Sets AEther Revolt Spoilers

last i checked like half the 2 drops ppl play in modern live through -3/-3 most of the time
The only ones I can think of are Tarmogoyf and Scavaenging ooze, which the deck playing this would be running (Jund)

I guess Ravager can technically be >3/3 too, but afaik, -3/-3 would wreck a lot of an affinity board, especially in a deck that would be crafting the board up to this turn.

Point is, you are casting armageddon, for the CMC of Armageddon, and also get an effect that can be built around/utilized to your advantage.

well
grim flayer, thing in the ice
sorta: tasigur, bedlam reveler, gurmag angler

the card is probably playable in that goofy ass restore balance deck if anyone still tries to play that. i havent played in a minute.

the two drops it kills are like?? snapcaster? qasali pridemage? blighted agent? erm, sakura tribe elder? a bunch of white creatures that arent good anyway??? bloodghast, narcomoeba..... steel overseer! oh right bob exists. oh i guess it kills all those newfangled spirits assuming it doesnt get countered by maelstrom mausoleum wanderer or the other nice spirit counterspell i cant remember right now

Lotleth Troll is a nice option if you want to use Expertise along with Tasigar, Grim Flayer, and Living End. Vengevine and Courser of Kruphix would be fun additions too, but maybe a little too cute.

The part that I really like about Expertise is that it sets Dredge back a step - something I will never loose sleep over. Other decks that take a nice hit from it are Burn (naya and zoo varieties in particular), a good percentage of collected company decks, and, depending on how you swing it, Jund/Abzan. Plus the ones already mentioned in the thread.

Ajani_Unyielding_PT-2871dc2c-71e8-4636-8097-4f98e30583ca-1639394219.png

Ajani, the Unflinching (?)
4GW
Planeswalker - Ajani
4 Loyalty
+2: Reveal the top three cards of your library. Put all nonland permanent cards revealed this way into your hand, and put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
-2: Exile target creature. Its controller gains life equal to its power.
-9: Put five +1/+1 counters on each creature you control and five loyalty counters on each other planeswalker you control.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I wish he wasn't 6 mana :/

He'd have been five (and cubable too!)
I think the card is perfectly curable as is. He has one of the best removal options out of any planeswalker (save some even more expensive walkers) at a very affordable cost, and he has the potential for some serious card advantage. You can just alternate between removing their best threat and digging for your own. I'm pretty sure this version of Ajani locks up games fast if not dealt with soon, and that he would have been insane at five.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Was he ever?
Not really, though I like littlest Ajani.

Btw, if someone can attach some screenshots, they just spoiled a new legendary vehicle and the new Tezz.

Heart of Kiran {2}
Legendary Artifact - Vehicle
Flying, vigilance
Crew 3
You may remove a loyalty counter from a PW you control to crew HoK.
4/4

This looks incredible! Crew, attack, activate for loyalty on defense. What a wall!

Tezzeret, Master of Metal {4}{U}{B}
+1: Draw the next artifact in your deck.
-3: Opp loses life equal to nr of artifacts you control.
-8: Gain control of all artifacts and creatures target opp controls.

Is... this... more interesting than old Tezz?

Heart seems like a decent enough way to make a "planeswalkers matter" card that's not super poisonous, but it seems pretty clunky to me. Crew 3 means that it is generally giving +1 power plus flying, which is okay but not great. Kitesail isn't a cube staple for most people, even in lower power cubes. The vigilance likely won't matter too often unless you have a PW back to activate it on defense.

That's the intro deck version of Tezz, btw.

I think that Heart of Kiran is better due to the opportunity cost imposed by the equip cost kitesail imposes. What kitesail has going for it is only the guaranteed +1 power and durability that Heart of Kiran does not have. On the flip side Heart of Kiran has a number of benefits, outside of being support for multiple archetypes, by giving a pseudo-haste to your 3/x three drop or creatures played in future turns and the vigilance has the ability to help with board stalls depending on opposing fliers and/or size of creatures (will not get hit back). My two cents, and each do contribute to their own archetypes.

You're right that the lack of mana cost to crew vehicles is a big deal. And in a lot of cubes aggressive 3/x idiots are probably the ones than are generally stuck on the ground. Renegade Freighter is probably still better in a lot of aggro decks though just because it has a higher attacking power to crew power ratio.

Not really, though I like littlest Ajani.

Btw, if someone can attach some screenshots, they just spoiled a new legendary vehicle and the new Tezz.

Heart of Kiran {2}
Legendary Artifact - Vehicle
Flying, vigilance
Crew 3
You may remove a loyalty counter from a PW you control to crew HoK.
4/4

This looks incredible! Crew, attack, activate for loyalty on defense. What a wall!

Tezzeret, Master of Metal {4}{U}{B}
+1: Draw the next artifact in your deck.
-3: Opp loses life equal to nr of artifacts you control.
-8: Gain control of all artifacts and creatures target opp controls.

Is... this... more interesting than old Tezz?

I don't think that's the real new Tezz. I think that's the planeswalker deck Tezz, who is supposed to kind of suck.

Spicy! I've been waiting for a Death Wind variant that felt cube-worthy, and Battle at the Bridge definitely has appeal, even if the name is pretty weak. It also helps tie artifacts-matter further into black, which has been a goal of mine for a while now. It'd require a suitably mid-power format to really sparkle, but I think I'm pretty much in the neighborhood with my current project.

Meanwhile, Disallow is the Cancel Variant I never knew I wanted! I have a sick lust for Stifle, and Cancel+ has proven to be about where I like my counterspells these days. I can already see myself considering this as a 2-of, given how important walker dominance and activated ability spam can be to disrupt, though I'm sure that stopping triggered abilities will come up plenty.

On the matter of Ajani Unyielding, I'm happy to welcome swole catdaddy back into my cube! I think 6-mana is a sweet spot for these swiss-army, no-nuance walkers, personally; Chandra, Flamecaller is a fantastic example of this, offering a big, beefy buffet of benefits in exchange for an above-market cost.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Convoke for artifacts is the new mechanic. Huh. Does that mean we get no proliferate? :(

Also, this Baral guy is really starting to piss me off. He has to be one of the biggest assholes/murderers in the multiverse.