General Cube supplies (sleeves, storage etc.)

Dom Harvey

Contributor
My shitty black Ultra Pros have had their day, and I'm looking to upgrade. Which brands have you guys liked? KMC? Dragon Shield?

I run KMC, and like them now that they are double sleeved. They broke quite a lot without perfect fits.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Dragon Shield, though I've not used KMC. I hear they're both awesome, so whatever you can buy easier in bulk.

In terms of boxes, while the typical white longbox is a solid cheap standard, the Holiday Gift boxes they sold last year (and again this year, with theros packs) make for some really good storage:
188497_10151242998234803_1090746774_n.jpg

That's a 540 card cube (right and center), 175 lands (Center), 3 EDH decks and a standard deck (left)
Not bad for 20$ CAD, though the lid is a little fragile, so it doesn't travel too too well

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Man, I had no idea Holiday Gift Boxes were so large. I'd just assumed they were Fat Pack sized. That seems perfect for cube storage.

What else do you get in there? Not sure if I'm up for spending $20 on a box, but I suppose if they give you a huge pile of basics...

I use Ultra Pro Perfect Fits and Dragon Shields and I'm very happy with both. I can not express enough how much I like Ultra-Pro as a company. I got some mis-cut Perfect Fits, wrote to them about it, a week later a package shows up with 2 deck boxes, 4 packages of Perfect Fits, and 2oo sleeves.

I use Ultra Pro Perfect Fits and Dragon Shields
This is also my setup. I've had the shields for almost two years and only recently have the dings and scratches become commonplace/bad enough enough for me to consider resleeving.

I used one of these, which set me back a whopping $2, for a long time
41CuXicGN5L.jpg

But switched to the holiday box when a friend picked one up last year and discovered he didn't need the physical box after all. The cards physically poking up over the edge like a fat pack's lower half is great, but at the same time I've gotten a little worried about the way the lid has been warping mildly that one day some moron will apply a little too much force and it'll crush/bend cards.

To anyone wondering about the holiday box's size, it can hold around 900 double-sleeved cards, plenty of room for 2 rows holding a 540 cube and the third row for lands, dice etc. The only problem I have with it is the lands will always be in the box; with my previous box I could have a fat pack bottom holding the lands that could be removed.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I have a cool black wooden box I bought in a thrift shop. The inside is felt and it fits the cube perfectly. Also it's a black box, so even though I don't understand how it works I know that it will tell me why the plane crashed every time under the right preconditions.

Alright, it's been a year. Time to dust off this thread with this monstrosity
product_extra_99.jpg
product_3115.jpg

HI-RES HERE

Adorable, but hardly worth the $90 MSRP

P.S. My RTR holiday box is falling apart and the newer ones are crap in comparison. What do

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
If anyone picks that bad boy up, I'd be really interested to know whether they feel it justifies its $90 price tag.

Speaking of holiday gift boxes, I've heard that those are the best budget solution for carrying a cube around - better than my $1 white cardboard 'shoebox', anyways. Is that no longer the case...?

Penny sleeves are great. If one of them fails me, replacing it will cost almost nothing.

People who don't normally use sleeves complain that it's hard to shuffle, but I teach em quick.

If anyone picks that bad boy up, I'd be really interested to know whether they feel it justifies its $90 price tag.

Speaking of holiday gift boxes, I've heard that those are the best budget solution for carrying a cube around - better than my $1 white cardboard 'shoebox', anyways. Is that no longer the case...?

Yeah, gift boxes seem like a great budget alternative. I have a few friends that use a few from a while back, like RTR. The more recent boxes aren't as sturdy imo

For $90, better be made of titanium. If you're looking to shell out some cash for a box, I ordered a custom wooden one a few months back for the Cube that I posted about here. I think it ended up costing somewhere between $60-70 at the end (including shipping), but that's with a custom engraving. It's sturdy, high quality, dimensions are made specifically for MTG card storage, and it looks super sweet. Can easily fit like 450ish cards double-sleeved, 150ish lands double-sleeved, and like 100 tokens. It's fantastic:

2014-09-30_12-49-51_202_zps1d89fda3.jpg

2014-09-30_12-50-25_728_zpsb64595c0.jpg
Here's the link in case anyone's interested: http://designcraftindustries.com/collections/playing-card-boxes

The guys who make these boxes are super responsive, quick with emails regarding anything special you wanna add. Dimensions, custom engraving, etc. They were great.

Probably the best cube purchase I've made, I'll be using this box forever.

New to posting on these forums, but a long-time lurker!

I use Dragonshields (in yellow), but I don't use PerfectFits. I use the classic white shoebox for my Peasant Cube and a fatpack box for the lands and tokens.

But as a word of caution, the yellow Dragonshields are more transparent than I'm comfortable with and I'm in the process of switching them to another color. Still love the Dragonshield strength of the sleeves (two years running strong), but you notice that flip cards are showing up and that's lame. Haven't had any real issues with gameplay personally, but I'm sure some of the more Spike-y types use it to their advantage.

For sleeves, I double-sleeve my Cube with KMC Perfect Fits and Red D-Shields. Not a single split to this point. Might get a little grimy with some dirt, but you can scratch it off easily. I don't think I'd use another sleeve combo ever, it's too sturdy and reliable. Cards feel really well-protected. I'd much rather pay a little more upfront for sleeves that will last a long time than have to go through a couple every few months.

I can attest to the quality of the DesignCraft boxes. Mine was $80 including shipping.

v33wHTJ.jpg

gHOymsn.jpg

I use KMC perfects and just switched from KMC mattes to KMC hyper mattes. Also, don't forget if you're bulk ordering sleeves that it's cheapest at potomacdist.com

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hmm... I've been considering KMC perfect fits since a near accident with spilled water. Right now I use pink Dragonshields only. Maybe I should shell out for better protection, I'ld hate for something bad to happen to them cards.

A friend of mine lost a good deal of his shoebox collection of cards to spilled water some time after I convinced him laminating cards wasn't the way to protect them, and he should use sleeves instead. Guess which part of his collection survived... I felt bad for him, but honestly, that laminated Primeval Titan really hurt the eyes. I guess the moral of the story is, be really careful with liquids around your Magic cards!

Laminating cards - that means either heating them up, or putting sticky stuff on them, right? I guess if you never plan to sell them... does he laminate them religiously now because you failed him?