General CFB Card Design Contest Voting and Discussion

Which card do you think should win the contest?

• Shadow Servant

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Explosive Arrival

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Pillars of Lost Thoughts

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Priest of the Cursed Flame

• Disciple of Shadows

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Stoneforge Foundry

• Root-Maze Enchantress

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Head of Conspiracy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Experiment Two

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Augur of Entrails

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think out of these, the card I would be most excited for p1p1, as far as drafting, building and playing the rest of my deck, is Priest of the Cursed Flame. Unlike Soulforge Mystic it can't soft-lock the game because flashback exiles the card, and there's just a lot of cute things going on in a cohesive package. I really dig it!

PS. I know this is not a p1p1 contest, it's just an indication of which card wowed me the most.

Cursed Flame is sweeter for sure and i would play it more often than the card i voted, but Disciple of Shadows to me feels more like a finished card.
It's powerful enough to fit a cube and it works in every step of the game, so yeah really digging it.

Aoret

Developer
I'm guessing something in the broadcast tells me that we narrowed it down to the above cards? I kinda wanna vote for one that isn't in the poll

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm guessing something in the broadcast tells me that we narrowed it down to the above cards? I kinda wanna vote for one that isn't in the poll

You can only put up a poll with 10 options max, so Jason picked the 10 he liked best.

Laz

Developer
I think I need some criteria.
Card I am most excited about? Card I am most likely to put in my cube? Card with the most elegant design?

Disciple of Shadows just doesn't really work for me. Feels like forced self synergy. And Unholy Tribute doesn't feel like a real mechanic. Partially because we rarely get mechanics with numbers like that anymore, and also because that number usually(always?) describes what happens, not a cost.
Maybe I just don't get it.

I agree, it feels like Disciple pretends to have synergy with lifegain cards but really doesn't and it's just an undercosted recurring beater.

Unholy Tribute is not a great mechanic, in part because the number doesn't matter that much. Anything less than 6ish life is disposable when you're the beatdown and you're gaining life anyway. Below that, there's not much point to having a life cost at all.

Stoneforge Foundry gets my vote because it has the most game impact without being clearly overpowered, it's hard to evaluate, and I immediately want something like it in my cube.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So I wanted to listen to your discussion, but didn't want to do it sitting at a computer for 2 hours. So I spent waaaaayyyy too much time trying to convert it to an mp3 file (which ended up successful). I also amped up the volume, as it was really quiet. I am sure there are others here that feel the same way as me, so I uploaded it to soundcloud for others to listen. It is a bit hard to know what they are going on about when you can's see the cards, but hey, it is still a great listen.

Here is the link. You can download it too if you want.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So I wanted to listen to your discussion, but didn't want to do it sitting at a computer for 2 hours. So I spent waaaaayyyy too much time trying to convert it to an mp3 file (which ended up successful). I also amped up the volume, as it was really quiet. I am sure there are others here that feel the same way as me, so I uploaded it to soundcloud for others to listen. It is a bit hard to know what they are going on about when you can's see the cards, but hey, it is still a great listen.

Here is the link. You can download it too if you want.

Man I really regret not straight reading the rules text of all the cards now :p

i voted for stoneforged.

it was it was a close between pillars & stoneforged. luxozoa and rootmaze in the tier after that.

i thought about entering but i didn't feel right entering a contest where i'm not interested in the prize (not that i would necessarily win, but still, just the chance of it).

Some of these cards feel 'finished' while others could use tweaks, but in the spirit of the contest, to design a card that is both fine on its own and fits in multiple cube archetypes, I think a number of them are simply too narrow or resemble existing cards too closely to vote for.

I'm voting for Soulfire Grand Master's evil cousin, because I feel like it would be played with the most variety in the average cube.

I am super impressed that X-2 is doing as well in the voting as it is :p
It's a cool card. Two words of rules text leads to this sweet engine. I personally find the overlap with Anafenza too great, and would just run her instead, but it's a solid green aggro supporter nonetheless.

X-2 Is a great card with so many differeny potential plays built into it and only using two simple keywords. It's clean and sleak and feels like it could be a real card.

Status
Not open for further replies.