General Post your 1-2 and 2-1 decklists

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I plan to start a series where I test brewed cube decks (e.g Naya Landfall Aggro with Flagstones of Trokair and Titania) against a gauntlet of other cube decks. For this, I need a gauntlet. We have a large library of 3-0 decks in the other thread, but I would like to also have some more "representative" decks. Anyone have some to post?

If you've done an MTGO or Cockatrice draft with my cube, maybe cross-posting those decks here would also help.

nB6KjKb.png

A 2-1 deck from the inaugural MTGO draft at the start of November.

Aoret

Developer
I don't have one from your cube (other than grid decks) but here's one from mine that I was able to make work with a couple of swaps. The only card you didn't have that the deck definitely needs is the monastery mentor.

2 young pyromancer
1 monastery mentor
1 abbot of keral keep
2 delver of secrets
1 vendilion clique
1 venser, shaper savant
1 counterspell
1 remand
2 mana leak
1 memory lapse
1 daze
2 brainstorm
1 magma jet
1 magma spray
2 lightning bolt
1 brimstone volley
1 bonfire of the damned
1 fact or fiction
1 volcanic island
1 steam vents
1 hallowed fountain
1 sacred foundry
2 arid mesa
2 scalding tarn
2 flooded strand
1 riptide laboratory
1 plains
3 island
2 mountain

edit: fuck deck tags.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

CML

Contributor
I want to talk about unlimited fetches a little.

What does it do to fetchable duals? Would you ever pass them?

What kinds of other lands would you run?

I guess I'm just asking for a sample list which is prob very googleable

what the hell did you lose to a deck with mindtwist? A deck with fewer 4s?
Ramp deck with Karn, Titania + Crucible, Rampaging Baloths, Inferno Titan, Polukranos etc.

Sad lack of maindeck permanent removal led to Karn crushing in the first game. Added Faith's Fetters for the second - as a 4-drop it had been cut from maindeck - but there were too many must answer threats and I didn't draw the answers I needed.

Aoret

Developer
I want to talk about unlimited fetches a little.

What does it do to fetchable duals? Would you ever pass them?

What kinds of other lands would you run?

I guess I'm just asking for a sample list which is prob very googleable

In the absence of wasteland, you probably never pass them. With ubiquitous wastelands they honestly feel like a liability. ULD lands get a lot worse. Manlands are still quite good because most decks can't afford to max out their wasteland count and you can just overload their wastelands eventually. Other ULD stuff you might look at as not being good enough when you could run wasteland instead of some shitty makes-colorless spell land that might do something cool on turn six. Manabase construction feels incredibly skill testing because you want to wring the absolute most utility/consistency possible and it's often difficult to figure out how to min/max that for a given build. There are widespread implications for the format as a whole if you go this route; mostly you need to be okay with pushing your curve lower and having faster games. It's a bit of a bummer that the more marginal ULD stuff gets pushed out, but a very worthwhile sacrifice for the improved quality of games IMO.

I guess it's probably also worth pointing out that it's not unlimited fetches, it's free 4-ofs, but we all know that's effectively unlimited since off color fetches work almost as well. The actual manabase for the deck I listed was 4x scalding tarn and 1x of each of the white splash fetches, but it didn't bother me a bit to change it to 2/2/2 when I adapted my decklist to match Jason's cube.

CML

Contributor
So we need free Wastelands too? This is intriguing.

A friend told me my Cube should be called "the Standard Cube" for obvious reasons. This is getting a lot closer to an actual "Legacy Cube," even beyond Wadds' initial design (wasn't there something else irrelevant called "the Legacy Cube" put out on some awful program too)

Yeah but it was called the legacy cube because it adhered to the legacy banned list, rather than having any playstyle relationship to the format.

oops

What you can learn from this deck is that it's very bad at killing someone who has multiple Eldrazi in their deck.

A 2-0 deck I drafted and played against my brothers last night in a three person draft of my cube. My cube is very similar to yours Jason. This is probably a solid multi-colored aggro list if you want one for the gauntlet.

4-C Zoo

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That's so sad :C What cube has mill cards and eldrazi together? Isn't that super lame? Is this the modo cube?

Well, there are only three eldrazi with a shuffle clause, and the cube is huge, so chances of 'the eldrazi deck' encountering 'the mill deck' are pretty low, so I wouldn't call it super lame. Yes.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
A 2-0 deck I drafted and played against my brothers last night in a three person draft of my cube. My cube is very similar to yours Jason. This is probably a solid multi-colored aggro list if you want one for the gauntlet.

4-C Zoo

Yeah, I only see 2-3 cards in this list that I don't run. No utility lands is also a difference, but this looks like a usable gauntlet list. Thanks!

I had quite a day. I met up with some guys and cube drafted for about ten hours, doing three drafts: a five player with 5 packs of 9, a three player rochester 12 packs of 12, and a four player 5 packs of 9. I have a lot of decklists to post.

For this cube I was doing the experiment of removing protection from the swords. It was generally not well received but I hope it'll grow on people.

The players were myself, M, J, K and A.

Draft 1:

Five players is a bit of an odd number (no pun intended) to draft with, but I think the draft portion was ok. We did ULD with 2 picks each after packs 2 and 4.

Abzan Pod (Aston)

My deck went 1-2, beating 5cc and losing to monored and Cloudpost. The deck did manage to do some cool things in the stalled out games vs 5cc particularly with Mikaeus and the persist creatures. Overall my huge glut at 4 and 5 meant I was a bit too slow to compete with the fast aggro and ramp decks.

Monored (K)

Monored went 1-2, beating Abzan Pod and losing to UB control and Cloudpost. The deck was a bit lacking in one drops and the manabase is a bit questionable, as the Plateau is just a Mountain which dies to Wasteland. Falkenrath Aristocrat was very good, and Flamewake Phoenix held equipment like a champ.

5cc (A)

Unfortunately A had packed their deck away with their basics and utility lands before I got a picture. This was kind of a classic all the colours and all the planeswalkers deck. I know it lost to me but I'm not sure how it managed in the other two rounds.

Cloudpost (M)

The 19 land special. This deck really showcased the power of Cloudpost, as it when 3-0 pretty easily. It was very consistent and Upheaval was extremely effective at stabilising the board. I'll be keeping an eye on the Cloudpost package (which currently costs all 4 ULD picks) in the future.

UB Control (J)

There's one land I can't quite make out on my picture. It looks like it might be a Badlands but I can't see how that would make sense. Anyway I didn't get a chance to play against this deck, which I think beat monored and lost to Cloudpost, not sure of the result vs 5cc. I did overhear vs Monored that in game two a Griselbrand was hardcast and game three was lost to revealing Kozilek, the Great Distortion off Dark Confidant.

Draft 2

A and K took a break to do some standard testing and myself, J and M did a three player Rochester draft. I think this is the best 3 player draft format I've tried, but I still hate playing with three. It's just the worst number to play cube with, and I'm including just messing around with changes by myself! We did not do a ULD for this one.

Temur Ramp (M)

I couldn't make out one of the lands on the picture I took.

As you might be able to tell, M likes to go big. This deck went 1-1, beating my Jund and losing to J's White Weenie. Went straight over me but got outraced by White Weenie in one game and crushed by Cataclysm in the other.

White Weenie (J)

This is the version of the deck after I helped J, who's quite a bit less experienced than the other players, rebuild it after game 1 vs Temur ramp. Somehow he had ended up with 21 lands in the deck, and was playing a lot of expensive cards and Wraths with the white aggro cards. It did win both games in this configuration. Unfortunately I had already played my match against J and although I lost one game to Wasteland assisted manascrew, the other two understably came down to flood on the white deck's part so it's not much use as a data point.

Jund (Aston)

If M likes to go big, I guess I like to go midrange. Weird, since I never play green midrange decks in constructed, but I apparently can't stop myself when it comes to cube. I lost to Temur Ramp in two games, although I forgot to implement my sideboard strategy of cutting red and adding in Duress effects. The first game came down to a point where I could drain my opponent out with Gray Merchant and Recurring Nightmare if I untapped, but instead he played Maelstrom Wanderer, ultimated Garruk, Primal Hunter and ultimated Chandra, Pyromaster.

The games against White Weenie were as I said a bit of a nonfactor, although new addition to the cube Pyreheart Wolf did do some work on the one occasion he was cast.

Draft 3

At this point the people testing Standard/Modern headed off and K rejoined us for a final four player draft. As an aside, whilst I can't stand three player I really like the dynamic of four players with 5 packs of 9.

We did all ULD picks at the end of the draft for this one.

Unfortunately as we were packing up to leave I only managed to snag pictures of two of the decks.

White-Green Aggro (K)

This went 2-1, beating 4cc and Temur Ramp/Cloudpost (M decided that he liked his last two decks so much he just drafted a mashup of both in this one) and losing to my Jeskai deck, although there was a fair bit of manaflood on K's part involved in the two games he lost. Not much to say on this one, except for Collected Company seemed pretty sweet here.

Jeskai Ascendancy (Aston)

There's one more land that I can't make out on my picture, but I'm pretty sure it's another fetch. I went 2-1, beating White Weenie and 4 colour and losing to Temur Ramp/Cloudpost.

This was my favourite deck of the day. I don't really support "storm combo" in my cube, but this deck came pretty close. I killed people several times from 16-20 life in one turn on the back of Ascendany-powered Squadron Hawks or Spectral Procession tokens.

There was also one particularly memorable game where I untapped with Gelectrode and Ascedancy in play and my opponent on 19, and ended the turn with my opponent on 1 and a Rift Bolt on suspend. He responded by Primeval Titaning for Glimmerpost to go to 5, and casting Burning of Xinye and I couldn't close it out. I realised after the game that had I just flipped my Sensei's Divining Top at some point to get an extra Ascendancy trigger instead of suspending the Rift Bolt I would have had the last point of damage I needed, and had I not been rushing due to it being late I think I would have found that line. If it hadn't been for that player error this would have been a 3-0 deck, but hey. Who's counting?

The other two decks I didn't get pictures of were M's Temur Ramp/Cloudpost, with cards like Primeval Titan, Maelstrom Wanderer (M's new favourite cube card), and planeswalkers including Jace TMS and Karn, which went 2-1 beating my Jeskai and 4 colour and losing to Wg Aggro; and J's 4 colour non-red midrange, which had Cataclysm, Smokestack, Sidisi, Brood Tyrant, Lotus Cobra, and some value reanimation. This one went 0-3 and was by J's admission a bit of an experiment with stretching himself beyond two colours, which he hadn't tried before. He did win one great game against me where Cataclysm and Smokestack combined to eat all my permanents.

I think everyone really enjoyed themselves and as far as I could tell most of the games were pretty long but decision dense from the first few turns, which was what I was hoping for. Plus, this was my first draft without Wurmcoil or Grave Titan, and I didn't miss them at all.