{R}{G} Stompy/Big Gruul
{G}{W} Little Kid/Go-Wide

{W}{B} Attrition Aggro/Life Pay
{B}{G} Aristocrats/Death-Matters
{G}{U} Miracle Grow/Ophidian Tempo
{U}{R} Spells-Matter/Artifacts
{R}{W} Artifact Aggro/Tiny Toolbox

wordier posts about my format/goals here

I drafted this WB Aristocrats deck using the listed parameters.

I p1p1 Rally the Ancestors and never looked back. I think the next card that came to me was Angel of Invention. I was worried that it was too expensive for the deck but I stuck with it anyways. I was really excited to see Faith's Reward as I was considering it and Second Sunrise for my own cube since I think it works really well in a deck like this as well as opening up the possibility of having an Eggs type deck. I'm excited to see how it plays out for you.

I think it's funny that one of your goals is to reduce ETB spam but this deck kind of wants to spam ETBs using the graveyard as a roundabout avenue to do that. It kind of feels like a weak version of Recurring Nightmare. I'm not sure if you want this kind of your deck in this format but here it is. Sacrificing a bunch of Splicers and things like Thraben Inspector end of turn and getting them back with Faith's Reward seems pretty good and a lot of fun. I kind of accidentally passed Falkenrath Noble a couple of times but that probably would've been some nice reach for the deck.

If my mana was better I'd definitely be playing Sylvan Library.

When I was drafting I passed Magus of the Disk and afterwards I read the description and I thought, "what combo?" I now realize that a one sided boardwipe would've been really good to have. This deck would've been very spicy with Noble and Magus.

Thanks for the draft! The deck looks pretty sweet; pretty much exactly what I was hoping to see out of {W}{B}! :D

I think perhaps, specifically, I set out to reduce ETB spam in the sense of, "I'm just gonna pile all these sweet new ETB creatures into my list because they're fun", and instead, I tried to re-tool my focus on a much lighter and much more varied power level of ETB effects, with a format that could either abuse them or lean upon them. I've long-deleted my old cube list, but it was an intensely high-pressure, planeswalker-dominated format, where most every creature had a spell attached, reanimator was pushed hard to keep pace with the value-based midrange decks, aggro was pushed hard to keep the midrange decks in check, and anything that didn't have a spell attached had to have an extremely pushed body to even be considered pickable. That kind of format sort of demands decks run 16+ creatures, and control decks revolved entirely around lots of souped-up removal and board wipes. There was no need and no appeal to try and combo with something like Fallen Angel to secure a win, because that card was too grossly underpowered and risky to play; 5 mana and no "reward" was a cute play too ripe for punishment. Compared to that, this new list still certainly has a host of ETB effects and ways to milk more value from them, but it's no longer (hopefully) the case that each creature exerts so much pressure that you need lots of them with spell-bodies to be competitive.

As a matter of fact, your deck showcases the sort of scale ETB effects fall on in my list! We have:
(1) "neat, but wants for synergy" (Miasmic Mummy, Emancipation Angel),
(2) "solid playable, but unexciting" (Thraben Inspector),
(3) "good" (Bone Shredder),
(4) "great" (Blade Splicer, Master Splicer), and
(5) "first-pickable bomb" (Angel of Invention).

Obviously the ranking of those cards varies greatly depending on the context of the deck, but you get my general point. My old list was very heavily tipped towards the 4 and 5-ranked ETBs, so my top goal was to broaden the sort of power level of ETBs that were playable and use less of them. It's quite possible I need to peel back even more, but I kind of like how many different ways there are to try and break the ETB effects (blink, Raise Dead effects, reanimation, tutoring), and the way they help shore up creature-light, combo-style decks, as well.

I get what you're saying about the ETBs and I should've asked meant what you meant by that. I do like your approach to ETBs and I remember someone arguing for them since cards like Flametongue Kavu have always been part of the game. I agree that in these kinds of lists we should focus ETBs on stuff like Extricator of Sin that can do neat things depending on your deck rather than stuff like Grave Titan.

Here is a control deck I tried to put together. I think it came out pretty decently as I have early game interaction, card draw, life gain and some good win conditions.
I'm really low on black fixing, but I'm a sucker for Tasigur :p
I didn't look at the list at all before the draft, but there were definitely some picks I would change if I had to redo.

Regarding blink, I think I saw a few decent targets, but they didn't strike me as oppressive or busted (although Archaeomancer + Ghostly Flicker seems like a nice late game engine).

UWb Control from CubeTutor.com

Sorry about the lack of comments, I'm not one to theory craft very well. I'll just say that it was a fun draft and that there appear to be enough synergy that I would want to try again :)

Boros Tokens from CubeTutor.com

I enjoyed the artifact theme with the tokens. Chromatic Stars being the fast mana of the cube works well with Pia and Kiran and Jor Kadeen in the late game.

Mid-way into the draft I felt like I could easily bypass most of the lower powered cards opting for the good-stuff, but in the end, I was actually a little lean when rounding out my deck.

I would've loved to see a couple pieces of fixing for aggressive strategies...

?

Here is a control deck I tried to put together. I think it came out pretty decently as I have early game interaction, card draw, life gain and some good win conditions.
I'm really low on black fixing, but I'm a sucker for Tasigur :p
I didn't look at the list at all before the draft, but there were definitely some picks I would change if I had to redo.

Regarding blink, I think I saw a few decent targets, but they didn't strike me as oppressive or busted (although Archaeomancer + Ghostly Flicker seems like a nice late game engine).

Thanks for the draft! Soulfire Grand Master looks so great with all those cheap spells :D And you even have Tasigur and Stroke of Genius to help dig up Approach of the Second Sun after it gets tucked from the first cast - sweet!

I enjoyed the artifact theme with the tokens. Chromatic Stars being the fast mana of the cube works well with Pia and Kiran and Jor Kadeen in the late game.

Mid-way into the draft I felt like I could easily bypass most of the lower powered cards opting for the good-stuff, but in the end, I was actually a little lean when rounding out my deck.

I would've loved to see a couple pieces of fixing for aggressive strategies...

?

Thanks for the draft; the build looks solid! Might be time that I find some space for Toolcraft Exemplar, as well.

Based on the test drafts I've been poking around at and some of the builds I've seen so far, I'd hazard to guess that I could pare back the power level a smidge more in some places to avoid that "goodstuff", on-wheels drafting feeling; part of the problem is that I already have so many expensive cards on-hand that I've been a bit hesitant to cut them, especially the ones that are favourites of my drafters, but perhaps I'll need to kill more of my darlings for the health of this format.

As for giving some fixing for aggro decks, I'm hoping to replicate the sort of juncture that Grillo's original Penny Cube project has, where greedy, bigger decks can load up on CIPT lands, which are, as a result, softer to the aggro decks, who avoid too many CIPT lands in favor of faster mana development. I also think that I have an overall higher power level and wider power band than that list; I hope that this can be mitigated slightly by the slower mana base, reigning in sheer degeneracy, which is where my last format was really drowning at. If it looks really necessary, I may add Aether Hub, perhaps two or three of them, but I really want to avoid that avenue and force players to make the tough decisions about how greedy they want to get vs how much they value consistency.

I'd also like to thank everyone else who has been giving the list a try; I'll be drafting everyone's primary cubes a few times in a return! :D

I plan on ordering the missing cards for this later on tonight so I can get some real-world experience with it; if anyone detects any glaring issues or has any recommendations for additions or swaps, or any comments on my outlined "current concerns" in the main post, I'd be eager to hear them. I'll probably do some more tweaking in a few more hours; I'm really anxious to not let this format get "good-stuffy".

I decided to try a ramp deck to see what would happen.
So I P1P1 a Voyaging Satyr and followed it up with a Frantic Search thinking I would abuse bouncelands! Turns out I only saw a few on color so only have 2 and a Fertile Ground. That is only due to variance and I'm sure with only 3 players drafting (instead of 6 like on cubetutor) I would have had more.

Where I failed a bit more was in regards to picking a finisher. I'm used to my multiplayer cubes where they are more plentiful. I passed on a Grim Poppet that would have been awesome here, but that is inexperience of the format.

My only critique was that blue/green was hinting at some discard shenanigans (I had Frantic Search, Wild Mongrel, Noose Constrictor, Jace VP), but the only "payoff" I saw was Curator of Mysteries. I guess Seasons Past can act as a reward for all that discard too.
Also that Plague Myr is bugging me as infect seems so out of place. What am I missing here?

Once again, fun draft. Thanks!

UG ramp (fail) from CubeTutor.com

I decided to try a ramp deck to see what would happen.
So I P1P1 a Voyaging Satyr and followed it up with a Frantic Search thinking I would abuse bouncelands! Turns out I only saw a few on color so only have 2 and a Fertile Ground. That is only due to variance and I'm sure with only 3 players drafting (instead of 6 like on cubetutor) I would have had more.

Where I failed a bit more was in regards to picking a finisher. I'm used to my multiplayer cubes where they are more plentiful. I passed on a Grim Poppet that would have been awesome here, but that is inexperience of the format.

My only critique was that blue/green was hinting at some discard shenanigans (I had Frantic Search, Wild Mongrel, Noose Constrictor, Jace VP), but the only "payoff" I saw was Curator of Mysteries. I guess Seasons Past can act as a reward for all that discard too.
Also that Plague Myr is bugging me as infect seems so out of place. What am I missing here?

Once again, fun draft. Thanks!

Hmm; yeah, you'd definitely have been better off with at least one more bounceland. It looks a little shaky, but you could've probably gone down another land or two here, so I'd probably bring in Crocodile of the Crossing and Wild Mongrel from the side, at least, to help threaten a bit more board presence, although the deck seems overall a little soft, and really wanting for another piece of interaction or a solid equipment to bash in with. Still, that's okay; plenty of worse decks have glided by on the back of massive card draw, which Edric, Spymaster of Trest and certainly provide here!

The {U}{G} discard payoffs are things like Curator of Mysteries, Drake Haven, Kessig Cagebreakers, Splendid Reclamation, Gnaw to the Bone, and Wharf Infiltrator. Wild Mongrel and Noose Constrictor are also pretty powerful creatures to beat down with, as well, if you're feeding them cards (or bluffing that you might), which makes them pretty respectable with even a little synergy.

Speaking of "discard-matters" in {U}{G}, you're also right on the cusp of building a "Baron"-style deck, where the goal is to get your deck down to a core of specific draws that you want and re-use key spells. Seasons Past is a high-power shortcut of this, but Loaming Shaman and Gaea's Blessing are also good tools for that style of deck. As for win-cons, the deck never really decks itself if you set it up right, so you can rely on Stroke of Genius targeting your opponent once or twice for a big draw as a win-con, too (although more bouncelands would've probably helped you accomplish that here)!

Plague Myr is there not for infect as a win strategy, but because it's a mana rock that can put -1/-1 counters on your opponent's stuff. If you buff its power, it can really eat through your opponent's boardstate, and being both an artifact and a creature means it can be tossed around and re-used through a few means. Most often, of course, it's just a chump-blocking mana rock that de-buffs whatever it blocks permanently or maybe even trades, which is pretty solid, too.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Really enjoying some of these cards choices:

UB Control from CubeTutor.com

Moonlight bargain seems so smart, and I really like selection of defensive threes for these types of decks. Graveborn marauder seems like a really good pick. I like the idea of platinum angel, and am curious about how she plays out.

Whats the draft approach you use? Seems smart to run a 340 cube.

Some of the mythics are probably a bit pushed, but I'm really curious to hear how they work in these mana setup.

Really enjoying some of these cards choices:

Moonlight bargain seems so smart, and I really like selection of defensive threes for these types of decks. Graveborn marauder seems like a really good pick. I like the idea of platinum angel, and am curious about how she plays out.

Whats the draft approach you use? Seems smart to run a 340 cube.

Some of the mythics are probably a bit pushed, but I'm really curious to hear how they work in these mana setup.

Thanks for the feedback! As I'm sure is quite obvious, this project is largely thanks to me drooling over the Penny Pincher and being frustrated with my high-powered list not offering much depth, so, I'm glad to get your eyes on it and see a non-negative initial response! :D

Our primary draft method is a modified Glimpse/Burn style, utilizing 7 packs of 15 cards for each player (3). editing note: 7 packs is much too many. trying a method with 5 packs these days that I like better.
  1. Draft a card from your pack. Then:
    1. If you've drafted 3 cards this round, go to Step 2.
    2. If you've drafted 6 cards this round, go to Step 3.
    3. If neither of the above conditions are true, pass the pack and go back to Step 1.
  2. There should be 12 cards left in the pack. Count to be sure! If there are, turn the pack face-down, shuffle it, and discard 3 cards from the pack. There should be 9 left now. Count to be sure! Then, pass the pack and go to step 1.
  3. There should be 6 cards left in the pack. Count to be sure! If there are, discard the rest of the pack, wait for everyone to finish this drafting round, and then move to the next pack.
At the end of the draft portion, each player will have 42 cards.

We experiment often (my current experiment is determining if 15-card packs or 12-card packs are better for the draft), but it's what we've liked best so far. Seeing 92% of the cube is such an extraordinary step up from the 70%ish we were playing with before, but I could see adding more cards or reducing the pack sizes and the cube size a bit more if this doesn't quite hit the mark. We'll see how it holds up over the next few months.

I definitely have some concerns about the power level of some of the pieces in the list, but I'm having a hard time finding more reasonable analogs while also not tipping the decks out of competitiveness. And of course, I'm trying my best to keep Planeswalkers, which is probably unwise, but, here I am, doing it anyway.. :rolleyes:

In particular, I worry about {R}{B}, and just {B} in general. The multicolor section leaves a bit to be desired in some spots, but Falkenrath Aristocrat, Yahenni, Undying Partisan,Sidisi, Undead Vizier, and Descent of the Dragons... all provide a bit too much beef to the sacrifice decks, probably. I think making some changes to {R}{B} first might be the correct strategy, because {B}{W} also does some sweet things as a sacrifice pair, but it's a real dilemma finding worthwhile cards for those guild slots. Angel of Sanctions might also be a little much, and Mother of Runes, for that matter. Sublime Archangel and Mirrorwing Dragon are also pushing it, but Sublime a favourite around these parts, so I've been reluctant to cut her, and Mirrorwing has so much potential to add a new angle to {R} aggro decks or as a control piece. There's a tipping point between "fun" and "busted", though, and this is a very different environment than what I'm used to maintaining. I'm guessing I've missed the mark at least once.

Do you see any particular cards that scream "cut me or else" (aside from the 'walkers), or that I should just keep an eye towards?

Started with mentor P1P1 but shifted a bit towards more of a cycle Drake Haven thing. Did a few gold fishes. Seems OK. I was worried because fixing is bad but the chromatic stars plus cycling really helps (I also avoided most double mana costs). I don't know how fast your meta is, so this could be too low impact but it seems fun sequencing plays. Couple of times I wanted to save cyclers for haven but felt like I was making suboptimal plays (that happens with Astral Slide too). It's similar with mentor where you really want to back load spells, but you can't always do that without just time walking yourself for the first few turns.

Mentor Haven from CubeTutor.com

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The two mythics that seems like they would immediately be a problem to me were falkenrath aristocrat and sublime archangel. Kia and Pia seem like very safe picks.

UR seems like its identity has to be rooted in tempo, because all of its removal is naturally conditioned and can become dead. In that sense its somewhat similar to UG, though to a greater extreme, as UG has to be be able to win the game purely off of pressure and boardstate disruption. UR at least can be a control deck in certain matches, or at certain points in a game.

And thats fine, but a bit unsatisfying, and its fairly easy to mis-draft that deck. I almost feel like UG is the better theoretical artifact shell, since one of that colors draft pits is the ramp deck, but failing to go into a third color. In that context, colorless artifacts that can control the board are very helpful: the trisk family, masticores, icy's etc. I kind of feel like straight UR really wants to use red's tools to quickly and brutally end the game, in the event that its control plan is being outsized. Not sure the extent that artifact recursion practically plays into that, since that suggests a more grindy gameplay style, which UR is often times poorly equipped to win in those spots. Unless of course, the artifacts that we are finding/recurring are dealing the necessary cumulative damage to maintain a control style of gameplay/closing things out.

I really have liked this guy in these style of decks, even though I've always had a difficult time emphasizing a true artifact deck in UR. Welder is always very fragile, and the other red payoff cards seem underwhelming.

Big cheap evasive threat that can come in under counter protection, and the pump on it has a tremendous ceiling, which can combo-kill an opponent out of nowhere in conjunction with red's damage enhancers:

Charmbreakers are somewhat similar. The other way is via horizontal board makers (rise from the tides/talrand) and running that with bushwhacker effects (or insult // injury, which seems amazing for this deck) that have the appeal of being transmutable targets with all-star muddle the mixture, who can also grab starstorm.

Daretti with gearhulk is maybe fine though. I always felt like that package in UR wanted Thoptor Spy network, in order to create a sort of flying moat, but even than, a UW artifact flyers deck seems like the more natural fit, since you have that thoptor lord, and white is better at manipulating baubles with on plan evasive threats anyways. And there we go again with another color combination being able to do the same thing, more distinctly.

I think a part of the problem is that the design for a lot of the reasonable red cards that care about artifacts are essentially big dragons (probably for flavor reasons) so it always felt like (to me) that the main role of the artifacts was sort of to enable a control finisher, which is fine, but doesn't do a lot to address URs main issues, nor does it really give it a distinct feeling--its just a kind of matchup inconsistent control deck whose finisher cares about artifacts. Certainly good enough, since you can BREAD it, but a bit uninspired.

So stream of thought, but no clear resolution: sometimes their are no clear answers for the problems with these color pairs until we get new printings. Until than, I guess I feel like its gameplan is one based around scaled damage generation. So maybe its a question of how to make that damage generation feel distinct, combining blue selection/draw/disruption alongside red's creature and damage suite. Maybe the ideal solution would be discard for value--blue // red madness--and than taking advantage of spells in the yard, either via rise from the tides etc., or from flashback.

Don't think enough of those spells exist, however.

Had a lot going on lately, which has resulted in me lapsing on draftbacks and finishing this cube. Too many irons in the fire! I'm looking to rectify that today.

Been thinking about adding in a Lands-Matter package to white, which gives it a form of "pseudo card-quality", in the sense that "dead draws" in the late game (lands) can be transformed into a spell-like resource (landfall triggers). I wanted to dip it into blue to try and tip the balance away from {R}{G} being the "land colors" alone, which feels unnecessarily isolated. Obviously Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper deserves a mention in a talk about lands, but he's not exactly the sort of Lands-Matter I had in mind, and the Awaken cards in white and blue are so uninspired, leaving Halimar Tidecaller also out of the discussion.

For land-seeking tools, white offers:

Quite a lot to unpack. Land Tax feels too powerful here, but Weathered Wayfarer and Oreskos Explorer seem alright, both benefiting in a bounceland format by pushing sequencing decisions. Knight of the White Orchid is great, but {W}{W} is a bit much, whereas Kor Cartographer is a solid card that has dreadful art. Tithe and Gift of Estates are acceptable, but too boring, and in a format with a lot of discard going on, Planar Birth is begging to be blown out by the opponent breaking the symmetry better than you at instant speed. No thanks. This leaves us with some tough options in Weathered Wayfarer and Oreskos Explorer as potential enablers, with Kor Cartographer an unpleasant, but also suiting, third option.

The landfall triggers themselves are quite nice, though. Retreat to Emeria and Emeria Angel both look appropriate to the environment; though I'm still not fully convinced where I want tokens, I know that white needs them, as it often struggles for a compelling identity in cube. {W}{B} looks good here, and {W}{R} is decently interesting, but {W}{G} and {W}{U} still leave something to be desired. Tokens are a worthwhile intersection for the former three, and, most importantly, it ties very well with the land-collecting tools in {G}. This could also justify moving Knight of the Reliquary back into the list, which herself ties in nicely with the Noose Constrictor and Wild Mongrel available in the 2-drop slot. This presents some exciting implications for the curve, and also reinforces an unexpectedly Naya formation for a lands deck.

Moving up the curve, Admonition Angel is a potent weapon that wants to play a control game. I'm exceptionally wary of fliers and powerful curve-toppers in this list of tiny tool creatures and spicy spells, but at the same time, I feel compelled to offer exciting buildarounds, especially to white, and this might fit the bill. Demanding {W}{W}{W}, as well as lands to power the engine, is quite a tall ask. As a 6/6 flier, she's a significant amount of heft, though; perhaps more than I want in a removal engine. I'm not too satisfied with my white top-end, though, so I'm considering it. At the bare minimum, it seems less swingy than Sublime Archangel, who comes out earlier and is easier to splash for, which we eliminated a few days ago for being too strong. It would also be a welcome swap from Angel of Sanctions, who just feels a little dull. As for our other big angel, Emeria Shepherd looks a little too underpowered for my list, I think, and not terribly exciting, but I'm considering it.

Blue offers the following land interaction:

Grillo's post about Trade Routes has had me chewing on it for the past few days. The rest of the options are significantly less enchanting, however; Guardian of Tazeem feels perhaps a little dull, Meloku the Clouded Mirror is too strong, Roil Elemental competes poorly with Admonition Angel. Roil Elemental is also yet another exciting blue card, and {U}{B} already looks like the best pair, so I'm loathe to do anything that isn't straight-out downgrading. We also have Uyo, Silent Prophet, but she just feels a little confused here. I'm not sure that landfall itself has legs here, but I could see Deprive and Trade Routes as subtle tools that help both the land decks and the discard decks.

Sort of a stream of consciousness, and no closer to where we want to be; a stronger {U}{W} intersection than "blink", "fliers", and "artifact-matters". But that's alright; not every idea is going to have legs. Sometimes, it's just a matter of waiting for WOTC to make the necessary printings. What I'd really like is Hour of Devastation bringing us some more cycling payoffs, especially in {W}; an updated Astral Slide is probably something they're aware the playerbase would like, since it's such a beloved and iconic card, and if they lower the power level as I'd expect them to in an effort to compensate for adding an "or discard" clause to it, it might work perfectly in the {W}{U} blink deck. Fingers crossed, right?

As usual, my personal life is getting wildly in the way of my hobby, stalling out this project's completion. :rolleyes: And I still owe a great many return drafts.. My apologies!

I've cut out all the non-artifact duplicates; now, I'm just running 5 Chromatic Star and double bounceland as singleton breaks. The hardest cut was Voyaging Satyr number two, who I was quite fond of.. But I find duplicates have an odd effect on the environment if they're in the color sections.

Also cut the cube down another 20 cards, to 320. I'm not sure if this change will last; it shrinks the variance down too far, I think. I may patch back in 10 more cards at least, or alter the method with which we draft, to compensate, but I was tired of the multicolor cards that were either pushed or just chaff, so, out they go. I'll miss Kaya, Ghost Assassin most of all.. :(

My biggest problem at this point: there seems to be far too many tokens. The removal count is a bit high, as well, so I'm wondering if this issue will be self-correcting. All the same, I'm hoping I can peel some out and focus them even further. The problem is that black has a lot of interest in zombie tokens, white desperately wants tokens as its offensive angle to tie it to {U} and {B}, and there are a lot of rather exciting multicolor token producers these days to run. They also give games some inevitability, which I like to offer a lot of opportunities for, given that historically, it felt a little too easy to build a control deck. I hope I've gone a good ways to combating that here.

I'm also at a loss for the fact that red and black continue to entice me with exciting, lower-powered top end cards, whereas green feels notably left out. I find myself constantly re-adding and re-cutting cards from red and black specifically, whereas green seems to be languishing on the vine. The problem is that many of green's lower-powered top ends either produce tokens (already I have too many in the list) or they have hexproof, which I have concerns about. Scaled Behemoth or Lumberknot feel like fun includes here, but I worry about green too easily building The Abyss. I guess there are enough ways to play around one big, bad creature, but in a list that offers a few sources of trample and evasion, I'm a little concerned about how much I can add. I may try them out anyway, but I'm not certain it's the correct choice.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Drafted a few decks and they look really fun. One thing that stood out across multiple drafts is a shortage of big things to Weld into; Trike and Grim Poppet are fine but outclassed by each colour's best finishers, and Platinum Angel is very all-or-nothing. I'm not sure what I'd recommend though, as I've had this problem myself even without the same power level considerations.

Update Time!

I've made a lot of changes that haven't been documented to date, but I figured I'd start with my downsizing into a 300-card list.

{W} White {W}
Out:

In:

White needed another piece of flexible removal, and some more oomph to the late game. Both Archangel of Tithes and Sentinel of the Eternal Watch help white leverage some tremendous pressure in the mid- and late-game, which should help the color to close out matches better. Leaving us is perennial Not-It-Girl, Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit, who felt underwhelming here once again with so many other better ways to provide counters (although if I was being honest, the real nail in the coffin was most likely her lack of synergy with token creatures). Master Splicer #2 leaves us, but #1 is still here to stay, and I may bring back the second one at some point; it's a really fun card to double up on.

{U} Blue {U}
Out:

In:

Blue's control game was a bit too strong, and Hour of Eternity was doing a bit more work than I wanted. These swaps help center it back towards tempo plays with Silent Departure, bolster the ninja plan with Siren Stormtamer, and provide another exciting game-ender/token piece with Followed Footsteps.

{B} Black {B}
Out:

In:

Cutting Corpse Churn to weaken black's self-reliance somewhat; black doesn't need to feed its own graveyard plans; that's what green and blue are for! :p Will-o'-the-Wisp provides a powerful roadblock for slower decks and another good piece for the ninja deck. It just barely gets in thanks to the rules reminder text; I abhor regeneration when it isn't spelled out, as it always gets misunderstood...

{R} Red {R}
Out:

In:

Peeling out some niche pieces and slapping in a big ol' spicy piece of dino beef!

{G} Green {G}
Out:

In:

Green had a little too much recursion going on before, and Thundering Spineback, while a serviceable mana sink, didn't feel necessary. I brought in two flip 1-drops; I used to hate flip cards, but Ixalan has finally broken me down, and I'm a begrudging member of FlipTown now.

{c} Artifacts {c}
Out:

In:

Peeling out the artifact reanimator package from red earlier (which was simply doing too much as a color on its own before) has made some of these cuts rather easy. I may walk them back at some point if I re-include Goblin Welder, but a lot of these were just poorly received by my group (except Manor Gargoyle - that card is a lot of fun). I'm down to 4 Chromatic Star now, which seems more appropriate with just 3 players.

{U/B} Multicolor {B/R}
Out:

In:

Trying out some different multicolor pieces in {U}{B} and {B}{R}; there was nothing wrong with Havengul Lich aside from maybe being a smidge strong, but I felt like mixing things up. I just don't like anything in {R}{B}; it's all either too powerful, too weak, or off-theme! I'm trying Olivia Voldaren right now, which looks to be kind of a bomb here, but I didn't like Falkenrath Aristocrat being so hard to take down. I want my multicolor cards to be spicy and loudly signal themes, and though Olivia fails at theme signalling, she very loudly offers spice!

On lands: cutting the size from 330->300 has let me cut a cycle of fixing lands and bring in 2x Aether Hub, which looks great with the bouncelands. I now have 38 fixers, which is 12.6% of the cube. I may need to fiddle that number upwards at some point, but I'm hoping it'll be serviceable.

Sad to see some of those cuts but switching things up keeps it fresh and what you're bringing in looks good. On fixing, you might be ok at 12% even if ideal math says it's higher. Presumably this is a little slower and more forgiving being bounceland focused. Another benefit with that as a base.

Maybe you posted this already (it's late where I am and I'm too tired to read back through the blog) but how are you usually drafting with 3 people? That has always been very awkward for me and I've yet to find anything I like.

Funny you should ask about drafting method - I just posted a write-up of it, but in someone else's thread.. :p Silly to think it's not even in my own yet! I've lifted the text to post back here, for better organization.

Draft 1, pass, draft 1, pass, draft 1, shuffle face-down and discard 2, then pass. (10 cards left in the pack)
Draft 1, pass, draft 1, pass, draft 1, shuffle face-down and discard 2, then pass. (5 cards left in the pack)
Draft 1, pass, draft 1, pass, draft 1, discard the last 2

So basically, before you get back the pack you opened yourself, 2 cards get randomly burned from it, and you've had a chance to pick 1 card from each pack. It's easy enough to remember to count the packs as you pass imo, but it does require a bit of vigilance before the routine sets in.

I like this method a lot more than other burn variants I've encountered because
1) everyone gets to pull from a pack once after its opening/each burn session, increasing accessibility to archetypes tremendously
2) taking 3 picks from a pack makes it decision-intense; I've tried taking just 2 before from more packs and found it was quite a slog to go through so many packs, but 3 picks from 5 seems timely enough, and like a good number of first picks
3) burning 2 at a time randomly before the pack goes back to its owner conceals what everyone is picking into somewhat, and forces players to hate-draft explicitly if they want to eliminate something from the pool, increasing opportunity cost

You could try modifying it to your taste but I'm a strong proponent of random burning, because I found (at least in my playgroup) that the hate-drafting portion of choosing what gets eliminated from the packs tends to put everyone in the same 3 colors or hoses a strategy that someone has accidentally picked too obviously into.. :rolleyes:

I like that. I've never done burn drafting but I didn't like how effortless it looked to hate strategies. Random makes more sense. I'd think you still run into signal issues right? Because you don't know what got burned vs intentionally selected. Maybe when the pack owner gets it back they look then random burn instead of the third person? At least then you'd know what got taken in your pack through the first pass?

I like that. I've never done burn drafting but I didn't like how effortless it looked to hate strategies. Random makes more sense. I'd think you still run into signal issues right? Because you don't know what got burned vs intentionally selected. Maybe when the pack owner gets it back they look then random burn instead of the third person? At least then you'd know what got taken in your pack through the first pass?
I think this is how I'm going to try it (scaled to four), cuz giving everyone that chance to see how the picks are going is nice, and it's no extra effort: just have the next picker random burn then pick like you say.

Letting players see their pack before the random burn misses the point of the method. The whole point of random burning before someone gets their pack back is to cloud what everyone is drafting into, which messes with signalling somewhat - and I consider that a positive.

The less drafters you're playing with, the more of an advantage the cube designer has; you always know what's in your list better than even your most regular drafters, so you're always in the best position to read signals and draft accordingly. The same applies to anyone in your group who is an exceptionally good drafter, who will easily read signals from a small group and start picking against the less-skilled drafters more efficiently.

Though this is a popular idea to promote in traditional limited and 8+ player drafts, I don't view this as a desirable course of events for a smaller player pool in cube. It is my intention that players start directly competing once the matches start, not before. After all, unlike traditional limited, weaker drafters can't always lean on bomb picks to best their more skilled peers; a well-balanced cube makes that sort of "lucky break" a lot less likely. And I'm drafting with people close to me, not strangers or acquaintances; I don't get my fun from stomping them because I was smarter than them about drafting, I get my fun by having an engaging series of games where we're each standing some chance of winning based on our ability to assemble an effective strategy and protect it from disruption.

So I don't view the draft portion as something that should be an intense intellectual game against your fellow drafters; this is why I don't like sideboard spec tech like Disenchant. I don't want that to be the point where the competition is held. Instead, the draft portion of a cubing session is something I present as a puzzle of trying to assemble a strategy out of a contested pool; there's a vague sense of competition during this, but it's not explicit or directed. I prefer to save the explicit competition for the actual games, where you match wits with your opponents to test the validity of your strategy and sideboard as you can. I don't like letting the competition bleed too heavily into the draft portion, as that can mean games lose competitiveness before they are even played. But that's just my take - YPMV (Your Philosophy May Vary).

Now, though the signalling is not as strong in the traditional sense, there's still signalling - and I think it's the good kind, personally. Instead of noticing what particular colors and pieces are disappearing, a player can instead notice what powerful cards are wheeling easily, or what color is most present at the end of packs. This allows an astute drafter to detect what's open and pick into their own strategy accordingly, rather than allowing them to easily track what their opponents might be in and what they need to pick against. If I pass God-Pharaoh's Gift, I'm not sure who might pick it or if it'll get burned, but once the pack comes back, if it's gone, I'm absolutely picking Abrade very highly. If I pass two black removal spells and neither comes back, I'm looking a lot more enthusiastically at Shelter. This is the sort of drafting relationship I want to foster; where you plan to protect your strategy and develop it, rather than to explicitly plan to disrupt someone else's. As someone who has drafters of varying skill levels, I think this leads me to more fun than when I can read traditional signalling in a draft, but again, YPMV, so feel free to do whatever most appeals to you and your group.

Update Time!

Yeah, it's a lot.

{W} White {W}
Out:

In:

(Worth noting: I'm using the Knight of the Kitchen Sink with protection from two-word names.)

White gets a gentle power level jiggle and gets a complete reorientation towards artifacts. Unstable really gave us some spicy artifacts through Contraptions, as well as cards that care about artifacts more generally. I'm really pleased with this shift. Worth noting: By Gnome Means can create +2/+2 counters and -2/-2 counters, and we've determined to house rule that blaze counters (from Obsidian Fireheart) are functional when created by it, as well.

{U} Blue {U}
Out:

In:

Blue is every honest cube designer's worst nightmare to balance. Here I've opted to completely remove the ramp package, which was really just generating a very brutally efficient permission deck that I didn't feel comfortable terrorizing my drafters with anymore. On this note, I've also adjusted the counterspell suite and turned some of the generic value plays into Contraption-makers. Also noteworthy is that I've bolstered evasive strategies just a smidge and brought in some stealing effects with Spy Eye and Five-Finger Discount, which my players were very excited over. We're a bit bummed to see Drake Haven go, but it was a hoop too many in my current list, so it hits the bench.

{B} Black {B}
Out:

In:

Black gets some numbers smoothing, as well as a downgrade in removal into both more conditional effects and deathtouch bodies. I still think black is probably a bit too strong overall, but it's going to take some playtesting with these changes to decide what to do about that.

{R} Red {R}
Out:

In:

(Worth noting: I'm using the Garbage Elemental that assembles a contraption and has undying.)

Red gets some realignment to offer both spicy aggressive pieces for the low-curve decks and meaningful late-game control cards. I also tried to power down the burn package somewhat, as it felt a little excessive.

{G} Green {G}
Out:

In:

Green is always my naughty child. I think this is a good effort at recalibrating both its midrange, aggro, and control variations, and I'm excited to see what Grim Flowering can do here. I've also introduced a lot of strong fight (and fight-esque) effects here, which I'm hoping to see played in tandem with the new deathtouch wave sweeping through black.

{c} Artifacts/Colorless {c}
Out:

In:

Too many card quality pieces were bloating this section and turning players off some of the more fiddly business.

{U/B} Multicolor {B/R}
Out:

In:

A recent post by ahadabans has me reconsidering the power ceiling I'm tolerating in my gold section. Given this, I'm bringing in the obviously-quite-powerful Grusilda, Monster Masher, Huntmaster of the Fells, and Mirari's Wake. Huntmaster is almost certainly a mistake, but the other two are probably just about right for multicolored 5-mana spells that simply give you a workshop to generate a win-con from. We'll see how this goes.

Big swaps! Looks like a welcome lowering of power level though difficult to comment on the unstable additions as I don't really have any experience of how they play out.

Could I ask how your two treasure pirates played out?

Big swaps! Looks like a welcome lowering of power level though difficult to comment on the unstable additions as I don't really have any experience of how they play out.

Could I ask how your two treasure pirates played out?

They're great cards, they're just not what the format needed. They play pretty great, because even if you're not interested in artifacts specifically they're still providing one-shot ramp + fixing in blue, which is pretty exciting, and they've both got bodies that control decks want. I saw Sailor of Means a bit more often, but that's moreso a matter that blue's top-end was dumb-powerful enough to bump Prosperous Pirates to the sideboard more often than not, rather than a fault of the 5-drop specifically. I always review edits with my drafters and both of those treasure pirates got allocated to the "bring back later" sideboard, so I fully expect to see them again at some point. Definitely recommend them.