The Video Game Thread

Aoret

Developer
More arrows and start with a shield, but yes. (Also the leading player starts with fewer arrows, which is, IMO the biggest disadvantage if more than two people are playing) I wouldn't recommend playing no auto-balance unless you're 1v1ing with another competitive gamer type. It makes skill gaps incredibly apparent, probably even more so in 3 or 4 player free for all. Symmetrical treasure, on the other hand, you should probably always play with even for casual games.

If you do have a fairly competitive buddy to play against and you're both developing your skill at the same time, you'll most likely experience one player after the other go on a lengthy win streak as new movement patterns and attack vectors are learned. You probably experienced some of that already in just a single play session in a party atmosphere (one guy always learns to level-wrap arrows before everyone else, etc)

I managed to get Melee Netplay up and running last night. It was pretty playable with someone just the other side of London and pretty unplayable with someone in Chicago.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I managed to get Melee Netplay up and running last night. It was pretty playable with someone just the other side of London and pretty unplayable with someone in Chicago.

Which version of Dolphin do you have? If you can get 652 installed we can try playing together. For some reason 6554 doesn't show graphics for me, and I haven't been able to fix it. London -> Belgium might be manageable lag.

I have 6554 at the moment but I'm sure I can try getting 652 as well

Edit: I warn you I am not very good, and playing Smash 4 a bunch has if anything made me worse as I've lost the l cancelling muscle memory and I keep airdodging off stage.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I have 6554 at the moment but I'm sure I can try getting 652 as well

Edit: I warn you I am not very good, and playing Smash 4 a bunch has if anything made me worse as I've lost the l cancelling muscle memory and I keep airdodging off stage.

The best thing about fighting games is that we can correct for this by me playing Captain Falcon. But I'm also not that good either.

Also, you're in London? Do you ever hang with Jamesy James?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Where you do live? Did we go over this once already? If you go to any tournaments (is there a GP coming up?) I would totally bring a cube or something.

Where you do live? Did we go over this once already? If you go to any tournaments (is there a GP coming up?) I would totally bring a cube or something.

Watford, I don't usually head down to London to play but I'll probably be at GP London. Not sure if I'm going to play the main event yet.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Aren't you permanently on the road? ;) Oh! And haven't you promised us part 2 of your hitchhiking in Canada story, like, ages ago? The first part was an awesome read (though sad at parts).

James and I were just talking about this earlier today. He told me "Part 2 is soon". so. you heard it here first.

Aoret

Developer
I kinda just want more riptide stories in general. That's sort of a weird thing to say since everyone has their own style. There does exist some kinda common thread though in all of the random non-magic stuff I've read here. The hitching stories, the cml novella, the jason okc tales. I can't pin down what aforementioned commonality is, but I sense that it's there.

But yes, hurry up and give us part 2 James :D

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
CML, along with the goldfish killing guy, always disparages tournament reports for having no human content. I think a common thread is an interest in humans and human interaction. But that's pretty broad, and yet, not represented on other magic sites, to my memory at least.

Aoret

Developer
You're probably onto something there James. I feel like there's some other nuance to it that's just a little too ephemeral to pin down, but I think the bulk of the similarity is that all of these stories are fundamentally about people's interactions with one another in arbitrary (more or less "normal") life situations.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Maybe we're trying to find meaning in the mundane: Jason trying to laid, me avoiding people trying to get laid, cml...playing magic.
I'm getting too pretentious here. Let me know if you pin it down.

Edit: wait, C's novella... was that about him trying to get laid? Or some crazy girl trying to get laid? I think I found the theme.

Aoret

Developer
I feel like I should probably start contributing content. The last seven years of my life have some interesting parallels to the last seven years of Jason's...

time to go re-read everything you guys have done so I can copy your styles and keep things cohesive :p

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I feel like I should probably start contributing content. The last seven years of my life have some interesting parallels to the last seven years of Jason's...

time to go re-read everything you guys have done so I can copy your styles and keep things cohesive :p

We should feed our articles into a neural network and get it to generate RL content. Perfect! Maybe we can feed it winning modo matches, get it to win tournaments, and then generate tournament reports.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Alright, Rocket League is incredible.
I've been playing it in the alps with 4 people on one computer, with Xbox controllers. We have it hooked up to a swagger out projector and we're playing online. It's so fun!

We might play some towerfall today too :D

Edit: and we played some gangbeasts, which was hilarious. Yesterday was a great day, I had a Skype interview and pretty much got accepted for a masters, then got an email from a tutee telling me she got an A in math. What a great day! Fucking love the alps.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been playing it in the alps with 4 people on one computer, with Xbox controllers. We have it hooked up to a swagger out projector and we're playing online. It's so fun!

Edit: and we played some gangbeasts, which was hilarious. Yesterday was a great day, I had a Skype interview and pretty much got accepted for a masters, then got an email from a tutee telling me she got an A in math. What a great day! Fucking love the alps.

You going to get Rocket League up and running back in London town?

Aoret

Developer

Sounds awesome dude. Also, glad I got you guys to try TF. Also, also, shameless plug for this stupid tumblr I made full of TowerFall replay gifs of me doing next level shit to my friends: