Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

VibeBox

Contributor
wear//tear got drafted fairly highly by a boros deck in a Vintage Roto i was watching a few days ago.
never cast it, but it's probably p good

CML

Contributor

Showed up in draft today. Two thumbs way up, really amazing card.

yeah there's a lot of fun built into this one. the prison termed guy has to figure out when to play creatures and the warden has to figure out when to move it. it's an elegant design for what's up with it

wear//tear got drafted fairly highly by a boros deck in a Vintage Roto i was watching a few days ago.
never cast it, but it's probably p good

yeah i think it's pretty solid but i have qualms about it because it's a multicolor card you'd have some difficulties playing main. looking at the context in which it's a good sideboard card in legacy might yield some results, but i'm not sure how to interpret "universal inclusion for RW/x"

About 20% of my cube is enchantments/artifacts - that number went up with all the enchantment creatures. What are the odds of you facing a deck that has no enchantments or artifacts in it? I'm thinking it's pretty low. Anything that can hit both of those card types is probably maindeckable in virtually every matchup in cube. So the only thing really hurting wear//tear is that it's a gold card so fighting for a slot in the most competitive section of the cube.

With that said, disenchant is infinitely more splashable (even though you lose the two for one opportunity). And I don't even run disenchant.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor

This is what I expect to get these days out of a 4 mana 5/5. I don't think being black is enough of an "advantage" to take a Juzam Variant.

CML

Contributor
Black creature baseline is far lower, they can be kind of crappy, but I dunno why you'd run those instead of

etc

Winter orb is pretty oppressive. Plus you have the continuous artifact debate with the guys who still know what that was, and it leads to arguments. I took that card out awhile ago. Wasn't worth it.

Winter orb is pretty oppressive. Plus you have the continuous artifact debate with the guys who still know what that was, and it leads to arguments. I took that card out awhile ago. Wasn't worth it.
At least that's only a problem if you have an Alpha Beta or Unlimited one. Revised and forward don't have continuous on it.

At least that's only a problem if you have an Alpha Beta or Unlimited one. Revised and forward don't have continuous on it.

It was still an issue for one of my friends. He has one from unlimited. I don't, but he still insisted it was turned off when tapped. Not everyone subscribes to the rule changes handed down from Wizards. Admittedly, this one seems hard to defend since it completely changed how the card plays. I don't know the history of why that feature got removed from some cards and errata'd on others (howling mine for example).

what? cant you just show them the oracle text? how is this an argument

also, about the change
"Once we decided to stop doing functional errata, we went back and undid any functional errata change we had done. The one exception was on cards where we had printed the new rules text on cards. Thus, Howling Mine, which had been reprinted, kept the new wording while Winter Orb, which had not, was reverted to its original text."

Yeah I get people asking if I still play with damage on the stack. Usually out of an unnatural love for mog fanatic

I don't have a lot of weight in this argument either because I rejected the M10 rule changes. So when my friend who had been playing since alpha did the same thing with contiguous artifacts, what was I going to say? Read the Oracle text but ignore any reference to M10? LOL.

So I got rid of winter orb and everyone seemed content sticking with 6th edition rules (which most of us knew really well). I've kept things that way ever since and that's why I don't run some of the newer stuff (DFC, walkers, etc.). My cube is retro-ish, but I've been slowly integrating new cards over time.