Site News CFB Store Credit Contest: Design a Cube Card

someone give us a nice aggressive creature that costs B

Here's my brainstorm of that:

Vengeance Incarnate - B
Creature - Elemental
Sacrifice Vengeance Incarnate: creatures you control gain fear and deathtouch until end of turn.
2/1

It sorta turned into an interesting(?) cycle:

Compassion Incarnate - W
Creature - Elemental
Sacrifice Compassion Incarnate: creatures you control gain protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
2/1

Freedom Incarnate - U
Creature - Elemental
Sacrifice Freedom Incarnate: creatures you control gain flying until end of turn.
2/1

Passion Incarnate - U
Creature - Elemental
Sacrifice Passion Incarnate: creatures you control gain +1/+0 and haste until end of turn.
2/1

Strength Incarnate - G
Creature - Elemental
Sacrifice Strength Incarnate: creatures you control gain reach and trample until end of turn.
2/1

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Freedom Incarnate sounds like something Wizards would print in a set tomorrow! :p

Filthcrawler {B}
Creature - Zombie
Whenever Filthcrawler blocks or becomes blocked, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature and you lose 1 life.
2/1

Edit: This is not my submission, by the way.

I run:

B, 2/1, ~ can't block, 1B: Return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if you control another black creature.

And it has been pretty fair. Sometimes I think it should only come back at sorcery speed, but so far, that hasn't been super relevant because the decks that play it don't need to hold up mana. It gets to dodge sorcery speed removal for a turn, but that's it.

Laz

Developer
Not an aggressive black creature... sorry.
O0NTA7w.png

Forked Bolt with sweet token and death trigger synergy!

Some questions:
Who will be judging?
I'm assuming we're to be aiming at the power level of your PrimaryCube, roughly? or what?

RViGanA.png

I like to duplicate stuff, also this can hose the opponent because you can name the opponents card.

EDIT: wrong version, now updated ! :)
EDIT 2: typos fixed.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm not sure anyone really cares about custom card stuff. Even that article about the booze cube didn't actually get that much traction, and that thing is approachable as hell.
I'd love to be surprised though

I have an almost entirely custom cube, so choosing a card for this contest was kinda hard. Some of the cards I've made that I think are interesting might be tied too much to strategies specific to my cube. Anyhow, here's my submission:
Disciple of Shadows.jpg
Human themes, lifegain, sacrifice for value, and generally recursive aggro decks all exist in my cube. This guy fits into all of them and has less of gravecrawler's swingyness in the sacrifice deck. It's possible that he should come directly to hand instead of at end of turn, or be able to block, but so far, I've been happy with him.

uuuuuhhh

Cryptkeeper {B}
Creature - Shade
Cryptkeeper can't block.
If ~ would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, return it to its owner's hand instead.
2/1

Silly Putty.png
This is the newest custom in my cube. The idea was to make narrow decks that relied on a particular card more viable, but it should go well in any deck. It also creates more tough decisions during the draft, and incidentally plays very well with the "spells matter" archetype, which I support.

Its power level scales with the power level of the cube, so it should play well in a wide range of cubes. It also depends heavily on what pack it shows up in, making for fun card evaluation decisions.

Editing to add thoughts after a few drafts:

Putty is a solid early pick, and it does work to make your deck do what you want more reliably. It interacts really well with Guttersnipe and Young Pyromancer. Other drafters said that being able to target a previous pick would have been uninteresting and too good. As is, having an unused Putty makes every pick harder as you have to decide whether it's time to pull the trigger.

Attachments

• Silly Putty.png
    Silly Putty.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 111

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
View attachment 713
This is the newest custom in my cube. The idea was to make narrow decks that relied on a particular card more viable, but it should go well in any deck. It also creates more tough decisions during the draft, and incidentally plays very well with the "spells matter" archetype, which I support.

Its power level scales with the power level of the cube, so it should play well in a wide range of cubes. It also depends heavily on what pack it shows up in, making for fun card evaluation decisions.
Would be nice if there was a way to have it target a previous pick.

Would be nice if there was a way to have it target a previous pick.

I thought it would be too easy if you could slam it pack 3 and have it get the best card from packs 1-2 without having to think about it, or even take it pack 2 and immediately be able to choose from a bunch of options. This way, you'll usually have to consider whether something better is going to come along.

Because you can sac your whole board to make it a 10/10 before dealing damage? ;)

If you can setup so much damage, you would be pretty much ahead handily already.
Now that trick is only for the end game lethal damage, and not for the early stages where you could setup some nice synergies.
Something like man-o'-war bounce and play on turn 4 etc..

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If you can setup so much damage, you would be pretty much ahead handily already.
Now that trick is only for the end game lethal damage, and not for the early stages where you could setup some nice synergies.
Something like man-o'-war bounce and play on turn 4 etc..

The weird thing on this card is probably that it's not a saboteur. Ninjutsu looks a bit strange without a "whenever this deals combat damage to an opponent" ability. This card does let you suicide into a difficult boardstate, sacrificing all blocked creatures that would die, so the ninjutus is relevant. Still a bit weird though.