[360 cards] Bohemian Cube

Bohemian Cube

In order to get the full effect of this cube, please check out the visual spoiler
http://www.cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/58137

This is a project I've been mulling over in my head for a few years in one form or the other, but seriously started working on it about six months ago. I'm pretty proud of the end result. I even painted three of the arts for the set.

The goal of the Bohemian cube is to blend the modern with the old in order to create an experience that resembles the beginning years of Magic the Gathering while updating them to the sensibilities of a modern player. What if beta, but better?
Sample Pack
dvyawQV.png

Many have shown admiration in the end product, and while I always do enjoy praise, I would like some constructive criticism of the card choices. There are cards I'm worried about being too powerful and not powreful enough. And I would like suggestions for potential new cards to add to the product. Both real and custom cards. At some point I do plan on doing a 90 card expansion to this.

Thank you for taking a look.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You obviously have a patreon account for CubeTutor. I would encourage you to mark your custom cards to make the list more readable. For example, I mark my customs purple in my main cube. Your customs often say something about the power level of your cube. For example, Ruby Trinket signals that you are going for a power level somewhere between MtGO's Legacy Cube (which runs signets]) and MtGO's Vintage Cube (which runs moxen, Black Lotus, etc). I wonder what the power band you are going for is, though. There's quite a gap between Upheaval and (slightly) worse moxen on one side, and Sentinel Spider or a watered-down Fabled Hero on the other, just to use your booster as an example.

I just wanted to say that the flavor of your cube is incredibly on point! I don't know where you found all the art, but most of it fits the look and feel of Beta-era Magic perfectly!

Nitpicks:
I don't think "permanent" was a thing in Beta? Upheaval should probably read: "All cards in play are returned to owner's hand."

I probably could have done a better job to flatten the power level.

Re: The trinkets. Moxen are such a big part of the mistique which is the early years of magic I wanted to add in something that resembled them. We toyed with playing the mirage diamonds, but we didn't like them. We then decided we either wanted 0CC moxen with a draw back (either doesn't untap or etb tapped) or clean 1 drop versions. We ended up going with the one drop versions.

There are cards I'm worried about on both the too low and too high end of the power spectrum. Pack Rat being the biggest one that worries me. I want Plague Rats in the set, but I might make a custom pack rat where the tokens can't breed.

Also, the cube is now something that exists in the real world. I'm trying to get a draft going in the next few days.
DesaCqCUEAA3fos.jpg

Got to do some winston drafts.

4T1ladN.jpg

Deck was good. Harm's way as always creates good game experiences. Royal Assassin met up with Goldmeadow Harrier and Icy Manipulator. It's always great when you see a thing in your head and it happens in real games. Mother of Runes was possibly too good. COnsidering making a custom version that costs either 1W or costs W to activate. Pack Rat got drawn only one game in 7. And kicked Cyclonic Rift kept it from winning the game in three turns. Considering making a custom version that can't breed. Anyobo never got drawn.

472tqnV.jpg

This deck was pretty good. Djinn of Wishes, Dungeon Geists, and Sentinel Spider all did work. Gravecrawler wurm didn't impress. Could be replaced.

nUujH8a.jpg

The white defense deck seemed pretty good. Got to time warp twice in a game, never 3 or 4 times. (Regrowth, Recall) Sphinx was fine but didn't particularly wow me. Trinket Mage fetching Trinkets feels right. Narcolepsy and Prey Upon felt like good beta cards. Autamaton rode the line on being too good. Glad I removed death touch and life link from wurmcoil engine.

5ZoN08e.jpg

This deck just needed a few more creatures. Worst deck that got drafted. Living death has a typo that need to be fixed.

After a few drafts my thoughts

White:
My four drops are terrible. I like wall of reverence. dislike Daybreak Elemental and Coalition Honor-Guard
I want to cut worship. It leads to too many games where it comes down turn 3-4 and opponent just picks up their deck. Friend suggested color-shifted Ali from Cairo in this slot.
Avenging Angel could be something else and I don't think anyone would miss it.
Mother of Runes is on the edge of too good. Possibly change it to work similar to Story Circle

Blue:
Possibly could use another counterspell.
Invisible Stalker has some of the same problems it had in it's original draft format. Might be ok or maybe give it an autumn willow way for opponent to turn off it's hexproof.
Stormtide Leviathan could be cut no problem.
I'm still not smart enough to play gifts ungiven.
Dungeon Geist is a prefect card in this format.

Black
Dark Night of the Soul randomly being a world enchantment mattered in a game.
Pack Rat: Yeah it's too good here like it was in Rav. Thinking of changing it to

Rat King 1B
Creature - Rat
~'s p/t is equal to the number of rats you control.
2B, T, Discard a card: Create a black rat token with "this creature's p/t are equal to the number of rats you control.
*/*

Red
Red could use another burn spell (maybe two)
I find myself being very hesitant about playing any of the RR creatures. I'm not sure if that's just me being too worried about the casting cost or not.
Gamble could be cut.
Goblin War Marshal could be Goblin Instigator. It's simpler.

Green
My ramp package is working well. I like how none of them work the same as each other.
Essence Warden could be cut.
Untamed Kavu has been great.
Gravetiller Wurm is lackluster as a ramp target.
Exploration is terrible it it's not in your opening 7.

Multicolor
Dual land selection is fine
Agony Warp, Fires of Yavimaya could be a stronger card.
I'm a little unconfortable with Aonyobo being such a custom card. Most of my other ones are just slight tweeks on existing magic cards.
Edric, Brion, and Olivia have been game defining cards in the games they have been played. I want my gold to b be rare but important. I could almost see going down to just 1 per guild. But I like having a creature and spell in each guild so I'll probalby keep it the same. Doubt I would expand this section if I expanded the cube overall.

Colorless
Not sure if Crucible has enough shinanigans
Ring of Invisibility (Whispersilk cloak) has been week.
All the artifact creatures see play. Could see adding in another 1-2.
Automaton is on the edge of too good. Every deck seems to be willing to play it.
Zhalfirin Void has been surprisingly decent.

Overall:
I like most of my invented cards (minus daybreak elemental)
I'm happy with how this is turning out. After watching GP Vegas's beta draft, my cube does not emulate that. I would have to scale back considerably on what my creatures do. Remove almost all of the token cards and load up on vanilla and french vanilla creatures. Things like turning Thalia, Accorder Palaidn, and Selfless Spirit into Youthful Knight, Knight of New Benalia, and mistral charger. In order to do that I would have to be able to understand the format well enough to consider merits of a third or fourth power on a vanilla creature and I don't have the playtesting time available to me to do that properly. Nor am I certain I want to do that.