Parthenopaeus's Pivot Cube

INTRODUCTION

My cube on CubeCobra

Drafts, Matchups, and Commentary on Twitch

Around Fall 2019, I read Japahn's brilliant article on archetype shapes, and it completely changed how I understood cube design. At that point in my cube lifetime I had owned and played only a small peasant cube, mostly born of a love of uncommons from old drafts and EDH decks that I had laying around that didn't have a home. A few days of theorycrafting and browsing later, I drafted up a new cube list with archetypes I found exciting.

After an extensive amount of tweaking, online drafting, collecting feedback, and lurking on these forums, I have finally decided to come out of the shadows and share my thoughts on my cube!

DESIGN GOALS

My goal is to maintain a draft environment that does the following things well:
  • #1: Supports a wide range of viable decks
  • #2: Creates interesting and challenging drafts
  • #3: Makes for a highly replayable experience
I want my cube to feel like a canvas upon which players can paint. One should be able to play the same color combination across multiple drafts and have a completely different deck each time, not just in terms of cards included, but in terms of the deck's strategy, speed, and synergies. In fact, depending on how a given draft goes, two drafters may each have very powerful decks in exactly the same color combination, playing completely different archetypes.
To that end, I have chosen to build the bulk of the cube around five pivot archetypes, each centered in one color with explicit support in three other colors. The archetypes are as follows:

{W} Tokens {G}{R}{B}
{G} Lands {R}{U}{W}
{R} Spellslinger/Prowess {B}{U}{W}
{B} Graveyard Value {U}{G}{R}
{U} ETB Effects {W}{G}{B}

There are also a few secondary archetypes of various shapes scattered around the cube. These tend to rely on a few key payoff cards that have incidental synergy with a high number of other cards in the cube, or are simply subsets of the pivot macro-archetypes listed above. These are:

{W}{U}{B}{R} Artifacts
{W}{R} Equipment
{W}{G/U} Enchantments/Auras
{G}{U/R} Loam/GraveLands
{R}{U}{B} Discard/Madness
{U}{W/B} Saboteurs
{B}{R/W} Sacrifice
{X} Stax

In addition to these specific archetypes, I try to make sure that the classical theaters of deck strategies are supported: aggro, midrange, control, etc. To that end, a given archetype could fall into a number of theaters.

For example, a {R/W} tokens deck will likely skew more aggressive than a {W/B} tokens deck. However, even within a {W/B} tokens deck, the player will have to decide whether to build into a faster midrange beatdown deck that attempts to flood the board and swing big by t5 or t6 with Intangible Virtue and Goldnight Commander, or to build into a hard control deck that relies on drain and stax effects to slowly grind out the game with Blood Artist and Braids, Cabal Minion. Both are viable variants of {W/B} tokens that have won draft pods before!

A given color pair can support not only a variety of theaters, but also a variety of strategies. {R/W} can appear as Equipment, Tokens, Spellslinger, or even some strange artifacts-based control deck. This works because many of the archetypes have significant overlap - cards like Hordeling Outburst play well in both Tokens and Spellslinger. This is how I accomplish my first goal: supporting a wide range of viable decks.

The structure of the cube certainly influences the draft itself. There is an inherent tension between drafting synergy and drafting generic goodstuff that greases the wheels of your deck. Players need a certain density of effects to play in a given theater, regardless of their archetype. A control deck needs good blockers, sweepers, and point removal to stay alive into the late game. Oftentimes during the draft, a player will have to make a decision between drafting strong point removal such as Oblivion Ring or card draw like Deep Analysis or picking up a strong synergy piece such as Trade Routes to complement an earlier pick such as Meloku of the Clouded Mirror or Life from the Loam. This tension ensures that drafts remain interesting and challenging, the second goal of my design.

Finally, such variance means that there are a huge variety of archetypes and playstyles to try out. In fact, many archetypes have emerged over the course of several drafts that I had not intentionally baked into the cube. This keeps my players (and myself) excited to continue replaying the cube in order to try new variants, sticking together new packages, and discovering new niche archetypes.

I'll provide breakdowns of each archetype and further notes on the cube in the coming days. Keep an eye out!

In the meantime: I ALWAYS appreciate feedback, add and cut suggestions, and fresh takes!

ARCHETYPES BREAKDOWN - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

TOKENS
Primary Color: {W}
Supporting Colors: {G}{R}{B}
Theaters: Aggro, Midrange, Control (Stax)

The strategy here is simple: 1) put massive numbers of creatures on the board 2) profit. Enablers are any card that creates creature tokens, while payoffs are anything that generates value from having lots of bodies on the board, whether that be by pumping them or sacrificing them.

Tokens decks can play a low-to-the-ground aggressive game in {R/W} or sometimes {B/W}, or can take part in a grindy {B/W} Sacrifice shell. {B/W} and {G/W} tend to be more midrangey, with {G} offering tokens a bit larger than your common 1/1. Any token color combination can lean into Stax hard if it picks up a couple of the stax effects.

This archetype overlaps well with Red Spellslinger, as many instants/sorceries create tokens, or Black Sacrifice, which appreciates having more fodder to sac. Some creatures generate tokens on ETB, making them prime flicker targets. A handful of the Landfall cards also generate tokens, giving some extra power to {G/W} shells.

{W}ENABLERS{W}

{W}PAYOFFS{W}

{G} GREEN SUPPORT {G}

{R}RED SUPPORT{R}

{B}BLACK SUPPORT{B}

DRAFT FORMAT NOTES - IN PROGRESS

Last Updated 3/14/21

I. DESIGN CHOICES

This section will be comprised of macro-design choices I've made intentionally, besides how I've structured my archetypes, that have significantly influenced the cube environment in some way.

II. FORMAT OBSERVATIONS

This section will be comprised of things I've learned about my cube over time through play. Some later design choices I've made have been based on these observations, usually to build around or reinforce them.

II.1 Birds, Spirits, and Thopters, oh my!

By virtue of running a format that supports tokens heavily and artifacts as a common subtheme, a high density of 1/1 flyers has cropped up naturally. And they are GOOD. A board of 3+ 1/1 flying tokens can close a game quickly. The high density of cards that make 1/1 flyers have increased the value of a couple of other types of cards:

- Equipment! stick a Bonesplitter or Heirloom Blade on that bad boy and you have a serious clock.
- Bigger flyers/reachers. Anything that can stonewall that big board of flyers is especially valuable; see Curator of Mysteries or Ancient Greenwarden. On the flip side, though, control decks looking to chump early big flyers love cards that give them random 1/1 flying tokens to buy time.

Cards to look out for:
Lingering Souls, Midnight Haunting, Ministrant of Obligation, Battle Screech, Emeria Angel, Sai, Master Thopterist, Whirler Rogue, Thopter Spy Network, Meloku, the Clouded Mirror, Hangarback Walker

II.2 Three is the Magic Number

I know this is point #2, but I haven't figured out #3 yet, so here it is: three is the magic number for Toughness. Lots of aggro creatures at 1, 2, and 3 are 2/x's. Much of the removal are variants of Shock or Infest with upside. A 3 toughness creature provides a good early blocker for control decks that can usually also eat random tokens (especially if it's a 2/3) that survives most of the lower-drop removal.

Removal that misses an x/3: Cry of the Carnarium, Drown in Sorrow, Burst Lightning, Galvanic Blast, Staggershock, Firebolt, Flame Jab, Crush the Weak, and MAYBE a Fiery Confluence if your opponent decides to select the first mode 3 times.

Low-drop creatures with 3+ toughness: Wall of omens, Ardenvale Tactician, Bygone Bishop, Fairgrounds Warden, Militia Bugler, Elusive Spellfist, Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive, Glint-Nest Crane, Thassa's Oracle, Queen of Ice, Sai, Master Thopterist, Eternal Taskmaster, Liliana's Devotee, Undercity Informer, Vampire Nighthawk, Burning Prophet, Dreadhorde Arcanist, Countryside Crusher, Glint-Horn Buccaneer, Wall of Blossoms, Courser of Kruphix, Kazandu Mammoth, Ramunap Excavator, Reflector Mage, Shadowmage Infiltrator, Nyx Weaver, Enigma Drake.

SEASON 1 DECKLISTS

In the last couple of months, my friends and I have been doing weekly online drafts in a casual little Cube League format. We regularly had 6-8 players per draft, and besides the championship, would play three matchups of round robin, winners-play-winners.

To show off the cards and archetypes of the cube, here I'll share the winning decklists and the decklists I've found most interesting from our league. A few notes:

I did tweak the cube from week to week, meaning that some cards in these decks may no longer be in the cube. Additionally, you'll notice a severe lack of Green decks in the following list. I attribute this to a couple of factors:

1) One of our drafters loves forcing mono-G, and forced decks don't always have a great winrate (no shade on them though, as long as they're having fun with it!). This had the effect of crowding other players out of Green who might have otherwise drafted it and skewing Green's overall performance.

2) The Lands archetype has needed some help. A few Green decks managed to pull together 2-1's, but rarely were they consistent enough to pull the 3-0. I've reworked it more than any other archetype in the cube, so in theory it only got better as the League went on. The fact that I took a Simic deck to the finals in the championship may serve as evidence of that (or maybe not - too small a sample size, right?).

CHAMPIONSHIP DECKS

5-0 LEAGUE CHAMPION: Orzhov Artifact Token Sac Swarm - Splash Blue

This deck took the cake at our league championship last night. It pulled of some crazy shenanigans, including a particularly nasty line of play that involved sticking a Grafted Wargear onto the token from Dreadhorde Invasion to turn on Lifelink several turns early. During the second match of the final, its pilot stalled me out until I decked myself by using this combo, Blood Artist and Sylvok Lifestaff to gain upwards of 53 life. This was certainly unlike anything I had seen before in a dozen drafts of the cube!

Up next is the deck that I piloted to the championship finals, only to lose 2-1 against the above deck:

4-1 LEAGUE FINALIST: Simic Turboramp Control - Splash White w/ Buried Ruin Artifacts Package

SEASON 1 DRAFTS

Now I'll post the decks that 3-0'd our draft pods in the last few weeks, and a few of the most interesting decks that lost their final matches to the 3-0 decks. You'll notice that some of these cards aren't in the cube anymore, mostly having been cut to make room for other things (e.g. the Vivid lands).

This one actually faced off against another Boros deck during the final matchup, which DID go to game 3:

BOROS REINFORCEMENTS (3-0)

This is a deck that I piloted to victory, playing some very tight and challenging matchups, particularly in the final round against a nutty Jeskai Artifacts Control build.

IZZET COUNTERBURN (3-0)

The aforementioned Jeskai Artifacts Control that nearly beat the above deck:

JESKAI ARTIFACTS CONTROL (2-1)

The matchups between the two above decks were some of the most fun games of Magic I have ever played! Game 1 my opponent curved Sai into Jhoira into Glassdust Hulk, followed up with a couple of Equipments on the following turn and swung for lethal. Game 2 was much grindier, with each of us answering each other's threats almost immediately, becoming a struggle to untap and get value out of any creature played. I ultimately closed it out with by resolving a Rise from the Tides with ~10 instants/sorceries in the yard. If I hadn't drawn into Rise, I likely would have lost! The final match I managed to outpace him by immediately hitting his t2 Pentad Prism with an Abrade, effectively time walking him for two turns, at which point he was unable to catch up to me.

Up next is another Boros deck, this time focused on Equipment instead of Tokens:

BOROS EQUIPMENT AGGRO (3-0)

This deck just ran people over. I'm not sure that splashing Blue for Glassdust Hulk was the correct move, but I guess it worked out pretty well for that player this draft.

Here we have one of my very own decks, which has quickly become one of my favorite archetypes to play in this cube:

DIMIR TEMPO ETBS (3-0)

This deck had some serious play to it. First of all, reanimator spells like Victimize play really well with Blue's cheap ETB creatures. You don't need to grab big things with it for it to be good - recurring a couple of early two drops like Watcher for Tomorrow proved to be more than enough value to win a game. Additionally, untapping with a Nephalia Smuggler on the board can lead to some nasty soft-locks with Ravenous Chupacabra and Shriekmaw. Despite all of that, the gameplan is normally very simple: this archetype is supremely good at putting cheap, evasive bodies on the board quickly and drawing cards while it does. Valuetown, indeed. I was sad not to have Rescue from the Underworld in my pool this time, as in previous drafts when I played it in this archetype it proved to be one of the best cards.

Finally, we have one player's excellent draft of one of my favorite archetypes in any format, whether it be EDH, Modern, or Cube:

ORZHOV TOKENS (3-0)

I cut Retrofitter Foundry after this draft, as it felt too cheesy - way too much rolled into one card for one mana, needing no extra help, and being hard to interact with. Even without Foundry, though, this deck was certainly 3-0 material!

I've drafted this cube a few times now. There are a lot of really cool concepts at play here, but also a few structural things which could potentially spoil some drafts for some people. It's evident that you've put a lot of time and effort into this list, which is good to see. I'd like to do a full critique of this when I have a chance, but I don't have time right now because of finals.

The big thing I can recommend right now is adding the Fetchlands, even if you can only add the ally color ones or have to proxy them. All of your different lands decks seem very anemic right now without the ability to get two or three landfall triggers in a turn. A lot of the lands enablers you are currently running are really great in formats closer in power level to earlier draft sets, but a lot of the cards in this cube look like they're trying to be on a power level above even a masters retail environment. Fetches are really the best thing you can add to help make those decks compete with the power level of some of the other things going on in this format.

I've drafted this cube a few times now. There are a lot of really cool concepts at play here, but also a few structural things which could potentially spoil some drafts for some people. It's evident that you've put a lot of time and effort into this list, which is good to see. I'd like to do a full critique of this when I have a chance, but I don't have time right now because of finals.

The big thing I can recommend right now is adding the Fetchlands, even if you can only add the ally color ones or have to proxy them. All of your different lands decks seem very anemic right now without the ability to get two or three landfall triggers in a turn. A lot of the lands enablers you are currently running are really great in formats closer in power level to earlier draft sets, but a lot of the cards in this cube look like they're trying to be on a power level above even a masters retail environment. Fetches are really the best thing you can add to help make those decks compete with the power level of some of the other things going on in this format.

Thanks so much for the feedback you've given so far! A few thoughts on the comments you left with your draft decks:

You're right, Path to Exile sits at the very top of the cube's power band. The rest of White's removal is tied up with enchantments or creatures. I don't want to cut out removal entirely from White's instant/sorcery section, as I think it would power down the Boros spellslinger piles... But then again, Path is the only card I'm running there already. Maybe I should cut it for something slightly less efficient.

Anyway, I guess Capture Sphere is a fairly meh card by comparison. It's about the same cost as some other removal in the cube such as Cast Out but doesn't deal with the threat nearly as well. I'd likely be better served by replacing it with more countermagic or another Control Magic effect, as these two things seem like Blue's best way of dealing with permanents.

On color fixing: I'm actually slightly surprised that it seemed to be an issue in your test drafts. I know that not all of the lands are the fastest printed, but Shocks, Pains, and Checks seemed like a decent start for decks that want to come out swinging. Currently, I run 40 duals, 5 vivids, and 4 lands in the colorless section that can help fix, which is just over 10% of the cube, the traditional rule of thumb. Between that, colorless rocks like Pentad Prism, and green fixing like Paradise Druid, I'd thought that my cube's fixing was actually fairly decent. Most decks end up being two color, with a few Midrange and Control decks being able to splash a third, with the occasional Simic deck pulling off some rainbow-splash shenanigans. I sort of like that as a goal for the cube. Maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what happened with the drafts where you couldn't get the manabase you wanted; I'd certainly appreciate further thoughts!

I love the Blue/White aggro deck you pulled together. I really tried to include three drops that keep the hurt coming and make sure that W aggro is resilient. Blue-based aggro decks also make my heart happy; Watcher for Tomorrow is one of my favorite cards in the cube and a good signal that the archetype is open, though Blue decks in any theater tend to get good mileage out of it.

On the Lands archetype being too anemic: You are absolutely right. I've reworked the archetype many times over several drafts and I feel like I'm never quite happy with it. Occasionally a strong Lands pile comes together, but oftentimes the decks are very swingy: either they get the pieces they need and overwhelm quickly, or they spin their wheels a lot and do nothing.

There's also the fact that there are two sort of Lands sub-archetypes going on: Landfall beatdown, which crops up as {G/W} or {R/G}, and Graveyard Lands/Loam decks, which usually show up in {G/U} or {R/G}. The former skews more aggressive/midrange, while the latter is much more control/combo. Obviously there's a lot of overlap, but it's very easy to draft a pile of cards that care about lands but end up with an incoherent deck that can't decide what theater it's trying to play in.

So yes, the archetype could use some more help. But I'm slightly wary of putting in a full suite of fetches; would that power-creep the cube too much? I guess fetchlands are only as powerful as the shenanigans they enable, but still... Maybe I could help both Landfall and Loam decks by including a couple of different cycles: the Mirage Fetches in allied colors such as Flood Plain and the Horizon lands in enemy colors such as Sunbaked Canyon. Thoughts on how these cycles might play in the cube?

EDIT:
Have been posting decklists from the last few weeks of our cube season in one of the above posts. Check 'em out!

So yes, the archetype could use some more help. But I'm slightly wary of putting in a full suite of fetches; would that power-creep the cube too much? I guess fetchlands are only as powerful as the shenanigans they enable, but still... Maybe I could help both Landfall and Loam decks by including a couple of different cycles: the Mirage Fetches in allied colors such as Flood Plain and the Horizon lands in enemy colors such as Sunbaked Canyon. Thoughts on how these cycles might play in the cube?

EDIT: Have been posting decklists from the last few weeks of our cube season in one of the above posts. Check 'em out!
So I'll touch on these more when I write down my full analysis of your cube (which is really sweet by the way), but as far as lands are concerned, 40 dual lands just isn't really enough to let decks have consistent fixing at 475, especially when some of the cycles are extremely slow like the Bounce Lands. I run 40 duals in my 360 cube and that is not even fully adequate for some of the aggressive strategies in my cube. I would recommend adding at least 10, if not 20 more duals to the cube, especially if they can come into play untapped. The canopy land cycle is great for this. What I would do there is run the 6 canopy lands that exist, and then use the extra 4 slots for lands that are parts of cycles you don't want to run the full set of. So for example, you could add Celestial Colonnade, Creeping Tar Pit, Blackcleave Cliffs, and Grove of the Burnwillows in that extra slot.

As for the Fetchlands, the only thing they're going to power creep is your landfall decks, which need the help anyways. While the fetches will help in making other decks more consistent, they're not going to make them more powerful. The main thing they're going to be doing is helping players lose less often to having mana issues. Since you only have a single set of shocklands and no original duals or Ikoria triomes, the fetchlands will more often than not simply be playing their original role of grabbing one of two basics, except for in decks where the drafter went out of their way to grab matching shocklands. I think they're definitely a net positive in this type of cube.

I like the look of your cube, power level seems to be at a sweet spot, low enough for synergies to matter big time.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/5fda3c7588d2130fa2881f83

This deck is sweet. I am baffled by how similar your cube is to mine. If you don't count power maxers, it is very hard to find two cubes which have so many similarities. That's kinda cool, we can maybe learn from each others mistakes and succeces.

The one thing I noticed was, that you run some very efficient EtB vlaue creatures. I found myself justifiying Nekrataal's buy telling myself ow sweet they are in combination with other stuff. But I had to admit, that they were better than many synergies in my list on their own and too good with a simple little synergy like blinking them with Nephalia Smuggler. It is possible that your cube is slightly higher in power level and therefore Chupacabra and friends are fine, but I'd have an eye on them. The same goes for Mulldrifter himself and stuff like Goblin Dark-Dwellers.

You don't want a completely flat power level, just be sure the indiviual strength of a few cards not overshadows the synergy.

Cool cube and thanks for the shoutout!

Went it to do my typical stuff which is "draft good stuff and see what that takes me" and the resulting deck is a UR Midrange with an equipment theme:

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/5fda4d6c16da4f1030968056

The one thing I noticed was, that you run some very efficient EtB vlaue creatures. I found myself justifiying Nekrataal's buy telling myself ow sweet they are in combination with other stuff. But I had to admit, that they were better than many synergies in my list on their own and too good with a simple little synergy like blinking them with Nephalia Smuggler. It is possible that your cube is slightly higher in power level and therefore Chupacabra and friends are fine, but I'd have an eye on them. The same goes for Mulldrifter himself and stuff like Goblin Dark-Dwellers.

ou don't want a completely flat power level, just be sure the indiviual strength of a few cards overshadows the synergy.

Had the same thought, but regarding a completely different set of cards: Grafted Wargear, Meloku the Clouded Mirror, Heirloom Blade, Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin. Totally agree with ravnic here, not something to fix, but something to keep an eye on. I like non-flat power bands.

2/25/21 Cube League Update

Hey everyone!

After a couple months' hiatus from cubing and most Magic in general, tonight I will be back in full force! My group's cube league is firing up again tonight regularly at 8 PM CST. I'll be updating the blog with cube changes and draft reports as we play!

Additionally, I will be experimenting with streaming our drafts. If you'd like to watch gameplay, hear some silly banter, and listen to cube commentary during/between matches feel free to tune in on my Twitch channel!

~~~~ CUBE LEAGUE SEASON 2 ~~~~

My playgroup's spring season of Cube League is live! This post will contain a few design musings on changes I made between seasons and will be periodically updated with top decklists. We play every Thursday, so feel free to tune in on Twitch if you'd like to watch! Additionally, I'll start saving the actual draft portion of the stream and posting draft breakdowns on my channel for some post-mortem commentary. Consider this my cube vlog!

Without further adieu: cube content!

~~~ PRESEASON CUBE UPDATES ~~~

1. Lands Update

Following the advice of @TrainmasterGT, the first thing I did after the end of last season was update my land base Lands archetype. Landfall decks need more help being able to consistently set up a 2-3 trigger turn; three Evolving Wilds variants doesn't quite cut it. Both Landfall and Loam lands decks either do a lot or do nothing. Hopefully, by giving them more lands to work with, this update gives those decks a shot in the arm.

The changes I've made are as follows:

- Cut 1 card from each color and 5 colorless cards to make room for the 10 Fetchlands
- Replaced the 5 ally-colored Bouncelands with the Amonkhet dual cyclers
- Replaced the 5 enemy-colored Painlands with the Horizon Lands

With 15 new lands that sac themselves for value, Life from the Loam , Ramunap Excavator, Crucible of Worlds, and Titania, Protector of Argoth should be much safer picks during the draft, and be able to perform more consistently during games.

2. Breaking Rarity Restriction

I used to try to keep this cube's power level where I wanted it by adhering to a rarity restriction: besides the landbase, only 10% of the inclusions would be Rares. However, after extensive play, I feel that I have a solid grasp of where I want the power level to sit. Besides, making cuts and additions is enough of a headache without such a restriction. What had once been a useful heuristic had become burdensome. So, out the window with it!

This change has allowed me to include cards that offer more support to archetypes that need it, including Lands and some of the less-supported fringe strategies (yay, discard!). Also - the tokens and flicker piles sometimes felt a little too good. Flickering a Whirler Rogue was a surefire way to win a game against most decks. Lifting rarity restrictions allows me to include more sweepers like Planar Outburst, Sunblast Angel, and Living Death. This should help keep the balance a bit more.

3. The Reanimator Package

Ah, Reanimator - the cheatiest archetype, and the one that came together the least often last season. There were just too many pieces! You needed ways to self-mill and pitch creatures from hand, reanimator spells, AND good targets. Too low a density of any of these things - or regular staples like card draw and removal - and your deck would fall completely flat.

While working on another cube design thought experiment, I had an ephiphany: use good targets that put themselves in the 'yard! Waker of Waves already played well with Reanimator spells, so why not lean into that? With the rarity restriction gone, I could add some more goodies for Reanimator and graveyard decks in general. Here are some of the key additions, that join our big blue whale friend:

This week I had the pleasure of playing a Sultai reanimator deck that made use of many of these cards. It felt much better to draft and played much more consistently than past attempts at reanimator in this cube!

~~~ SEASON 2 DECKLISTS ~~~

IZZET COUNTERBURN CONTROL (3-0) --- (3/12/21)

This deck was drafted by yours truly ;). I noticed that Red was wide open in pack 1 and went for it, as well as nabbing a Serum Visions and a couple of other Blue goodies; I also had some decent Black aggressive cards. In pack 2 I picked up some more Red payoffs and went far deeper into Blue, abandoning Black and leaving that lane open.

Ultimately this deck got most of the cards it wanted, leaving me with a gnarly counterspell, burn, and sweeper laden Spellslinger deck that stalled and filtered its way into the late game before winning off of Whirler Rogue, Curator of Mysteries, Dark Dwellers, or a huge Rise From the Tides. The high density of burn spells and Fiery Confluence gave this deck some absolutely insane reach.

None of my matchups were particularly easy, though. Match 2 against an Orzhov sac build kept me on the ropes, and the final match against a nasty Rakdos Aggro pile saw me winning games with my life total perilously close to 0. Ultimately, though, I was able to squeeze out the wins to claim the 3-0, redeeming my lackluster performance from the two weeks prior.

BOROS AGGRO (3-0) --- (3/4/21)

A classic aggro formula tends to win drafts. Would love to see some more Rakdos aggro winning games, though.

That being said, despite Boros consistently putting up good results in this cube, I don't currently feel that it's too overpowered. My Sultai Reanimator deck went 1-2 against it, only barely losing the final game with some unfortunate mana flood and drawing "the wrong part of the deck," aka all spells, no reanimation targets. The deck had some close matches against the Dimir Discard deck that it competed against for the 3-0, too, also going to Game 3 in that match.

All that being said, Boros Aggro may see a bit of a dip (which maybe it needs?) as I work a couple more sweepers into the cube. We'll see!

BANT FLICKER (3-0) --- (2/25/21)

Basatan drafted well by seeing that the Flicker lane was open, and he went into it hard. His deck was pretty gnarly, consistently churning out value every turn with nigh-unstoppable board states. It's inspired me to include a few more sweepers in the cube, just to help deal with the obnoxious Thopter swarms that seem to crop up every draft.

MID-SEASON CUBE UPDATE

After last week's cube draft, the second of our current season, I did some thinking about the format. I came to a realization: token/weenie decks and ETB decks are the most consistently powerful decks in the cube. This does not mean that there are not other decks that exist on the same power level; we've seen some pretty gnarly spellslinger and artifacts piles before. However, these slower decks normally require some sort of sweeper to stay in the game against the aforementioned archetypes, an effect that has been historically very sparse in my cube.

Besides being powered-up by a relatively low density of sweepers, these two archetypes are consistently easy to draft. Some of the more fringe decks/strategies are powerful, but don't have the effect consistency to be drafted consistently. Reanimator faced the same problem, so I sought to address it in the last update. This time around I'll be adding a few more things to help other archetypes show up more consistently.

1. SWEEPERS

Spot removal sucks against token and ETB decks. Hitting a token or a creature with a powerful ETB, e.g. a Mulldrifter or Ravenous Chupacabra, is less than a one-for-one for single target removal. Sweepers not only often create two-for-ones or greater, but also maintain parity against tokens and ETB. So, without further adieu: the shot in the arm that control piles need! Here is the fully updated suite of sweepers in the cube:

2. THE SAGAS AND ENCHANTMENTS UPDATE

I've always thought that Sagas were a cool design space, but to date hadn't included any in my cube. Additionally, I'd tried to include a couple of payoffs for a White "enchantments matter" subtheme that had never really come together and had been considering cutting it altogether. However, I think adding Sagas gives me a new opportunity to push the subtheme. Despite this, I've decided to cut Satyr Enchanter, as he took up a little too much of my multicolor real estate for such a narrow effect; payoffs are now strictly concentrated to the White section.

There are a few more Sagas that I like that may eventually find their way in. For now, here are the Sagas I've opted to include, along with some extra support for W/x Enchantments that should play well with the new cards:

MID-SEASON CUBE UPDATE, CONT.

3. EXTRA GRAVELANDS SUPPORT

{G}{R} lands can come together as a fairly typical landfall beatdown deck, but it can also become a classic "lands in the 'yard" strategy with key cards such as: Life From the Loam, Molten Vortex, Wildfire, Countryside Crusher, Titania, Protector of Argoth, Wildfire, Crucible of Worlds, and Ramunap Excavator. However, at 475 this deck still feels hard to draft. So, I've decided to include a few more choice cards to help increase the density of effects this deck would like to have:

I recognize that Wildfire can also be a deck unto itself without extra lands synergies; hopefully the addition of Burning of Xinye will help it come together more often. I may also want to add another Molten Vortex type effect to help on that front; perhaps a Borborygmos Enraged or Living Twister could be in order for my Gruul section? We'll see!

4. MOAR GOODSTUFF (MISC UPDATES)

Maybe {B} Aggro needs a few more cheap recursive bodies to help it come together consistently. Maybe {U} needs more countermagic in general. Maybe Laboratory Maniac needs another friend to make him somewhat less of a draft trap. Maybe some of my multicolor section actually aren't great incentives or rewards for playing a particular color pair.

All of these are thoughts I've had to myself in this cube before, so I finally pulled the trigger on a slough of cards I've been thinking about for a while. Also, some of these adds are just powerful cards that I think are cool and would like to test. So, buckle up for some new cards!

5. THE FORETELL UPDATE

Foretell is a cool mechanic, but it's hard to run cards with Foretell alone. I decided that I needed at least one per color and looked for places where I could swap similar effects with Foretell cards. Ultimately, I ended up with 7 cards making it into the cube. These are:

6. FRIENDSHIP WITH GRAFTED WARGEAR ENDED

Demonmail Hauberk] is my new best friend now!

Seriously, Grafted Wargear was just way too cheesy. You could always equip it on Turn 3 with no setup besides having a body on the board. There was NEVER a reason to not pick it, as quite literally any deck in the cube can make great use of the card, for either turning random 1/x's into wincons or accelerating existing wincons significantly.

Sure, Bonesplitter is efficient and is probably good in most decks, too. But Wargear commits a few sins that Bonesplitter doesn't:

1) Not having an equip cost. Bonesplitter's is very low - just 1 mana - but that 1 mana can be a huge tempo difference in the early game. Wargear never presents that decision point.
2) +2 toughness boost. Lots of the removal/sweepers in this cube are variants of Shock or Infest (usually with upside). Many of the creatures are 2 power. 3 is the magic number for toughness in this cube - a 3 toughness creature survives a lot more removal and combat than a 2 toughness creature! Bonesplitter is efficient, but it DOES NOT make a creature significantly harder to remove. Oftentimes, Wargear does.

Instead, I've opted to include a similarly powerful card that comes down a turn later and actually requires some setup:

Turning one of the many Spirit or Bird tokens flying around this draft environment into a 5/3 is scary. Curving Lingering Souls into Hauberk seems like a great way to win games. However, Hauberk does ask you to bring bodies to sacrifice, incurring a significant cost, unlike Wargear.

Shoutout to Basatan to suggesting this card to replace Wargear. I think it will perform well!