Firebolt (#2)

In:
Firedrinker Satyr
Viashino Slaughtermaster
Cunning Sparkmage
Mizzium Mortars
Molten Rain
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

Red is another crowd favorite. Most common pair to black due to goblin bombardment (likely the strongest sac outlet for gravecrawler) as well as being a strong aggro color, and providing many useful tools for control as well.

And yes, volcanic hammer is still good enough to warrant control decks splashing for a few copies. While straight UR doesn't come together too often, UWR control is a favorite among the drafters, with white filling in red's weakness to 4 toughness creatures, and getting the best sweepers from each color (I've included both Anger of the Gods and Slagstorm, mostly because I don't own a second copy of Anger because of standard, but hey Slagstorm has killed 4 planeswalkers so far). I still think Pyroclasm and Firespout are too strong, but that may change.

Rolling Earthquake is another red control card you should all be proxying (Good god don't buy one. The card is good, not 150$ good. There are rumors of a possible reprint in From the Vault: Annihilation however, so keep it in mind)

Prophetic Flamespeaker has been a joy to play with and against, (with the small exception of ghor-clan rampager closing out games a touch too early) and I don't ever regret doubling up on it. Between him and Viashino Slaughtermaster occasionally being activated off of a city of brass, the double strike deck has been a joy to play with.

Kiki-Jiki recently came back in. I removed her initially because the accidental combo nature of her ability really doesn't mesh well with the predominantly sorcery speed removal my cube offers, but I decided to give her another shot. She's just so cool!

Soul of Shandalar has been preforming well. I feel at 450, if wildfire is a strategy you want to pursue, Red probably needs a 3rd beefy creature in addition to Inferno Titan and Crater Hellion, as most of the wildfire-compatible 4-5 drops don't live up to the hype. (Sorry Ember Swallower. You just never did anything). I tried adding the 3rd copy of wildfire however, and it proved a bit oppressive. Maybe mystical tutor could stand in, but I haven't taken that plunge yet.
One card I'm really liking for the cross archetype synergy is Hound of Griselbrand, as it not only survives wildfire (in a way) but has double strike and doesn't preform horribly with sac outlets. Try him out sometime, red usually needs ways to recoup lost cards anyways.

Current Custom Cards:

Cinder Swordsman {R}
~ can't block
Enchanted Creature gets +2/+2 and can't block
Bestow {2}{R}{R}
2/2

Added about a month before Gnarled Scarhide was spoiled (MTG Hipster Cred), this card is different in a few subtle ways:
-Red is way more likely to want to stun a single creature in my experience
-Double Strike is a red mechanic, so he gets bestowed more often than gnarled scarhide
-Usually red also needs the card neutral pressure that comes with bestowing more than black, which is constantly getting free cards from all the creatures coming back.
That all being said, there's certainly room for both of them right now. Plus being ballsy lets you draft the "can't block" theme deck!

Reckless Pillager {1}{R}
Reckless Pillager can’t be blocked except by 2 or more creatures.
When Reckless Pillager deals damage to an opponent, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
2/1

Another card I likely don't need, but me and my drafters like looting. This card has also shown me how perfectly balanced the red goblin war drums evasion is: Flying is better, but it's still not so much worse that it isn't even considered evasion like juggernaut's (Yeah bet you didn't remember he had an evasion clause did ya!)

Volcanic Cascade {1}{R}
Sorcery
Volcanic Cascade Costs 1 more for each target beyond the first.
Volcanic Cascade deals 3 damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures or players.

Dividable Burn is a hard beast to tame in cube. Control decks love it (Arc Trail was better than most of the rares in scars of mirrodin limited), aggro decks love it too (See searing blaze for the best version for aggro decks) but too much and creature decks have a really hard time winning through the constant 2 for 1s.
This card and arc trail are in a good spot because of the more frequent 3 toughness on some of the 3+ cost creatures. Sometimes it can destroy people, but sometimes 2 damage isn't enough. As well, since it does such a good searing blaze impression, both control and aggro decks want it.

Next: Dinner for me, but after that green.

Added about a month before Gnarled Scarhide was spoiled (MTG Hipster Cred)
me too except before bng even came out
JungleEidolonfull_zps70ed3fbf.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Green

Recent Changes:
Out:
Triumph of Ferocity
Prey's Vengeance

In:
Experiment One
Mayor of Avabruck
Thragtusk
Elvish Mystic #2

Yeah I said it. I like elvish mystic better than llanowar elves. I even took out the foil llanowar elves for a nonfoil elvish mystic I believe it so strongly.

Green has been...odd. It's been preforming well, but never really in the ways I thought it would :p
Green white has been extensively played, though the strategy has never been consistent. Sometimes it's double striky, sometimes it's tokeny, sometimes it's just dudes, but it's all midrange and it does decently and I guess I should be happy about that?
Green certainly has size on it's side. Wolfir Silverheart really dominates a board, and Vorapede is problematic unless you're playing white (Double Oblivion Ring, Double Journey to Nowhere and the Path brothers are white's primary removal suite). As well, Most of my 2-3 drops are considerably larger than their other color counterparts. (Thanks Courser of Kruphix, I guess)

Double Mirri's Guile has been great, though my drafters are only really starting to learn that sometimes you just get 3 lands down there, and that why you draft shuffle effects. I know as soon as you see that card you think "But sylvan library draws you cards!" and sure, it can draw some cards if your opponent is so heavily on the back foot taking 8 does nothing, or you have baneslayer in play. But the simplicity of this card really does shine. I love green's philosophy on card advantage being an efficiency one, making the most out of the few cards it does get, and this is one of the best ways to have that feeling come through.

Double Rancor works well as well. Even with all the sorcery removal, it hasn't been opressive, and control decks can fight back the same way they do against equipment: Kill everything!

Yavimaya Hollow has been another really strong land. Keeping your creatures around is strong, and it can do a paltry maze of ith impression (right where I want it to be). The only thing I don't like about the card is that every time it hits play, I need to put it right in front of my opponent so they can read it while saying "This land is important. You need to remember this land is in play".
Sure, manlands "surprise" blocking is something that happens from time to time, but this card really can just stop people.

Current Custom Cards:

Bestial Mask {1}{G}
Artifact - Equipment
Equip {G}
Equipped creature becomes a 4/4 green beast.

This thing is strong, especially with the two birds of paradise (I love it when the mana is good) and various double strike creatures. Thanks to Lucas for the design by the way.
It does well in basically all the green decks, as the smaller decks want it for the bigger boost, but ramp decks can use it as a solid plan B due to the inclusion of so many mana dorks. It might need to make the creature a 4/3, but I think it's fine.
Not losing their abilities is one of the main draws of this card, so I don't want to remove that.

Burst of Nature {2}{G}
Sorcery
Search your library for a basic land and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
Untap up to three lands.

I have a flexible spot on my 3cc for whatever cool green spell tickles my fancy that week, and this is my current favorite so far. I love that you can cast it for {G}{G}{W}, find a plains, then untap and cast silverblade paladin (Not that that actually happens that often)
Maybe harrow is better, but the art gives this card the edge:
BurstofNature.jpg

Experiment Two {1}{G}
Graft 2
Evolve
0/0
Honestly the cutesy name is just a mental shorthand for people to compare this card to experiment one. Graft and Evolve together has proven to be a strong combination, and sometimes it offers some hard sequencing decisions, but not too often. My drafters quickly understood you couldn't cheat the system by grafting off a counter then evolving off a 2/1 (It's a intervening trigger, so it checks both before and after and only fires if it's met both times)
I know the only way this creature is seeing the light of day is VIA Time Spiral 2: This time with even more rules complexity! but I desperately want it to. Y'all are missin out.

Fang // Claw
{G} // {1}{G}
Instant // Instant
Target creature gains deathtouch until end of turn // Target creature you control fights another target creature.
Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand)

An interesting approach to the green killspell, I can see something like this cropping up in a set in the future, but costing {3}{G}{G} and being a sorcery.
Note: This card hasn't been drafted yet

Heartwood Empath {1}{G}{G}
Cascade
2/2

Shardless Agent is certainly too good in constructed, but I feel too many people miss out on it in cube because it's a UG card, and nobody wants to hit counterspells. Having solved that problem here, the card is awesome but for one drawback: It doesn't trigger when you pod into it.
Now that's not enough of a big deal for me to change the card, but it annoys me to this day :p
Ah well

Instinctive Behavior {1}{G}
Instant
Scry 2, then reveal the top card of your library. If it’s a land, put it onto the battlefield, otherwise put it into your hand.
It knew what tomorrow would bring, though it knew not what tomorrow meant

I kinda love this card, but I kinda hate it as well. It's served as a decent replacement to basic copies of rampant growth in my cube, but it ramps a lot less consistently than I'd like. I love that it does provide the green deck with some filtering though, and 2cc instant preordains are in no way broken, FWIW.
I just had to share the flavor text for this one though, as it's one of the few I'm actually proud of :p
Note: I run three copies of this card.

Next: Artifacts and Multicolor! (Lots of custom artifacts. Man equipment is annoying)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Artifacts

Recent Changes:
Out:
Jinxed Choker
Runechanter's Pike
Runechanter's Pike
Mind Stone
Star Compas
Worldknit
Power Play
Unexpected Potential
Backup Plan
Deal Broker
Cogwork Librarian
Lore Seeker

In:
Gilded Lotus
Everflowing Chalice
All is Dust

The various conspiracy cards came out. Fun while they lasted, they don't really represent what I'm trying to do here, and the complexity is a real cost for a cube like mine with custom cards. (Same reason I don't run a utility draft)

With wildfire becoming a red mainstay, I needed to add an appropiate number of mana rocks, and the exact distribution is in flux.
Currently I have 10 2cc ones, 3 3cc ones, a one 4cc one, and Gilded Lotus. I'm doubling up on Everflowing Chalice, Prismatic Lens, and Mind Stone, as well as a few custom rocks (Naturally).

Moving away from the signet model has really encouraged drafters to look at the rocks more often. Most of the time people would see Azorius Signet and pass over it (correctly or not) because they were in RG ramp, but now that isn't the case.

In addition, I've tried to even out the power level on the equipment available, which sadly means only 4 real pieces of equipment (Out of 8, though I want to add more.)

Current Custom Cards:

Envenomed Blade {2}
Artifact - Equipment
Equip {1}
Equipped creature gets +2/+0 and gains deathtouch

There's two pingers in my cube: Spikeshot Elder and Cunning Sparkmage. More often this actually combines with green to have the lovely little trample + deathtouch combo (For those confused: since trample only specifies you need assign lethal damage to blockers, and deathtouch says any amount of damage is lethal, 1 damage gets assigned to the creature and the rest tramples over)

Ethreal Grasp {3}
Artifact
{1}, Tap: Exile target creature you control, then return it to the battlefield under its owners control. Play this ability only during your turn.

Crystal Shard and Venser, the Sojourner have both proved to be too slow for my cube, and possibly for modern magic all together. I've added this as a slightly lower on the curve alternative to conjurer's closet. The your turn restriction is there to stop it from countering removal for other decks, and it isn't sorcery so you can use it like reconnaissance. (A card which is incidentally quite good. You can activate it after creatures have dealt damage, essentially making it a cheaper alternative to Serra's Blessing that does a decent dolmen gate impression. All that for just {W} 'aint bad.)

Ethreal Wings {1}
Equip {1}
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and gains flying

Nice way to clear board stalls for the double strike or green decks, and decent in others. Both better and worse than bonesplitter

Glarestone {4}
1, T: Tap target artifact, creature or land
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool

This one is a little uninspired. Icy manipulator was never really that great a card for me, and I thought this would make a difference, but it honestly hasn't. It may come out soon.

Golden Borderpost {3}
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

This card taught me to respect cultivate, though it is better in quite a few ways. (Colorless, Draw instead of find a land, don't have to choose which color to go get, etc). It's been a solid card in control and ramp decks, and really helps wildfire decks keep up a little where they usually blow all their cards accellerating out a wildfire. By allowing them to take things a little slower, the deck becomes a little less all in, and that usually means it plays better against control and aggro alike.

Lightstone {2}
Flash
T: add {1} to your mana pool

Another generic 2cc mana rock, though flash does let you capitalize on not needing to mana leak anything. Wildfire decks are usually blue in part, so I thought it could make for some cool gameplay (which is has)

Nullstone Monolith {2}
As ~ enters the battlefield, name a nonland card. Activated abilities of sources with the chosen name can’t be activated.
T: Add 1 to your mana pool

Where phyrexian revoker was a 2/1, this card taps for mana! The design credit goes to Wtwlf, originally under the name Nulling Hearthstone.
It might be a little too strong, but it would be really awful at 3cc. Also, the joy of naming blind and hitting on a card in their hand is just so good. This card convinced me to add phyrexian revoker. (Still not buying pithing needle though)
I should probably change it's wording to match pithing needle though, as the upside of shutting off nonbasics is likely healthier than shutting off birds of paradise, even if I do have to explain that Koth's Middle ability is actually not a mana ability.

Pyrite {3}
When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to target creature or player
T: add one mana of any color to your mana po

This was originally a 3rd Golden Borderpost (see above) but I swapped it when I saw m15's meteorite (and was then bummed it wasn't really good enough for cube)
Note: This card has not been drafted yet

Reaping Sythe {2}
Equip {2}
Equipped creature gets +2/+2
When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

I'll admit it, I love me some sword of light and shadow. It was the sword that stayed in the longest, even after Sword of Fire and Ice if I remember correctly. I always felt most of the swords would be amazing cube cards if they didn't accidentally blank entire decks, so I've tried this out. I haven't been able to play with it yet, but nobody's complained.
Then again, I haven't seen it at the winning tables either. Maybe it needs a small evasion buff?

Shroud of Secrets {1}
Equip {2}
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and has “Whenever this creature deals damage to a player, you may draw a card”

This one is likely the card that needs nerfing. I knew that when I added it, but I can't even remember the last time curiosity was good, so I pushed it a little. Likely what will change is either +1/+1 instead of +2/+1, or make it {2} to cast.

Visionstone {4}
~ enters the battlefield tapped
T: Draw a card

When I abandoned most of the conspiracy card, I decided to swap this in, as I'd wanted to add Coercive Portal before the patch. Technically it's better, since you can switch it off and it has extra synergy with things that can untap artifacts, but I don't currently run any. Maybe I should?

Brass Cave
Land
T, Sacrifice Brass Cave, Pay 1 life: Search your library for a basic land and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

Wizards needs to print this card yesterday. God I love this thing, everything it does for fixing, the fact that it's aggro friendly, even the cutsey flavor text:
In the dull, tarnished amber of its walls lie the remains of a once glorious city.
I chuckle every time :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Multicolor

Recent Changes:

Out:
Ephara, god of the Polis
Vraska the Unseen
Ajani Vengeant
Spellweaving
1UR enchantment

When you cast an instant or sorcery, you may reveal an instant or sorcery from your hand and pay its mana cost. If you do, copy that instant or sorcery, you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost

In
Drogskul Reaver
Reaper of the Wilds
Boros Charm
Drakenest Cove (See below)

Reaper is spiritmonger for the new age, I think. I worry that it's a little too hard for control decks to kill, but the scry ability looks to be amazing.

Ephara does work well, but I found she was almost never a creature, and her draw ability wasn't enough on it's own to justify her spot.
Drogskul Reaver has done really well. It doesn't beat down as hard as frost titan, gain life as early as baneslayer, or draw cards as well as consecrated sphinx, but sometimes as a control deck you find you've drawn the wrong win condition, wishing you had another. Consecrated Sphinx when you're at 2, Baneslayer when you're at 28 with no cards in hand etc. I like that he shores up each weakness control decks want a fatty for, and he survives wildfire to boot!

Man, I don't know how many of you read my wildfire primer, but man is it becoming apparent yet how key the 4 damage on that spell is? Destructive force is just that much harder to make work because of how hard it is to find a 6/6.

I'm currently reducing my overall planeswalker count after noticing just how many green/white/blue or some combination end up amassing. As well, between Boros Reckoner/Ajani Vengeant, and at one point lightning helix, control decks were getting a lot of love among my red/white section. Boros Charm is there to help aggro it up again.

Current Custom Cards:

Drakenest Cove
Land
~ entes the battlefield tapped
T: Add {U} or {R} to your mana pool
{1}{U}{R}: ~ becomes a 3/3 blue and red elemental creature with flying until end of turn.

I felt that if there was a control deck that needed a stealth win-condition/way to grind out opposing control decks, it was UR. I didn't really have many ideas for it, so I decided to shyly ape creeping-tar pit as an easy way to get my drafters to like it. It blocks better though, which is nice.

Multicolor cards I've been loving:
-Dack's Duplicate: Haste on clones is boss, and dethrone is randomly awesome. This thing creates some sweet stories.
-Qasali Pridemage: I may have removed the cards in my cube that need to be answered by disenchant, but due to the enchantment creatures and the odd other thing (Shardless Agent is an artifact creature! Who knew?)
-Azorious Charm: Sure the main mode is the griptide one, but lifelink is randomly useful and the cycling is also good.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
What prompted the double vampire nighthawk?

Black decks were killing themselves too often :p

I've tried experimenting with removing some of the life payment cards, but honestly the problem is likely the sorcery speed answers.
White can later pop down a baneslayer and recoup the lost life caused by taking your lumps for the first few turns, but black had no such card.

I actually tried adding a black baneslayer angel, but it felt wrong to me.

Eventually I remembered that eric had complained that x2 nighthawk was totally overpowered, so I figured that makes it perfect for me :p (I'll stop poking fun at you one day mate, I promise :p)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
It's funny - I don't actually have a lot of life gain in black, but people quickly figured out they could pair white life gain with black life payment cards. Vault of the Archangel in the utility land pile went a long way towards that. Thus, a powerhouse of an archetype was born - B/W pay life midrange - that gets drafted almost every event. I think the best part was that this wasn't a deck I tried to sculpt, but something the players discovered on their own.

I kinda want you to be playing at least a little reanimation. Necromancy is super cool man and pretty fair. You have enough stuff supporting it right? Thought about that discard owl and upping your equipment power a bit? You have the blue cards to make attacking blue decks. Although light on the 1 and 2 drops making pressure blue decks more midrangey.

ummm other things....
- Just from mock drafts I'm a little concerned with your incinerate saturation (I mean the card profile not the actual card) I'm pretty sure I had a draft with 3 hammers, I kinda like incinerates a lot but it raises my eyebrows. I do think making most of them sorceries is a great way to try to balance how great reds removal is compared to everyone else.

- Hows double damnation doing for you, I always wanted to ask!

- I'm damn sure I saw that viashino double striker more than once in one draft. Is it actually good? Is pump + doublestrike actually fun if instant speed removal is hard to come by? Is there a way to make non black aggressive decks more interesting / trick heavy without making it all board based or decreasing the power level too much?

- Sorting man lands by their activation costs makes it sorta confusion when I'm building decks in the tutor and I kinda don't think of them at all that way when I'm building real decks. I'm interested as to your reasoning.

- Do you really like 4x pod?

- How do you feel about grave titan, people really hate that guy, and I find it leads to control decks resembling midranged decks.

- How do you feel about your mana rock saturation, I love that you run wildfire but people really hate on that inclusion in formats and I find them sorta weird to negotiate unless you have a lot of card sifting (thirst for knowledge comes to mind)

Been too long man, love to hear from ya again!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I kinda want you to be playing at least a little reanimation. Necromancy is super cool man and pretty fair. You have enough stuff supporting it right? Thought about that discard owl and upping your equipment power a bit? You have the blue cards to make attacking blue decks. Although light on the 1 and 2 drops making pressure blue decks more midrangey.
Maybe on the reanimation. I feel like I do want some random valuey reanimation card (Unearth for now) but I don't think unburial rites is the card I want. No clue what it actually is though.

I have the cards to make blue attacking decks, but I don't have the 1-2 drops because NONE EXIST. (Seriously go look, nothing good in blue costs 2)
And while I could add a playset of phantasmal bears, I don't really want blue to be an aggro color (4 is probably too many)

But on the other hand, I don't have anything else for it to do. Blue decks can't all be control, can they? Every other color has some sort of synergy deck, or an aggro plan, or something, but blue just has Control/Midrange.
Whats more, all the ideas I keep coming out with are all synergy based aggro decks. I really have no clue what to do here

ummm other things....
- Just from mock drafts I'm a little concerned with your incinerate saturation (I mean the card profile not the actual card) I'm pretty sure I had a draft with 3 hammers, I kinda like incinerates a lot but it raises my eyebrows. I do think making most of them sorceries is a great way to try to balance how great reds removal is compared to everyone else.

You did get all 3 hammers for reference, but there is a lot of 2cc 3 damage burn. I feel it's a good spot for red removal to be in, as lightning bolt is really good and most of the 3 mana 3 damage burn is pretty bad. There's also a stealthy ammount of 4 toughness dudes as well.

- Hows double damnation doing for you, I always wanted to ask!
It's been great! Black control has still been kinda rare, but it's way better than before. Getting the second foil one will be taxing though.

- I'm damn sure I saw that viashino double striker more than once in one draft. Is it actually good? Is pump + doublestrike actually fun if instant speed removal is hard to come by? Is there a way to make non black aggressive decks more interesting / trick heavy without making it all board based or decreasing the power level too much?
I've recently added in a second, yes. I like him better than fencing ace most of the time because red usually has more room for a dorky 2/1, and I've seen his ability activated a few times off of city of brass and the like.
the double strike deck is usually leaning harder on silverblade paladin, who basically represents more damage than any 3 drop rightly should. It's fun, but it's less trick heavy and more equipment/rancor/anthem-y.

I think it's fun and it does make for a nice deck, but it might be coming out for sake of variety soon.
- Sorting man lands by their activation costs makes it sorta confusion when I'm building decks in the tutor and I kinda don't think of them at all that way when I'm building real decks. I'm interested as to your reasoning.
It's kinda their activation +1, since the land needs to swing. I'm mostly sorting things by where you can use them to make sure you have enough options at each CMC. They're deffinitly deckbuilding zeros though, so maybe I should swap them over on cubetutor.

- Do you really like 4x pod?
I've never been able to put a pod deck together, and I think most people really want 3 in the deck, but my cube isn't 360 cards after all, so 4 seems like the right number. 5 seems insane to me, but I'd never really thought of it.
- How do you feel about grave titan, people really hate that guy, and I find it leads to control decks resembling midranged decks.
Grave Titan to me says: This will take a lot of cards to beat. How many do you have left? He's been fine for me.
A lot of my control win conditions are really hard to win around (Avenger of Zendikar, Hornet Queen, Baneslayer Angel, etc) which has been working well.
Also, occasionally they get threatened, and then you lose anyways.
- How do you feel about your mana rock saturation, I love that you run wildfire but people really hate on that inclusion in formats and I find them sorta weird to negotiate unless you have a lot of card sifting (thirst for knowledge comes to mind)

I'm loving how I have rocks now: 2cc taps for colorless but can do something else, 3cc gets you darksteel ingot + upside. (Well, other than fire diamond)
Wildfire is annoying when it goes off before the aggro deck can ammount any pressure. I've found it takes a lot to assemble 5+ toughness creature + untap + wildfire without A) Dying first, B) it getting killed because it was the only target for their removal, or C) Them having a more threatening boardstate post wildfire. (Yeah Vorapede was good like that).

It's most been included as a way to make red control not just a splash for removal, and It's been sweet. Occasionally you do just go Titan into wildfire, but if that is all you do and win, something went wrong on their end.

Yeah you totally get my red control issue of often seeming like just a splash to make a different control deck's removal better. I actually really like how much pressure red can add in this era of every deck having high pick efficient bodies at most mana costs. I've played a lot of decks that resemble control decks but are somehow playing 10 creatures or more and I wonder if it's more midranged leakage or if it's something I should be happy about.

My main issue with the red control deck is I always notice how super 6 heavy it is for a colour that doesn't innately fix it's draws or search it's library for lands etc. Like it's usually really super six heavy.

I feel like 2 pods in a pod deck is probz super fine, it's not like your kitchen finks or your graduated curve or your graveyard synergies are gonna be a terrible deck if you don't draw em lol!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Dryad Militant
Precinct Captain
Ajani's Presence
Mirrorweave
Guardian Spirit ( {W}, instant stave off with convoke)
Kira, Great Glass Spinner
Man-o'-war (#2)
Fettergeist
Sphinx of Lost Truths
Sever the Bloodline
Stubborn Weight (a 2/1 Butcher Ghoul)
Juzam Efreet (Black Serendib Efreet)
Firedrinker Satyr
Spikeshot Elder
Tuktuk the Explorer
Slagstorm
Sulfuric Vortex
Mayor of Avabruck
Green Sun's Zenith
Vorapede
Overgrown Arena (Land, T: add {1}, {G}{G}T: Prey Upon, only use as sorcery)
Fang // Claw (G instant, target creature gains deathtouch until end of turn. Fuse// G1, instant, pit fight. Fuse)
Instinctive Behavior #2-3 ( {G}{1}, instant, scry 2, then reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card put it onto the battlefield, otherwise put it in your hand)
Burst of Nature ( {G}{2}, Sorcery, Rampant Growth, Untap up to 3 lands)
Garruk, Primal Hunter
Baleful Strix
Domri Rade
Hero of Bladehold
Armageddon
Cataclysm
Loyal Eidolon #2 ( {W} 2/1, Bestow {W}{3})
Aged Mentor ( {W}{1} 2/1, when ~ enters the battlefield, you may put a +1/+1 counter on another target creature)
Auger of Bolas
Snapcaster Mage (#2)
Riftwing Cloudskate
Spell Pierce
Unearth
Sygg, River Cutthroat
Dauntless Corpse ( {B}{1}, 2/1 Undying. When ~ enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice it. If you don't, tap it)
Cinder Swordsman #2 ( {R}, 2/2 Can't Block, Bestow {R}{R}{2})
Stromkirk Noble
Firebolt #2
Mark of Mutiny #2
Firespout
Brindle Shoat #1-2
Haunted Creeper ( {G}{1}, 1/2 Reach. When ~ dies, put two 1/1 white spirit creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield)
Vengevine #2
Derranged Hermit
Nourish #1-2 ( {G}{1}, sorcery, Rampant Growth, Cycling {G}{G}{3}. When you cycle ~, you may draw a card)
Verdant Haven
Nissa, Worldwaker
Riptide Sea Witch ( {U}{B}{1}, 3/2 Fear. When ~ enters the battlefield, you may search your opponent's library for a card and exile it. That player shuffles their library and puts the exiled card on top)
Kessig Wolf Run

It's interesting my cube won't actually end up containing that many Hearthstone mechanics :p
I'd initially brainstormed a bunch of cards I'd want over in the hearthstone thread, but it turns out my favorite of the bunch doesn't actually translate that well: Silence (Though not for the reasons you think)
I'd templated the ability fine enough (Exile, then replace with token with same P/T) but the fact that a sac outlet nullifies any lasting effect this would have on prime target gravecrawler, combined that targeting thragtusk/reveilark is actively bad and that a bunch of other creatures don't lose that much from becoming vanilla (I'm looking at you titans) kept these cards out of my cube for now.

I did end up including a few cards with a few modifications. Haunted Creeper makes its way into green, though the tokens it makes have flying now because I actually think that makes more sense for flavor reasons).
Nourish has become my ramp spell of choice, and while certainly inspired by it's hearthstone counterpart (5 mana, gain 2 mana crystals or draw 3 cards) I wanted something cheaper on the ramp end because my cube doesn't really have a rampant growth effect to speak of.
And technically, Aged Mentor ( {W}{1} 2/1, put a +1/+1 counter on another creature) is inspired by shattered sun cleric (3 mana, but a 3/2 in hearthstone), even if I had the idea years ago :p

Edit: Balls, Nourish is a card.

Red's recently had a lot of trouble dealing with larger (Read: 4+ toughness) creatures, so I've added in another threaten effect to help punish people who think they can just jam 5cc creatures and hold their own.
I've also doubled up on my bestow twins Cinder Swordsman and Loyal Eidolon. I felt the double strike deck wanted a little more help, and I'd been wanting to replace the 1 drops who left for them for a while now. Dryad militant is great and all, but I'm trying to steer people away from green aggro, and the other rules text rarely came up anyways. I tried Firedrinker Satyr for a while, but I definitely dislike jackel pup, even if it's better this time around. I don't think he'll be coming back in.

The Nissa/Garruk swap is a nerf, I'll admit, but I feel it was a needed one. Big Poppa Garruk is one of the hardest planeswalkers to beat on a flat board, and I've excluded the only planeswalker I feel is harder (Elspeth, Sun's Champion). We'll see how she plays.

Lastly: How does everyone like Riptide Sea Witch?
RiptideSeaWitch.jpg

I promise this isn't a dig at anyone on these boards (I'm not actually sure we have any female members at the moment...) But I wanted a Geist-like tempo creature for Blue/Black, without invoking the player feeling of bullshit. (Which Geist sometimes does provide)
The sadistic part of me wishes it also lost the player 2 life to properly mirror Vampiric Tutor, but that might be too stronk. We'll see how she pans out.

As always, I've still got my ear to the ground for suggestions, particularly if you have any sweet black 2 drops or mid-size (Smaller than Sword of X & Y) equipment ideas.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You could make it trigger off casting rather than ETB?

I could, but I want to see if my worries are founded first :p Some people do like this sort of thing, and there are times finding lands for your opponent each turn won't be enough.

I just want to see how they feel first

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Alrighty, another new patch. Its not been that long since my last one, but I'd been sitting on those notes for way too long.

Silverblade Paladin #2
Emeria Angel
Blind Obedience
Journey to Nowhere
Training Regime ( {W}{1}, Half a Glory of Warfare)
Path of Bravery
Oblivion Ring #2

Stumblethought ( {U}{1}, 1/1 flying, flash, Changeling, + force spike)
Sphinx of Lost Truths
Scourge of Fleets
Wash Away ( {U}, Strive {U}{1}, bounce any # of target creatures)
Operation Table ( {U}{1}, T, sac a creature: draw a card. Play this ability only on your turn)
Into the Roil
Thirst for Knowledge
Tidings
Gnarled Scarhide
Mesmeric Shambler (Mesmeric Fiend but 2/1)

Herald of Torment
Unearth

Borderland Marauder
Pillar of Flame
Searing Blaze
Madcap Skills
Mark of Mutiny
Mogis's Warhound

Brindle Shoat
Brindle Shoat
Hornet Queen

Field Researcher has moved from a drawing a card on entering to drawing a card on dying, and Nourish (the rampant growth/inspiration variant I have) has been renamed Nourishing Touch because check out what that mouseover gives you :p

I'm trying out this whole delver thing, thus the shift from more enchantment based cards to some more instant and sorcery based ones (Oblivion Ring for Council's Judgment, Mogis's Warhound for Volt Charge, Emeria Angel for Battle Screech etc). Mostly I've stuck to the more sorcery speed removal here, but I'm well aware that instants are allowed so long as they're rare (Bolt, Path), akward (tragic slip) or comparatively expensive (Hero's Downfall)

Hornet Queen actually came out based on complaints from one of my players. It's always nice to see my player sit and think about the question "Well, what would you run instead?". I don't think my green section needs another high cost creature that makes it incredibly hard to lose (Avenger of Zendikar) and while I think they're both fine choices, avenger has enough odd little restrictions on it that make it a little more fun to play against that makes it the right choice for me right now. Maybe later when there's more opponent only sweeper effects (Much like hearthstone, which gives aggro decks incentives to run cards they wouldn't otherwise care for, like pyroclasm) or fliers become to central to creature combat in my cube hornet queen will be the right choice, but for now I'm benching it. Still want a foil copy for all those formats where I only play with the cards I include, not against them :p