deceit
pharika, god of affliction
athreos, god of passage
ajani, mentor of heroes
temple of epiphany
temple of malady

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I have nineteen cards I want to run and/or test. Not exaggerating.

With the disclaimer that I haven't tried any of the cards yet, it feels like this is the best small set for cube in a long, long time.

Yeah, this set has a lot of cool stuff worth testing. I'm probably only going to end up running less than 5 cards though. But my list is getting pretty solid to where I don't feel the need to make a lot of changes to it unless I'm wanting to tear out and replace an arch type or something. My group rarely gets together anymore too, so the motivation to continue to evolve my list really isn't there right now unfortunately.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Good cards:
Hypnotic Siren
Prophetic Flamespeaker
Temple of Epiphany
Temple of Malady?

Cards I'm intrigued by and will try to make work in some sort of Cube:
Skybind
Tethmos High Priest
Launch the Fleet
Battlefield Thaumaturge
Dakra Mystic
Daring Thief
Dictate of Kruphix
Font of Fortunes
Hour of Need (thoughts on this one? I love the idea of it)
Riptide Chimera
Sage of Hours
Dictate of Erebos
Twinflame
Dictate of Karametra
Font of Fertility
Setessan Tactics
Athreos
Disciple of Deceit

Cards that are probably good enough but don't really interest me:
Eidolon of the Great Revel

Lots of fun to be had in peasant and pauper.
I think we could see a lot of peasant lists turning into something way more similar to theros limited, just without the voltron + bad removal dynamics.

kruphixsinsight.jpg

Graveyards and enchantment based removal spells already have so much potential in pauper, and with a bunch of new pretty playable bestow creatures in the last 2 sets in the common and uncommon slots, my gears are actually turning. Might not be as much of a thing without doubling up on some cards, but I think the tools are all there if you like the old seals and a couple of the new fonts. Just requires some digging.

Another new PEZ/Pauper card that has my interest:

cloakedsiren.jpg

Of course 3 power flash guys are way better when there are permanents in the format they can attack to death.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Hour of Need is the Strive Pognify into 4/4 fliers right?
That card seems SUPER awesome! Ambush two of their guys by casting it on your tapped dudes, eat two creatures and beat for 8 in the air next turn sounds amazing :D
I can't reliably count on my blue decks having any creatures around here, let alone two, but it seems great if you can

give it a shot guys. Even the MTGS crowd is like "this could be good"

These are the good card that i'm planning on running:

Banishing Light
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
Harness by Force
Temple of Malady
Temple of Epiphany

And I'll test these:

Master of the Feast
Prophetic Flamespeaker

...but they are most likely terrible.

I also have no interest in Mana Confluence. I have more than enough good fixing as it stands.

I missed this one. Dictate of Kruphix

That could be really awesome in Ux tempo. Maybe even make a devotion deck possible. I'm really tempted to try it out. Any thoughts (and I apologize if it was already discussed)?

I prefer Jace Beleran, though he's not really your bag?
I mean if theres a fair walker out there, it's Lil' Jace

I played him in a casual deck when Lorwyn came out. I tried to like walkers, I really did. I ran 4 of the 5 originals in decks. And they were all really good - too good (well, except Lili, she wasn't great - the other three were amazing though).