General The Pro Tour Sucks

I wish i remembered my twitch account so I could remind the people ragging on cmls shit that they aren't nearly as interesting as he is.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I must say, pretty tight play against the UG devotion player. You played around Silumgar Sorcerer and Stratus Dancer very patiently.

Aoret

Developer
Any link to youtube or twitch highlights? I hate watching magic coverage, but given the circumstances it seems like a thing.

Any link to youtube or twitch highlights? I hate watching magic coverage, but given the circumstances it seems like a thing.

the quarterfinal against an MGA brew is pretty sweet, the semifinal was three very tight games

at some point i think the commentators talk about the legends tech shirt / the article this thread's originally about but i forget when, sorry!

Props CML sweet deck! That was a really well-played Top 8, especially against that Collected Company brew. Did that guy just not count up correctly when he YOLO'd that all-in swing?

Reading this helped me overcome the final hurdle of selling my "competitive" MTGO collection, dismantling the shell of a belief that tournaments populated with the average MTG competitive enthusiast could ever create a positive experience for me.

And the reddit link brought me back to riptide just in time to see Modin's child displayed over the forum balcony!

I feel like a PT champion!!!

CML

Contributor
Props CML sweet deck! That was a really well-played Top 8, especially against that Collected Company brew. Did that guy just not count up correctly when he YOLO'd that all-in swing?

Oh man OK. So here's where Magic coverage fails us -- I played really badly the first couple of games, and it can be hard for the viewers to tell, even if you're super-interested. G2 is pretty straightforward and I'll let you guys annotate what a farce of fuckups it was. G1 is a little subtler. While he had Stratus Dancer I tutored for Cut while really far ahead and seem to recall exiling Queen and Deathmist earlier on (maybe this was G2), at any rate I nearly let him back in and my win percentage plummeted from 99 to 95 to 50 to 20, like the Packers' in the NFC Championship, except then he punted (metaphorically). G3 I played brilliantly. In general I played every game very well or totally shit. Getting Cut for his Stratus Dancer was necessary and Crux'ing brought me great joy.

I didn't have many decisions m1 since he got screwed and flooded but the Swiss match against that guy was very close, another I played very well.

My mono-Red match on Camera at http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/4612775?t=4h15m00s give or take a few minutes was my best play. I'll add the link to the Tumblr page. Everything else is on there.

The Finals were also trivial.

The best part of the tourney was everyone's reaction. It seemed like half the hall had read my article on day 1. I got accosted by Patrick Sullivan. The professionalism of the commentary surprises me looking back on that interaction and everything else. There will be a tourney report in the next few days.

CML

Contributor
Well... Play to your outs. If that out includes your opponent making a mistake, well, so be it! :p

I could've played Courser and tried to hit an untapped land FTW but decided that was less likely than hoping he'd punt. A good read by me! Doom Blading the Flamewake also brought me joy. Aside from that being able to turn around g1 by attacking right every time, playing the Wayfinder to mill Whip after he blocked a lot, fetching with Delta for a very relevant 1 damage to be able to Cut the next turn with my preferred play, etc. Magic coverage will just never do justice to how brilliantly and horrendously I played throughout the weekend; it will never transmit the complexity of these situations, and I'm not sure how much we can slag off commentators for this when there are far worse things to beef about. I guess the best model would be Gabe Kaplan from High Stakes Poker but televised poker is in its death throes and I vaguely regret not writing some kind of article about it because in retrospect it must have been hugely important to eSports and hey, nobody ever really talks about that progenitor

The Magic media will also not do justice to the fact I was not entirely sober ... until I finish my article

While we're at it, I wonder if there would be more interest in Vampires Reddit-wise.

A friend also proposed I should write an ~80-page document about Magic that is a mix of personal reminiscence, gonzo things, corporate éxposé, scandalous gossip and dumb illustrations. Such a book, given physical form, might be a collector's object on the order of an Ojutai if not a Lotus, or so he says. What do you guys think?

If they accurately reported a winner's mistakes, it would damage the narrative that winners & pros are awesome supreme beings whom we should all aspire to become.

I want MtG shoutcasters. Or maybe even just LSV and TWoo announcing everything. Hell, Erwin may not be bright, but he's the best hype man in the MtG game. If we're gonna have shills for announcers, at least let them be energetic types that aren't ashamed to geek out or have a little personality. I'm also sick of looking at Rich Hagon. He's not a bad guy but he's hard for me to like.

Like really hard to like.

I may somewhat despise that man.