Sigh, a Cube

I updated the OP with a more up-to-date take on the guilds and shards/wedges, and added missing three color combos! It's a little approximate, since I am working off of knowledge and drafts from several months ago.

Alright, so its been a long time since I've really put actual effort into this cube outside doodling around the forum. Been doing real life stuff over the course of this summer, but maybe settling in a little. Being gone this long, I need a plan of attack for how to move forward. What I came up with is to find cards that aren't fitting well into the format. Maybe value-town holdouts that I've gotten over, or cards that are relics of past strategies, etc. This might give me a clear focus on space and slots available to me, with which I can look at the past few sets I've missed out on for better inclusions for me. That's not to say I won't find cards I want to add that push other acceptable cards out, as typical, but I need to start somewhere.

First a few cards that I wanted to switch anyway:
->
Dark petition is a messy card, while Parting is so, so clean at it's job. Hope to see some neat pairs dug up with this.
->
Fetters never really hit it off over here, and I'm really excited to try monument to bolster the tokens deck.
->
I do like hydra, tbh. But I really want to try Multani, which seems to fit better into my lands theme

That is... A lot. I think one underlying theme is dislike of cards that are just messes to read that also aren't really doing much for the format. Waste of brain power.
champion of the parish: This guy feels (felt) like a trap. I can do better and the decks don't need him
Shelter: Haven't seen this played much. Think 2 mana just a tad too much at this point. Decks also not needing the effect.
Eldrazi displacer: Time to cut the {c} 'theme'. Complicated and not needed. Keeping painlands tho, big fan of them.
Kytheon, hero of akros: Messy card that is just power for powers sake.
Seeker of the way: Not sure white is headed in this direction right now. Not a smash hit bomb like Monastery Mentor, so on the naughty list
Unsubstantiate: Don't see evidence that this effect is needed or adds to U decks. Can use this slot for something much more interesting.
Crow storm: Meeeeh
Eternal of harsh truths: Doesn't really do much for the format, the only Afflict card, and was just included because the slot was the same sort of card idea before.
Delver of secrets: Trap
Gnarled scarhide: Included partially to support delirium, which isn't really a focus any more, it's still a neat card, but can see it going
Wander in death: A touch low powered, I think.
Battle at the bridge: Dunno, man
Soul of innistrad: Outclassed these days. It's not fitting into gameplans of my B decks compared to its more powerful bros
Herald of torment: Included for delirium, but doesn't fill any particular role the format is looking for. nighthowler at the same CMC is much better for the GY format.
Kiki-jiki, mirror breaker: Kinda a trap that a combo exists, and hard to cast without specifically helping my archetypes
Earthshaker khenra: Complicated af to read, I think the slot can he better used
Avacyn's judgment: Another messy card, the madness is cool, but not critical enough to justify the messiness. Maybe another madness card is better suited?
Abbot of keral keep: Not seeing effective play these days, and not being utilized for the process. Think there are better options these days.
Clear shot: Only one green card is probably evidence that I'm still very happy with the color.
Heirloom blade: Never really worked out.
Thought-knot seer: Cut that colorless!
Watchers of the dead: Might not quite make it on power level of effect
Jeskai ascendancy: Three color card I'm not convinced is needed for the format besides giving me a toy to play with. Tokens can be supported other ways.
Olivia, mobilized for war: Messy card. Think there's a better option in battlebond
Prepare // fight: Not that great, and seems to be included "because GY interaction"!
Figure of destiny: Dunno if this sort of mana sink 1 drop works in my format
Boros reckoner: Never a big hit, think a neater and easier to cast card will be more loved here.
Burning-tree emissary: Meeh. Dunno.
Nissa, steward of elements: Doesn't do anything my format needs. And cooler simic cards printed.

Some potential switches from Dominaria
->
One wall of text for another, but I like the Oddsmaker a lot, and I think the effect is a little better overall, while still maintaining the discard outlet.

->
Basically a free slot with taking out {c} stuff, and I'm excited to try trawler

->
Really want to try out this cute little bird. Can easily see finding something else, but this supports artifacts, flies, and doesn't trick you.

->
Not only a slot match, a mana match! Besides adoring Jaya as a character since forever, she pushes the big spells theme as another great anchor beyond Goggles.

No swaps right now, just compiling ideas of swaps from sets that have recently come out.

Edit: Azra oddsmaker is not from Dominaria... Oh well

From Battlebond, besides the Oddsmaker above, is easier than I thought.
->
Spellseeker is a great boon to Ux decks, offering both a great toolbox and consistency for important spells like devil's play. Eternal isn't even on the same ball field, tbh.

M19 had fewer interesting cards than I thought... There are several cards that are close to interesting, but are kinda crowded out by other stuff (even from the same set!).
->
Not a swap from the list above, but Resurrection is pretty bland, and Ajani is everything but. Small reanimation, counters, go-wide. Love it.

->
Abbot isn't well liked in my group for some reason, and I'll gladly take the opportunity to put in a sweet rummager! still serviceable in aggressive decks, but really shines in the {U}{R} and {R}{G}decks I am trying to foster.

I definitely want this dude in my cube. Not sure exactly what to take out for it. Probably crow storm? Really awesome sign into the bauble-style artifact deck I'm trying to flush out. Every bauble leaving behind a decent attacker is really nice. One additional problem is the newly spoiled murmuring mystic. Do I push the spells deck, or the artifact deck??

Also, can honestly see myself wanting to try

Strictly better Jayemdae Tome, this just maybe feels fast enough for control decks to run. Dunno. Really pretty art, too.

Commander 2018 actually had more of interest than I would have thought. I really do appreciate the Cxx decks for enabling more interesting cards and designs to come out compared normal sets, even if the decks and some cards end of pretty wonky.
->
Nissa just wasn't working out for the confusion and cluttered approach to the design. Arixmethes is a sweet ramp spell that doubles as a finisher in a clean way: by simply helping you cast the spells it needs. Honestly, thinking about the possibility of taking out:

almost as a 2fer, since this pulls of that slumbering kraken design better IMO, and has much better utility when not "active". Enjoy also that they did the design without a transform.

Maybe I can take out Thing for Sai, and Crow Storm for Murmuring Mystic??? Then I get both spells and artifacts support! :D

->
Not sure this is the right swap, but Seeker isn't really working out the best for this format rn, and Magus is super neat, enabling a busted effect, but at a fiar price on a removable body.

I'll be honest, after this point, I don't really have any clean swaps. Just neat cards that might be cool to find space for

could see this as an alternative to living death, but maybe has the same problems Miracle always has, and in color not well suited to filter it to the top. Sweet with Vampiric Tutor or mystical tutor though!

really, really want this dude to find a spot. Perfect for the lands archetype in color, with a neat touch of recursion. My 3 slot is super stacked though. Maybe the Clear Shot swap? But I start to worry that the 3's creature slot will get too bloated.

A awesome effect for red, that I often feel has a dearth of unique cards, and it's one of the most playable retrace cards! In the correct colors for my lands deck! In fact:
+
Is AWESOME!
I can see taking out Avacyn's Judgment for it, shifting the curve a little, or maybe it's finally time for stoke to go?

Mini Trading Post! Love this kind of grind-up-to-value effect, and this one is searchable by trinket mage! I know several people here on RTL are excited for this, and I'm one of em! Not sure what to take out though...
Could see removing the Watchers of the Dead for it. Would rather find an equipment to replace Heirloom Blade, but don't know if the right one has come along yet.

Second round of Dominaria potentials, once I actually look at the cards lol. Tossing in that sweet, sweet #confusion to the matter:)
->
The War might actually be the artifacts payoff/cog I was looking for? Sai is great, but this seems every greater. This is of course weighed against the fact that this would introduce a new card frame/type... I still think the excellent CA on the first two acts makes it better.

->
I'm not entirely sold on the need to remove Kytheon (power spikes = interesting), and this is a clean swap from trap to Savannah Lions+

could replace one of my R 4 drops with it, but I think the Erratic Cyclops coming out soon is miles more interesting and fits into an archetype to boot!

not sure where or why exactly I'd include this, but I really love the art and the unique effect. That alone might be good enough for someone to draft this cool... UW tokens deck or something.

This one I know what archetypes I'd be supporting, but not sure that it's needed at this spot on the curve, or in this color. I could tick the Displacer slot up one and try them out for a bit...

A really cool modal kill spell, but not sure what I would take out for it. Is it better/more synergistic for my format than Battle at the Bridge? Maybe. Dunno how far life gain as an upside takes you.

Didn't even have this card in the initial pile of cards on the Naughty List, but reflector mage is annoying as hell without actually pushing an archetype any particular way. Raff is a really good card on his own, but he builds onto the artifact decks I'm trying to bolster. Can see Raff not being permanent, but want to try him.

NVM the above post bemoaning the lack of replacements for Heirloom Blade. This seems like the better approximation of the same effect, the blade that passes from one creature to the next. Stronger pump up effect too.

I this what I actually run instead of arcane encyclopedia? It can either provide a discard outlet/looting effect, or can be the encyclopedia's draw effect with a little GY thinning.

Didn't even have this card in the initial pile of cards on the Naughty List, but reflector mage is annoying as hell without actually pushing an archetype any particular way. Raff is a really good card on his own, but he builds onto the artifact decks I'm trying to bolster. Can see Raff not being permanent, but want to try him.

I'm also looking at trying this guy. Looks kinda fun.

Edit: one day the images will magically appear.

Have you considered Sunset Pyramid? If you want something that strong
I have yes. Another contender for that slot!

Ok, so GRN. Wowzers, a worthy successor of the name Ravnica. Very very solid set with a lot of interesting cards. I particularly enjoy that it's a graveyard format that doesn't try and make everything about the GY. There's a guild tension between the GY matters guilds, and the "creatures" matter. I'd like to think I'm pulling the same thing off, with guilds like GW and RW, UW to some degree, focusing less on the GY and acting as a counterpoint to the primary theme. So there are a lot of cards I have at least potential interest in, some are sweet swaps for above naughty list cards:
-> Murmuring mystic
From my above Commander thoughts. Titi is just... what if you only get 3 spells? Not great... so I think I will do a compound switch, getting Arixmethes and Mystic in one go. Said is still on the table too.

-> mission briefing
Mission briefing is sweet! And definitely more unique than venser without a body. And I've already got the venser. I know that GB is the strongest slice of the cube colors, so I'm interested if filling out the blue recursion suite a little more will do something interesting

-> aurelia, exemplar of justice
Boros reckoner has been a major dud with my group, even adding red wrath effects. Luckily this gem came along! This Aurelia is very cool! I'm excited to try her out, and she seems much better as a draw into Boros.

-> midnight reaper
An exciting card! Like inscho, don't run morph really, so this is an awesome printing! Herald is an easy swap. Too generic and Nighthowler is already perfect for the slot.

-> assure // assemble
A selesnya split spell I just like much better than the previous one. Removal protection is an awesome effect to have in these colors, and stapled to a pile of bodies at instant speed. Especially with shelter on the naughty list, this is a nice upgrade in flexibility of that slot also.

Beyond these, there are plenty of other interesting cards that I don't have a naughty list swap gor, or no particular swap for yet in general.

-> sinister sabotage
Simple switch. Functionally similar spell that is miles better for the format I'm trying to foster.

Thought erasure
This is a really nice hand control spell. Primary target in the UB slot is probably consign // oblivion[/ci], which is a fairly simple spell that somewhat falls into the trap of "well it can be cast from the GY". See also prepare // fight above.

It has competition though!

Connive // concoct

Hi, I am (re)building a multiplayer cube and reading your thread it appears that you play MP too!
If you have the time I'd like to ask you a few questions:

- Do you play free for all MP games or do you use another rule?

- You have many 1 drop dudes, many of which have relevance later in the game, but also some pretty vanilla ones especially in red and white. Are the vanilla ones relevant in your MP games? In my games, early drops with no late game power are mostly a trap since you cannot hope to aggro out everyone early and late game they are dead.

- Are the situational counters or tempo counters effective? Since it's harder to close out a game in MP than 1vs1, the Remands seem less powerful.

Thanks for reading and happy cubing!

Hi, I am (re)building a multiplayer cube and reading your thread it appears that you play MP too!
If you have the time I'd like to ask you a few questions:

- Do you play free for all MP games or do you use another rule?

- You have many 1 drop dudes, many of which have relevance later in the game, but also some pretty vanilla ones especially in red and white. Are the vanilla ones relevant in your MP games? In my games, early drops with no late game power are mostly a trap since you cannot hope to aggro out everyone early and late game they are dead.

- Are the situational counters or tempo counters effective? Since it's harder to close out a game in MP than 1vs1, the Remands seem less powerful.

Thanks for reading and happy cubing!

Hi Nanonox, I haven't forgotten about you! I just want to find the right time to properly answer this very good and interesting question.