General [MTGO Cube Contest] +1/1 Tribal Enchantments

Normally, I would spend a few hours typing up a nice long detailed post. But the desire to do that has delayed this request for feedback long enough (since I haven't found the time to do a lot of typing in one sitting)...

Here is a cube I built from scratch to submit for this contest: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/63021
It's pretty self explanatory*. I'll probably explain more when I go to write up my <500 word blurb this weekend. Or as people poke holes in my idea. Feedback?
(Over the weekend I'll also provide feedback to people who have not submitted yet. Again, I've been so busy between life and building this new cube that I haven't had a chance to prowl here as much... especially since I take my responses here too seriously. :D )

* Here's a slightly more detailed explanation. This cube aims to be at a MMA/EMA power level. It encompasses a lot of the principles espoused here. It aims for more interesting limited style gameplay, mainly via combat tricks and synergy.

I think it's a little harder to get bot drafts that make sense for this cube because pick orders are so fluid within color. Also, I think it's important to highlight that it is still more along the lines of limited, where it's not likely to get a full on synergy deck (compared to a full on tribal cube. It being hard to get enough of just 1 type makes some sense. I should probably make that expectation a little clearer. It's more about a lot of small to mid size synergies than 1 big overarching synergy.

Thanks for the thoughts! :)

Think I came out with a decent deck in the end--Rg beats with a little of the pump spell angle built in. The main piece of feedback I have for this cube is it's super information-dense: in a lot of ways the antithesis of the "elegance" idea espoused elsewhere on this forum. It's really difficult to unpack enough to draft this cube just once and feel like you've made reasonable decisions. I think you've built a lot of complexity in here, and not necessarily all in good ways. There's lots of things that care about creature type, but it's not always immediately (or ever) obvious which of you Goblins are Warriors and so on. Also I think it's a little strange that the mana fixing is largely in Ancient Ziggurat form while it seems to me that the pump spell deck (Zada and such) has the enablers all in GR and the payoffs largely in blue with Izzet Cyclops and such.

universe34's draft of MTGO Cube Contest: +1/+1 Tribal Enchantments on 11/09/2016 from CubeTutor.com

Whew, I finally pumped out that ~500 word blurb. I've already gotten some feedback about refining my intro, but I won't be able to to get to it till after work (maybe I can work on it at lunch?). Regardless, I'm still just gonna toss out the blurb in case anyone has a chance to read / review. More opinions are always nice. And who knows, maybe the intro is fine and the other people were off.

I own a 600 card legacyish power level cube. It has its quirks, but it doesn’t particularly stand out. I wanted to design a more differentiated experience for MTGO. Cube’s biggest letdown, for me, is that combat tends to be more scripted because there’s a lower density of combat tricks. Thus, I set out to create an environment more akin to limited. To this end, I sought to incentivize combat tricks and depower removal.​
Theros sets a great model for this. On the trick side, permanent effects (such as +1/+1 counters and flash auras) and protection effects offer the most upside. On the creature side, great beneficiaries include heroic, double striking and “spells matter” creatures. These foundational pillars iterated on themselves. As I intertwined more protection effects, creatures that benefit from boosts, and situational removal spells, auras became more appealing. Both beneficial and debilitating auras fit snuggly in the space I carved out. And so, +1/+1 counters and enchantments became the non-creature themes of my format.​
In searching for a creature theme, I wanted something in the same “build up synergy” spirit. Another aspect of magic that many enjoy, but gets crowded out in traditional cubes happens to be tribal! Tribal shines in a format with fewer sweepers and a lot of temporary spot removal. However, as evidenced by Lorwyn, tribal walks a very thin line between too on-rails boring and too open-endedly complex. Here, I am least confident. Had I not built this from scratch in the past three weeks, I would have had more time to test and tune. Instead, I hope to look to Wizards R&D for help balancing this. As a starting point, I opted towards open ended. I included fewer narrow payoffs and enablers compared to other tribal cube I’ve referenced. I envision this being less of a tribe focused cube and more of high powered limited feeling cube that happens to have heavy tribal synergy.​
Finally, I sprinkled in a smattering of other themes that fit well. Token, sacrifice, graveyard, and spells matter synergies are common amongst cubes and play particularly well with my core pillars. Unique subthemes include defenders and evasion/saboteur. Defenders play well as a form of situational removal that provides sideways value and can act a secret “tribe.” Emphasizing evasion and providing saboteur payoffs helps involve blue in combat and serves as a foil and necessary counter-play to the synergistic build up I’m encouraging.​
Closing notes:​
Major tribe synergies include: humans, soldiers, spirits, wizards, zombies, warriors, goblins, shamans, and elves. With cameos from: rogues, giants, treefolk, and allies.​
The land offerings are completely subject to change. Unlike the rest of the cube, it is currently non singleton. I aimed to provide a selection that supports for good two color mana bases, reasonable splashes, and specialized four to five color tribal decks, while limiting full 3-4 color good stuff decks.​

(Also, thank you StormEntity for the draft and feedback. It reminded my that I forgot about a pretty nifty green payoff in Quirion Dryad :). I agree it is complex. I think it suffers from that naturally due to having a lot of open ended tribalness, in the same way that Lorwyn was very complicated. My hope is that there is a level 0 of drafting it just like limited that most people can grasp and do ok with. Dudes, removal, and combat tricks is a classic limited recipe. Certainly there is more synergy to be had, but I aimed to make them mostly self contained, such most the time you won't need a critical mass of something to make your deck function. There's no stacking of lords a la merfolk. Most the lords function well by themselves. For example, Imperious Perfect or Cemetery Reaper. And other pay off cards usually work reasonably well even with a only a few synergy pieces. It's mostly just the few Goblin Ringleader style cards that are critical mass payoffs. So in theory, you can draft bits of synergy and do well. You're not punished for not figuring out to go all in on a certain thing. In practice, I'm not sure. So I'm just gonna cross my fingers at this point, as bad as that sounds. Also, I think it will be easier on modo where you can more readily review and organize your picks.)