One Pack One Pick (p1p1 thread)

Hey! This is a pretty successful idea elsewhere, so I've been thinking for a little bit about porting it over here. In particular, the Cube subreddit does it as "First Pick Fridays". The forum structure here precludes nested comments, but that's okay because I have a plan better suited to forum posts.

Here's the shtick: post a cubetutor sample pack from your cube. If you wanna take a photo of 15 cards and show 'em off that sounds great too! Then you should tell the person who posted above you what you'd first-pick and why. It's fun and I like getting feedback from diverse sources so I don't fall victim to tunnel blindness.

I'll start us off:
Ev8iW3u.jpg

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Great idea, love it!

Mulldrifter and Aetherling stand out the most to me in terms of raw power level. The latter puts you pretty far into a blue control deck, whereas the former has some flexibility as a control, midrange, or blink enabler. Also, I feel like Aetherling is more replaceable - while he's the best blue finisher by a country mile, there are other expensive cards that fill roughly the same shoes, while there's really only one Mulldrifter.

I'm taking either Mulldrifter or Night's Whisper here. Mulldrifter is a card I'd splash for in all but the most aggressive of decks, and I see enough black in this pack that I'd think something would come back. Even then, easy splash in whatever deck I'd want to go into.

okay, someone else post a pack. Not that I don't love the feedback but I was kinda envisioning a 'reply to the post above you' feel. Does that seem sensible to other people? Just a topic where you get out what you put in. Maybe feel free to post whenever the conversation lulls? idk, but I think this could be a cool thread.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Hey, ask and ye shall receive:
(I'd also like to suggest that Packs 3-4 picks into the draft are super interesting as well!)

G8lNXY1.jpg
Z5q9SOy.jpg
bYllwIq.jpg

I think I'd take Restoration Angel just because it's one of my favourites. Probably can't go too far wrong with any of the planeswalkers, Shriekmaw or Whirler Rogue though.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
hard to pass up on Resto or Reveillark but I'd be tempted to take Shriekmaw and let people fight over white.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, Restoration Angel seems head and shoulders above the other choices, though this is a really strong pack overall. Both of those planeswalkers would merit consideration if this were p2p1 and you were already solidified in an archetype, but it seems too early to jump on those trains pack one. Shriekmaw is also so much value... this is a pack I might spend a solid minute on in real life, waffling between choices.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I often take Crater Hellion if I think I can be the control deck. Shriekmaw is more agnostic of a pick and if I thought the list was constrained around removal, I'd take that instead.

But I'd probably take Crater Hellion.

As much as I love 'llark decks I think there's basically no chance restoration angel is coming back, and she's so versatile (and strong) she's my clear first pick.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Ok, lemme try spinning one up with my list. Hope it doesn't come up with something too embarrassing

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Finks, or Slam Anger, Wheel Wildfire (or Vice Versa)
That's proabably a bit more informed by my own list since I'm usually the only one picking red control cards, but it could work

I think the "correct" pick is probably Bloodstained Mire or maybe Sidisi, but I think I'd take the Wildfire and go in.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Is that more or less likely then grabbing the fulminator mage and hoping to wheel Alesha? The pack has too many narrow cards, so I wouldn't bet on either of those things happening.

I take the mire.

I take Mire b/c I'm boring and I know I'll get something back in this pack. But if I wanna YOLO, I'm going Alesha. I've only played with it once in Cube and once in DDF draft, but it was sweet both times. Girl puts in work.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Jace probably? I'm seeing a strong reanimator deck here, and he probably leaves me the most open if someone on my right had the same idea