Ink-Treader Cube (312)

Ink-Treader Cube LITE
Sideboard/Utility Card Pile

A miniature version of the Ink-Treader cube I initially assembled, this significantly shrunk list caters to a table of six or less drafters. Each pack is made up of 13 cards due to decreased color variance. This cube list also uses a Utility Card pile which is drafted one pick at a time after each booster pack.

Overview
Small 6-Player Cube
Utility Card Draft
Pack Size: 13
Color Imbalance Theme
Non-singleton

Like the four-colored Nephilim, the Inktreader Cube has a special relationship with the color Black--in that Black has a significantly smaller section in the list. Additionally, no basic swamps are supplied during deck-building, meaning to cast any Black spells, players must pick their black sources out of booster packs or out of the Utility Card pile.

The cube possesses heavy +1/+1 counter and enchantment themes, lending to a tempo-oriented "battle cruiser" format. There are also smaller themes across each of the Ink-Treader colored pairs. The list makes use of multiples of cards in order to enforce these themes as draft archetypes.

{W}{U}: Blink, Manifest, Fliers
{W}{G}: Enchantments, Tokens, +1/+1 Counters
{R}{G}: Lands, Fatties, Sacrifice
{U}{G}: Tempo, Proliferation, Fatties
{U}{R}: Spellsling, Blink, Artifact Tokens
{W}{R}: Artifact Tokens, Blink, Prowess

After each booster pack, players have the opportunity to draft one pick from the Utility Card pile. The pile is arranged the following way:

Concerns
How can I make Black more seductive?
How can I improve the Utility Card draft portion?
Are the color pairs deep enough?
Where can I strengthen/cut/introduce other themes?

The Why
The times my playgroup comes together for draft, we usually are only able to cobble together four or five players at a time. When this happens, the draft process can get awkward at times when whole chunks of a color go by undrafted. This cube attempts to remedy this by reducing the color variance per pack by shrinking a whole color all together.

Ink-Treader Cube

Named after the four-colored Nephilim in the Ravnica block, this cube puts a focus on drafting White, Blue, Red, and Green. Black is also present in this cube in a smaller amount. There is a condition attached to drafting it however, as no Basic Swamps will be provided at the end of the draft for deck building. This means that to draft black spells, you must also draft black sources. Additionally, as the black section is significantly smaller than the other colors, the packs shrink down from 15 to 13 to accommodate the reduced color variance in each pack. Aside from these points, drafting and deckbuilding rules remain the same.

This cube contains two major overarching themes in each color: Auras and +1/+1 counters. Hard removal has also been toned back with the average kill-spell sitting at 3 cmc. This lends to a "battle cruiser" format where board states have extra time to develop than some faster environments. Smaller themes present in the cube are prowess, blink, and morph. Evasive creatures also have a slight edge. A fourth of this cube (78~ cards) is made up of duplicates in order to push or support certain strategies. Cards run in doubles are as follows:

Additionally, each pair inside of the Ink-Treader colors run smaller unifying themes. Those guilds and their minor themes are as follows:

{W}{U}: Prowess, Awaken, Fliers
{W}{G}: Enchantments, +1/+1 Counters, Tokens
{R}{G}: +1/+1 Counters, Tokens, Fatties
{U}{G}: Landfall, Card Advantage Tempo
{U}{R}: Prowess, Colorless, Fliers
{W}{R}: Metalcraft Aggro, Tokens, +1/+1 Counters

My Goals
Maintain a lower-powered environment
Enforce black as splashable for higher quality disruption and bombs
Create a variance in despite shrinking down to four colors

Ink-Treader Cube

Hey guys. It's your favorite lurker. Remember in the beginning of August when we rez'd all those tribal threads? Classic.

The singleton 360 cube I've been maintaining has been growing stale when played among the four or five of us in my playgroup, so I've been crunching themes the past week to come up with something to bring back some of that deck exploration feel even when the drafter turn out is as low as it has been.

Schematics
312 Cards (24 Packs of 13)
4~8 Players
Unpowered Synergy format
Themed: Color Imbalance (Draft your swamps!)

Additional Restrictions
+1/+1 Counters and Charge Counters only. (No planeswalkers or wither/infect)
Modern Frame (cuz i r lozzer)
Wallet limit (HOW IS THIS ALREADY FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS)

Introduction
The Ink-Treader Cube is an attempt to add richness to a draft among fewer people. Born of frustrations from seeing chunks of green wheel around in every pack, this cube's theme was developed with the hope that placing emphasis on four colors rather than five will remedy the problem of a whole color going unpicked in a small draft. I haven't seen much of this theme explored in other cubes, so a lot of it has been throwing things at the wall and hoping something sticks.

While the use of the term "Ink-Treader" implies the absence of black, the theme is the reverse: the empowerment of black through its scarcity. I've attempted to sculpt the cube in a way where decks are built by unifying synergies over value cards. I've also taken cues from the recent limited formats to use synergistic-over-efficient removal as a means to dial the power level of the cube back. These aspects in conjunction with one another is what form the backbone of the cube.

If you haven't clicked the cube link, here it is again. The main gimmick of this cube is its black section. The cards are of significantly higher power level than the rest of the cube. It's already pain enough to stare down one pack rat in limited, but there are a whopping two floating around in cube! Well, this horrifying image is remedied by each player's need to draft their own black sources. Because of this, black has become a risky commodity to attempt to splash, since really, each spell you draft requires two picks. As a result, the more black drafters at the table, the much less effective that color will be. I was this close (pinch motion with fingers) to naming it the Avacyn Restored Cube.

Fixing may not be as good as certain fetch-crazy cubes in the lab, but it's still present in a decent volume which allow decks to explore the multiple themes across all four ink-treader colors. I should probably talk about those themes.

{W}{U}{R}: Prowess. This can be broken down further into metalcraft and spellsling strategies.
{W}{U}{G}: Enchantments and lands. This is a little more cobbled-together. Focus on Auras and maybe four cares-about-land enchantments.
{U}{R}{G}: Value beats? Get big and draw cards!
{W}{R}{G}: Counters. Proliferation and general bigness over time.

Of course, there's a little of each theme across all four colors, which is why I'm having so much difficulty defining them. That's actually one of my biggest concerns.

Concerns
Is this cube too mish-mashy? With fewer colors, themes become a little more diluted. Do sharper themes make for a more fun environment?
Chafftastic? This cube breaks singleton, but where is that choice unnecessary?
Is the theme just plain wrong? When I pitched the idea of a blackless cube, it came off a little racist, but does the reduced black really help this environment?

Thank you for taking the time to read through this post and contributing a couple drafts to it. I'll link you again because I reaaaaally care what you think.

Decks to try drafting: Five-Color Pod, Izzet Colorless, Temur Proliferate, Sultai Pack Rat, Boros Metalcraft, Bant Auras. Having missed out on RTR, I get really excited thinking of the prospect of drafting double Pack Rat.

-Sincerely, that one lurker guy.

I am not much more experienced than you as a Cube builder, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Necessary disclaimer :D

I think the idea is cool and very creative! I particularly like the fact that you chose black as your "scarce" colour: the Dark Arts are not for everybody! Black is also the colour of greed in Magic. It's very appropriate that only the greediest players will be willing to dip into black. Lovely.
I don't know if it makes for a better Cube, but I find it super flavourful.

I did a test draft and came up with a nice Temur +1/+1 counters deck (which I didn't save, for some reason).
My initial impressions are:

- well, CubeTutor might not be a good tool for testing this, because the AI does not know that you need to draft your swamps and this affects outcomes. Not that you can do anything about this, but it has to be taken into account for people like me who can only test draft your list there.

- I think your black cards need to be more powerful. It didn't feel like a sacrifice at all to avoid black cards. I think your black cards shouldn't be vanilla removal spells, but threats and unique effects. You have decent removals in most colours and some of the themes you are supporting (+1/+1 counters, auras) make bouncing creatures a great tempo play. Why should I waste multiple picks to go in black, if I mostly gain slightly better removal?

- The colours seem indeed to lack a clear identity. I think that, since you are working with a reduced colour-pie, you need to base your archetypes in colour pairs and not in shards/wedges. That should help to diversify colours.

- You might need to cut some archetypes: some of them didn't feel like they were supported enough (like artifacts, for example). Since your Cube is rather small in size, I think that focusing on a limited amount of themes would also make them deeper. With your current list, I can see the drafting experience growing stale very quickly.

- I think you should be very careful in choosing where to break singleton, because doing so is, again, conducive to repetitive experiences and homogenised decks. I'm all for breaking singleton, but I think you should do it only in case of actual need (i.e., when there are no other cards that can provide the same effect, and you really need it in order to facilitate an archetype). Birthing Pod deserves to be there in multiples; Mistfire Weaver probably not.

- Speaking of Pod: I love the card and the decks in enhances. I totally do. But I am afraid that it might be way too powerful for your Cube!

P.S.: I hope I didn't sound too harsh. As I said, I think the idea is very cool and introduces an interesting mini-game. I just think that you need more direction in your list, so I tried to give you some suggestions. Other users did the same with me and it was super useful! There is some work to do, but I am sure that the result could be super cool.

I love the idea of a color-restricted cube. One thing you might consider is taking black off the list entirely, especially if you're building this cube on a "penny pincer" budget. I say that because several of the cards that are sufficiently powerful to pull someone into black are also hella expensive: dark confidant, hymn to tourach, etc.
I also thought while typing this, "wouldnt it be cool if the only black cards were gold cards, and the only black lands were nonbasic fixing lands?" Idk maybe it wouldnt be? Just an idea.
Anyway, another thing to think about as you design is your "power band." In other words, what is the gap between your strongest card in each color and your weakest card in each color? And, is your cube environment helping bridge that gap? A wide power band is generally one of the problems encountered in powermax cubes, and it's something to think about here, especially because, since you're breaking singleton freely, you have a powerful tool at your disposal to narrow down that band. (I don't recommend aiming for complete flatness of power level though.)
Overall this looks very cool! I'm on my phone now but i will try to give it a draft or two later today.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Whoa, this is different.

How are you looking to add replayability to the cube? Is it a question that your drafters always want more sandbox to play in, or is it an issue of providing more strategic depth?

I ask because your format is already very constricted due to the small size combined with ample singleton breaking. This is a good formula if you are looking to have similar decks showing up every week, and want to encourage strategic depth and meta shifts. However, its a poor formula if your drafters need a larger sandbox and greater deck diversity to hold their interest.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
The manabase is genius, but I'm tempted to think that the blossoming sands cycle should swap for the brushland cycle.

The cube is extremely small and the power band is pretty wide, so I'm thinking that the drafting here is going to get scripted with repeated plays, even with the very unique manabase problem presented. There is also very little early pressure outside of someone trying to get the nut boros deck which does look pretty good. I think this list will be really fun, but I think its lifespan is might be limited. It really depends how much overlap there really is in the different decks, which is hard to tell at a glance.

I really appreciate your input! I knew I could count on you guys to knock the rose-tint off my proverbial glasses. I don't have much time to flesh out my reply to you guys in all the work I need to do today, but I did find time to go through my list and weigh the singleton-breaking to myself.

3x Champion of the Parish - A turn one play that gets better. I'm not one for undercosted vanillas, but beater one drops are necessary for aggro. I've heard three being oppressive, but I'm not sure humans are in as high a density to function as well in this cube. Also plays well with proliferate.

2x Seeker of the Way - Two drop to support auras, spellsling, and metalcraftish. Also one of the few instances of lifegain.

2x Heliod's Pilgrim - Tutor all-star. Grabs a lot of different things, from removal in Arrest, to creatures in Elephant Guide and Curse of Shallow graves.

2x Kor hookmaster - Temporary solution to combat. I'm not a big fan, so I'm looking for things to run in her place.

2x Master Splicer - Metalcraft and blink. Also work well with each other.

2x Sundering Growth - Staple hate. Synergizes with thopters and golems. The other one's hiding in green.

2x Turn to Mist - Blinks the articifers for metalcraft and Champion of the Parish triggers. Also serves to disassemble auras.

2x Master's call - Metalcraft and prowess strategies and has a hidden removal mode vs 2 toughness creatures!

2x Sheer Drop - Sorcery Assassinate doesn't feel that great, but kicker for a creature makes me want to try pushing it. This is where I'd like removal quality to be to push the value of Doom Blade and Dismember.

2x Survival Cache - Lifegain, prowess triggers, sometimes card draw.

2x Bonds of faith - Not a big fan, but it's more modal than pacifism. A big part of it is looking for that critical mass of enchantments. I may actually prefer this over Arrest though since removal quality is something I'm concerned with.

2x Arrest - Good, but maybe too good? Tutor with Heliod's Pilgrim and drop for two with Herald of the Pantheon or Hero of Iroas.

Other things that need replacing:

Myrsmith - I don't think I'll be able to trigger that clause enough. Maybe if I ran more living weapon creatures?
Emancipation Angel - It doesn't fill much of a role yet. 3/3 flier is good, but there's not much to bounce back for value in this format.
Observant Alseid - Really weak. Included for enchantress, but Griffin Guide may be better in it's place.
Celestial Ancient - My attempt at marrying the enchantment theme with the counters theme. Is it good enough though?
2x Jeskai Elder - A body for prowess synergies. I don't know if she's as strong as I want her to be, so I'm looking for things to run in her place.

2x Thrumming Bird - Proliferation and air beats with a turn three ghostfire blade equip maybe? It's a bit of a stretch, but landing an ordeal on it can be powerful.

2x Mistfire Weaver - In my need to validate 2x Herald of Kozilek, I want morphs to have some sort of mass. Weaver was one of my favorites in KTK and can also serve as air beats.

2x Remand - It's the epitome of non-feelbad counterspells.

2x Spell Shrivel - Opted for this over mana leak to alleviate counterspell feelbads, but it's an even stronger mana leak under Herald of Kozilek!

2x Clutch of Currents - An attempt to validate the inclusion of the single Halimar Tidecaller. Bounce is still really good at disassembling voltron though.

2x Ponder - Card selection. Opted over brainstorm since I run no fetches.

2x Treasure Cruise - I feel like it's a fair draw spell, but maybe two is too much.

2x Ordeal of Thassa - Grows creatures and draws cards.

2x Domestication - Does control magic count as one for one-ing the opponent? Domestication over actual control magic so that it can be broken by counters and auras, but maybe that's not necessary.

2x Aether Spellbomb - Sorcery speed bounce for 1U or cycle for 2. Fetched by Trinket Mage though, and it's cost is reduced in Izzet colorless!

Talrand, Sky Summoner - A good pay off for spell sling, but is it any fun to run? And how fun is it to stare down?
Keiga, the Tide Star - Filler finisher, though splashable 5/5 flying for 6 seems pretty okay.
Spire Golem - Mostly just something for metalcraft and colorless strategies. Definitely needs replacing.
Careful Considerations - How good is this for card selection?
3x Monastery Swifspear - I really wanted to push spellsling and certain cubes are content with running her at three.

2x Ire Shaman - There's a lack of good morphs in red that are in line with the power level I wanted to see. Megamorph can play with proliferate fortunately, and its "Act on Impulse" clause can be useful.

2x Mog War Marshal - I'm struggling with two drops. ;__;

2x Stormblood Berserker - This one's tough, but it curves really well out of Monastery Swiftspear and is a monster proliferate target.

2x Young Pyromance - It does the spellsling thing.

2x Ghirapur Gearcrafter - Throwing a Ghostfire Blade on it's thopter seems pretty cool. Maybe I should trade one or both for Thopter Engineer?

2x Burst Lightning - Shock that can be kicked. May be too strong of a removal spell, unfortunately.

2x Magma Jet - Good value removal that can dig for your swamps!

3x Volt Charge - The backbone of proliferate in red.

2x Burn Away - I really want this one to be good. I included it hoping to incorporate some good processor themes. Maybe in OGW.

2x Faithless Looting - Recurrable spell for prowess and hand filtering. I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for though.

2x Twinflame - Another means of blinking artificers. That said, maybe the previously mentioned Thopter Engineer is the way to go.

2x Ordeal of Purphoros - More removal and proliferate support.

2x Shrine of Burning Rage - Proliferate target and metalcraft support? The reach quality may be too good though.

Smoke Braider - I'd be more inclined to run it if I had a good top-end elemental in black. Otherwise, its targets are lacking.
Mogis's Warhound - I was hoping it could be a prowess trigger that could also be a creature, but it's as bad as Observant Alseid.
Guttersnipe - This seems unintuitive since I'm pushing spellsling, but I'm not sure if this is the direction I want to go.
Hardened Berserker - There's not much this guy fits into.
Ashcloud Phoenix - It's a good morph, but it's opposite of what Izzet colorless wants since it wants to start out cast.
Conquering Manticore - Same problems as Keiga, the Tide Star, but less splashable (but immediate!)
Hordeling Outburst - Doesn't really fit anywhere.
Ring of Valkas - Source of counters, but it's slow.
Pyromancer's Goggles - Colorless that fits with spellsling? It may also be too slow though.
2x Experiment One - Counter guy that grows a little better than Champ of the Par. It's also resilient once it evolves twice.

2x Leafcrown Dryad - Reach pants that can stop thopters. It's the more promising bestow option.

2x Tuskguard Champion - Counter lord that's also a good proliferate target.

2x Elephant Guide - I actually really like this inclusion as a creature. Needs a guy before it can land.

2x Eidolon of Blossoms - Support for the enchantress theme. I like it, but I'm not sure if it runs well in doubles.

2x Setessan Tactics - I love instant speed fight and this has the added bonus of giving fight to multiple guys. That said, it may be too strong.

2x Commune with the Gods - A good way to dig for enchantments and creatures, as well as dump spells for flashback.

2x Savage Punch - Decent fight spell that's better once you've grown a guy with some counters. May not need to be doubled up on.

2x Travel Preparations - A good engine for spreading counters.

2x Rancor - Build your own beatstick, but this may make too many beatsticks. Heliod's Pilgrim and Eidolon of Blossoms like it though.

3x Birthing Pod - THIS MAY BE A MISTAKE.

Ulvenwald Bear - I've always loved morbid, but its counter spreading may not be enough.
Dowsing Shaman - A great engine for the token-making auras and recycling removal auras, but it may not be fast enough.
Predator's Howl - 6 power instant speed for four mana seems back breaking.
2x Throne of Geth - A means for all colors to proliferate. It turns myrs into counters too. May not be good enough.

2x Ghostfire Blade - This was sitting at three originally, but it's no Bonesplitter. It does a good impression though.

2x Solemn Simulacrum - This is good in a lot of strategies. Works well with golem lords, feeds metalcraft, and even fetches the one basic swamp you managed to draft.

2x Herald of Kozilek - BUT IT'S A TWO-FOUR FOR THREE THAT MAKES MORPHS AND ARTIFACTS AND DEVOID SPELLS CHEAPER. IT'S A FOUR-SIX FOR FOUR WITH GHOSTFIRE BLADE.

Gainland cycles - Painlands may be stronger here, but I'm waiting for OGW to see if I can run manlands in this slot if my wallet permits.
Maybe all the spells - I wanted the draws into color pairs to be bomby, but maybe they're too bomby.

Ultimately, I may have brought this level higher than I wanted it to be. I wanted black to be of significantly higher quality, but I may need to dull a little bit of the synergies in the ink-treader colors to accomplish that. Unfortunately, I've run out of time to continue tinkering with that until tonight. I really appreciate all the insight, however, and will be addressing it and incorporating those ideas when I have time later today.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Ponder: Actually, given prowess Opt might actually be a sweet one. Not sure you intended that comparison, I'm not sure you meant it in that sentence as a card name :p

Stormblood Berserker: If this guy ends up being too good, swap a copy for Gore-House Chainwalker or War-Name Aspirant, other cards that team up with swiftspear well and proliferate nicely (Plus, wordmail synergy brah)

Shrine of Burning Rage: This card is strong enough that it doesn't really support themes. Sure it's great with volt charge, but it's also just great with any red spell, so it doesn't really have the intended effect.

Travel Preparations: Not really a green card. One of the issues I had with the GW version of the counters deck is that it was kind of just dudes and pump effects, severly lacking in interaction. I've recently made the swap between Travel Prep and Dromoka's Command to help ease that abit.

Okay so in my first draft I tried to go black with P1P1 Grave Titan and P1P2 Thoughtseize... then remembered what this cube is XD
The second draft went a lot smoother and ended in a pretty typical (but fun!) Izzet Prowess build.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Wow, if that list of singleton breaking is correct, you have about 55ish cards that you are doubling or tripling on in a 312 cube. That mean you're running something that will feel more akin to a 260ish card cube. If the final metagame dosen't feel really balanced and strategically deep, people are going to get tired of that pretty quickly. With the cube already being so small, I don't think you need to run more than two copies of any spell.

There are also some balance issues. Dismember isn't really a black card, while precursor golem is insane. Birthing pod is going to be a bit over the top if you have a lot of good ETBs. Treasure cruise is not a fair draw spell, brainstorm shouldn't really be in this format, and ponder is an easy, if unexciting, first pick.

I would think angel would be good, since it has x2 bonds, x2 arrest, and a faiths' fetters to disrupt.

I really like how you are running deathrite shaman without fetchlands. If you want to use the card to the fullness of its abilities (and you do since you just want to splash black) in encourages you to pick up cards like commune with the gods. This is absolute genius.

This is a neat, creative, little cube, and you did a great job creating meaninful tension with the fixing.

I'm just a relatively shy person. I'll be a chatterbox eventually though.

I've been physically drained from work and mentally drained from trying to meet that Hasbro contest deadline (oh you guys didn't know about it? Thank god.) which is why it took me so long to get around to tackling the cube again. And when I finally did, I hit the same sort of walls with Gruul and Simic you guys've mulled over in the past. Overall, I have trouble committing my card selections to set guild pairings. Figuring out that balance is difficult for me, even though I have less guilds to work with (six as opposed to ten.) I'll be making small modifications to the list as I draft more with it. I went up to 336 cards for a good minute, but went back down to 312 since I felt that the smaller deck building pool helped to remedy the smaller color variance per pack.

As for the insight you guys have offered me,

@Alphez: All incredibly valuable advice. I agree that black is not what I built it up to be in my mind initially. This mostly has to do with me understanding the shape of the cube's general theme, but not understanding where I need to set the dial for each color section's power level. I also agree with you my use of singleton-breaking. I was more worried about themes reaching the desired mass than I was about whether or not certain cards were necessary.

@Blacksmithy: Power band is a concept I hadn't even considered measuring for this cube. I'm looking to give the ink-treader colors a lower powerlevel overall so that black maintains its appeal. The difficulties I'm facing here is actually measuring these things. I feel that cards with generally high level of power can be tamed by crafting a deliberate environment, but as I've demonstrated, not really a guy who has a lot of practice in that area. Cards like Edric and Goblin Bombardment are eye-roll worthy in constructed, but hopefully won't perform as highly in this kind of environment.

@Grillo: I'm glad you addressed depth vs sandbox. To be honest, I had neither in mind when I was stringing this list together. Reflecting on it, I'd prefer that the ins-and-outs of this cube were easily learnable in one sitting. I'd want players to have fun drafting interactions specifically, then assembling their decks around that. I recognize, of course, that that goal is incredibly lofty. The general environment was wonky to start with which makes it harder for me to gauge. I do agree that the way I've set up multiples would dry out the draft experiences, so I'm making an effort to scale back. (I say this as I add in more 2x cards.) I admit that a good amount of my singleton breaking was mostly out of laziness.

@FlowerSunRain: I agree that the deck overlaps may be draining on drafters. The way I have set up, decks may start with a specific strategy, but then spill into a more general three-color deck that's put together at least once per draft. "Scripted drafting" is a very apt description of it. It's definitely what I want to avoid.

@Chris Taylor: I really.. really want to run opt... I'm such a snob. And thank you for pinpointing potential powerhouse pards--er, cards. I'm making an effort to make sure cards function appropriately with the rest of the cube now so that people are being beaten in the face by six powered Stormblood Berserker, then finished off with a Shrine with five counters.

What I've learned about my format is that the way I've tried to sculpt it makes it resemble the battlecruiser type formats in Rise of the Eldrazi and 3x Theros. I feel like this is a good baseline for the cube and will be tuning it according to that image. Of course, what even is a battlecruiser format I don't know anything how do I do any of this oh god anxiety. Additionally, I've begun to evaluate multiples not in terms of whether or not they help increase density, but in the number of the ways they can be applied to different situations. But also the former thing. There aren't enough awaken spells.

I'll be making more adjustments to the cube over the next couple days since I've had some epiphanies as I was typing this post out. I'll also modify the first post to reflect the general feel I'm trying to give among the ravnica guilds specifically.

As always, I'm always grateful that you noticed me senpais for the effort you guys are putting into evaluating my list. It's incredibly motivating to hear about the things I did correctly, as well as receiving direction for things I mishandled. Thank you for your time too.

It's Sunday fun-day!

I dropped a fat number of cards. I slashed the colorless and awaken themes since they're not well supported yet. I've also added a ULD-inspired draft portion as a way of offering Black mana producing sources in a non-random manner. The pile differs from the ULD in that it includes non-land spells, specifically Chromanticore, Arashin Foremost, Sage of Fables, Satyr Firedancer, and See the Unwritten. Sage of Fables and Satyr Firedancer seem like reasonable inclusions since they are a little more narrow in the decks they go in, but aren't fully build-around. Arashin Foremost and See the Unrwitten...I could use some help justifying.

Champion of the Parish
Niblis of the Urn
Seeker of the Way
Archetype of Courage
Elite Scaleguard
Knightly Valor
Otherworldly Journey
Encircling Fissure
Enduring Victory
Idyllic Tutor
Sheer Drop
Survival Cache
End Hostilities
Bonds of Faith
Ordeal of Heliod
Spirit Bonds
Cage of Hands
Spear of Heliod
Sidisi's Faithful
Jeskai Sage
Merfolk Looter
Echo Tracer
Halimar Tidecaller
Jhessian Thief
Mistfire Weaver
Trinket Mage
Write into Being
Write into Being
Profaner of the Dead
Perilous Research
Resounding Wave
Spell Shrivel
Clutch of Currents
Clutch of Currents
Mystic Speculation
Coastal Discovery
Treasure Cruise
Aether Spellbomb
Aether Spellbomb
Deathrite Shaman
Desecration Demon
Deathbringer Thoctar
Doom Blade
Far // Away
Thoughtseize
Exhume
Curse of Shallow Graves
Vault of Whispers
Vault of Whispers
Vault of Whispers
Mortuary Mire
Mortuary Mire
Swamp
Swamp
Swamp
Spikeshot Elder
Ash Zealot
Mogg War Marshal
Young Pyromancer
Scab-Clan Berserker
Ashcloud Phoenix
Mardu Heart-Piercer
Embermaw Hellion
Siege-Gang Commander
Burst Lightning
Twin Bolt
Volt Charge
Firebolt
Rolling Temblor
Rolling Thunder
Curse of Stalked Prey
Flameshadow Conjuring
Ring of Valkas
Bramblewood Paragon
Nest Invader
Nest Invader
Rattleclaw Mystic
Aura Gnarlid
Renegade Krasis
Undergrowth Champion
Elephant Guide
Kozilek's Predator
Longshot Squad
Ondu Giant
Woodland Wanderer
Eidolon of Blossoms
Acidic Slime
Harrow
Commune with the Gods
Growth Spasm
Harmonize
Rancor
Azorius Charm
Firespout
Dromoka's Command
Elderwood Scion
Sagu Mauler
Herald of Kozilek
Herald of Kozilek
Figure of Destiny
Chronomaton
Solemn Simulacrum
Everflowing Chalice
Elixir of Immortality
Chimeric Mass

Imposing Sovereign
Leonin Relic-Warder
Blade Splicer
Glimmerpoint Stag
Karmic Guide
Rootborn Defenses
Mastery of the Unseen
Harbinger of the Tides
Jeskai Infiltrator
Mizzium Meddler
Neurok Invisimancer
Sprite Noble
Vendilion Clique
Master of Waves
Mist Raven
Murder of Crows
Voyage's End
Cackling Counterpart
Ray of Command
Dark Confidant
Malicious Affliction
Ebon Stronghold
Lavaclaw Reaches
Mogis's Warhound
Goblin Rabblemaster
Stoneshock Giant
Stoke the Flames
Act of Aggression
Outpost Siege
Nightshade Peddler
Spawnwrithe
Yasova Dragonclaw
Ivy Lane Denizen
Vital Splicer
Garruk's Packleader
Kessig Cagebreakers
Hunter's Prowess
Fists of Ironwood
Behemoth Sledge
Dack's Duplicate
Stoic Angel
Jeskai Ascendancy
Myr Propogator
Necropouncer

I've trimmed this list down to 254 (hey mods can I get help with changing that thread title?) in an attempt to make this a little budget for myself, and also a little easier to draft. We were going to draft the original list a couple weeks ago, but it was the first time in forever we cobbled together 8 guys, so we elected to draft Chaos and powered cube. It was a hoot.

I am concerned that the current list still runs the potential of becoming dry with only a minor 40 card variance. I've included some other synergistic pieces, such as Ivy Land Denizen + Saproling Tokens, the Karmic Guide + Reveillark Combo (infinite with bombardment!), and more consistent manifest-y things for blinking shenanigans. The cube should be a little easier to peruse now that it's a smaller size. I'm also on the fence concerning Champion of the Parish. His only utility right now is as an undercosted, synergy-dependent beater. I'd appreciate any direction in maybe cutting him and other lackluster selections in the cube. With any luck, I can get a draft in next weekend.

Updated the OP to reflect the new stuff.