General The Constructed thread

Between irl drafting khans, posting here, participating in #gamergate propaganda, and grinding away at the evil within, I've had a busy few days. That being said, what happened to devotion decks?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
If you're an idiot like I am, and playing a 3 colour deck, like jeskai, you might be more comfortable playing cruise than alternatives because dig is disadvantaged if you aren't in tune with ambiguity/ you are playing a super redundant deck / you aren't leaning on a lot of instant moments / you have shitty/ painful mana.

Just crappy personal experience here. I think there is a lot to be learned about the difference between these obviously compared delve spells and we are at the door of a master class of learning the shit out of redundant options.

Allow me.

"Good sirs,

I would like to raise again, the subject of treasure cruise v. dig through time. At the recent pro tour, many pros seemed of the opinion that dig through time was just strictly better than treasure cruise, but I am starting to doubt that. If you are like me, and playing a 3 color deck, I think cruise may be better in certain situations. For example, maybe you have enough redundency in your deck where the spell selection of dig dosen't matter, or your deck dosen't place a high value on dig being an instant, or your mana base struggles with dig's {U}{U} casting cost.

This is just based on personal experience, but I am beginning to think maybe this isn't as clear cut as the pros make it out to be. I think there is a lot to learn from comparing these delve spells; though both spells may seem to fill the same niche, I think we are all about to get a lesson in how different seemingly comparable spells can be."

I know neologisms are in style today, but we should all take a deep breath, and remember to show some restraint before trying to incentivize the synergistic dissimulation of language option matrices in today communication alleyways.

:)

Also, I agree and think you are spot on. They are different draw engines, and one is not strictly better than the other.

GenericZero:
They all died to Jeskai.

Lucre:
The main deck that played Dig was Jeskai. If your mana can support it, Dig is generally just better in Standard. The typical Standard deck plays 24+ mana sources, mostly spells that cost 2-4 mana, and spells that have drastic shifts in value based on the game state; all of these point to Dig being better in general.
Also you can very easily skew your mana towards casting Dig in Jeskai, given that there aren't a ton of RR or WW spells that are better than having ready access to Dig. Brimaz is the only maindeckable WW card that needs to be cast on time, Ashcloud Phoenix and Stoke the Flames let you cheat on their actual red-producing land requirements if need be.

Allow me.

"Good sirs,

I would like to raise again, the subject of treasure cruise v. dig through time. At the recent pro tour, many pros seemed of the opinion that dig through time was just strictly better than treasure cruise, but I am starting to doubt that. If you are like me, and playing a 3 color deck, I think cruise may be better in certain situations. For example, maybe you have enough redundency in your deck where the spell selection of dig dosen't matter, or your deck dosen't place a high value on dig being an instant, or your mana base struggles with dig's {U}{U} casting cost.

This is just based on personal experience, but I am beginning to think maybe this isn't as clear cut as the pros make it out to be. I think there is a lot to learn from comparing these delve spells; though both spells may seem to fill the same niche, I think we are all about to get a lesson in how different seemingly comparable spells can be."

I know neologisms are in style today, but we should all take a deep breath, and remember to show some restraint before trying to incentivize the synergistic dissimulation of language option matrices in today communication alleyways.

:)

Also, I agree and think you are spot on. They are different draw engines, and one is not strictly better than the other.
Yo I was also hella drunk because my birthday was yesterday and when I got horizontal I checked my messages and decided to talk about my experiences playing card games recently.

I always thought that card looked great but assumed that players for some reason couldn't find the slots for it within their weird green combo deck shell.

CML

Contributor
its definitely good but i dunno if your green 5 slot is soft enough. game warden is not nearly as cool as wolfir silverheart, for example, and may even be lamer than acidic slime and thornling, though it is certainly sweeter than deranged hermit

can hooting mandrills be a card? is it just worse than goyf? it's resilient to bolt which is strong against all the UR decks in modern (but so is goyf usually). playing the right number of delve cards in your deck can turn thought scour into a cantripping dark ritual and mandrills seems like fairly good payoff

CML

Contributor
well our cubes are in a weird spot for delve. on one hand in limited these cards have some support and the format cares less about mana inefficiency so mandrills and tombstalkers are great and necky fiend is a dumb bomb and treasure cruise is fine as mysteries of the deep or something. on the other hand there is constructed where delve is a completely busted mechanic that may put things on the "delve scale" and not the "storm scale" because it works well with other cheap spells that are preposterous cards. in our cubes the curve is higher than constructed and lower than limited and the delve guys will, in the average deck, cost too much to make up for the additional demand on mana. so we need a theme, which is what i typed out for the "khans update" in that thread.

Laz

Developer
Things I have learned from this standard format: I just can't beat people who have all four Siege Rhinos in the stop 20 cards of their deck two games running.

Hushwing Gryf to the rescue!

I've been having mild success with esper control. Haven't lost a single game to midrange in four different five-rounders.

Hey kittens, I know this doesn't block but does it die to anything MD and do you think it's easy enough to protect for black control decks in standard