Card/Deck The Gauntlet - Limited/Constructed Duel Decks

(Disclaimer: I realize this project isn't completely on-topic in terms of cube building, but I think there's enough of a shared interest to make this a kosher thread. If I'm wrong, I'm happy to move it.)

While I love cube, I'm always looking for other ways to have fun with casual Magic. In particular, I'm hunting for ways to play with my friends who are newer or less invested players that avoid the extra time and learning curve needed to draft (While I love drafting and limited deckbuilding, I also realize that it's not for everyone). I love deckbuilding and tinkering, so having an outlet that lets me avoid shifting cards in and out of my cube all the time would be great. Similarly, there are lots of narrow cards and strategies that don't work in cube that I still want to play with from time to time. After some brainstorming about how I can address these various desires, here's what I've landed on:

The Gauntlet - Limited/Constructed Decks

The basic idea is that to take the template of cards you get in a typical draft (3 rares, 9 uncommons, and a remainder of commons) but use the entire card pool of Magic to build 40 card decks to play against one another. The decks should ideally be built around mechanical or flavor themes, but not so all-in that explicit counterplay cards are necessary as I don't want to include sideboards.

These should be cheap cards, so I have no qualms about bringing these out to my LGS for randos to play with. Ideally, I might make a few extra copies of the decks to give away to newer players.

Deckbuilding Guidelines

3 Rares/Mythics (Singleton)
  • 2 spells
  • Up to 1 nonbasic land
9 Uncommons (Up to two of each unique card)
  • 7 spells
  • Up to 2 nonbasic lands
Unlimited Commons (Up to three of each unique card)

The rares/mythics should be some combination of fun, splashy and interesting, but not immediately game-winning. The uncommons should include some mechanical anchors for the deck and a few pieces of premium removal. The commons should be roleplayers and curve fillers. Decks should stick to using just a few related non-evergreen mechanics in order to keep them focused and easy to learn.

These are obviously artificial guidelines, but I think the restrictions will keep me from encountering the type of decision paralysis I run into when given unlimited options. Overall, I'd expect these creations to be stronger than an off-the-shelf WotC retail Intro Deck but weaker than a focused pauper constructed deck.

Given the above restrictions, if you built a deck that maximized the number of each unique card, the list would look something like this:

23 Spells
  • 1x Rare
  • 1x Rare
  • 2x Uncommon
  • 2x Uncommon
  • 2x Uncommon
  • 1x Uncommon
  • 3x Common
  • 3x Common
  • 3x Common
  • 3x Common
  • 2x Common
17 Lands
  • 1x Rare
  • 2x Uncommon
  • 3x Common
  • 11x Basic lands

Of course, actual decklists will likely have some fun one-ofs to increase variety of gameplay. As an example, here's a quick deck I literally just threw together for this post to provide an example of what I'm going for:

Spider Spawning.dec

Rares (2)
Champion of Stray Souls
Splinterfright

Uncommons (7)
Spider Spawning
Dreg Mangler
Deadly Allure
Grave Strength
Putrefy
Cruel Revival

Commons (14)
Satyr Wayfinder
Shambling Ghoul
Deadbridge Shaman
Organ Grinder
Returned Centaur
Reave Soul
Chainer's Edict
Gnaw to the Bone

Lands (17)
Blighted Fen
Golgari Rot Farm
Jungle Hollow
Forest
Swamp

As you can see, I've intentionally included some suboptimal, but on-theme cards. I want each deck to feel different from each other, and racing toward making the best version of each deck makes it more likely that they'll converge and make a more uniform metagame.

Conclusion

As has been noted by others around here, most cubes are lucky to have more than 10 viable decks in them, so I consider this project as a way to get cube-style games for people who don't have the time or interest to draft. My plan is to start with 5-10 decks of various color combinations, then refine them and add new decks to the collection over time. While perfect balance across all deck matchups is not realistic, I want to avoid an overall best or worst deck from appearing among the gauntlet.

Thoughts, questions, and comments from the Riptide peanut gallery are all welcome. In particular, decklists would be more than appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I've thought of a couple variants of this, since I have all of the cube draft deck lists I've done on Modo still there.

One is that I could just build those literal decks, and play those. The other is that I could treat the cube list itself as if it were a format list, where you could pick any card out and run up to four copies.

I do like this way of doing it though, which seems to strike a nice middle ground between no decisions and maybe too many decisions. Its also a nice way to get a feeling for the way your cube matchups actually play out.

Yeah, super neat! I dont take time enough to play cube, and have some friends who know about magic but arent really up for drafting yet. Being able to present a deck with the feel of limited is probably the way to go.

I'm also a big fan of codifying the casual deck. It's a great idea just to sort of build decks and play with good ideas that aren't necessarilly tuned like a known constructed deck is. It creates a sort of 'format'.

Yeah, super neat! I dont take time enough to play cube, and have some friends who know about magic but arent really up for drafting yet. Being able to present a deck with the feel of limited is probably the way to go.

I'm also a big fan of codifying the casual deck. It's a great idea just to sort of build decks and play with good ideas that aren't necessarilly tuned like a known constructed deck is. It creates a sort of 'format'.

"Casual Modern Constructed" is an amazing format

But how do you codify it into something every can agree upon? I mean, tournament constructed is self-adjusting because only competitive decks stay in the meta. For casual formats, you want decks that sit at the "right level".

I'm not a huge fan of some kind of social contract or "spirit of the format" because it's so vulnerable to one person stepping out of line, which can happen easily when the precise spirit of the format is completely subjective.

Much better then, like whydirt did in the opening post, to present a template and some very concrete restrictions that force decks into the right feel.

Well that's the issue, and that's why you don't see people playing it ever. It's very similar to EDH where you've got bulk-rare have fun piles, competitive Legacy singleton, and everything in between all at one table.

Wizard's site seems to be having trouble getting older articles, but according to them and I'm sure other sources, casual is the largest percentage of players in MtG. If that's what we are concerning ourselves with. My group all play it, testing out weird UB specter decks, bear decks, werewolf decks, pingers.dec... you name it.

I am loving whydirts template. Very much like the Duel Decks, or intro decks mebbe. Might as well take a crack at it. The deck I felt like trying out is RB attrition control. Pretty simple game plan: use a combination of hand control, creature control, and a token sacrifice theme to grind out wins. Recursion is used to maintain advantage.

RB Attrition.dec

Rare (2)
Ogre Slumlord
Tymaret, the murder king

Uncommon (7)
beetleback chief
smallpox
flametongue kavu
goblin bombardment
blazing hellhound

Common (15)
Mogg war marshal
phyrexian rager
ravenous rats
Igneous Pouncer
cadaver imp
grim discovery
Murder
firebolt

Land (16)
bloodstained mire
quicksand
rakdos carnarium
barren moor
forgotten cave
swamp
mountain

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've been making decks like this for a few blocks, Innistrad, Return to Ravnica and Theros mostly, plus some theme decks. They're really cool to play as a change of pace. I think I used a somewhat different building blocks list: 24 land, 6 x 3 commons, 7 x 2 uncommons, and 4 x 1 rare. If applicable, the lands could contain additional card. The lands don't count towards the total breakdown of commons, uncs and rares, but they do have to respect the x 3 / x 2 / x 1 restriction for commons / uncommons / rares. Mythics get thrown in with the rares if they really add to the deck concept or fun, but they should be the exception, because of power level concerns. Sometimes a deck would want more land, in which case I'ld go 25 land, 6 x 3 commons, 6 x 2 uncommons, 5 x 1 rare.

Some examples:

Orzhov

Rare (4)
Pontiff of Blight
Treasury Thrull
Blind Obedience
Merciless Eviction

Uncommon (14)
Vizkopa Guildmage
Knight of Obligation
Orzhov Charm
Gift of Orzhova
Orzhov Keyrune
Profit // Loss
One Thousand Lashes

Common (18)
Syndic of Tithes
Tithe Drinker
Basilica Guards
Kingpin's Pet
Executioner's Swing
Orzhov Cluestone

Land (24)
Godless Shrine
Orzhov Guildgate
10 Plains
10 Swamp

(0)

Angels

Rare (4)
Angel of Flight Alabaster
Herald of War
Divine Reckoning
Moonsilver Spear

Uncommon (14)
Emancipation Angel
Goldnight Redeemer
Archangel
Angel's Tomb
Angelic Armaments
Defy Death
Banishing Stroke

Common (18)
Angelic Wall
Chapel Geist
Seraph of Dawn
Voice of the Provinces
Righteous Blow
Scroll of Avacyn

Land (24)
Seraph Sanctuary
21 Plains

(0)

For the flashback deck I decided to tweak the numbers a bit, because some of the cards are so pivotal to the deck. Burning Vengeance is the key card in the deck, and Altar of the Lost and Arcane Melee help you cast your spells. This is actually one of the most fun decks I built using my "recepy", because it operates on a completely different axis than, well, any other deck. Note: Don't discount the Homicidal Seclusions, they're vital to your survival! :)

Burning Vengeance

Rare (4)
Arcane Melee
Increasing Ambition
Blasphemous Act

Uncommon (14)
Altar of the Lost
Burning Vengeance
Runic Repetition
Secrets of the Dead
Mystic Retrieval
Homicidal Seclusion

Common (18)
Faithless Looting
Silent Departure
Think Twice
Fires of Undeath
Forbidden Alchemy
Reap the Seagraf

Land (24)
Sulfur Falls
Evolving Wilds
Island
Mountain
Swamp

(0)

To me, one of the best candidates would be an Aristocrats-esque deck. Partly because I love this play style, partly because it teaches new players that something as counter-intuitive as killing your own stuff can be advantageous, if you plan for it. Many good cards are uncommon or common, so you can build a surprisingly good deck.

---

(man, I wanted to have this in a nice deck box but apparently I'm incapable of doing it, lol)

Rares:
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Return to the Ranks
1 Vault of the Archangel

Uncommons:
2 Zulaport Cutthroat
2 Blood Artist (or Falkenrath Noble, if you prefer a weaker option. The Noble also makes Return to the Ranks much worse)
2 Lingering Souls
1 Pawn of Ulamog
2 Tainted Field

Commons (spells):
3 Carrion Feeder
2 Bloodthrone Vampire
3 Doomed Traveler
2 Sultai Emissary
3 Tragic Slip
2 Terror

Commons (lands):
1 Mortuary Mire
3 Scoured Barrens
2 Plains
7 Swamp

---

There could be different variations on this, actually. You could use green (Blisterpod, Brindle Shoat, Nest Invader, Reaper of the Wilds) or red (Goblin Bombardment, Mogg War Marshal, Outpost Siege, Threaten effects, Collateral Damage, Falkenrath Aristocrat himself) as your support colour. WotC printed a lot of sac-friendly stuff in recent years.

Orzhov is also a good colour pair for a tokens deck. Plenty of nice common and uncommon cards for this.

Another possible deck would be an Astral Slide deck: the core cards are uncommon and there's plenty of decent cyclers at commons. There's a whole thread about it, if you like the idea you could start from there.

WB Lifedrain

Commons (14)
Vendetta
Basilica Guards
Syndic of Tithes
Gray Merchant of Asphodel
Recumbent Bliss

Uncommons (7)
Cliffhaven Vampire
Survival Cache
Ajani's Pridemate
Falkenrath Noble

Rares (2)
Sanguine Bond
Blind Obedience

Land (17)
Vault of the Archangel
Tainted Field
Scoured Barrens
Plains
Swamp

RG Infect

Commons (14)
Soul's Fire
Razor Swine
Rot Wolf
Ichorclaw Myr
Wild Hunger

Uncommons (7)
Carrion Call
Core Prowler
Throne of Geth
Phyrexian Juggernaut

Rares (2)
Putrefax
Burning Anger

Lands (17)
Kessig Wolf Run
Llanowar Reborn
Looming Spires
Mountain
Forest

This has been a pretty cool way to test the funnier archetypes. I've enjoyed playing with Cliffhaven Vampire in recent limited and was happy to find a productive shell for Survival Cache. While I've never really played infect, it was cool to try to feature it in an unpopular color combo. They're not quite balanced against each other yet, skewed towards infect's favor. The exercise in itself was rewarding enough and seems like a productive way to test guild sections in cube.