Article Cube Design - Tri-color Cards

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So... after whiffing a while on ideas why my cube didn't play out exactly as I hoped it would, I figured out Bant just wasn't that exciting. I am going to try Naya after all, since I realized there's a few nice and cubeable hidden Naya cards. Wild Nacatl and Thornscape Battlemage are both plenty playable for example.

So, the next experiment will be a WBURG cube.

Guilds: Orzhov, Dimir, Izzet, Gruul, Selesnya
Shards: Esper, Grixis, Temur, Naya, Abzan

So... after whiffing a while on ideas why my cube didn't play out exactly as I hoped it would, I figured out Bant just wasn't that exciting.

So, the next experiment will be a WBURG cube.
Well shucks! You went the exact same shards/wedges as I'm going, if for slightly different reasons. Hopefully I find a way to make Bant go.

Commenting to note that this article is one of the ones that I was reading last week which resulted in me diving into cubing this week! Great article.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well shucks! You went the exact same shards/wedges as I'm going, if for slightly different reasons. Hopefully I find a way to make Bant go.

Commenting to note that this article is one of the ones that I was reading last week which resulted in me diving into cubing this week! Great article.

WBURG was a blast in the one draft (well, Silent Auction) I got to play with it. There's a few duds in the monocolor section still, but so far I'm pretty happy with how it works out. Drafting on cubetutor delivers some very satisfying decks in varying color combinations, and a lot of the time I'll draft three-color decks because the mana finally lets me. I think the best decision I made for my new cube was playing only lands in the guilds/shards/wedges that are supported. So no off-color fetches or duals. There's four tri-color lands in my 450 cube per shard/wedge, so you could conceivably end up in a guild that's not supported and still have decent mana fixing, but players will now naturally gravitate towards supported colors. Good times.

WBURG was a blast in the one draft (well, Silent Auction) I got to play with it.
Interesting. Mayyyybe I'll have to try it, or at least take a look at what my cube would look like if it was WBURG. To me, Esper leads to the longest, most frustrating games because most of the game is about saying No and breaking stuff, not very much about making stuff. So that's why I'm currently still WBRUG. But maybe Bant's slow building nature is actually less exciting than Esper's hail of denial and control.

If it could be written down, revealing a card that shares at least 2 color with the mana the land produces, seems like a good reveal clause, yes!
Like this? It miiiiight not be too much text. But it's a lotta text.

u1jltkP.jpg

Yuss. So much cleaner. So "reveal a white card, then reveal a black card", right? Because "reveal a white card and a black card" would mean you have to reveal two cards simultaneously, and "reveal a black and white card" would require orzhov?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
*Smug Grin*
Small nitpick though, you're using the old multicolor frame, rather than a land. you should probably use this one instead:
143.jpg

Compare modern:

Also: ROYGBivouac?

Reactions: CML
Ah, thanks. I haven't cracked open MSE in about a year, so I was already forgetting some of what I know about templating. Actually, MSE used the correct template by default but I was like "no I think it needs a multicolor frame" and so then I RUINED EVERYTHING.

I just really, really, really hate the Modern red background, and I really really love the classic black background, so put those together and I end up preferring the classic templates over the modern ones despite how hideous and blurry the gold card background is.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Onderzeboot, what lands are you currently running? Didnt see a list on the forum.

I only run lands for the supported guilds and shards/wedges. So no Nomad Outpost for example, because I don't run any Mardu cards. With that in mind, off the top of my head, I run

Per guild (I don't support Azorius, but it's the first guild, so I'll use it as an example):
Blessed Retreat.png

Per shard/wedge:
Arctic Moor.pngFreshwater Morass.png

Planning to replace the last one with this:
Freshwater Morass.png
But I have to get my hands on a bunch of worthless foils first... :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I only run lands for the supported guilds and shards/wedges. So no Nomad Outpost for example, because I don't run any Mardu cards. With that in mind, off the top of my head, I run

Per guild (I don't support Azorius, but it's the first guild, so I'll use it as an example):
View attachment 192

Per shard/wedge:
View attachment 191View attachment 193

Planning to replace the last one with this:
View attachment 194
But I have to get my hands on a bunch of worthless foils first... :)

the zendikar binder at my LGS has almost all the white, blue and most of the red missing :p

I'm bumping this up again, because now we have had some time to play around with this stuff if we wanted as well as having KTK behind us. I've been thinking about draft formats and cubes a lot lately, and how the mana base can form the back bone for a format.

I'm curious about how you people have run your color pair distributions, if you only ran 5 guilds. Did you run all 10 or only the 5 you supported? I think this is interesting because, in khans of tarkir (while there were only the trilands) we had access to all 10 color pairs.

I haven't tested it much but running all ten two color land pairs with a large chunk of them being enemy colors seems the most efficient thing to do.