Site News How to participate in a RiptideLab Draft

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
So you've decided to join a RiptideLab draft! Thanks for being a part of our community. Here's what you do next.

Joining the Draft-----------------------------------------

1) Join the Skype group - if you're not a member, post in this thread and one of the members will add you.

2) Click on the draft.wtf link. The host will paste a link into the Skype group, click on it.

3) Get through the ads - draft.wtf uses ads. You have to look at them for 5 seconds before continuing. In chrome I had to click the "Stay on this Page" button.

KWzqZNW.png

After 5 seconds, click on this button in the top right corner.

Dx5eEX0.png

4) Change your nickname - In the draft.wtf chat window, change your nickname with a command like this:

bOoJCDw.png

Drafting----------------------------------------------------

Once the host launches the draft, you'll see something like this:
eZdAdMQ.jpg

1) Draft - try not to suck.

2) Copy your list - When you have drafted all your cards, click on the copy list button, as seen here:
OD6GbNU.png

Just copy all 45 cards. Don't add basic lands or remove cards or anything like that. Copy the list into a text file. If you are the nervous type, feel free to keep the draft.wtf tab open as long as you like.

Utility Land Draft----------------------------------------------------

1) Draft your utility lands here.

2) Update text file. Next, add your drafted lands to the bottom of your text file.

RG8Kcru.png

Cloudshift your List--------------------------------------------

1) Go to Cloudshift.

2) Paste your list in the top-right box. Click submit.
qFG8JWB.png

3) Copy the output into notepad (or some other editor, NOT Excel) and save it as "deckname.csv". SAVE IT AS A CSV! Comma-separated value!

86trJi2.png

4) Email the file to the host with title "Draft Deck - YourMtgoName" (or post it as an attachment to the Skype group.... host will give instructions)

Trade with the host----------------------------------------------------

1) The host will initiate a trade with you. Accept.

2) Confirm that this is your deck, then take all the cards. To take them all, click on a card, hit Ctrl+A, then drag the cards into the lower-left section of the window.

Play your matches------------------------------------------------------

1) Check the Skype chat for instructions on who to play

Return the cards--------------------------------------------------------

1) When you are done with your matches, take your file "deckname.csv" and import it as a trade binder.

Ve4d2gk.png

9lu0PV0.png

Make it your active trade binder and click okay.

8YFBifU.png

2) Initiate a trade with the RiptideLab MTGO account. The host will take all the cards back. Make sure this is the correct amount of cards (usually 49 cards, unless you drafted artifact utility lands).

Do whatever you want

If you could, please post your deck and your record on the forums. I use these decklists for testing new cards and archetypes, and the more decks we have, the better testing we can do.

Thank you!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Did we have a discussion on how to host drafts. I just bought the remaining cards for my cube online (like $12 for the rest of the cube it was great) and MODO is driving me crazy.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
So, here is my status on trying to reverse engineer this.

1. You can't upload a cube list export from cube tutor to modo
2. You might have to manually create a trade binder with the cube in it set to active?
3. The twitch tutorial explains how to list your collection in cloudshift (its at the end of the video).
4. But the file defaults to Jason's list whenever you open it, and I have no idea if it saves when I paste my list to it.
5. I'm not sure exactly what happens after that, as far as trading goes.

Also, its been a week since I drafted with Kirblinx, and I just now discovered I have a copy of one of his boros garrisons. There has to be a better way to do the trade back? This makes me a little nervous to do this with a list worth obvious $$$

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So, here is my status on trying to reverse engineer this.

1. You can't upload a cube list export from cube tutor to modo
2. You might have to manually create a trade binder with the cube in it set to active?
3. The twitch tutorial explains how to list your collection in cloudshift (its at the end of the video).
4. But the file defaults to Jason's list whenever you open it, and I have no idea if it saves when I paste my list to it.
5. I'm not sure exactly what happens after that, as far as trading goes.

Also, its been a week since I drafted with Kirblinx, and I just now discovered I have a copy of one of his boros garrisons. There has to be a better way to do the trade back? This makes me a little nervous to do this with a list worth obvious $$$

1. No, it is rather painful too. You can either add a 1 to every line on the text file, or you can do what I did and pass it through another program (I used tappedout.net. Copy and pasted the text. Then exported it to MTGO).
  2. I create a binder everytime I do a grid draft, as when you trade they go out of your binder. I just have a textfile sitting on my computer to import it isn't a big hassle.
  3. It would require Aoret to set up a drop down box or something to have options to multiple cubes, at this point it is always defaulted to Jason's. I feel the pastebin I used in my drafts was a good enough method of passing the right data to the 'receiver'. The only hard part is trying to describe where they should paste what.
  4. Answered above
  5. The trading process I am still trying to figure out a right way of doing it. My previous method was to record the number of cards given out (still a good idea), import the cube as a wishlist (as the cards taken out should be on there) then trade back.
The only problem with this is that if you have any duplicates it will not register them on your wishlist (Say you own 4 Evolving Wilds, when you trade one away it still registers that there is 1 in the penny pincher cube, as you still have more than 1).
The only way I can think to remedy this is to have a deck/list that is your entire collection. Then when you add that to the wishlist it will add everything that you had given away in your previous trade. While this works great for grid drafts (only one person), I am not sure how well this would go for an 8-man.
This is because you wishlist will be more than what you traded to an individual person, so you may be trying to steal cards that you had given to a different person.

Then there is the way that I believe Jason has been doing where you get a decklist from the person you are giving the cards to. This also suffers form the wishlist duplicate problem.

The best method is for the receiver to import their deck as a binder and just make it all available. Sure there won't be any wishlist back on the senders side, but he should be able to just select all and trade back.

I hope that all made sense. I can post some screenshots or something if you want it in something that is easier to grok.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
No, that makes sense. I had forgotten the paste bin step, which is where I was getting stuck. Now, I'm at the same point you are, trying to make the trading less painful. On the plus side, since I own all the cards now, if you want to grid draft there won't be any trading involved.

I suppose its also worth mentioning that to get the grid draft generation, you have two options:

1. Shuffle up and grid draft out your cube.
2. Become a cube tutor champion.

Also, since rough // tumble keeps on coming up in our drafts, that is how you forum code split cards.

No, it is rather painful too. You can either add a 1 to every line on the text file, or you can do what I did and pass it through another program (I used tappedout.net. Copy and pasted the text. Then exported it to MTGO).
  1. I create a binder everytime I do a grid draft, as when you trade they go out of your binder. I just have a textfile sitting on my computer to import it isn't a big hassle.
  2. It would require Aoret to set up a drop down box or something to have options to multiple cubes, at this point it is always defaulted to Jason's. I feel the pastebin I used in my drafts was a good enough method of passing the right data to the 'receiver'. The only hard part is trying to describe where they should paste what.
  3. Answered above
  4. The trading process I am still trying to figure out a right way of doing it. My previous method was to record the number of cards given out (still a good idea), import the cube as a wishlist (as the cards taken out should be on there) then trade back.
I'm a smidge confused why these drafts are being done on MODO. For cockatrice, there's no trade/cloudshift/return step. If Dom goes to sleep, that doesn't leave the next set of drafters missing cards. You just draft, and then play. You can even have multiple people using the same cards at once! Better yet, you can test out cards you don't own yet, to see whether you should pull the trigger on your next shopping trip.

I'm using my NewPlayerPoints to practice drafting/playing so that I can have the hang of this for a future MODO draft, but it seems like cube owners are going to a lot of extra effort/risk with negligible benefit. Automatic rules adjudication I guess? But that automation messes up even experienced players from time to time, whereas IRL/cockatrice people would never assume that you want to pass priority after activating your Crypt Rats once and let it die.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
So, it would seem that you just can't import a binder and convert it into a wishlist, and have to manually recreate the cube in the wishlist folder, than export it in the various formats? Is this correct?

I was also wondering how you, the host, build your decks. Are you just going through the same conversion process as the guest player, and dropping it under the freeform section? I noticed in the grid drafts we did, you showed just the deck, not the sb, which makes me wonder if you were doing something different.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
No, that makes sense. I had forgotten the paste bin step, which is where I was getting stuck. Now, I'm at the same point you are, trying to make the trading less painful. On the plus side, since I own all the cards now, if you want to grid draft there won't be any trading involved.

I suppose its also worth mentioning that to get the grid draft generation, you have two options:

1. Shuffle up and grid draft out your cube.
2. Become a cube tutor champion.

Also, since rough // tumble keeps on coming up in our drafts, that is how you forum code split cards.

This step actually happens in R for me. I have code to do all sorts of tedious tasks like create the grid draft forum code, convert the list to a list that can be imported to MODO, sample the poly cube, etc.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
So, it would seem that you just can't import a binder and convert it into a wishlist, and have to manually recreate the cube in the wishlist folder, than export it in the various formats? Is this correct?

I was also wondering how you, the host, build your decks. Are you just going through the same conversion process as the guest player, and dropping it under the freeform section? I noticed in the grid drafts we did, you showed just the deck, not the sb, which makes me wonder if you were doing something different.

As the host you don't actually need to use cloudshift for your own stuff. If you add a decklist to your own MODO account it figures out which versions are available.

Basically, you create a trade binder for each player you trade cards with (they send you the cloudshift output).

Hi, I would love to be apart of these cube drafts if you guys are still looking for people. My Skype is alnastas