Site News How to participate in a RiptideLab Draft

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So doing a bit of a bump on this, as we have a MTGO account with cards that aren't being used. Plus it would be nice if our community got some content made for the world to see.

This is obviously just a pipe dream at this stage, as when we tried this a couple of years ago we could never get any drafts to fire, due to MtGO's silly binder system, minimal forum goers and awkward time schedules so here is my possible solutions to these problems:

Discord
The best way to organise people would be to have them join the discord channel: https://discord.gg/jjzHz6g
It is easy to have open and not as painful as skype. We can post things as they happen and have a more real-time view of who is in and out instead of refreshing a forum.

Availability Spreadsheet
I am going to make a spreadsheet (have yet to do so) for people to post their availability over generic and specific weekends, as I feel weekends will be the best time to get multiple on at the same time. If this doesn't suit then someone mention some other more convenient times and I'll check it out.

MTGO
At this point, the first draft we will do will be Grillo's Penny Pincher 2.0, as all the cards for it were easy to get and is a new riptide staple at this point, so it needs to be played by the folks here.
I will be handling all the cards on the MTGO account.
Send through draft lists at the end of the draft to me and I will give out your card pool and you can have those cards until all games are done. So be nice, as this is mostly Jason's money and don't go running off with cards, I'll try and chase you down if you do.
We are using MTGO as the rules enforcement is the best there is out there (sadly) and it is the best client to share content for. Which is the end goal of this, to have recorded games of some of our best cubes in action. To help show what real cubing should be.

Matches
So since it takes a while to draft, I think the best way of playing games will be to do them over a couple of weeks. Swiss pairings, and you have a week to organise your game. This means we can even have a tournament structure with the possibility of a prize. So a draft will last over 3 weeks, and in that time we will figure out what next cube to draft (if the interest continues).

If anyone is keen then either post in this forum, or in the #draftchat discord subchannel. I'll soon get a spreadsheet up and running and hopefully we can get a draft going soon.

Any questions or better ideas to get people excited to draft or a possible reward system, then I am all for it... post away!

Which is the end goal of this, to have recorded games of some of our best cubes in action. To help show what real cubing should be.
Would there be interest in match report write-ups? My playgroup of 3 draft pretty frequently. It's not a full pod, but it means I spend a lot of time watching games. I could try recording the salient details and posting them here with decklists and records.​
Example from old Wizards coverage.​

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Would there be interest in match report write-ups? My playgroup of 3 draft pretty frequently. It's not a full pod, but it means I spend a lot of time watching games. I could try recording the salient details and posting them here with decklists and records.​
Example from old Wizards coverage.​

Some of us already do this over on our Cube Blogs. These are usually my favourite posts on the site and I throw them a like whenever I see them. I don't know if it is worth having a whole thread dedicated to match write ups, but since this thread gets more views than the cube blogs then maybe it is worth it?

Anyway, would love to see more match reports, so please post them. What thread I don't know, just SOMEWHERE :D

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So how about trying this weekend, on Saturday at let's say 21:00 (9pm) GMT?
Even if we get six, at least we can trial to see if everything still works (draft.wtf no longer exists, need to see how dr4ft.com works).

If you could throw a possible confirmation in this thread or the discord channel, it would be sweet, to know a day or two ahead if it is worth hanging around a computer at that time.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Let me talk to a few of my guys, and I might be able to pull in a few more for this.

I know its a giant pain hosting these. I'll review the procedure, but anything I can do to take some of the work off of your shoulders is fine by me.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I think we may get close to getting a draft to fire.
No one has said definitely, but these are all the people who have given some sort of indication they can/may come:
  1. Kirblinx
  2. Suicufnoc
  3. Grillo_Parlante
  4. Jonas
  5. Taamas
  6. McMenno
  7. Safra
If we do fire, I think the only person who would be streaming is Safra, if people wanted to check it out. Otherwise, expect me to have a youtube video up within the 24 hours of the draft.
Games will be done later, and may not even be completed, but at this point, I am just happy we have almost a full draft firing.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be up for it on another weekend. My girlfriend is hosting her colleagues at our house Saturday for dinner, so it's kind of a no-go for me doing anything else. Hope it fires though!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, that is fine. I'll still be up around that hour. Still want to do a trial run just to see how painful it all is.
Can just run bots for all the empty slots, do a couple of games and call the experiment complete.

We'll try again in a couple of weeks, unless people are keen to try next week, then we can do it then.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Oh I totally forgot about this... I might be down depending on how today turns out. I'll hop on discord later and see what's up.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So we didn't get a full draft, but it wasn't a complete failure. We had 5 forum goers come and a random was hanging around on dr4ft.com, so we had 6 humans and 2 bots.
The users were: Kirblinx, Safra, Taamas, Gozmit97, McMenno

We played a couple of games, I played against Gozmit and McMenno and they played against each other as well. I did record most of these, but there was a lot of dead air and wasn't really enjoyable to watch. I might try and edit them so they are more enjoyable and post them, or just do a write up or some screenshots in a couple of days. In the meantime here is was I drafted:

RB Trading Cloud Control:
Kt9R13H.png

The only thing I am going to say is that from the games I played, I am very lacking in the win condition department. Otherwise the deck was incredibly sweet.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Hey Kirb, I have two guys from my group that I should be able to get to play. Usually, we draft on Saterdays in the evening, so there was a little bit of a scheduling conflict. My plan is to move the draft, than take those 2 guys, have them DL MTGO, and have them draft.

If I have the date before hand, it should be no problem. This is going to be new for them, so I kind of want to have them get a little Modo under the belt, so everything isn't completly alien. Probably trade them some pauper decks so they can get used to those mechanics etc.

Anyways, I feel a little guilty about not being there, but on the plus side, getting these guys on Modo for something social should be really good for them, and the cube drafts are a great motivation.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Probably a bit late notice, but do people want to do a draft this Saturday, I guess at the same time (21:00 GMT)?

I would have done it next week but I am going to be away, so half a weeks notice or 2 and a half weeks notice. I only need to get cards back from one person (Gozmit) so it shouldn't be hard to do another draft.

So please post in here of the draftchat in the discord if you are keen or if you think 2.5 weeks time is better. Will be doing penny pincher again with Grillo's recent updates (GPG on the way out).

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Probably a bit late notice, but do people want to do a draft this Saturday, I guess at the same time (21:00 GMT)?

I would have done it next week but I am going to be away, so half a weeks notice or 2 and a half weeks notice. I only need to get cards back from one person (Gozmit) so it shouldn't be hard to do another draft.

So please post in here of the draftchat in the discord if you are keen or if you think 2.5 weeks time is better. Will be doing penny pincher again with Grillo's recent updates (GPG on the way out).
Reminder on the draft in ~11 hours. Had no one say anything so expecting I won't get many, but I'll still be there if someone shows up.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I'm going to talk to my players tonight, and see how many I can recruit. Its a little awkward because thats 10PM our time, but I might be able to get a couple. I'm thinking maybe 3 from my group, +you, that should give us a good base to plan around. I prob won't be able to get them to hop on tonight though, and we will have to plan for next week, or the week after.