General Custom Cards: The Lab

I hate that four of the legends check for five creatures of their color, but Akroma is looking for creatures with flying. I also hate that four of these are 6/6, but Kamahl is an 8/8. There’s something viscerally upsetting to me about cycles that almost but not quite sync up :oops:
I made Akroma first and it supports WU Birds with that wording somewhat effectively, but I could probably even that up.
Alos, I feel like those frames combine the worst parts of old and new. They have that ugly black bottom but you still can't read white cards :p
The 7th Ed white frame in my CardConjurer is straight up wrong and abysmal. I could change the font color every time that I use it, but I find these frames pretty nice.
But on a more serious note, these creatures are busted. They would see print today, onviously, but still be kinda shocking, and they don't fit Onslaught with that power level imho. That being said, I love the tribal duals.
What about these do you find shocking?

Also, these aren't to add into Onslaught. They're at a power level that I feel could be straight to Modern, where I suspect they'd see no play.

Maybe the token should be RG? I can't really find art that fits this beastkeeper aesthetic, so I'd appreciate help there.

I think this gives access to a decent Beast deck without having to draft nearly as many 5+ drops. The cards are also generically good while still being lords. Of course, we already knew this from Splicers, but it seemed like a good idea once I saw the 3/3 token.

Tangela {2}{G}
Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, proliferate.
2/2 ?

How good is this card? In my Pokécube there are no pws, but lots of +1/+1 counters, mostly in temur, -1/-1 counters in jund and energy in grixis.

Would it be as good, better or still weaker as that card (Evolution Sage) if Tangela was a 0/0 that entered with two +1/+1 counters?
Also depends a bit on your format. If your cube has a low curve it's much easier to double spell than if it's more like retail limited (used to be ;) ). I really like double spelling as an incentive. If it's a 0/0 with counters, I think it would be up there with Clarion Spirit as one of the more powerful payoffs.

I like the idea of it being a payoff as well as a self-contained growing threat. Could start as a 1/1 if you're worried about it.

Last edited:
I fricking love the tribal lands by the way, such good signposts!
Another example of WotC improving at tribal design. Such an improvement for the wording of Fortified Beachhead over something like Auntie's Hovel.
I think I like all your arts except for the gold card. Maybe this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Poster-Foundry-Merchandise-Collectibles-Varinsdottir/dp/B093395ZTD
That one's decent. I could use even more, as I'd like to add a couple more of these guys.

Maybe I should instead join Ravnic on the old Poke cube. That one already has the art sourced, at least. My heart is with Onslaught right now, though...

I hate that four of the legends check for five creatures of their color, but Akroma is looking for creatures with flying.

I didn't like this either, as well as the fact that Akroma doesn't actually care about other creatures with flying in play. It would need a bigger redesign than maybe you'd like, but having these all look for a particular keyword and then be keyword lords (or some other factor, like Kamahl asks for and supports land creatures) would be a cool thing to explore.

On a lore note, you used Indrix because Rorix is dead, but Phage isn't around either, right? It also feels slightly weird to me to have 2 of the 5 be from the pit fighter legends and the others not, I'd probably have Ixidor in the blue slot, although I guess there's not really another good red option, huh.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
On a lore note, you used Indrix because Rorix is dead, but Phage isn't around either, right? It also feels slightly weird to me to have 2 of the 5 be from the pit fighter legends and the others not, I'd probably have Ixidor in the blue slot, although I guess there's not really another good red option, huh.
You could make it a revisit / alternate universe thing.

Need a GW and GU land idea. I have some ideas that are ok, but don't wanna put 'em out there and influence any potential advice.
WU Birds
UB Zombies
BR Goblins
RG Beasts
GW ---
WB Clerics
UR Wizards
BG Elves
RW Soldiers
GU ---
GU could be Mutant. The type is found in all colours of ONS creature, but I tend to think of mutants as Simic.

GW could be cats? There isn’t much creature type overlap in ONS between G and W. Druids sometimes occur in white, but not in ONS.

What about taking a race/class approach?

Wasn't there some Mystery Booster card or something that let you choose two colors before the game began and you were, like, Guildbound to those colors or something? I remember a card like that, but can't find it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Wasn't there some Mystery Booster card or something that let you choose two colors before the game began and you were, like, Guildbound to those colors or something? I remember a card like that, but can't find it.
The only cards that come to mind are The Prismatic Piper, Clara Oswald and Faceless One. Restricting yourself to certain colors is a Commander thing, and I don’t think it exists outside of that format?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
@Brad

You are probably not thinking of the Mystery Booster cards but Gavin Verhey’s Unknown Events cards.

Here is a link to the list of them:

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Unknown_Event

Please note that you can switch on a tap between editions to find all the cards.
Yeah, that's it! Brad surely is looking for the pledge keyword! These cards aren't up on Scryfall, it seems.

Pledge (Join a two-colored guild if you haven't already this game.)