One Pack One Pick (p1p1 thread)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm torn between Noble Hierarch and Archangel of Thune. Noble is probably the correct pick, but Archangel can just run away with games.

I'm torn between Rabblemaster, Mulldrifter, Archangel, and Profane Command. I think I would also take the command, though.

h1AcUPD.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Wow, this one is hard. Silence the Believers is a solid removal spell, and mono-colored, so I think I'll pick that one. Liliana Vess is a good pick as well, and I think Golden Hind, Ral Zarek and Rakdos's Return are defensible as well.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Time Warp? o.O

I'm probably on profane command here, but thalia might also be a consideration? I haven't played with her in so long, since she runs counter to what I want white doing in my cube most of the time.

Since there's a good chance we can pick a white card and still wheel a good white card, I think that's what we should do - take Thalia or even Bygone Bishop and hope to get something sweet on the wheel like Secure the Wastes or Knight of the Reliquary.

I'm a bit late to the thread, but I'm assuming this is a 'what's your P1P1 out of this sample pack?'

The cards that stand out to me in Safra's pack are:

• Valorous stance- Power level: Middling. Flexibility: Good. Archetype-specific: No. Will make the cut it most white decks, a solid first pick for the undecided drafter, or one who does not want to go deep just yet. There are also multiple playable white cards in the pack, giving us a good chance to wheel a playable card, even if it's the temple.
  • Profane command- Power level: Extreme. Flexibility: Very Good. Archetype-specific: Likely not.- Arguably the strongest card in the pack, extremely flexible and extremely dangerous. It takes a bit more work than Valorous stance, but not enough that you wouldn't jam it in most black decks you run. There is, however, less opportunity to pick up a playable black card from this pack, as both Entomb and Carrion Feeder are very archetype specific, and even if they wheel, may not fit into the plan you have in mind. However, verdant catacombs and polluted delta are both excellent on-color picks (assuming there are shocks/fetches in the draft), and you will likely be able to pick at least one of them up.
  • Entomb- Power Level: High. Flexibility: Moderate. Archetype-Specific: Yes.- A very strong card, but not one I would FP before seeing the fatties needed to make it good. Something to note and keep in mind for the wheel, though.
  • Secure the Wastes: Power level: High. Flexibility: Low. Archetype-Specific: Not really- This is probably the strongest draft-token generation tool ever printed, honestly. You'd think that something like this would belong in token decks only, but The ability to splash this combined with it's efficiency and potential for blowouts means this card can be run in midrange and controlling decks as well. In my opinion it is the second most powerful card in the pack, after Profane Command. Note that it works very well with Time Warp, as you can EOT jam a bunch of tokens on an empty board after clearing it a turn earlier, and swing for 'surprise lethal' over the course of an extra turn.
Verdict: This is a tough one, but I'm going to have to go with Secure the wastes. It edges out Profane Command as the more disciplined pick, even though I would pick the Command if I was feeling edgy and just wanted to try it out. :p
Just imo.

Ooh, tricky. I think I'm on Mentor to stay kind of open? Only having three colours in the pack means you're almost certainly feeding your neighbour heavy blue or heavy green - and there's such great options for heavy blue or green - that I like the idea of taking Mentor first and picking up whichever fantastic card wheels (although you're probably getting, like, Raise the Alarm or Mutagenic Growth, either of which I'd be okay with. As much as I'd prefer to wheel Clique or Library I don't think that's very reasonable).