General "Looking for a card"-Thread

I sometimes find myself in a position, where I'm thinking over a certain slot, where I wonder which kind of card could help me filling the gap(s) perfectly, or where I am just looking for something different - but I don't exactly know where to look. So I thought, a thread where you could describe your vacant job and the people help you to find the ideal candidate could be helpful.

_______

Okay, in my case, I'm looking for a red 4-drop
It should be a creature (or token producing spell)
I want something that fits a rare cube with a peasant-like power level
The card should be interesting and exciting, something that is different
I'm not searching for a card every deck wants ala FTK, something that rewards synergies and is only really good when you work for it maybe.

Any ideas? In red I am supporting aggro, Wildfire, tokens, spells matter and sacrifice.

I had to ban Steamflogger Boss, Contraptions.dec was too strong.

But otherwise, thank you very much, guys. Now I want to expand my 4-drop section :p

My favorite for the moment might be Captivating Crew, which slipped under my radar during spoiler season and drafting Ixalan. I will bring this topic up with my playgroup.

Not trying to shoot this thread down but this engine from the Mothership is quite useful for finding exactly what you need as long as you know what you’re looking for:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Advanced.aspx

If you’re looking for red 4-drops, simply put in ‘Red’ in the color, ‘4’ in the mana cost and ‘Creature’ in the type.

If you’re looking for red cards that cost 4 and produces tokens, simply write ‘creature token’ in the card text.

Again: Not trying to kill this thread. Just wanted to help in case you didn’t know Gatherer.

Not trying to shoot this thread down but this engine from the Mothership is quite useful for finding exactly what you need as long as you know what you’re looking for:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Advanced.aspx

If you’re looking for red 4-drops, simply put in ‘Red’ in the color, ‘4’ in the mana cost and ‘Creature’ in the type.

If you’re looking for red cards that cost 4 and produces tokens, simply write ‘creature token’ in the card text.

Again: Not trying to kill this thread. Just wanted to help in case you didn’t know Gatherer.

I think we're all magiccards.info nerds here. Once you get used to the interface and search line it's the best by far.

In threads like these, we're usually vouching for the cards we link, not just acknowledging that they exist. Probably a good chunk of us have seen every single card on gatherer (I know I have, maybe twice).

Appreciate the thought.

Yeah, in cases you know the cc and type, you can just type them into m.info or the gatherer. I've spend hours doing that, maybe days. But even in a case like this, where you know a certain slot, it can be helpful to hear other peoples favorites. How often have I scrolled over a card with no reaction, only to realize much later, that it could've actually been what I was looking for. In Kirblinx post alone are three cards I was completely unaware of, or of the potential they might have. Also, there are many cards that play better than they look.

And often I had moments, where I had something in mind like "hmm, I could use another card in green or blue that helps enabling graveyard synergies." Kinda tough to search for this :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I can vouch for Pyre Hound. I recently included it, and it's a super rewarding build around card. Smashing in for six feels really nice :) With some setup it's also great with Wildfire effect. It only requires one other spell to survive the sweeper!

Another one I like is...

which has to be one of the best pingers in the game if uncontested and helps bridging an artifact theme into red.

It's different (land destruction), reasonable power level but not too high. Good with sacrifice matters and Wildfire. Does not fit every red deck.

I think we're all magiccards.info nerds here. Once you get used to the interface and search line it's the best by far.

In threads like these, we're usually vouching for the cards we link, not just acknowledging that they exist. Probably a good chunk of us have seen every single card on gatherer (I know I have, maybe twice).

Appreciate the thought.

Have used magiccards.info for 10 years. Now I use scryfall as well.

Didn’t mean to be a nazi in any way. Just wanted to help.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So, to use this for it's intended purpose, how about suggestions for the following:

• Blue
  • 2 drop
  • Creature
  • Graveyard/Self-mill type stuff

Imo one of the beste ways to full your 'yard is playing looters. These would fit the description while being good for other decks:

I'm running 5 looters currently and I would always recommend these guys first for self mill.

If you don't mind a 2-mana dork:

And if you want to go all in:

Alright I'll give this a whirl. I'm looking to boot this guy for severe underperformance and also bounce :/.

I'm thinking maybe another fatty 6-8 drop to support reanimator, or a new card to support sacrifice synergies?

Alright I'll give this a whirl. I'm looking to boot this guy for severe underperformance and also bounce :/.

I'm thinking maybe another fatty 6-8 drop to support reanimator, or a new card to support sacrifice synergies?

I haven't played him yet, but I'm very excited about this guy as a reanimator fatty:

or

You already run Grizz, so I'm not sure how much you need Razaketh.

Gearhulk has the obvious synergy with Welder and is great in control. Have you ever tested Sneak Attack in your cube?

Mono-demon reanimator. I can see it now :p. Yeah probably don't need Razaketh, though he is lurking in the shadows if Grizz gets the axe.

For some reason I've always shied away from both of those cards? I dunno. I could see trying overseer but with eyes open to it running away with games. Overseer into Languish seems like beating of the Century.

I haven't tested Sneak attack in my cube. I guess it's always subconsciously felt way too good? Not the case?

Sneak is pretty fragile tbh. If you aren't maximizing it with Eldrazi, tutors, and Wheel effects, it's actually a lot of fun and challenging deck to build. Of course Griselbrand is the biggest red flag in you cube with Sneak Attack.

I don't know if they are adequat for your power level, but if you want a creature to sacrifice try these guys:

With sac outlet synergies they are really powerful and the Bx Sacrifice decks are plenty of fun.

Have you tested it in cube context?

I was tempted to try it, but it just seemed a little too expensive. I would've loved to play it, mayba with a 1B cost, or as a 1/1 with a B cost. Also black is my tightest color.