One Pack One Pick (p1p1 thread)

All cards mentioned so far seem absolutely reasonable, but I'm surprised noone has mentioned Selesnya Guildmage yet. This guy was an absolute beast in Ravnica limited, and I run him in my cube too with great success. He does so much for the low opportunity cost of being a bear.

That said, I don't like to firstpick multicolored cards, so for me it would've been probably Vedalken Dismisser over Repeal, Wayfinder and Guardian. Dismisser is great tempo, CA, and can lead to a soft lock with some effects.

Necroplasm can also be quite strong in some decks and matchups.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
All cards mentioned so far seem absolutely reasonable, but I'm surprised noone has mentioned Selesnya Guildmage yet.
Of course Aston picks the Guildmage and beats you by 4 minutes :D

Guildmage was definitely up there for me, but I couldn't remember how well it performed in og Rav drafts. Dismisser was completely not on my radar, it just looks so anaemic. Then again, I forgot how bad creatures in general were in Ravnica block :') I still think I would go for one of the bouncelands here, though. They're just so strong!

The only reason I wasn’t sure about Dismisser was that it’s hard to tell the speed of the cube based on just that pack. If the format is a step faster than original RAV, then it might be too slow.

The thing is, I also don't know how good he really is, because I got close to no testing so far with the cube/set. But I can't wait to change that. You all are invited to drafting :D

oh boy, if you don't know how good he was...dude was a great common in the original draft format and imo if you kept the slow grindy nature of it it's a first pick in this pack

Oh, I know what a monster he was. And I tried to keep all the cool things from the original draft format possible. Like the Aura-blink deck with Auratouched Mage, Mark of Eviction and Flickerform. But I can't say by now how different this format will play out. Maybe former great cards like Dismisser will only be decent, maybe some others might be better.

Hm I'd probably pick up cloud of fairieris because it cycles and leaves you pretty open for next pick. There are some cool cards but they all require some set up I feel.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Time for a necro, because I didn't know what the correct pick was here!

I went with the Tangle Wire myself, because I don't have to commit to a color yet that way, and because I like the tempo and the Smokestack archetypes that this can shine in.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Can't go wrong with Tangle Wire; Courser is so tempting, and Pia and Kiran or Exclusion Mage are solid role-players. I like building around Dread Return but I'd prefer to see it a bit later

I’d take pia and kiran...there’s a lot to set up with on the wheel. It interacts with dread return, treasure hunter, tangle wire....even exclusion mage if you go down the bounce your bro route. ...or you could just get abrade which is also great. Even if none of those wheel, p&k has enough standalone power.

Tangle wire is a close second for me. If I’m feeling saucy that day, I’d consider taking it first.