Do Us A Favour! Please Turn Off AdBlock

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
So we're giving advertising a second go on the site, because hey, there are bills that need to be paid. Yeah, they'll uglify the currently-quite-pretty forum templates a bit, but that's kinda the price we gotta pay.

If you're a regular here, or even if you're just a lurker who has benefited from reading the content on this site, Jason and I would like to ask you for a favour - please turn off any ad blockers or flash blockers you have when visiting this site (i.e., whitelist us). That should give the ad counters a more accurate portrayal of our page impressions, and more importantly, you'll be helping keep this site chugging along for years to come.

Thanks, guys.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hey, I get appropriate adverts! magiccardmarket.eu is one of my favorite sites, and certainly one of the sites where I spent the most digital money (together with amazon and steam probably).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, I'm now looking at an add for TypeTopia, a gamefied typing course. The last (blind) typing test I did (for a recruitment agency) I was too quick for the test because it was calibrated for non-IT personel. I don't think I need that typing course :D

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
These ads know what I'm in the market for! A replacement!
FuxqQwU.png

I swear, if I see one ugly Vietnamese wife there...

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I feel like these ads know me a little too well. At work, I get ads for Codeship - Deploy your projects on Heroku! At home, I get text ads asking Do You Play Magic. Uh, why, yes I do NOW STOP FOLLOWING ME

So. I think ads are kinda gross. Esp animated ones. But I'll survive. Also, I can't imagine they actually help with costs.

However, I came here to say something potentially constructive. Today I moved my website to save on hosting costs. I googled "free php hosting" and eventually found my way to the top advertised result, https://www.openshift.com/. I started checking it out and realized a few minutes in that this place was legit. I give them only my email, no credit card and a few hours later my site is fully migrated to a free host. I can't guarantee it's going to be up tomorrow (chances are good, it's redhat), but setup experience was rather pleasant.

I also want to take the opportunity to say riptide is really quality stuff.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Whatever urban legends you may have heard, you can set them aside and rest assured that advertising does indeed help us recoup our costs. At our current trajectory, we'll be out of the red in the foreseeable future!

When it comes down to it, there are really only two ways to go about recouping costs when running a content-driven website: donations / subscriptions, or advertising. We feel a little uncomfortable holding out our hands and asking for money, and we don't feel like we have any kind of premium content to offer to subscribers. That leaves advertising, which is the same approach that various other forum-driven sites have also chosen. If the animated ads really bother you, you're free to block them with one of the many available browser-based add-ons. However, we would hope that in return for the cube-building advice you've picked up on this site over the last year and a bit, you could grit your teeth and stomach a couple of ad banners when you visit. Again, contrary to what people have been led to believe, ads actually can help.

Thanks for the tip on that PHP hosting service. With our current level of traffic, their free hosting option might be insufficient, but we'll keep them in mind the next time our hosting comes up for renewal. Let me know in a PM how your experience with them goes.

I'm running both adblock and flashblocker, and I assumes that if they are blocked by flashblocker, they don't generate any revenue either?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
OH GREAT JUST BLOCK ALL OUR ADS WHY DON'T YOU JONAS

Yeah, you'd have to whitelist us on both of those add-ons.

But again, please let me emphasize I don't want to force anyone to do so. If you're uncomfortable with large, scrolling flash ad banners, by all means continue to block them. We're just asking you to unblock them as a favour to us - and only if you feel it's worth your while.

Whatever urban legends you may have heard, you can set them aside and rest assured that advertising does indeed help us recoup our costs. At our current trajectory, we'll be out of the red in the foreseeable future!

When it comes down to it, there are really only two ways to go about recouping costs when running a content-driven website: donations / subscriptions, or advertising. We feel a little uncomfortable holding out our hands and asking for money, and we don't feel like we have any kind of premium content to offer to subscribers. That leaves advertising, which is the same approach that various other forum-driven sites have also chosen. If the animated ads really bother you, you're free to block them with one of the many available browser-based add-ons. However, we would hope that in return for the cube-building advice you've picked up on this site over the last year and a bit, you could grit your teeth and stomach a couple of ad banners when you visit. Again, contrary to what people have been led to believe, ads actually can help.

Thanks for the tip on that PHP hosting service. With our current level of traffic, their free hosting option might be insufficient, but we'll keep them in mind the next time our hosting comes up for renewal. Let me know in a PM how your experience with them goes.

I just remember looking into for my site and determined it wasn't worth it. Glad its working out for you guys. The ads are worth the quality riptide content.

I have NoScript disabled on this page, but still don't see ads. That leaves me thinking Disconnect is blocking the ads because the ads use tracking cookies?