General BenS's draft article / Cube

CML

Contributor
BenS is one of the few top MTG players that maximizes the function (charisma * popularity * visibility * results), so his articles are always a treat. http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/stark-reality-drafting-the-hard-way/

You could draw analogies between his methods of consistently crushing draft to the edge-mongering of the best poker players, or apply these methods to winning Cube drafts. Though I'm interested in that, as a complex and competitive and difficult environment is the level zero that enables the rest of MTG's fun, I think others might be able to do a better job of it.

Instead I want to focus on this paragraph:

Different things are a little more or a little less important in each new format. So at the start of a new format, I’m mostly trying to identify whether flying is a little better (Return to Ravnica). How about lifelink? (Zendikar). Is this a format where drawing cards is a little bit more profitable than usual (Modern Masters)? Or is this a format where a lower mana cost is of extra value (Gatecrash).

Applied to Cube design I read this as, "Draft formats have far more similarities than differences, and are extraordinarily sensitive to certain choices you will make as the designer." The most important of these choices is average CMC, I think, but density of fixing, density of removal, and other things Cooperfauss talked about in his similar article here (http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/cuberhauss-please-try-this-at-home-part-2/). This all means that rich environments are difficult to create, as without calibration edges will be more unsubtle than "flyers are slightly better than lifelink" and therefore as simple as slamming a Wurmcoil Engine or Black Vise. A draft environment is an intricate puzzle -- the kind of maze that DGM describes and does not embody.

Applied to Cube drafting I read this as, "Everyone's gotten a lot better, which is cool, since it means we're on a higher level, but it also means that the edges are thinner and margins lower (in a way comparable to online poker or sports betting or finance) than they used to be, so then making the act of solving the puzzle fresh each time is on the designer, as the players have high standards." Designing a Cube is far easier than designing a set from scratch, though. Concepts like novel mechanics, commercial success, managing pre-existing expectations, the effect on Constructed formats, and numerous other constraints, become irrelevant. But this isolation makes conventional Cube design fragile, as when two or three of these concepts are introduced, you end up with a train-wreck like the Modo Cube. And there the difference is not the difference between flying and lifelink; it's the difference between Jace and Tibalt.

Discuss

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I thought his article was pretty great. I particularly liked the bit about Pack 2 vs. Pack 3, as it's something I had vaguely perceived before but not quite articulated. I guess it's maybe that people perceive they have control over Pack 2 by cutting, but you also have control over Packs 1 and 3 by jumping ship, which is an entirely different skill.

I also find that skill harder to apply in Cube. He mentioned getting something like a "3rd or 4th pick as P1P8", which is great, if you can define that. I find retail sets to have a more rigid hierarchy (best card, second best card, etc.), and cube leaves a lot of room for differences in interpretation. Am I getting this card because nobody is in the color, or because other players are misevaluating?

Lastly, I know I am in the camp that does not abandon my first picks very regularly. I am far more likely to get greedy and add an additional color (while keeping the old ones) than to jump from colors entirely.

CML

Contributor
Guess we could post the OP to the main page?

P2 vs. P3 -- it's true that power levels across packs are never flat. The biggest discrepancy is Alara Reborn vs. Conflux (though Conflux was also shitty compared to Shards of Alara). Other examples that come to mind are EVE over SHM and MOR vs. LOR and (back in the day) AP vs. PS/IN. The issue is of course more complex than that since it depends on what kind of extra advantage you get over other drafters based on cornering those packs. In original RGD for example Selesnya was maligned as there was no shard or wedge that would allow you a guild in both p2 and p3, but it also didn't matter that much. Whereas DGR is more punishing. The idea is related to how hard you want to push certain themes, or how much "direction" you want to give your drafters. I believe WotC has been erring, sometimes erring very hard, on the side of too much direction.

Agree that Cube power levels are flatter than retail environments. That's part of the fun!

For this reason, though I end up not playing my P1P1 in Cube sometimes, I pretty much never jump ship in retail sets, and though a competent competitive drafter, I am far from great at it. I wonder if my own bias towards not abandoning bombs is the tail wagging the dog of my Cube design.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I enjoyed that article a lot, too. In a weird way, I kind of like that BenS only writes twice a year, because you know when he puts pen to paper that he has some important wisdom to impart on us peons.

I've definitely been drafting in what BenS calls "easy mode" my entire Magic career. I.. I don't know that I have what it takes to jump out of that mindset and try "hard mode". But I'll certainly make an effort. It's probably no coincidence that I'm in the midst of a long, protacted losing streak in both cube and retail limited drafts, which in turn is making me hunker down and force archetypes even more. Which is a losing proposition.

CML

Contributor
I think my mediocre results at RTRx3 draft were mainly due to _not_ forcing something (ok, "Selesnya")

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
For the second draft in recent memory, I first picked a Thragtusk, tried to force the green midrangy ramp deck, and then swiftly and catastrophically got train-wrecked by the four or so other green drafters. I don't know what it is about that card, but it seems to trap me in everytime, and my tunnel vision doesn't let me abandon the archetype mid-draft, until I examine my pile at the end and discover how gross it is.

On the other hand, in the previous draft I went P1P1 Baneslayer Angel, immediately ditched her when I saw a P1P2 Gravecrawler, and never looked back. I suppose I don't hold the Queen in the same high regard.

Does this happen to any of you guys? Do you ever get trapped by a favourite card and go down a winding path, ignoring all the signs that it's a dead end even when it becomes obvious?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Green is popular like you wouldn't believe here. In any given eight man, the over/under on green drafters is 3.5. On the other hand, you could nab Cryptic Command first pick here, force blue-based anything, and I wouldn't fault you for it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
That's not really a statement Eric. The expected number of drafters in a given color is 3.5 if players on average are running 2.1875 colors in their decks.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
My playgroup's pretty conservative when it comes to splashing, so two colour decks are the norm, and occasionally you see the odd mono-colour deck. In that kind of environment, knowing there's a good chance that there will be four green drafters on any given night means I can safely pass on an early Noble Hierarch without guilt.