MCMcEmcee's Cube~ [450]

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I was looking at your list last night, cause I wanted to see what kind of cards another high-power-but-not-power-max cube runs, when I noticed you don't have Dark Confidant - a card that I'm keeping an eye on in my own list. Curious if this is this absent because of budget reasons, or power level concerns?

I was looking at your list last night, cause I wanted to see what kind of cards another high-power-but-not-power-max cube runs, when I noticed you don't have Dark Confidant - a card that I'm keeping an eye on in my own list. Curious if this is this absent because of budget reasons, or power level concerns?

It's partially just not wanting to put cards that are great in their constructed context but kinda traps in limited. I do like the card and would probably cut Pain Seer for it if I got around to adding it?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hmmm, interesting. It's not so much a trap, here, it's more.. the best card in black, head and shoulders above the rest. Really brings those Gravecrawler decks together, which have an average cmc of like 1.7. So I was wondering if you had banned it or something.

I would like to think that it encourages people to think about their curve as they draft but I'm not entirely convinced that would happen here :V
Did get to see someone flip Spectral Procession off Bob in another local cube, which was sweet.

I like Knight, it'll come back at some point. Probably when I get around to adding fetches! Dryad was cut earlier but somehow missed it on cubetutor. Sad to cut Karn but he might be back.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Having read that article on how ensoul is to be used in affinity, it gives me the jitters in cube.

It either sits dead, or acts as a 2-3 mana 5/5 haste. That's a hell of a power differential!
I try and dodge cards that are either insane or horrible, for the most part

Having read that article on how ensoul is to be used in affinity, it gives me the jitters in cube.

It either sits dead, or acts as a 2-3 mana 5/5 haste. That's a hell of a power differential!
I try and dodge cards that are either insane or horrible, for the most part

I like to have some theme/synergy incentives that aren't just pure upside on an already good card. Plus the "2-3 mana 5/5 haste if they don't have anything" scenario is kinda true of auras in general.

After Ensoul Artifact, Shrapnel Blast, and UB Tezzeret, I dunno what other good incentives there are for a more aggressive artifact-heavy deck that don't suck. Slower artifact decks get to play stuff like Upheaval and Wildfire or just ramp into powerful stuff, and only really have to compete with control decks for stuff like Signets/Coalition Relic. Would be nice for aggro decks to have a reason to steal some of those picks imo. UB Tezz is a bit too color-intensive and also fits into controlling decks, whereas Ensoul seems to push more for jamming early.

Windwright Mage/Aeronaut Tinkerer/Court Homunculus are kinda what I'm looking for but they are so bad against real cards. Esperzoa is close but isn't enough reward for the hoops you jump through.

- Military Intelligence
- Sun Titan

+ Ponder
+ Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Intel was ok, ponder is a placeholder. Sun Titan likely to remain, might swap Gideon for Elspeth instead.

Figuring out KTK changes. Probably want bloodsoaked champion and war-name aspirant, after that I'm not sure. Fetch reprint maybe means they are going in as well.

Made the first wave of KTK changes, up on cubetutor and I forgot to document everything here lol. Still a few changes to come (sarkhan, swapping bw sorins, etc) when I get around to it

Finally got around to updating the cube for DTK and MOrigins. Still need to add the flipwalkers.

Signets survive another purge. NEXT TIME YOU BASTARDS.

Reset cube and bulk uploaded so I dunno what the exact changes are with the "BFZ" update (that includes no BFZ cards). Now featuring prowess/spells-matter a bit more- doubled up on Delver, Swiftspear and Abbot to go with double Pyromancer.

Made a lot of updates thanks to BFZ/SoI block, will continue to add more as I get cards that I want. My green section has gained so many toys in the last few blocks, hoping for some cool updates for red/blue in the coming sets.

Recent roto draft of my updated cube, a guy had to pull out and we were lazy so we ran with 5, games to be played this weekend.

Update:
Results- monored 4-0, GW 3-1, 5c ramp/reanimator 2-2, unknown what the result was between UW control/Jeskai tempo vs. GB pod.