GBS

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think the distinction is made for the same reason a bunch of people don't like "Disabled Person": People don't like being defined by their disability, so suggust "Person with Disability" instead so they're a person first. Maybe similar concept?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think the distinction is made for the same reason a bunch of people don't like "Disabled Person": People don't like being defined by their disability, so suggust "Person with Disability" instead so they're a person first. Maybe similar concept?
Huh. I like this train of thought.

I had always thought that came about because Disabled Person sounds like someone who Can't Do, whereas Person with Disability is someone who Can Do Except For One Certain Thing.

Edit: I guess that is basically the same thing that you're saying.

I'd probably avoid any use of the word "color" to describe a black person. Anything other than "black person" sounds strange to me when I say it.

"Which barista are referring to?"
"The person of color."

See, it's legit but who says that.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I had always thought that came about because Disabled Person sounds like someone who Can't Do, whereas Person with Disability is someone who Can Do Except For One Certain Thing.

Edit: I guess that is basically the same thing that you're saying.

I'd probably avoid any use of the word "color" to describe a black person. Anything other than "black person" sounds strange to me when I say it.

"Which barista are referring to?"
"The person of color."

See, it's legit but who says that.

There was actually an interesting occurrence of this at my LGS, last time heather went in for a draft:

"Hey, I'm looking for my round 2 opponent, Tyler?"
*T.O. points to the overweight, bald black man currently kissing his husband*
"The guy with the starbucks cup"

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm not done writing haiku!

the workday is done
biking home, a red-tinged sky
the first light of spring

Sunday afternoon
what music feels like on Thursday
slowly drifting away

any captain knows
worries are measured in knots
my stomach, tied down

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I just had a lovely holiday in which I learned to snowboard and got given a tattoo machine. Now there are literally hundreds of unread posts on here and I cannot be bothered. Anybody revolutionise cubing while I was gone?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I just had a lovely holiday in which I learned to snowboard and got given a tattoo machine. Now there are literally hundreds of unread posts on here and I cannot be bothered. Anybody revolutionise cubing while I was gone?

Yup. You missed it, but we're all playing Yu-Gi-Oh now. The latest expansion really opened up design space, so we started making cubes.

I've always wanted to draft Pokemon somehow. The evolutions would HAVE to be squadroned with the relevant basic pokemon, I think. They do have a sealed format so it's not completely implausible?