The Music Thread

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So on the radio station that plays at work, I keep hearing this one song that songs different to all the synth driven indie music that it seems to always play.
It is some sort of fuzzy psychedelic rock so I decided to dig deeper into it. Turns out that their latest album is a concept album where all the songs flow into each other and the last song folds back into the first song for an infinite loop. Is a ver cool concept. I didn't even realise that it had looped itself over when I listened to it the first time until I heard the single that was on the radio that brought my attention to the album (Track 3 - Gamma Knife).

Thought it was interesting enough to share with others. Plus with a band name called King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard you know it has to be funky right?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
After watching The Lorax with my little kid this weekend, I looked up the soundtrack this morning. Turns out there are a lot of songs that did not make the movie. I like The Lorax, but I'm sad the closing song of the soundtrack didn't make it into the movie. It's awesome and it's been stuck on repeat all day!

Also, can anybody remind me what other song this song reminds me off?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
This one is fantastic at high volume for workouts or just to build energy:

This always makes me super emotional for some reason:

This will probably become a guilty pleasure:

Here is some silly Jap-anime-tal that you may enjoy:

the vocals are ~all~ over the place. there is a bit in the 4th song that are inhumanly harsh (and lovely).

[edit, i cant remember which song, but i reckon you'll know when you hear it and have involuntary physical reactions]

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This decade? Hmm... The music is nice, but doesn't hold a candle to Lucius's Wildewoman in my opinion. Though that's more folk-pop than full on mainstream pop, I guess? Still, in the FOMP (I like that abbreviation :)) category I still like Taylor Swift's 1989 better than Jepsen's album. Anyway, Lucius. Great songs, and above all great, great hooks. Every song has a part that deviates from the main melody, none of it gets boring. I guess Go Home is a bit too slow / down compared to the rest of the album? It's the only sing I sometimes skip, because it doesn't really fit the mood and pace of the other songs. As a whole, the album is magnificent though, and probably my pick for favorite album of the last decade.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
PS. Can I do honorable mentions? Ok, ten more of my favorite albums of the past ten years, one song for each album :)

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Fiona Bevan - Talk to Strangers

Florence + The Machine - Lungs

George Ezra - Wanted On Voyage

Grossstadtgeflüster - Oh Ein Reh!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist

Misteur Valaire - Golden Bombay

Regina Spektor - Far

The Kyteman Orchestra - The Kyteman Orchestra

The Staves - Dead and Born and Grown

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I discussed this with Chris the other week but Carly Rae Jepsen's E MO TION is the best pop album I've heard this decade

I would also have to agree with this statement. I don't listen to much pop, or have it within my playlists, but this album, MAN does it just hit all the right spots.
Personal favourite has to be Run Away With Me.

The main reason I am posting though, is that did you realise that an EP had been released with the cuts to that album?
E•MO•TION Side B still has a lot of the power that the album had and now makes it feel like it lasts that little bit longer.

Sadly, I couldn't get into the CRJ album (as i do enjoy some bubblegum pop with female vox).

Right now, I'm hoping to see another Hayley Stewart involved project (darkwave synthpop stuffs). Not 100% on the songs, but i LOVE her voice

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I realized I forgot my favorite... uhm... what genre is this... melodic noise? Anyway, Bromst, by Dan Deacon. How to describe this music? It's a strangely soothing, explosively calm structured mess. Yes, I think that comes close... And to top it off, guy has some absolutely baller videos as well.

Though in this genre, Fuck Buttons is also very good!

I would also have to agree with this statement. I don't listen to much pop, or have it within my playlists, but this album, MAN does it just hit all the right spots.
Personal favourite has to be Run Away With Me.

The main reason I am posting though, is that did you realise that an EP had been released with the cuts to that album?
E•MO•TION Side B still has a lot of the power that the album had and now makes it feel like it lasts that little bit longer.

"Higher" is like my favorite song right now! I loved E.MO.TION and SIDE B is just more fantastic sounds of the album.