CML's Cube (405, polychromatic)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad you like it!

With the funsies lands it's even better.

Living Death is kind of just a turd out there, can anyone confirm this?

Ran living death in many of my early iterations. It never pulled its weight whatsoever. It really needs to be built around, and if it's a 1-of you can't really afford to build around it.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Ran living death in many of my early iterations. It never pulled its weight whatsoever. It really needs to be built around, and if it's a 1-of you can't really afford to build around it.

You definitely need to support a graveyard theme to make it worthwhile. Here's my intentional support, which is just shy of the right amount:

Cards that were already in that enable it:

And a couple cards that benefit from it but don't really enable it:

I think the archetype is dope. Reanimation sort of becomes a thing, flashback becomes awesomer.

I swear there's another good green 2-mana sorcery that does some self mill, but I don't remember what it is. They just printed it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Lead the Stampede was never amazing, but part somehow I'm optimistic for Gather the Pack. Graveyard vs bottom of library is a big difference, especially with Delve these days. Has anyone tested it in a cube environment?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Pretty excited to try to up my enchantment count and run commune with the gods

edit: I say pretty excited, but that seems a gross insult to the English language

Lead the Stampede was never amazing, but part somehow I'm optimistic for Gather the Pack. Graveyard vs bottom of library is a big difference, especially with Delve these days. Has anyone tested it in a cube environment?

I have. It was good, but I cut it for being too generic. I'd add it again, I think, with the caveat that I wasn't triggering Spell Mastery any earlier than turns 4 or 5.

CML

Contributor
I'm not really optimistic about triggering Spell Mastery with Gather the Pack

I remember running Tracker's Instincts and the problem was you HAD to put the creature in your hand, though, so at least you can bin your fatty with Gather

I guess I'll try it, what the hell

CML

Contributor
My pleasure.

Manabases in my Cube have gotten to the point where I'm considering adding some Wastelands to the main Cube.

The thing is, there are 3 Tec Edges in the ULD, and when people pick them they're great, but few people pick them, because our manabases are so profligate.

What do you guys think? Experiences?

Why would it work? Why wouldn't it work?

How does my Cube differ from the Cubes (principally Wadds's) where Wasteland is (ostensibly) a healthy part of the environment?

My pleasure.

Manabases in my Cube have gotten to the point where I'm considering adding some Wastelands to the main Cube.

The thing is, there are 3 Tec Edges in the ULD, and when people pick them they're great, but few people pick them, because our manabases are so profligate.

What do you guys think? Experiences?

Why would it work? Why wouldn't it work?

How does my Cube differ from the Cubes (principally Wadds's) where Wasteland is (ostensibly) a healthy part of the environment?

I think you should run them. i have 4 wastelands main and 2 tec edges in my ULD. I think it works because Cube is often a game of marginal plays and denying the mana Villain needs or just eking out a turn or two of advantage can swing a duel, etc, you know this already. People will pick Tec Edges to supplement their wastelands and because they didn't draft any in the first place but it's usually the second one, too many good ULD picks to spend on colourless lands.

It would work because Wasteland is a good and fun card. It wouldn't work if people in your playgroup are babies, or value consistent CD decks over the ability to splash bombs. I think you should go for it. Wasteland is kind of a brute-force answer to these format concerns but it's surprisingly elegant.

Your cube is bigger than JW's or mine and so you might need more copies?

CML

Contributor
Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably try some Wastelands in a couple of weeks.

Can you link your list?

Also, to everyone: can you help me slim my Cube down to 450? I've made a bunch of cuts and not really recorded them, so I probably need something like ~30 more cards, but by all means go at it with a hatchet and not a scalpel.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably try some Wastelands in a couple of weeks.

Can you link your list?

Also, to everyone: can you help me slim my Cube down to 450? I've made a bunch of cuts and not really recorded them, so I probably need something like ~30 more cards, but by all means go at it with a hatchet and not a scalpel.

here's my list. anything that looks weird is because i'm bad at making cubes
http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/4863

i'll give some feedback on cuts tomorrow maybe?

Just suggestions from a single run through. Could definitely be wrong about any or all of these.

Maybe just not good/interesting enough:
Spurnmage Advocate
Disrupt
Silumgar Assassin
Galepowder Mage
Molten-Tail Masticore
Cursed Scroll
Managorger Hydra

Multicolor cards have to be really good to make the cut are these good enough:
Azorius Charm
Selesnya Charm

Sweet cards that maybe aren't powerful enough to actually get into winning decks:
Sphinx's Tutelage
Demonic Pact
Pyromancer's Goggles
Venser, the Sojourner

Not sure if there are enough interactions with these cards (what does Rector get in this cube apart from Conscription?):
Academy Rector
Eldrazi Conscription

CML

Contributor
Yep, these are great suggestions. There's something off about the way my Cube is playing these days ... could be a glut of good drafters, could be that it's too big and I watered down some sections inadvertently, but it doesn't seem like it's optimized for real, cutthroat competitive play and I want to overhaul the motherfucker until it is worthy of being drafted for money.

Does anyone else have this ambition?

It seems as if the bloated size is making less for mixing-and-matching of archetypes and more for generic decks, and that the mana is too good. Midrange and control mirrors were excellent, but a lot of the aggro-vs-control, aggro-vs-midrange, midrange-vs-control matchups were lackluster, playing out in obvious ways with a decided advantage against the aggro decks.

This suggests the following changes:

—Add these:

—And these:

—Cut some midrange cards: 55 of them!

OK, sweet. Let me know what you guys think of the new list, give it a few draft whirls, I updated it on CubeTutor.

CML