RiptideLab's Most Liked Posts of 2016

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Hello fellow Lab Maniacs!

Since the reception to this post last year was so great I decided to do it again, since I had all the code and whatnot already set up.

I was going to do all the posts that had 10+ likes, but there are 21 posts with 10 likes, and considering there are only 35 more above that, that almost doubles the workload. If anyone is interested into what there posts are I can post them later on.

Disclaimer:
Same as last year, I scraped this data on the 3rd of January 2017. The likes may have changed due to new members only just reading them (probably due to this post). A decent amount of these posts are very context-dependant, so if you don't get something, post it in this thread and we can help decipher it for you.

But without further ado, here are the most liked posts of 2016:

11 Likes:
35. GiftsForgiven - An Off-Topic thanks
34. Grillo_Parlante - The Spiral
33. Grillo_Parlante - Owning a salt mine and providing self-help
32. Rasmus Källqvist - Spoiling Body Double

12 Likes:
31. Aston - Topical Riptide reference
30. Eric Chan - LSV and Tempo
29. James Stevenson - Flying Crane Technique
28. japahn - Why I am going Low Power
27. Jason Waddell - Top 10 Temples
26. Kirblinx - Riptidelab's Most Liked Posts of 2015 (Heh)
25. Kirblinx - Categorizing efficiency of creatures
24. Kirblinx - Understanding Cube Contest Guidelines
23. sigh - Spoiling Filigree Familiar

13 Likes:
22. Alphez - Why the devil seems good
21. Chris Taylor - What is Ajani doing on Kaladesh?
20. Chris Taylor - #VampireWhiteHawk
19. Dom Harvey - Dom's Stream of Consciousness
18. Eric Chan - The size of new spoilers
17. Grillo_Parlante - Emotional Spikes in Cube design
16. Laz - Using Brainstorm to make your players feel smart
15. Onderzeeboot - Commander 2016 land update
14. Rasmus Källqvist - *Rattles swear jar*

14 Likes:
13. Eric Chan - Jason owns a website (apparently)
12. James Stevenson - Calling Eric Chan
11. James Stevenson - Diakonov's reward
10. japahn - Modern Masters 2015 - Director's Cut
9. shamizy - Archetype Spotlight: B/W Humans
8. terminus - Pushing the Peasant Cube Contest entry

15 Likes:
7. Kirblinx - Repping my favourite forum at work
6. Onderzeeboot - Skysoveriegn + Samuel L Jackson
5. Onderzeeboot - Why Riptider's run multiple Brainstorms
4. Safra - Encourage creativity in deckbuilding

16 Likes:
3. Diakonov - Recreating the Gamestate to your Will
2. vennythekid - Your Patronus Is...

17 Likes:
1. genericco - Forbidden Words 2016

So congrats to genericco for having post most enjoyed by the RipLab community.

Here are some random tidbits that I found interesting:
  • 16. Laz - Earliest post to make the list (2 Jan);
  • 7. Kirblinx - Latest post to make the list (1 Dec); I swear I didn't do that on purpose.
  • September and July were the best months for likes with 6 entries in this list each.
  • February was the worst with none (although there is one post with 10 likes that deserves a mention)
  • 4. Safra - Keeps her mantle as the best non-shitpost (although it still veers away at points)
  • 10. japahn and 9. shamizy are the most liked OPs (and the next two best non-shitposts)
  • 19. Dom Harvey is the most liked post in the Cube Blogs Forum (and well deserved)
  • 26. Kirblinx - Most liked post in the General Discussion Forum. (I did this one on purpose though)
  • All of James's top posts (11, 12, 29) consist of 0 words.
I think my personal favourite post was 10. The MM2015 Director's Cut had a lot of thought put into it, gave me a lot to think about and was really engrossed into reading the whole thing.

Thanks for being such a great community and having a great year last year. Here is to doing it all again this year. I might add some more random stats like I did last year in later posts, but for the time being you can all relive all the glory from last year.

The question I want to ask is what was your favourite post from last year?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Thanks for the great feedback so far (sorry about being so Reddit minded Chris :p), but last year I remember Jason saying how he prefers quantity over quality, so I wondered who was the most frequent forum goer last year.

So after scraping the 16,047 posts from last year, here is how many posts everyone did last year.

Posts Per User in 2016
FskIwHV.png
Make of it what you will. I feel like the forum draft and the like might have buffed some post counts unnaturally, but overall it gives a good representation of who were the biggest contributors to the forum throughout last year. Here's to hoping that some of the newest members can break the top 20 this year.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Holy crap, that's a sizeable lead o_O Guess I'm the resident shitposter now :)

Also, that list reminds me, Mad Prophet certainly was my favorite new poster this year. I just love his in character responses to just about every topic and the weird layout of (most of) their posts :D

http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/gbs.45/page-69#post-65843
http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/too-many-lands.1521/
http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/too-many-lands.1521/page-3#post-64660

As for my favorite post, I really loved the spontaneous poetry session in response to a limerick I posted: http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/too-many-lands.1521/page-4#post-64711

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
neat, i missed this last year and i had to look up the thread
is there any way you could do this retroactively for 2014 and 2013

http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/riptide-labs-most-liked-posts-of-2015.1132/ here's the 2015 thread for those that missed it like me at the time

It's nice to know that they are useful to people, which is the while idea as to why I decided to make these posts in the first place.

In regards to doing the most liked posts of 2014 and 2013, I sort of alluded to it in the 2015 thread:
Since I had all my files open to make the post above I thought I would look through and post some of the highest posts before 2015 (as there really isn't enough to warrant their own thread)

Pre-2015 most liked posts (10 Likes)

1. Tom - I Built a Box!
2. Suicufnoc - Vinelasher Quirion Predator Pridemate

Here is the currently most liked post from this year (keep in mind I haven't scraped since the 7th of Jan, this may have also changed)

Current 2016 most liked post (13 Likes)

1. Laz - Brainstorm and Making Decisions Matter
I can do a top 10 for each of those years if you would like, just that not many likes were given out in the years prior to 2015, as Jason had alluded to in this post:
It should be noted that nothing before 2015 stands a chance, because you guys became obsessed with liking posts this year.

iYbCtM8.png

Also, on another note, people are obsessed with posting these days. For the first time we had a week where every single day saw more than 100 new posts created.
If it still interests you guys to figure out the top 10 for the couple of years previous I can do it, just tell me if I should throw it in a new thread or not, or just add it into this thread.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Due to overwhelming demand (2 people) I did the top 10 most liked posts for the previous years.

Most Liked Posts of 2014
8 Likes:
10. Anotak - Even MaRo Agrees
9. Grillo_Parlante - Analysis of a Morph Heavy Format
8. Grillo_Parlante - Hypnotic Specter and Winter Orb
7. Jason Waddell - Legacy Troll Delver Video
6. Jason Waddell - Jason's Proxied Commander Deck
5. Jason Waddell - Dreams of Riptide Future
4. Rasmus Kallqvist - How Servers are Born
3. Shamizy - A Beautiful Commissioned Box

10 Likes:
2. Tom - I Built a Box!
1. Suicufnoc - Vinelasher Quirion Predator Pridemate

So it looked like the top couple hadn't changed since I showed them last year.

Let's see if we can get anything from the previous year...

Most Liked Posts of 2013
6 Likes:
9. Changeling Bob - In D&D you are Just a Ship
8. Dom Harvey - More CML and Libertarianism
7. Dom Harvey - Breedingpool.Gov
6. Jason Waddell - James's Custom Tokens
5. Jason Waddell - CML and Libertarianism
4. Jason Waddell - Card Preview Pessimism

7 Likes:
3. Lucre - Race and Class
2. CML - Self Hatred

8 Likes:
1. Jason Waddell - End of Year Awards

I like to think that this thread wouldn't exist without Jason's End of Year Awards thread, so I guess it is fitting for it to be the most liked post in the first year of RipLab. Also, the early RipLab inside jokes were a lot more 'Libertairianism' when CML was around.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
You're really letting us wait that long? ;)

I'm trying not to write 2017. Getting used to writing the new date :p

Everyone is happy enough with the format of how I write it, yes? Do I need to elaborate or anything?
Heck, would anyone else like to write it up if I give them the data?

I started scraping the data tonight (since my code seems to still be working), and started with the Cube Blogs forum, and geez, Grillo seemed to get a lot of 4+ likes with his new Penny Pincher Cube thread.
Cube Talk is the main issue, it takes quite a while to scrape through everything there. That is where all the gold lies, mainly because that is pretty much where everyone looks and posts.

At this rate I may have it up before the weekend.