Commander Cube

As part of ongoing thought experiment to see how many distinct archetypes can exist in a limited environment, I created the following cube:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/81931

To draft this cube, draft as normal, build a 40 card deck, then choose an additional legendary creature card you drafted (regardless of color) and start each game with that card in your command zone. Players start each game with 20 life and there are no special rules regarding commander damage.

This cube is designed to be drafted by nine players, who then play three games of three. Each round is a single game, and you could play four rounds, thereby seeing each opponent. (Yes, I checked)

I haven't playtested a real version, but I have two concerns at this point in design.

1. I'm not sure how much color fixing to include.

I generally lean towards light color fixing and 2-color decks. Some players might need to splash a third color though. I think I have a good amount now, where most players don't need any fixing , but highly flexible fixing can be picked up the player who needs it. I sort of wish I could just include three of each vivid land, but I am keeping this highlander for now. I keep waffleing on how much fixing is the right amount.

2. I'm not sure it is fun to play.

This is my more important concern. Maxing archetypes via commander rules basically means I have 60~ish commanders and then everything else is a limited workhorse card. There aren't a lot of slots for "fun". Making these slots would probably mean axing large chunks of commanders. (Cutting one or two won't make much room because my archetypes are so interwoven; best return on loss comes from axing a whole thematic group.)

I guess I just want you to draft my cube, let me know your thoughts on fixing, fun, or anything else that comes to mind. I am assembling a paper version now, and fantasizing about actually have nine drafters. (Six would probably work though)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
To answer your two concerns:

1. I don't think you can ever have too much fixing.

This is just my view, but considering how many cards can actually make your deck in the end it is nice to always have some 'free' picks. Which is where the lands come in. Plus, this is multiplayer, and commander, so you would be running more lands than normal no? So you may as well pick cards that you know will make your deck smoother and you won't have to worry about if it matches your curve or what not. I believe you are a bit low on the fixing spectrum, but if you want decks to be mostly 2 colour, then I wouldn't be putting in tri-lands as they would get picked highly and not go to the decks that need them. 20 pieces of fixing is possibly fine for a 360 cube, but at 500 cards it is a miniscule percentage. Add at least the Gain lands to your list. They are cheap, decent enough and really help smooth games.

2. I am also not sure it is fun to play, or to draft for that matter :\

This question raises alarm bells to me. If you are asking if it is fun to play, then either you don't know what you want to do, or you know what you want to do and this cube isn't satisfying your idea of 'fun'.
So, I did a draft, like I usually do, I go in blind and see what comes out. Here is where I ended up:

WU Falcons from CubeTutor.com

From the first pack, I noticed a pretty low power level, so I just picked things that would be good in a multiplayer game. Boards get gummed up, so flyers. Picked up anything that produced some sort of additional value (embalm, card draw, bestow) just to be able to eek out advantage, as the games may go long and the person with the most resources generally wins. I also didn't prioritise any commander to build around, as that seemed like a path doomed to fail. I almost didn't even have a legendary creature until my 6th last pick of the draft where I picked up Soraya, which I am not even sure work with my deck (does she buff birds now?).
I didn't really know what to think of the draft either, there were a lot of cards that I questioned if they were playable in a multiplayer setting. Are there archetypes that I can draft? If I first pick a commander is there enough support to make a cool deck around it? All of these questions are what other drafters will be asking and am wondering if you have answers for them.
Speaking of questions, since I answered yours I want you to answer just this one question:
  1. What do YOU find fun about commander and cube and why try and merge them together?
The first step to designing a cube is knowing what you and your playgroup like to play. If I/we can distill what brought about this idea, then we can help refine it into your dream format.
At this point though it seems like you had just a vague idea and ran with it until you hit a wall.
I am not trying to crush your dreams here, just trying to push them onto the right path.