General The Draft Exchange

I like both quite a bit, think they will work well for you. Wondering on the blue side, any particular reason for Aether Adept over Man-o'-war? Section feels a little stacked on {1}{U}{U} cards.

I like both quite a bit, think they will work well for you. Wondering on the blue side, any particular reason for Aether Adept over Man-o'-war? Section feels a little stacked on {1}{U}{U} cards.

Riptide Laboratory in the ULD and human being a relevant type.

View attachment 1591

I present the rare in-person draft exchange, a product of the wacky environment of my good friend the Mad Prophet.
I started out looking to be some sort of big blue deck, but I came to realize I could play some sort of a Turbo Xerox shenanigan with a mere fourteen lands. Deal Broker did some work, trading a Young Pyromancer I'd drafted for a Deep Analysis and then looting away ill-gotten excess lands from Land Tax and Gush.

This turbo xerox high-cantrip-low-land strategy seems like an interesting direction in which to explore...

...and the Mad Prophet agreed, and was inspired and urged by the precursors in his archived ramblings to pursue a higher, purer form.

Long Live Turbo Xerox.

An example deck:

Grixis TX from CubeTutor.com

drafted astaedm's cube..

p1p1: Venser, the Sojourner, because I removed flicker from my cube and was interested to see how the archetype manifests in a synergy-driven cube.
p1p2: Clocknapper, oh F#

I proceeded to draft the type of deck that will make opponents scratch their eyes out.

Rage Quit from CubeTutor.com

I love it!! Does that make me a sociopath? :mad:

Oh lord that's disgusting, I love it! The proclamation probably makes it super consistent too! I can't wait to get back to drafting in person to see if this sort of thing is super oppressive, but I think the removal in the format can handle it. Clocky and friends are on the watchlist for sure tho.

Gonna try drafting your cube, I've read a lot of your cube blog posts and I love some of your card choice but otherwise going in blind.

First picked Mirror-Mad-Phantasm like a madman, then was rewarded with the actual madman, Lab Man. Picked duals highly cause I like casting spells in high-synergy environments and got passed Wasteland, Loam, Gifts, Raven's Crime, and Excavator. Good lord. Forbid+Loam is the spice of the day. Thoughts on drafting, a lot of the cards are pretty esoteric and I feel like I'd need to read a primer before drafting to understand all the combos in here (is an 8th pick Protean Hulk a signal? Are there rituals for Brain Freeze and Minds Desire?). The sort of thing that rewards drafting practice, which I like!

Sultai Lands from CubeTutor.com

Interesting thought experiment, which one would win? :p

Well seeing as neither deck has much efficient disruption, I think it'd be a coin toss as to who got their engines up and running first. I think the Blink deck would have to get Clocknapper in play to win or build its own Swallower with Body Double, because the Sultai deck has more ways to lock someone out of the game via stripping hands with Raven's Crime, Forbid locks, and Death Cloud. Decking could be a real problem for both decks in the match :oops:

Drafted astraedm's again:

p1p1: Eternal Witness
p1p2: Tarmogoyf
p1p3: Crystal Shard

Went for a Pseudo Eternal Command Deck.....ended up with a recursive Seasons deck with late game lockout potential.

Seasons from CubeTutor.com

Have you considered Walk the Aeons in place of Part the Waterveil? It doesn't exile itself so you can recur it, and its nuts with Titania, Protector of Argoth. I drafted Titania, but ultimately didn't have enough ways to reliably trigger her. I pulled her from my list, because I had too many ways to trigger her, and it felt like once it hit play you just won.

I like your cube a lot, and it gives me some inspiration for my own. I feel that there's a handful of cards like Trail of Evidence which are way too low powered for what else is available to draft....which will likely sort themselves out with time.

How has As Foretold been performing? That's a sweet card.

It’s been a super cool way to play more sorceries in your control deck. It’s interesting in the way that it helps out the nonstandard colors of control like UG more, as you can start deploying threats and holding up answers much quicker. I think “velocity” is the term used around here a lot?

@inscho Part the Waterveil will probably be time warp or walk the aeons eventually, Walk is definitely a cool idea now that titania is in and is also cute with as foretold and excavator and such. Titania is on the watchlist as i haven’t tested her IRL yet, but I don’t run zuran orb and the like so i think she should be fine as extra value w/ fetches, edge of autumn, etc. You’re right about trail and some others, ideally i’ll find some slots that are a little closer to my power level.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Drafted inscho's Restart combo cube. Went for p1p1 Mulldrifter over Perilous Myr, Solemn Recruit, Shrine of Loyal Legions, Terminus, Clan Defiance and Goblin Welder. P1p2 greeted me with a Recruiter of the Guard, then Reveillark, then Monastery Master, Spell Queller, and a deck was born. Decided to run 16 land, because the only card I can't run out / cycle for less than four mana is Reveillark, plus a Land Tax, temple and bounceland should help with finding more mana as well.

Onderzeeboot's WU draft from CubeTutor.com

In hindsight I think I should have picked up the Solemn Recruit when it wheeled, instead of the Siren Stormtamer, though having that protection available can be clutch when I want to protect my Mikaeus, for example. Tough call!

drafted ravnic's cube

p1p1 propaganda
p1p2 windborn muse (love this card)
p1p3 fog bank

Who needs friends? :mad:

Bant Control from CubeTutor.com

I really enjoyed the old school vibes. Casual is a good descriptor for this cube. It was a nice change of pace from the decision dense intricacies of my cube....it felt like a vacation.

Not every day you get to draft Archivist:cool:

I didn't end up with as many uses for Crystal Shard as I'd like, but with the taxing effects it should still be useful enough.

Two propaganda effects, Crystal shard + Mystic Snake ... That's a mean deck, I love it!
But why no Simic Growth Chamber?

Drafting yours now ...

P1P1 Sneak Attack

This deck would've been alot better with a Crucible of Worlds or Magus of the Crucible, but I didn't see any.

The cube is nice and looks like something I would do as a secondary cube.

Naya Tricks from CubeTutor.com

Creature (9)
x Birds of Paradise
x Goblin Welder
x Mother of Runes
x Satyr Wayfinder
x Feldon of the Third Path
x Knight of the Reliquary
x Tireless Tracker
x Goblin Dark-Dwellers
x Borborygmos Enraged

Planeswalker (1)
x Nahiri, the Harbinger

Artifact Creature (4)
x Perilous Myr
x Phyrexian Metamorph
x Razormane Masticore
x Platinum Angel

Artifact (2)
x Chromatic Star
x Engineered Explosives

Instant (4)
x Enlightened Tutor
x Abrade
x Lightning Helix
x Harrow

Sorcery (2)
x Firebolt
x Incendiary Flow

Enchantment (1)
x Sneak Attack

Land (17)
x Arid Mesa
x Sheltered Thicket
x Temple of Triumph
x Plains
x Mountain
x Forest

Sideboard (19)
x Altar Of Dementia
x Bygone Bishop
x Containment Priest
x Devil's Play
x Duress
x Elixir of Immortality
x Forsake the Worldly
x Gryff's Boon
x Molten Vortex
x Pia Nalaar
x Reckless Charge
x Rune-Scarred Demon
x Siren Stormtamer
x Spell Queller
x Sweltering Suns
x Thraben Inspector
x Wasteland
x Weathered Wayfarer
x Zealous Conscripts

(0)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Drafted Ravnic's Ravnica Remastered cube... under my CubeTutor account :) (read this if you want to know why)

Onderzeeboot's Grixis Pingers from CubeTutor.com

CT hasn't got a very good pick order list built for this cube yet, so I was getting some late doozies (like, one of the Wrecking Balls wheeled). Still, this looks like a blast to play, with some shenanigans, and from a certain point on, you'll have a critical mass of pingers to just deny your opponent any creatures. At least, that's my hope :) Also, somehow, in one of these games, I want to land a Followed Footsteps on Izzet Chronarch and just go ham on Compulsive Research and removal spells turn after turn! :D

Bonus draft:

Onderzeeboot's Bant Siege Wurm from CubeTutor.com

Drafting Safra's Exploratory Sketch ...

p1p1 Mulldrifter. Didn't get there with a reanimator plan really, but I have some nice discard synergies with stuff like Drake Haven and Bloodgahst. I almost slipped into Sultai Drege again, but then decided to stay true to my two colors and go for a more controlish appeal. I wonder how strong Drake Haven is actually.

Dimir Looting Control from CubeTutor.com

Since Yan doesn't have a cube sadly, I drafted Ondeezeboot's, because he did a bonus draft before and he's my man.

4-color Loam Craziness from CubeTutor.com

I firstpicked Crucible and daaaamn, did I get payoff. This 4-colored pile of well thought-through craziness has so many nice synergies and interactions, I don't even know where to start. I love to play this for a few rounds of draft matches IRL now :(
The draft experience alone was really fun and as a fellow cube manager one can see, how much time and passion you put into this stack of cards.

To whoever comes next, please draft my current testing version of my cube there:
http://www.cubetutor.com/draft/103460
I'm planning to go up to 500 and could need evry bit of feedback :)