The Dandy Cube (Chris Taylor's Cube)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Honestly you guys are probably right, I'm just trying to make sure you know the bar for competition is low here :p

It won't be the first 2/3 for 2 with downside in my cube, and his blue brother (Link) has been a decent card, and blue's competition is similarly flabby.
I'm going to see how he plays, and if he's as horrible as you say and all my black 2 drops need to be custom other than Bob, Bloodghast and Blood Artist then so be it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
3zW90Mt.jpg

So this is embarrassing...
Sturdy Gives the creature a shield counter, but removes a charge counter...
Also it kinda doesn't work properly at present, since it doesn't actually specify you don't regenerate the creature if you can't remove that charge counter :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Sturdy (This creature enters the battlefield with a shield counter on it. Whenever it would be destroyed, if there is a shield counter on it, it isn't. Instead remove a shield counter from it, and remove all damage from it.)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Actual Patch notes:
Mardu Woe-Reaper --> Perigrine Scout (See above)

Riverwheel Apprentice x3 (U 1/2 prowess: gains flying) --> Breezedrifter Sentry x3 (See Above)
Discordant Soul #2 (U1 2/3 opp gets to fateseal you) --> Sea Gate Oracle
Silumgar Sorcerer --> Whirler Rogue

Bloodsoaked Champion #4 --> Gravecrawler #3
Mardu Shadowspear --> Diregraf Ghoul
Carrion Feeder #2 --> Mardu Outcast (Black Mardu Woe-Reaper)
Tragic Slip --> Nameless Horror (B1 2/1 Nantuko Husk)
Demonic Tutor --> Vampire Nighthawk
Phyrexian Arena --> Gurmag Angler

Monastery Swiftspear x2 --> Bloodfire Exuberant x2 (See above)
Conquering Manticore --> Siege-Gang Commander
Magmatic Insight --> Ancient Mantra (See above)
Barrage of Expendables --> Goblin Bombardment
Firebolt --> Geistbolt (See above)
Hell's Thunder --> Exquisite Firecraft

Elderwood Sentinel (G1 2/2 Servant of the Scale) --> Ulvenwald Tracker
Den Protector --> Wall of Roots
Qarsi Rot Sage (G1 2/1 Exploit: Rampant Growth) --> Nest Invader
Caretaker (G1 2/2 when it dies, pay {1} to evolutionary leap)--> Nest Invader (Fuck I love nest invader)
Tuskguard Captain --> Haunted Creeper (See above, straight outta hearthstone)
Gitaxian Shambler (2GG 3/3 w/counters, ETB: Proliferate) --> Cytoplast Root-Kin
Growth Spasm --> Nissa, Vastwood Seer
Awakening Zone --> Primal Splicer (Blade Splicer but with trample)
Garruk, Primal Hunter --> Nissa, Worldwaker

<Nothing> --> Epochrasite
<Nothing> --> Hangarback Walker (Somehow people on the pro tour say this thing is insane. Maybe they're right?)

Turns out I was two cards down :p
-Barrage of Expendables is actually that awful.
-Temple Watch now makes flying tokens
-Grand Strategy now playable in non +1/+1 counter decks
-1 power prowess creatures are tending to be closer to 1 power creatures on average than 2 power creatues, so I'm buffing them to be better when untriggered
-It's entirely possible Ancient Mantra is way too good.
-Haunted Creeper is going to be much worse aggressively in a game where you can't suicide it on your turn.
-Breezedrifter basically has vigilance because why the fuck not

Discordant Soul is just bad right? Fateseal is very powerful and all you get is a 2/3. Surely a vanilla 2/3 is fine in your cube, your cubes power level is pretty high.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
People keep saying that about Shambling Ghoul as well, but 3 toughness is big: Notice how many 3 power 2 drops have 1-2 toughness, and how insane Stormblood Berserker feels as a result (Surprisingly good blocker).

Fateseal is powerful because basically the only times we've ever seen it are on Jace TMS (Both repeated fatesealing and one of the most powerful cards in magic) and on Spin Into Myth, where it acts as blue unmake with supercharged commander utility.
Sure, it's on other cards, but have you played with any of those cards?

Making your next draw step a bit worse once seems like a fine downside to me, and it feels very blue. I'm going to keep testing both until I'm convinced they're actually bad, and the bar for black/blue 2 drops is scraping the floor of satan's wine cellar anyways, so I'm willing to try anything if you've got other ideas.

Though I should be clear: applicants need to have at least 2 power (1 + prowess = 1.5, so no) and be able to both attack and block, so basically 90% of anything wizards R&D has ever made as a black creature is disqualified

Laz

Developer
Frostburn Weird doesn't do it for you anymore?

How has the White reanimation theme been working out? I really like using cards like Reveillark and Alesha as cards that are a bit more interesting from a reanimation standpoint than 'Reanimate giant threat, hope you cannot deal with it', plus, they bring some cool graveyard play to White, which is always a little on the outside looking in on that theme.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Well, I love Alesha and Lark, but nobody's build a deck around those yet, they've just been solid inclusions in an otherwise normal list (Which I'm fine with. Sometime someone's gonna go entomb for something sweet the turn before they play Alesha and it'll be awesome, but most of the time she's just a solid creature that's mostly bringing back random dudes, but occasionally goes HAM with a mulldrifter or something)

I've also got a 1W instant unearth in that vein, who hasn't actually been that well received. I've seen it once in a pod list where he ground me out by looping eternal witness, but everyone else seems to just want to play another creature instead since you usually can't unearth something on turn 2 anyways. Maybe that's to be expected?

Frostburn Weird is on my radar. Last night's draft I had some sweet synergy saving an otherwise mediocre UW control deck where walls (Spellskite and Wall of Omens) and whirler rogue nudged my opponent into overcommitting into a wrath, which (at least to me) has a lot more play to it than just giving control decks a million removal spells.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Any of these seem totally insane?

hNKq0os.jpg

Used to be W1, as per seeker of the way. Moved it to hybrid for a little competition and stealth buff to blue's prowess creatures

VEtowir.jpg

And replacing him is this guy. Probably too obvious a trigger, I don't see this guy getting blocked often when mana is open...
Maybe I want a different trigger? The creature probably isn't too good since it dies easily otherwise, but it's probably just too boring?

E5bq1Ld.jpg

Icatian Javelineers meet mogg fanatic? Neither creature really holds up by modern standards, and this guy can get additional pings out with Ajani Activations or Travel Prep

sjMBjnp.jpg

Yes FSR, I'm finally actually stealing him! I may have gone a bit too deep on the actual card part: His name is an anagram of "Gilgamesh", who the art is of.
Also fuck, forgot a class in the creature type.

8hZQXAu.jpg

May need to dial the sass up in the flavor text up, but blue needs a prowess bear with some mediocre upside, since their other prowess guy has scry 1 (which is proving quite strong). I'm sure Battlewise Hoplite is probably strong for the same reasons.

Z14IUct.jpg

I want a blue dude who makes blocking difficult. Shoutout to my bro Deftblade Elite?

sIV3TfC.jpg

Someone here runs tortured existence and it's a great fix to my 2 mana gravedigger, thank you whoever you are

8Tsshi7.jpg

More +1/+1 counter guys/incentive in green, plus sweet art.

QDnI17H.jpg

One "New" piece of equipment replacing runechanter's pike #1, coming back this time more for prowess guys to push through the last few points and help ground-poundy green decks, whereas before it was in to jump giant double striking creatures when I had that theme in

bbZ9t8I.jpg

And another actually new piece to replace pike #2 and try and get some counters flowing. An upgraded Banshee's Blade (Most of the time), I kept the equip at 2 to reign in getting counters on offense and defense.

Is this card even good? I noticed that most of the equipment people like (Jitte, Swords, Skullclamp, Batterskull) was more than just a boost to P/T, it did something. I tried to figure out what some of the archetypes in my cube would want out of an equipment (Control and wildfire excluded, since they usually don't have enough creatures to justify slots for equipment)

Pod and the Sacrifice deck more want a repeated raise dead trigger from ghoulcaller's shroud, and the token deck probably wants either of the hard hitting triggers from sword of fire and ice I've got on Seeker's Regalia or Pyromancer's Rig, but the Counters deck and Prowess Deck probably just want these because they're good cards, not because they do anything specific.

Equipment is a weird card type. I like what some does to my environment, but the power banding on them are insanely swingy. Hell, even grafted wargear has its moments where I contemplate cutting it!
Filling that gap with something playable is hard. Do these work? What would you rather see in a pack, given the archetypes I mentioned?

UFqnCU5.jpg
mGMzRH1.jpg
Pjo7tvM.jpg
JH3euEF.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Patch all full of that thug shit:
In Out
Perigrine Scout --> Brothers in Arms
Dragonscale Sentry --> Champion of the Parish
Ghis Gleam Exemplar --> Champion of the Parish
Topan Freeblade --> Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
Consul's Lieutenant --> Temple Watch
War Priest of Thune --> Temple Watch
Jeskai Blademaster --> Daring Skyjek
Shaper Mystic --> Jeskai Elite
Elite Scaleguard --> Secure the Wastes
Sunlance --> Patron of the Valliant
Emerge Unscathed --> Temporal Isolation
Citidel Seige --> Grand Strategy
Gideon Lionheart --> Gideon Jura

Lurker Hotshot --> Stratus Dancer
Lurker Hotshot --> Stratus Dancer
Frostbringer --> Auger of Bolas
Fogchaser --> Discordant Soul
Frostburn Weird --> Thrummingbird
Deciever Exarch --> Sea Gate Oracle
Cyclonic Rift --> Daze
Hinder --> Thirst for Knowledge
Anchor to the Aether --> Wash Out

Novice Necromancer --> Lost Shepard
Novice Necromancer --> Lost Shepard
Ultimate Price --> Doom Blade

Goblin Glory Chaser --> Ire Shaman

Honored Hierarch --> Joraga Treespeaker
Dryad Mender --> Heir to the Wilds
Whisperwood Elemental --> Mitotic Slime
Harmony Charm --> Yavimaya Hollow
Retreat to Kazandu --> Curse of Predation
Lost Cache --> Farseek
Roar of Challenge --> Nissa, Vastwood Seer

Ethreal Wings --> Runechanter's Pike
Plundering Pike --> Runechanter's Pike
Lich's Talisman --> Jeskai Ascendancy
Tagging cards is hard, custom cards are in bold.

=======================================================================================================

Thoughts:
-Hopefully roar of challenge is remotely good, I love it
-I no longer have to warn people Yavimaya Hollow is in play and win free games when they forget
-New Gideon I made because Jura is way too tanky
-Retreat to Kazandu better be good because I loved curse of predation and it pains me to make that change
-Runechanter's Pike is too conditional for even prowess decks, so It's become more generic equipment
-Jeskai Ascendancy dissappointed. I always ended up wheeling Spear of Heliod and wanted Spear more in the exact same deck, even discounting mana constraints.
-Might add more fixing in a bit
-Trying out 1cc renown creatures since removal is not too hard to come by and sometimes people don't have a 1 drop
-Added more proliferate cards in green. Wanted to add some in white, had no idea what to staple proliferate to.

Eric, you know things. Is one of those things how to resize these images? 2 per row is a bit big on my screen.
Also fuck how many words kicker actually takes up, and proliferate's reminder text being just as wordy.
zLOjGvI.jpg
inGl4tj.jpg
phRdGaO.jpg
ktKRYC6.jpg
ShZxnVU.jpg
QNFHSjU.jpg
Do0wetk.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Interesting. I'm a little unsure about vigilence in green, but I like the idea of Awaken + Lords
Currently Shaper Mystic is in because I wanted to see how powerful basic versions of the Awaken Mechanic would be, but this is cool!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Nah green is definitely the place. Green gets vigilance, and land with vigi is ramp.

Green has vigilance on 20 cards, so I guess it could work. I think I'd prefer something like reach on that guy though.

Don't get me wrong, I know the +1/+1 counter lords are sweet, and making sure they interact with +1/+1 counters themselves is key, I just want to get a better handle on how awaken plays before I go HAM adding it on stuff :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
BFZ Patch! Plus other shit

Mother of Runes > Benevolent Pastor
War Priest of Thune > Charismatic Dictator
Elite Scaleguard > Icarus Mark II
Emerge Unscathed > Sandstone Bridge
Police Brutality > Journey to Nowhere
Police Brutality > Journey to Nowhere
Unexpectedly Absent > Overwhelming Guilt
Prison Term > Overwhelming Guilt
Gideon Lionheart > Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Ajani Steadfast > Quarantine Field

Sidisi's Faithful > Mercurial Scout
Breezedrifter Sentry > Mercurial Scout
Sower of Temptation > Eldrazi Skyspawner
Vapor Snag > Skyline Cascade
Hinder > Clutch of Currents
Condescend > Supersede
Condescend > Supersede
Anchor to the AEther > Scatter to the Winds

Gravecrawler > Diregraf Ghoul
Stubborn Weight > Carrier Thrall
Shambling Ghoul > Skirsdag High Priest
Shambling Ghoul > Zulaport Cutthroat
Priest of the Blood Rite > Gilt-Leaf Winnower
Gurmag Angler > Mortuary Mire
Weeping Fit > Tragic Slip
Hero's Downfall > Ruinous Path
Drana, Liberator of Malakir > Mardu Strike Leader
Diabolic Servitude > Ob Nixilis Reignited

War-Name Aspirant > Rakdos Pit-Beast
Hordeling Outburst > Gruul War Riders
Goblin Glory Chaser > Looming Spires
Arc Trail > Volcanic Cascade
Volcanic Hammer > Magma Jet
Volcanic Hammer > Incinerate
Volcanic Hammer > Incinerate
Sulfuric Vortex > Valakut's Vengeance
Flameshadow Conjuring > Blasphemous Act

Honored Hierarch > Experiment One
Rampaging Baloths > Greenwarden of Murasa
Ulvenwald Tracker > Fertile Thicket
Haunted Creeper > Seek the Wilds
Roar of Challenge > Seek the Wilds

Tangle Wire > Hedron Archive
-Hangarback Walker
-Mimic Vat

Dragonlord Ojutai > Supreme Verdict
Dreadbore > Lavaclaw Reaches
Huntmaster of the Fells > Raging Ravine
Travel Preparations > Dromoka's Command
+Stirring Wildwood
Orzhov Pontiff > Tidehollow Sculler
+Shambling Vent
Guardian of the Bog > Catacomb Sifter
Progenitor Mimic > Kiora, Master of the Depths
Prophet of Kruphix > Lumbering Falls

I took this opportunity to remove a lot of cards that were in my cube because they were good but people hated:
  • Sulfuric Vortex
  • Tangle Wire
  • Mimic Vat
  • Police Brutality (I got no end of flack for this card)
  • Arc Trail (Bit too strong in a format based off 1s and 2s)
  • Hangerback Walker (My playgroup doesn't even play standard. Apparently he became annoying quick!)
  • Dragonlord Ojutai
And a few cards that were awful and I'm not sure how they got in there:
  • Roar of Challange
  • Elite Scaleguard (Okay, I know how this one got in there)
  • Sidisi's Faithful
  • Anchor to the AEther
  • Goblin Glory Chaser
  • Flameshadow Conjuring
  • Honored Hierarch
  • Ulvenwald Tracker
Customs will be up soon for individual discussion, but for now there's a link here (and in my sig) to the album of "Stuff currently in my cube"
Please point out any errors I've made: Poor templating, forgotten artist credit, card is broken etc

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Weren't we all saying last draft how it was really broken because you could just hold on to your 6th land and get a cheaper eternal witness?
I think you made the suggustion to change it :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Customs:

ikqQ31L.jpg

Hopefully this becomes the white Bestial Mask. White's definitely the color that wants an attacker early and an equipment that forces through damage late, but it doesn't blow me away like Mask does. Maybe that'll come with time.
Also all complains leveled at me for Mistral Charger will not be accepted unless you run that card in your cube.

utbgEx3.jpg

It's baaaaaack! Arc Trail was proving too powerful in a format largely defined by the early turns, but the downside between it and Arc Lightning is palpable. I've also noticed the effect sorcery speed burn has on prowess, and I'm not running any build a boat type strategies anymore, so why not.
I still staunchly support Team Volcanic Hammer, but I'm turning in my card. Godspeed, fellow lovers of sorceries.

SnTVBaN.jpg

This is to Boiling Earth what Dakmor Lancer is to Shriekmaw: Cubeable.
I'm a bit worried. It matters less in red than anywhere else, but these awaken spells secretly have Kicker {1}: Haste, so there's more modes on this than first blush.
Ah well. Better to nerf than buff things I guess :p

rKrLdV6.jpg
DpVpYWC.jpg

More +1/+1 counter stuff in red. Pit Beast is a scary motherfucker, but base being a 2/2 haste can't block isn't a super great floor. Far over on the other side, War Riders is either a horrible grey ogre, or a 3/3 goblin war drums.
I'm mostly just throwing ideas at the wall.

D2SclSg.jpg

Sophie's Choice (You choose two cards from your opponents hand, they discard one) basically never felt like a magic card, and nobody could remember what it did.
My cabal therapy expy now does something simpler.

xvq3rqg.jpg

Cartel Aristocrat is a sweet card, but it's not really up to snuff as a multicolor card. I've heard people try it as hybrid, which could be cool, but I'm going to try this first. This is an experiment with the also recently added Blasphemous Act to have a creature deck that would play a sweeper, so they aren't such easy wheels for control decks.

SOE9qyg.jpg

Horribly Awry would be super broken if it didn't say creature spell, but I kinda wish it didn't. White's got a pile of exile removal, red's got stuff like Pillar of Flame, Green has Loaming Shaman type cards, and blue mostly just has dissipate, which isn't really great (It's just cancel alot) and Hinder which is mostly the same, but shit against Pod.

aPfrWVU.jpg

Damn is mother of runes both sweet and incredibly frustrating. There's ways you can play around it like baiting it into tapping then sniping it with another color of removal, or in response to an activation (More possible now than before), but it's still a far larger headache than any 1 mana creature has any right to be.
Lets see if this is anywhere in the realm of fair.
I think the next nerf level down is Devoted Caretaker

nV1O97I.jpg

New Blue 1 Drop, better than savannah lions, yadda yadda.
I think at some point someone'll be in topdeck mode and be a bit miffed they can't cast some piece of equipment and swing unabated.
Distortion Strike is fine though :p

wzhvYwI.jpg

Hey look it's white Volt Charge!
I didn't take a great look at how many creatures in my cube have greater toughness than power, but it's not nothing. Absolutly adorable on creatures with lifelink too.
I think it really needs to be an instant, and it really needs to be a single white, so the text would probably have to change.
I tried Pacifism, but Auras are a surprisingly high amount of words, which leaves little templating space for proliferate's reminder text (Eg: Temporal Isolation is too complicated to be a proliferate spell)