Site News CFB Store Credit Contest: Design a Cube Card

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Alright, first update of Luxozoa. Still too lazy to find good flavor text.

A Jelly-Fish

Visible, invisible,
A fluctuating charm,
An amber-colored amethyst
Inhabits it; your arm
Approaches, and
It opens and
It closes;
You have meant
To catch it,
And it shrivels;
You abandon
Your intent—
It opens, and it
Closes and you
Reach for it—
The blue
Surrounding it
Grows cloudy, and
It floats away
From you.

--Marianne Moore

?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Please show me a scan of that card with that ENTIRE poem as flavor text :p

Another way to fill the gulf in the text box is to put on reminder text people probably won't need (Scry's a good candidate, and lifelink can fill the rest of the text box if that doesn't do it)

Anyways, if we're going to do this again, A) I'm thinking we wait a while, and B) it's probably a good idea to refine the theme a bit. Aggro Card, Combo Card, Green card, Artifact, Build Around, etc.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I was thinking more he takes a line that he likes, and uses that.

I would love to see something more specific as well: kind of a design challenge. The one I would like would be to come up with a fair, but playable, storm card, as I've heard people say its not possible.

I'm having a hard time remembering why I made Priest of the Cursed Flame's ability cost 2R now. Probably should be 2 R/U R/U.
Edit: excluded blue for flavor reasons

Also, for some context, I run no lightning bolt, and somewhat weaker burn in general.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
besLiRV.jpg

I see where you are going with this, but to me the card doesn't really feel cohesive. This feels like the type of card I will have to read every time it hits the battlefield, I don't really get why exiling a land is different from other cards. Not sure how to make this idea more streamlined though.

For me, I think a cleaner approach would be beefier above-the-curve stats, and you sacrifice it if you can't exile a card from your graveyard. That's a different design though. The more I talk though, the more I realize I'm just suggesting a variant on this card.
Image.ashx

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking more he takes a line that he likes, and uses that.

I would love to see something more specific as well: kind of a design challenge. The one I would like would be to come up with a fair, but playable, storm card, as I've heard people say its not possible.

Somebody make a thread for the next design challenge? I'm open to suggestions.

I see where you are going with this, but to me the card doesn't really feel cohesive. This feels like the type of card I will have to read every time it hits the battlefield, I don't really get why exiling a land is different from other cards. Not sure how to make this idea more streamlined though.

For me, I think a cleaner approach would be beefier above-the-curve stats, and you sacrifice it if you can't exile a card from your graveyard. That's a different design though. The more I talk though, the more I realize I'm just suggesting a variant on this card.
Image.ashx
Black needs more 2-drops, so I wanted to design something aggressive that had some small level of strategy to it. A 3/2 for BB that can become a 2/2 flyer is definitely above the mana cost, so I wanted to attach another cost that didn't feel arbitrary. I've also been looking for more self-mill effects, and with Madness returning I thought it was a good time to get a head start on enablers for that as well. The reasoning behind why I chose that upkeep cost is that it forces the player to decide when the best time is to provide evasion. There could be sequences where you plan a turn ahead by discarding a land to used for the next turn.

I think that mechanics like delve and ingest are really interesting, where you basically generate an artificial resource pool during the game, so that was the main inspiration. I had initially designed something that had activated abilities with delve costs (a la Grim Lavamancer) but in the end it just felt cleaner to merge it with a forced upkeep.

I did think of Jotun Grunt about halfway through designing it.