Dour News

Chris Taylor

Contributor
As much as I'd like to say I'd been staring at the empty text field past the "create thread" button, but that isn't really how I write. I tend to just start typing and edit if I find something really backward.

While he hasn't been on these forums in a while, Lucas Childs, known here as Lucre spent a lot of time here at the beginning. He loved cycling, he had a strong grasp of limited and (A man after my own heart) always thought individual cards could always benefit from some additional text here and there.

Lucas Childs passed away recently. I don't know the details, and I'm not sure the family would want me to tell them even if I did, but what I do know is that I should let you guys know.

I'm pretty sure that's not the eulogy he deserves, but if even part of what his death inspires is modal spells and cycling cards I think he'd be happy with that.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Oh Chris, that's awful. I met him once years ago and I really liked him. He and his friends were kinda wild, they were really fun. We didn't talk much since then, but I always figured I'd see him again one day somewhere. Or at least catch up a bit online....
Very sad, he was far too young.

Holy shit. I'm blown away by this awful news. I've met Lulu a few times and every time we've clicked immediately. One of the most fun, lowest-pressure relationships I've ever had. We used to text each other custom card designs all the time. We could talk Magic, politics, or arts and culture into the wee hours of the night. I called him a few times when I was overseas and the time zones lined up and it was always the highlight of my day.

I'm coming to Toronto for Christmas, and some time this week I was going to send him a facebook message arranging a time to hang out. I'm...floored, I guess. I don't know what to say, which memories to recall, how to remember him best.

What the fuck.

This is horrible.

Gone too young.

Lucre was a little before my time, but it's always tragic to hear news like this....even more so for someone young. I lost a close friend last year to depression, and we were all at a loss for words. Just fucking hurts and sucks.

Wow. This is awful news. Thank you for letting us know Chris.

Always so hard to convey in words how something like this effects us. My heart goes out to his family and those in the community who were close to him.

EDIT: I just looked back in my inbox and found an exchange I had with Lucre in 2014. I don't remember the exact events surrounding it, but it had something to do with a heated exchange in the forum. He was really nice, offering encouragement to me and we threw a couple ideas around. Lucas had a good heart.

I don't know why I felt moved to do this, but I was. A tribute in a language he spoke, I guess. I think he would like the card.

Departed Designer {2}{W}
When ~ETBs, create a 1/1 flying Spirit.
First Strike
Threshold -- if ~ is in your graveyard, at the beginning of your upkeep, create a 1/1 flying Spirit.
Cycling {2}{W}
3/1

Gone, but never forgotten.

I don't know. It feels so hollow and facile. He was a good and multifaceted man.

For some reason, it feels painfully inappropriate to like posts in this thread. "So and so died... (ahadabans and 5 others like this)"

But I think it's good that people are posting and remembering him.

I don't know why I felt moved to do this, but I was. A tribute in a language he spoke, I guess. I think he would like the card.

Departed Designer {2}{W}
When ~ETBs, create a 1/1 flying Spirit.
First Strike
Threshold -- if ~ is in your graveyard, at the beginning of your upkeep, create a 1/1 flying Spirit.
Cycling {2}{W}
3/1

Gone, but never forgotten.

I don't know. It feels so hollow and facile. He was a good and multifaceted man.

This legit made me tear up.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that's awful. Lucas was always so full of passion and creativity, and I heard nothing but good things from forum members who had met him in person.

This is completely fucking horrible. :(

I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but his personality on here was so real that I'd always hoped I would someday. He was one of my favorite members of this community.

:(

Terrible, terrible news. I wish those around him strength and love to get through this hard time. Though I didn't know him personally, I always admired his zeal for the game, and his interactions with a thread always stood out and made an impression. He was never verbose just for the sake of it; he expressed clean, strong opinions, but at the same time, never seemed to forget that he was just bickering on a forum about a card game, and carried a good measure of humor about him as a result. I liked him a good deal.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Update, there is a memorial being held in Toronto on Sunday.

Toronto people, Eric maybe, message me if you want details

CML

Contributor
Whoa what the fuck. I'll miss having one extra person calling me out on my more ill-conceived Facebook posts ...

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
He was also a little before my time. But his posts were filled a lot of passion.
What I remember most of all though about him is this for some reason:
(Go to the end; 12m 34s)
Gives people who have never met him in person (such as I) a glimpse into his personality. All the top comments on the video were that there needs to be more Lucas in future videos.

You will be missed man.