The Kindergartener Cube (Fulcrum's Peasant Cube)

Hello everyone! This is my first attempt at building a non-singleton, low-power cube. I've designed this as a peasant cube (commons/ uncommons only) as a way to help me think outside of the box as well as to spotlight lesser known cards and the interesting/ goofy archetypes they can spawn.

Link to Cube on Cubetutor (It's called the Kindergartener Cube because working with only commons/uncommons made me feel like I was working with little versions of familiar cards)

Background

This cube's design went through what I felt were 3 different phases, with the 3rd being the most important and where the entire thing clicked for me. I've outlined each phase below so you can all see how I got there.

Phase I: After spending a few months on this forum and being exposed to a bunch of different ideas and cubes, I began to want to build a cube that was was different from cubes I had worked on before. I wanted a cube that resembled the Penny Pincher cube rather than something that resembled wtwlf123's cube. At this point I decided I would focus on designing a peasant cube in order to help me think outside of the box as well as to expose myself to cards that I had never seen before.

To start off, I incorporated things from other cubes that I admired like the double bounceland mana base, the UB Ninjas archetype, and the WG Splicers archetype from the Penny Pincher cube as well as things that I thought were interesting like double vivid lands and a cycling archetype. Some of these things ended up surviving to the end while others did not.

Things were rolling along until I hit a snag. I really wanted cycling to be a thing with Astral Slide and Lightning Rift being real cards. I quickly discovered that even with singleton breaking, there just weren't enough playable cyclers to make a cohesive archetype viable. I wasn't ready to make custom cards just yet and with Amonkhet around the corner I decided to shelve the project until the new set released.

Phase II: Amonkhet came and went and we got a bunch of neat cyclers. I added a bunch of them to the cube and the end result was pretty underwhelming. It felt like I was building a generic 360 peasant cube with a bunch of cyclers. I desperately searched for something to guide me and worked through some pretty terrible ideas. Even though Modern Masters did it, Boros Giants wasn't going to be the creative spark I needed to salvage this project.

Phase III: Even though I was discouraged, I pressed on and continued working on the cube. I was having difficulties finding a Simic archetype as all of the options available to me seemed either too boring (+1/+1 counters) or too vague (tempo?) One day after looking through older sets for inspiration, I found it in this innocuous looking card Champions of Kamigawa:

I found it really neat that this card could basically spit out 3 cmc Mana Leaks every turn but the cost of returning a land to your hand every turn seemed brutal. It was even worse with some of the other moonfolk; Soratami Mirror-Mage returns 3 lands to your hand! Even though the moonfolk abilities had a seemingly brutal drawback, I had become enamored with the creature type and sought a solution which I had also found in Kamigawa Block.

I don't know if these two cards were designed with each other in mind but I had felt that I had found my Simic archetype and decided that I found that I loved the interaction so much that I was willing to warp design my cube around it.

Impact of Phase III On Cube Design

After deciding to build this cube around what essentially equated to Moonfolk and cards that let you put extra lands into play tribal, I came away with these three points.

I. If Moonfolk Tribal is going to be viable, I'll have to cull most ETB effects from the format. Soratami Mirror-Mage has a repeatable ability but it'll still look dumb next to Man-o'-War.

II. This Moonfolk + Extra Lands thing seems like a super cool late game engine. I should try to abandon the idea of archetypes falling into aggro-midrange-control-combo and focus on finding neat late game engines that generate some kind of kind of advantage that can slot into a lot of different decks, whether the advantage be in board control, mana superiority, or 2-for-1s.

III. For cards like Sakura-Tribe Scout to be playable outside of the Moonfolk deck, the green's ramp cards are going to have to be way different.

Archetypes

{W}{U} - Solar Flare
{U}{B} - Ninjas
{B}{R} - Madness/ Cycling/ Discard Aggro
{R}{G} - Loam
{G}{W} - Splicers

{W}{B} - Aristocrats
{B}{G} - Recursion Midrange
{U}{G} - Moonfolk
{U}{R} - Surreal Memoir Control
{W}{R} - Eggs/ Kuldotha Boros (Artifact Shenanigans)

These are the archetypes I went out of my way to support but this list is far from the end all be all list of archetypes. Due to the nature of the card pool, overlap in archetypes, and nature of the mana base, a lot of these archetypes can appear similar on the surface but draw from different parts of the card pool to create decks that resemble each other on the surface but focus on different things.

A really good example of this is the WB aristocrats deck. Depending on what gets drafted, you can end up with the deck focusing on different aspects of the card pool.

Some of the archetypes above are kind of vague so I'll go into them deeper at another time

Other Design Considerations

Mana Fixing

The mana fixing in this cube is very good, maybe to the point of being too good So the vivids ended up being too good and got replaced by the sac lands. I like them in theory so we'll see how they play out. The mana base consists of the following:

20 bouncelands, 10 gainlands, and 10 sac lands. This creates a really colorful format that allows decks that are based in two colors to splash for an extra color or two. The hope is for less lines like Cryptic Command into Cloudthresher into Cruel Ultimatum and more of Jeskai decks getting full value out of Mystical Teachings and Esper Artifact decks splashing for Welding Sparks

A Very Eggy Format

Tied into mana fixing is the abundance of eggs in this format. There's a bunch of eggs in this format that serve a lot of important roles. Some like Conjurer's Bauble and Elixir of Immortality allow for decks to reprogram themselves in the late game while some simply just fix mana like Chromatic Sphere and Prophetic Prism. Some have neat spell effects attached like Aether Spellbomb and some have neat synergies when sacrificed for value like Chromatic Star and Mycosynth Spellbomb. Best of all, most of these eggs fix mana and draw cards. They seem playable in most archetypes and add a lot of wrinkles to the format.

Green Ramp

For Sakura-Tribe Scout to be good, green ramp looks like this

instead of this

The Ravnica bouncelands should thrive with this setup as they not only give you extra lands to play, they also generate a bunch of extra mana when untapped. To supplement this, cards like Fertile Growth are included as the last tool in green's ramp toolbox.

Blue Cantrips

Ponder, Preordain, Brainstorm, and Serum Visions are all commons but I'm playing stuff like Vessel of Nascency and Tormenting Voice instead. Careful Study is sweet though so I'm playing two of those.

Storm

I'm "supporting storm" by having Temporal Fissure and Empty the Warrens serve as win conditions of the Esper Familiaresque Combo decks that I've decided to support. Reaping the Graves and Sprouting Vines have the storm mechanic but they're more value based. Temporal Fissure was too good.

Working With What You Have

This was one of my favorite aspects of working on this cube. Some effects like Life From the Loam and Seismic Assault don't exist in easily recognizable forms at Common or Uncommon. I really wanted a loamish deck so I turned to the tools that were available to me.

Conclusion

I ended up writing a lot without really going into much depth about the archetypes that I'm supporting s that'll come at a later time. I went into a lot of detail about the design of this cube and hopefully it was enough to help others understand my thought processes. Suggestions are always welcome! I'm super excited about this cube and would love to hear any and all feedback. Since the value of this cube is only around $160, I'll hopefully be able to acquire it pretty quickly and get some real drafts in.

One final link to the Kindergartener Cube in case anyone missed it

Also, special thanks to Grillo's Penny Pincher cube project as well as any others that contributed to it as that was a major source of information and inspiration for this project.

Grillo's Penny Pincher Cube

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Did a few more drafts, looks fun and I like a lot of the interactions.

I do have a couple concerns, however: the vivids seem pretty absurd, and the format looks pretty 4-5c goodstuffy.

I'm bouncing around inside of the drafts, since a lot of the blue cards are clear first picks, and I've done enough penny drafts where I can recognize where the power gap is pretty distinct. I don't really like the moonfolk wizards, which seem very bad compared to outright killing an opponent with peregrine drake and other flyers, backed up by broken blue cards like ghostly flicker, and temporal fissure. However, when I run into a gap in my power drafting, rather than having to consolidate and explore lower power synergies, I can just pick vivids and bounces, and continue good stuff drafting.

I'm also not seeing much in the way of tools to disrupt bounceland spam, which--when coupled with the vivids--should become the default best format strategy.

I know you want to create incentives for people to durdle with moonwizards--and that interaction is cool--but there are much more high power ways built into the format to exploit them.

Red is also a bit light on good burn to recur for the UR deck.

I finally have time to reply! Thanks for the drafts and feedback. I would like some guidance on some of this stuff since I'm pretty new to this kind of format.

I'm bouncing around inside of the drafts, since a lot of the blue cards are clear first picks, and I've done enough penny drafts where I can recognize where the power gap is pretty distinct.

Do you think it's a good idea to try to de-power blue a little bit? What are some of the clear first picks in the color? I feel like I recognize some like Peregrine Drake and Ghostly Flicker (or maybe I'm just off base?) Are there any that seem innocuous at first but are actually pretty powerful? Do you think storm is too powerful? (Familiar Combo specifically)

the vivids seem pretty absurd, and the format looks pretty 4-5c goodstuffy

The vivids will probably have to go. I had high hopes but I think you're right in that they'll be used to draft 4-5c decks rather than allowing decks to unlock extra modes on cards like Mystical Teachings

Do you have any opinion on Ancient Spring and friends as replacements? They're not as good as the bouncelands but they do create an interesting mini game of resource management. I could see it being fun asking yourself whether it's worth it to stone rain yourself to flashback Mystical Teachings or play your 4 drop on turn 3. They have some interesting synergy with cards like Tilling Treefolk, Grim Discovery, and Voyaging Satyr. The biggest drawback seems like a lot of these lands would just be basic lands that came into play tapped.

I'm also not seeing much in the way of tools to disrupt bounceland spam

What kind of tools should I be looking for? Stuff like Stone Rain and Sinkhole seem too oppressive. Regress seems like it could be the sweet spot. I like Spreading Seas but would it be good to give blue most of the answers as well as threats? Probably not. Maybe some of the 4-5cmc land destruction spells with cycling. Annex seems interesting but too good.

tldr; What cmc should these effects be costed at?

Mirror golem is such a creative inclusion.

I found Mirror Golem when looking for Tinker targets. Tinker ultimately went away but I thought the golem was interesting enough to keep around. I like that the Imprint effect can be responded to. Typing about the card actually made me realized that it interacts with the splicers that are floating around.

Red is also a bit light on good burn to recur for the UR deck.
I'll work on this.

Thank you in advance for all of the insight!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I would stay away from blue bounceland disruption, as that will likely just end up cementing blue as your best color. I would Price it at 4-6cc in a non-blue color, preferably with double CC. If you want to be very safe, make it a spell, not something with a body attached, and if a body is attached, push it up closer to the 5-6cc range.

These are your most powerful blue cards:

Of those, I think fissure and drake should go. Thats basically black lotus and ancestral recall in the context of the format. Frantic search, cloud, and snap are also fundamentally broken cards, but we want people to have fun with mana gushing, so thats ok. You could support drake, as long as you're ok with enabling a little bit more nonsense, but fissure really should go--it just is not a fun card in a format like this, where its resolution is essentially game over. You might consider breaking singleton on cloud if you really want to encourage mana gushing, but I think you'll find it overtakes a lot of your slower ramp options.

Also, strongly recomend

Bone shredder is kind of the heart of the UB ninja deck. Repeal and unearth give it profitable ways to control the board, and repeal also interacts well with cloud.

Those sac lands seem really interesting to me. Its a very powerful, and unfair effect, that might give the green land recursion part of your cube an avenue to compete with the unfair blue strategies.

TheoryCraft Update #1

After reading through Grillo's advice I made the following changes. This update aims to address 4 problem points before actual playtesting.
  • Removal of the Vivid Lands to encourage drafters to explore lower power synergies rather than Powerful Cards + Lands
  • Removal of some of busted/ unfun blue cards so the other colors can keep up
  • Additional tools to interact with bouncelands
  • Additional burn for the UR deck
In

Out

Some Notes
  • As I stated above, I hope the Sac Lands will encourage unlocking extra modes on cards like Finish rather than encouraging 4-5c good stuff drafting. I am also interested in seeing how they interact with cards that recur lands.
  • Some of the best blue cards came out in order to help bring the color in line with the others power level wise. I cut some of the storm support in Ghostly Flicker and Peregrine Drake. I added Wormfang Drake so the combo is still possible but much narrower. Wormfang also seems like it could have a neat home in the Ninja deck but seems high-risk high-reward. Pore Over the Pages is a card that I should've originally included but forgot about. I like that Hieroglyphic Illumination can bin itself for recursion later.
  • Bramblecrush, Befoul, Regress, and Rain of Rust come in as additional tools to reign in bouncelands. I selected them due to their non-narrow nature and will hopefully be enough.
  • Red got a pretty big overhaul. Most of what got gutted were the remnants of a RB Sacrifice theme that ended up getting moved to WB. I swapped some enchantment based removal for instant/ sorcery removal to help out the UR Spell Recursion deck. I broke singleton on Magma Jet because I really like the top of library manipulation it gives the color. Furnace Celebration got doubled up to help the WR Eggs Deck. Spawning Breath may end up being too weak.
I would like to find a spot for this guy. I like the interaction with Nameless Inversion.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The issue with cards like regress and flickerwisp, is that they allows the following scenario to occur in these formats:

On the play

Op: land
You: Land
OP:Land
You: Bounceland tapped, return land to hand
OP: Land->Regress
You: :(

That leaves them with 0 permanents in play, and you with 3 lands. Thats basically game.

One of the nice things about these formats, however, is that you shouldn't have an issue with people running artifact or enchantment hate. Normal unplayables, like creeping mold, become quite good when they have a primary purpose of disrupting mana development around turn 4, but can incidentally blow up artifacts/enchantments.

TheoryCraft Update #2

Did another update, tried to accomplish the following.
  • Did an overhaul of Red and Black in order to work in a madness/ cycling/ discard theme.
  • Added more multicolored cards and removed some underwhelming artifacts and lands.
  • Did some light housekeeping in other parts of the cube
Out

In

So with these changes, this is what the color pairs touching red and black are supporting.

{B}{R} - Madness/ Cycling/ Discard Aggression
{B}{W} - Aristocrats
{B}{U} - Ninjas
{B}{G} - The Rock/ Recursion Midrange

{R}{W} - Eggs/ Kuldotha Boros
{R}{U} - Surreal Memoir Control
{R}{G} - Loam

I've shifted away {B}{G} away from tokens/ sacrifice and more towards being a deck that generates card advantage by recurring creatures with things like Reaping the Grave and Pulse of Murasa. The new madness cards and discard outlets in Black should give the color pair some powerful cards and a way to mitigate the drawback of cards that have discard as a drawback. I will most likely do a few updates in green to have this theme operate smoothly.

The {U}{B} Ninja deck was given the following cards to help the ninjutsu cards to get in for multiple hits.

The {W}{R} Eggs/ Kuldotha Boros deck got some more support with the addition of the following.

The hope is that this will allow the deck to be built more aggressively if the cards roll that way. The more controlling style of the deck that leans on Furnace Celebration, Epitaph Golem, Auriok Salvagers and various baubles should still be intact.

Those are the biggest changes. The other colors were either unedited or received incidental support to the {B}{R} overhaul. I still have the following concerns.
  • I'm still not sure whether red has enough good burn. Some more advice here would be appreciated.
  • The moonfolk might be too weak for this cube so I'll have to keep an eye on how they perform in real drafts.
Other than that I'm pretty happy with how the cube is progressing and will probably look into purchasing/ playtesting the cube in the following weeks. I would love to hear any last minute advice!

This is less of an update and more me thinking out loud. I've brought the idea of this cube up to my playgroup but they seem to want me to focus on a more traditional cube. I'm probably going to work on getting that cube finished so I can build up some good will before dropping this cube on them.

I'm excited for the externalize cards in Hour of Devastation as it'll allow white to be more interesting and all ow it to have more ways to generate card advantage. I'm excited for the new aftermath cards as well. Together with the eternalize cards they should allow for a greater focus on the graveyard as a play space.

I've been trying flesh out some color pair in my head and I think I've settled on the following.

{U}{R} and {R}{G} feel like closely related decks. They're basically both control decks that use recursion to power out spells that lead to "many for ones." This kind of leads to a natural feeling {U}{R}{G} that uses Archaeomancers, Surreal Memoirs, and Tilling Treefolks to power out Conflagrates and Savage Twisters.

Claim // Fame makes me want to revisit {B}'s role as a reanimation color and kind of flesh out what is essentially Little Reanimator and Big Reanimator.

Little Reanimator will want to use cards like Unearth, Claim // Fame, and Devoted Crop-Mate to generate value from cards that were either sacrificed for value, self-milled, or discard as part of a spell's casting card. Additionally, this should tax removal against decks that like to run a lot of removal. The deck will most likely feel like a flicker deck that runs through the graveyard.

Big Reanimator will resemble Solar Flare decks and Traditional Reanimator combo deck. The primary reanimation targets for this deck will be large creatures with cycling. Things like Jungle Weaver aren't necessarily super strong or over powered but that type of card does send itself to the graveyard and is still a large threat that is getting cheated out early. Balancing removal and reanimation effects in {W} and {B} will have to be done through playtesting.

The more I work on this cube, the more the Moonfolk theme seems to be lackluster. This leads me back to my original problem of not knowing what to do with {U}{G}. The {U}{R}, {R}{G}, {U}{R}{G} color pairs all want to recur powerful spell effects that affect the board, most of which are found in {R}. I'm worried that this will send drafters down a path where {U}{G} decks just spin their wheels drawing cards and recurring those spells that draw cards. The {U}{G} decks seem like they should be good at generating massive amounts of mana but what should that mana be spent on? Hopefully I'll be able to find an answer.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
This is less of an update and more me thinking out loud. I've brought the idea of this cube up to my playgroup but they seem to want me to focus on a more traditional cube. I'm probably going to work on getting that cube finished so I can build up some good will before dropping this cube on them.

Thats a unique challenge, and one that is good to experience here, in cube design. Social groups like structure (surprise surprise), and the only structure this group has likely really known is power max cube and its derivatives. Asking them to change is like tearing down the walls all at once, uprooting them, ending their world, and asking them to go someplace on the speculative sounding premise that it might be better (while imagining how it might be worse). Thats uncomfortable, even if it might ultimately take them to a better place. And they will happily live in that rut, telling themselves its fine, for years. People do this with bigger things, and its sad.

Even if you manage to go through the challenge of creating something truly new and creative, because its new and creative, no one has in place any metric to evaluate it (by its very nature), if they have no metric in place to evaluate it, they can't decide if its good or bad, and if they can't decide if its good or bad, why not stay with what they already know is good.

And thats exactly whats going on here: they have no idea what you're talking about, it sounds weird and strange, and why not just stick with what they already know they enjoy and is already popular.

So now you have to sell it, which is difficult. You have to figure out what the insanity is going on inside of their heads, articulate for yourself what the issues are, than articulate a persuasive argument or set of arguments in a way they won't find condescending, but they can understand, and which creates enough dissonance for them to do something completely unnatural for them to do.

Every single time you ever come up with anything creative during the course of your life, this is going to happen.

Edit: Also, calling it the Kindergartener Cube is probably really bad, as you're sub-communicating that its simplistic, primitive, and for children.

I choose Penny Pincher Cube because it suggested a positive reason for the format's existence--good magic at a reasonable price point. With powered cubes costing 2-8k to build, and $30-$100 per new set to maintain, "Penny Pincher" clearly articulates the niche its intended to fill.