Danodan's Cube [450]

Hello everyone, here is my cube http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/33166

I'm still looking for a few ways to improve my cube, I cut down the power level a bit to make room for some more synergy-based decks to be drafted.
Currently I'm supporting these synergies/archetypes:

Artifacts in basically every colour except for green, at the moment it does not feel too poisonous, decks often shape out to be like Grixis Midrange/Control with some artifact synergies etc.

Black has the well-known recursive aggro shell.

Currently Blue and Black have the tools to build a powerful reanimator deck, but a lot of the times "regular" decks tend to pick up a reanimate or two just for value.

Green has a Birthing Pod theme.

In basically all the colours I'm supporting tokens/going wide of some sort, to be able to build Aristocrats/Smokestack/Goblin Bombardement/Blasting Station type decks. I'm not sure if I'm supporting it too much or if the boundaries of this archetype are not too clear for drafters.

I want it to be possible for aggro decks to be able to exist in basically every colour pair except green, green decks mostly tend to be ramp/pod/creaturevalue decks.

To update the cube I'd like the following:

To be able to do more with lands, at the moment I have a little synergy with Life From The Loam and Molten Vortex, along with Knight Of The Reliquary and a Utility Land Draft but it's probably not focused enough.

The lifegain lands should be replaced by a different land cycle (the boros garrison is a proxy for Arid Mesa, which I do not have yet), but I do not know which one yet (perhaps the manlands when we have 10 of them).

Should this cube support a Wildfire deck, at the moment nobody has built a real Wildfire deck yet. Perhaps the support isn't there and the deck isn't focussed enough.

Since I have a real difficult time in dealing with green, since just ramp/valuecreatures doesn't seem too synergystic/interesting, I'd like to build in a graveyard matters theme, which should bleed into other colours (probably most in black and blue) such that you can also build Green Black based reanimator decks or just midrange green decks with graveyard interaction. At the moment I am not sure how I should include this so I don't have a real list of cards for this archetype yet.

Also, the two naturalizes in green are placeholders at the moment, I just wanted the cube to be 450 cards, but I do not have a clue yet what these cards should be.

Furthermore, all critique and feedback is welcome. Thanks a lot for reading! :)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Thoughts: have you cubed with this build yet? From your description it sounds like it might not have a lot of playtesting behind it. That's totally fine, but it may answer some of your questions, especially regarding if tokens are too much. At a glance that theme doesn't look too over the top, but I know many have soured on the likes of Cloudgoat Ranger, Seigegang and Degranged Hermit. They really clog the board and can create some grindy drawn-out games, which I personally don't find desirable.

Even if you don't support it with a great density, I think a splash of aggressive cards in Green goes a long way. A Rancor here, Experiment One there, that sort of thing. It takes very few cards to support and opens up a lot of deckbuilding space.

That looks pretty nice, I'm not sure how much I like Opposition in this deck but it definitely seems like a powerful deck. Any ideas on how I could improve my cube given my first post?

UB Dimir Artifacts - japahn's draft of Danny's Cube V2 on 05/12/2015 from CubeTutor.com

Just came back to get that Batterskull =P

Some feedback about the artifacts deck:
  • With the level of brokeness of the rest of the cards, I think you should run Cranial Plating and possibly Arcbound Ravager. Plating is decent with just 1 extra artifact in play, and great with 2+ others, so even if no one drafts a dedicated artifact deck it's a good equipment for decks with evasion. In general, I missed payoff for playing a lot of artifacts.
  • The 3-mana artifact slot has a bunch of ramp and synergy cards, but there is a hole in the artifact deck there. A lot of sweet stuff at 2 mana but few good cards at 3.

Thanks a lot japahn, those cards sound like a great idea! Although its not helping filling the gap at 3, sweet deck by the way!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thanks a lot japahn, those cards sound like a great idea! Although its not helping filling the gap at 3, sweet deck by the way!

You should run my custom Cogwork Librarian, it'an awesome card at {3} and with changeling. Or Metalworker maybe, if you're okay with occasional ridiculousness :) I got one in my binder even if you want to acquire one. Grand Architect is also a great {3} for the artifact deck!

WBg Armageddon from CubeTutor.com

Also, this looks like a mean deck! A little light on humans unfortunately. I misclicked and accidently picked a Vines of Vastwood instead of a Kytheon. Just imagine one human more, instead of a 3-drop. So... Any Wastelands in your Utility Land Draft?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Did another one which looks awesome!

BGw Smokestack Elves from CubeTutor.com

I was kinda sad I picked up two Gravecrawlers but no other zombies. I remember seeing a Curse of Shallow Graves, but not much else. I checked, and you play as many zombie as I do, so there should be enough. The problem is probably that half of the zombies you run are the 3 Carrion Crawlers and 4 Gravecrawlers, all 1 drops, of which you only want to run so many. To me this feels a bit forced. Maybe running 2 Bloodsoaked Champion instead of the 4 Gravecrawlers is an idea? That lets you dial back a bit on the zombie theme.

Thanks a lot everyone for all the drafts you have done, a lot of decks look very sweet to play with and I'm looking forward to actually playing with this cube. As you might have noticed I changed a few cards to support a graveyard based deck around Sultai colours and we'll see how that pans out. And yes I know those are a lot of 1drop zombies, but there has to be a payoff for the recursive black aggro deck while these Gravecrawlers can also be used in other agressive decks while the Bloodsoaked Champion does not fit into the zombie themed deck a lot. I've noticed that if you cannot bring back the Gravecrawlers often enough they become pretty mediocre. Perhaps with a bit of more testing I might change the numbers.