General Rivals of Ixalan (RIX) Spoilers

Lol that Elder Dinosaur seems like the most win more card ever, right? Ahead on board? Be even MORE ahead on board for cheap!

Like, this is the most ridiculous Aggro card ever? Curve out one mana 2/1, two mana 3/2, three mana 3/2, and you can drop him on curve T4?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
784c94f2-b7a8-4c2c-b445-c9364fa4bb6c-png.1502

My inner 6-year old wants this card NOW

The adult man tells him to not be stupid, because this card doesn't do much for my cube.

I loved dinosaurs as a kid. Was obsessed actually. But for some reason I cannot get into them in Magic. I don't know why.

Some of Ixalans dinos aren't far away from what they probably looked like
They ent a little overboard with their names and colorful feathers on sauropods and stegosaurs, but other than that I'm quite happy with the way they are depicted.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Some of Ixalans dinos aren't far away from what they probably looked like
They ent a little overboard with their names and colorful feathers on sauropods and stegosaurs, but other than that I'm quite happy with the way they are depicted.

Here are some contemporary dipictions on how scientists think T-Rex may have looked:

T-REX-FEATHERS.jpg

tyrannosaurus_rex___updated_version_by_moricemonkey93-d83n1sa.png

super_feathery_t_rex_by_p_tjones-d67q9ax.png

Rest in Pieces your childhood. Terrible tyrant turkey.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So on the one hand, you have all of your imagination to come up with cool ass dinosaurs, why was your decision realism?

But on the other hand the feathered look fits really well with the aztec theme so IDK

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think part of it is that the general public really dosen't like how dinosaurs probably actually looked, and there is no real pressure to change because movies like Jurassic World are still showing the more intimidating looking featherless versions. I feel they did a pretty good job walking that line, however.

And if I may shred your childhood even further, t-rex probably didn't roar, most likely it made closed mouthed vocalizations, more similar to the cooing or hooting of a dove, ostrich, or cassowary.

Like this

Science dosen't care about your feelings.

I find it way more intimidating and scary if there would be a giant feathered lizard in front of you that's making that kind of noises, still aware that it's so easy for it to kill you, and it wants to hunt you down because it's going to eat you up like a bird eats up a worm.

Grillo do you have a source or a link for those statements?

I have read it many times the last ten years and I do believe it. But do you have a specific quote to use as a source?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I don't have any amazing scientific sources. I basically just binge every once in a while. A bunch of those articles started to come out in 2016, and if you do a google search you'll get a lot of articles about the topic from a variety of news publications. If you want a really good source, you probably have to hunt down whatever scientific journal the paper was originally written in.

Actually, new founds make it highly debateable, that T-Rex was that fuzzy. He probably only had small amounts of primitive feathers and/or had them only during a certain life Periode, like a young bird today looks different as a new born. I love feathered dinos, but a T-Rex that fluffy is probably false.

BUT there were for sure fully feathered tyrannosaurids, like my favorite, Yutyrannus:
yutyrannus-56a2543b5f9b58b7d0c91b46.jpg

Also, all raptors were feathered, like these guys:
Saurian_Raptor_Render.jpg

What is completely fantasy though, is Stegosaurs or Ankylosaurs with feathers.

Turkey-Rex is definitely raping my childhood pretty hard. Some of this I imagine is extremely difficult to prove one way or the other without a time machine. Years back I remember science suggesting t-Rex didn't hunt at all and was a slow moving 10 ton vulture. Then she got hunter status back. It's all rather like the egg. It's good for you! It's bad for you! Ok, maybe you can have some just not 50 a week? What would the evolutionary benefit be for t-rex looking like a peacock? Couldn't find a female so needed to standout? It's like 15 feet tall and has a wrecking ball for a head. T-Rex ancestors not getting the ladies so needed to upgrade the bling?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Turkey-Rex is definitely raping my childhood pretty hard. Some of this I imagine is extremely difficult to prove one way or the other without a time machine. Years back I remember science suggesting t-Rex didn't hunt at all and was a slow moving 10 ton vulture. Then she got hunter status back. It's all rather like the egg. It's good for you! It's bad for you! Ok, maybe you can have some just not 50 a week? What would the evolutionary benefit be for t-rex looking like a peacock? Couldn't find a female so needed to standout? It's like 15 feet tall and has a wrecking ball for a head. T-Rex ancestors not getting the ladies so needed to upgrade the bling?

If you're actually interested this is a pretty good summary

And here is a good summary of the skin impression controversy from the same guy

There are limited skin impressions for theropod dinosaurs in general, but if we're still using phylogenetics as a scientific huristic (which we should), and based on what we know from some of t-rexes relatives (like the aformentioned Yutyrannus) means you should be ready psychologically for at least the possibility of a feather rex, as more skin impressions are found for these animals.

It's funny. As we get older we tend to get more resistant to ideas that break from what you think you know. Had I seen this as a kid I'd have been fine with turkey-Rex. Thanks for posting those links.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, thats more or less what he says in the second video, that T-rex was probably not super fluffy like Yutyrannus, because skin impressions shows that Yutyrannus had feathers in spots where we know t-rex didn't. But the media response to that study was overblown, basically tossing the idea of t-rex having feathers at all down the drain, which wasn't really a claim being made.