General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It was a joke :)
That may be so, but since the discussion was about the reminder text of "protection from spells", and whether the "can't be blocked by ..." part should or should not be included, I thought I'ld chip in, since adding "can't be blocked by spells" to the flavor text is incredibly misleading when in fact all spells that block creatures can block creatures with protection from spells as long as they don't need to target that creature to block it (because protection from spells still means it can't be targeted by spells of course). Better safe then sorry ;)

That may be so, but since the discussion was about the reminder text of "protection from spells", and whether the "can't be blocked by ..." part should or should not be included, I thought I'ld chip in, since adding "can't be blocked by spells" to the flavor text is incredibly misleading when in fact all spells that block creatures can block creatures with protection from spells as long as they don't need to target that creature to block it (because protection from spells still means it can't be targeted by spells of course). Better safe then sorry ;)

Agreed. Same reason I took out the enchantment part.

So how relevant is the difference between this and hexproof? Pyroclasm, Wildfire, ...?
edit: should have said shroud, which is more similar

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think they play very differently. A short list of cards that work differently for protection from spells and abilities than from he proof.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That can get out of hand quickly! I think {2}{R}{R} for a 2/2 and a 4/4 with flying is a bit too much, no? I think I would up the activation cost of the ability all the way to {2}{R}{R}. You've got a nice progression from Jeska at three mana to making a dragon at four mana on the next turn, and once she untaps you're getting really ahead on the board. 4/4 flyers are pretty good in limited!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Still looking for some sweet custom basic land cyclers in Orzhov and Gruul colors... Since I'm also looking for an interesting enrage card in Gruul, maybe I can combine them? Do these look exciting to play?

Roaring Chlorodon.jpg Search the Lost Legion.jpg

3/4 is probably way too much if I want to include stuff like Pyrohemia, right? Is it still exciting at 4/2 though?

I really really like Search the Lost Legion. Maybe it should get CMC 3 or less guys? Or do that 'with combined CMC of no more than Z' templating. Maybe...7?

I really really like Search the Lost Legion. Maybe it should get CMC 3 or less guys? Or do that 'with combined CMC of no more than Z' templating. Maybe...7?

It is combined (total). I agree, the number is probably a bit low.

Where can I download that pic so I can fix it!?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm okay with it getting a single 4 cmc card. When looking for the right wording, I stumbled upon March from the Tomb, which, believe it or not, was not the inspiration for my card. Instead I was wondering if I could crossbreed Unearth and Protean Hulk :) Search the Lost Legion can reanimate any creature and is a mana cheaper, but maybe 5 is okay? At the same time it's easy to increase its power if 4 proves to be too weak, and getting back a 2 drop and a 3 drop for four mana seems preeeeeeetty good.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, that looks perfectly fine! I do have the basic landcycling to take into consideration as well though. On the other hand, at 5 it is a perfect reanimation tool for aggro, which doesn't use the basic landcycling much I'ld presume, and an acceptable tool for control, which would love the basic landcycling. Ok, sold, I am going to try it at 5. It is a multicolored Zombify anyway if you're going to return a 5 drop, so four mana can not be too cheap for that.

Oh weird I somehow totally missed the landcycling. I would like to get that worked into my cube, but I don't think this would be the place for me.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The joke is great :D, but the card is awful for your opponent in combination with a discard outlet. Once you're ahead, just keep discarding your draw for the turn to your Psychatog or whatever in their draw step.

Edit: Then again, is it less miserable than Consecrated Sphinx? At least this executes a quick and merciful kill! ;)

I love mind games. However I do think it’s going to be pretty difficult to guess the card.

Overall super agree with Ondezeeboot.