General Rivals of Ixalan (RIX) Spoilers

I bet it's gonna feel reaaaaally slow. But also very rewarding if you get to transform it and go a bit long. I can't wait! :D

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There's been a few cool spoilers tonight:

YuJuddW.jpg

Enrage - Whenever ~ is dealt damage, exile target creature an opponent controls until ~ leaves the battlefield.

636506464900612180.png

The pirate synergy might or might not be something, but a well-statted flash, deathtouch man with a relevant creature type might be exciting enough without the pirate rider anyway?

ft3QBBR.png

Nasty with fight effects and pump. This can grow out of control quickly! Also, cool art :)

636506464900612180.png

The pirate synergy might or might not be something, but a well-statted flash, deathtouch man with a relevant creature type might be exciting enough without the pirate rider anyway?

Very true! I guess it depends on design philophy because even though the card might have high enough power level for my cube, I will still not include it because I do not want to signals to the 8 players that they can go into a Pirate-route. Kind of the same way I feel about Mausoleum Wanderer and Rattlechains.

How much power do you end up with? I think it is 40 - spread across 8 Polyraptors, but there might be a better way to stack the triggers.

Forerunner of the Empire says "you may". How much power if you don't let it die the first turn and cast another dinosaur (or polyraptor!) your following turn?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh boy!

direfleetdaredevil.jpg

First strike
When ~ etb, exile target instant or sorcery card in an opponent's graveyard. You may cast it this turn and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell. If that spell would go into a greveyard, exile it instead.

That looks really cool actually! The base is already great in an aggressive shell, so the etb ability is just upside. And it exiles anyway, so at least it's graveyard hate. Neat!

Oh boy!

direfleetdaredevil.jpg

First strike
When ~ etb, exile target instant or sorcery card in an opponent's graveyard. You may cast it this turn and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell. If that spell would go into a greveyard, exile it instead.

That looks really cool actually! The base is already great in an aggressive shell, so the etb ability is just upside. And it exiles anyway, so at least it's graveyard hate. Neat!

This is great! Can't wait to toss this in the cube

Oh boy!

direfleetdaredevil.jpg

First strike

Snatchcaster Mage? Backcaster Mage? Snapcaster Thief?

Woah, desert hate for my Rx control decks! Seems like a really neat counterplay/sideboard card, that remains maindeckable if you aren't running many utility lands.

I like Blood Sun quite a bit better than the moon. Shuts off primarily fetchlands, but still allows you to have fixing. Easy to build a mana base around, and punishes really greedy 3+ color manabases. Cool.

All that aside:
resplendentgriffin.jpg

PARROT GRIFFIN

Edit: ALSO
en_it7lbrrNfw.png

So cute! Replacing my flame boys with this for sure.

Ooook so apparently there was a rules change recently, and Blood Sun also stops 'as this enters' abilities? I need to get a little more solid confirmation, but this now would mean
  • Shock land = ABU dual (no enters tapped)
  • Bouncelands enter untapped and no bounce!!! This could legitimately be a reason to include it in a list. sweet build around potential there?
  • Stops cavern of souls etc.
  • Cycling lands ETB untapped!
Like wow???
Also just realized it draws you a card. What the heck?

Ooook so apparently there was a rules change recently, and Blood Sun also stops 'as this enters' abilities? I need to get a little more solid confirmation, but this now would mean
  • Shock land = ABU dual (no enters tapped)
  • Bouncelands enter untapped and no bounce!!! This could legitimately be a reason to include it in a list. sweet build around potential there?
  • Stops cavern of souls etc.
  • Cycling lands ETB untapped!
Like wow???
Also just realized it draws you a card. What the heck?

Get your Scorched Ruins and Lotus Vale before they're 30 USD I guess

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A 2/4 flying is not useless, but this definitely is the most feast or famine Ascend design we've seen so far. Super good effect once you get the city's blessing!

Laz

Developer
Finally, I am able to bring my favourite saying to Magic!

You got HORNSWOGGLED!

hornswoggle.jpg

This may genuinely be the first card since werebear that I have felt such fun thoughts about.

A 2/4 flying is not useless, but this definitely is the most feast or famine Ascend design we've seen so far. Super good effect once you get the city's blessing!

Yeah it's certainly not for every format, but I think ascend should play well in mine. I don't know that it has legs if you're very much further up in power level, though.