The Modern Utopia Cube

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED ACCORDING TO THE CURRENT STATE OF THE CUBE.
The list originated as a Modern-focused and Modern-flavored cube, but over the years it drifted towards emulating the old (2017) list of MTGO Legacy cube, with better aggro support and less durdly games being the main difference. The set of archetypes also differs a bit: for example, in our list you can draft a Black-Red recursive aggro deck, which is much less suported in MTGO Legacy cube. The list still contains some of the cards that's been released after 2017, with the reason being the better gameplay and support for archetypes they provide. But I'm considering making a more old-school version of my own list, where those newer cards will be replaced with the ones which have been released by the end of 2017.
============================= Design Pillars ============================
  1. Legacy+ category (Legacy card-pool with no ban-list), high power level, unpowered.
  2. Balanced environment with more or less equal support for all theaters (Aggro, Control, Tempo, Midrange) and archetypes.
  3. The priority is interactive and skill-testing (though not extremely complicated) gameplay and draft process, not pure power-max.
  4. No combo archetypes for now.
  5. Breaking singleton to provide better support to certain archetypes (recursive aggro, birthing pod).
  6. The main focus is on two-colour decks, but tri-colour decks also exist (except maybe Bant).
  7. The cube supports Utility Lands Draft. The list of lands (DOES NOT CORRESPOND TO THE IRL LIST, UPDATES ARE COMING SOON): [COLOR=var(--link)]https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/5e989eb2df3ffb74938eeb9f[/COLOR]
Make sure to follow the link below and draft our cube! We appreciate any feedback from you: decks drafted, comments regarding the balance between archetypes and their support etc.
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/5f68d51286811a692a3e08e5?view=curve
Sincerely yours, Karn and his Tolarian friends

You might want to link to the cube list [http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/98102] rather than to the cube blog.

I drafted this deck http://www.cubetutor.com/cubedeck/967888

First picked Karn, Scion of Urza, 2nd picked Bitterblossom, and third picked Oracle of Mul Daya. Fell back to my roots, which is control decks with value while I forget I need finishers. Picked up Karn, Myr Battlesphere Pack 3.

Nice cube, m'Karn. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Thank you!
I looked at your deck, it seems to be solid. But that's what I, probably, was afraid of: I tried to draft our cube a couple times and I often ended up with a Golgari midrange/control deck. Probably, I should dial it's power down, at least a bit. But at first I'll wait for someone else to draft it. Maybe, I'm just a GB-midrange maniac, who knows...:) I really love to draft such decks.

As a general note for myself, I think I should do several things now.
1.) Expand the "ETB-creature" package and do some other work on this archetype like giving it a more visible mana-curve and gameplan and sprinkle its tools into several other colours for diversity.
2.) Decrease the overall power of green and add more aggressive creatures into it.
3.) Cut some of the Spells Matter signals.
4.) Cut Karn Liberated??? :eek::eek::eek: Can't even believe I said that aloud!

After I cut a few Spells Matter signposts and dedicated Ramp cards, I added several 2-drops in red and green. Now Aggro decks feel easier to draft and there appears GR Aggro.
It has a subtheme inside: +1/+1 counters. Many people consider it a weak theme for a medium-powered cube, so we decided that it should be a necessary inclusion: there are several anthem effects which put counters on your team. We, probably, won't ever include spells that only put counters on creatures. But creatures that are generally nice in Aggro and create counters - that's what I find a cool inclusion. They also will be useful for, say, UG tempo decks: they have a blue base of evasive creatures and green as a supportive pumping colour.
Anchors

The last one criss-crosses with Steel Overseer in "artifacts matter" Aggro/Tempo strategy.
Anthems (wouldn't mind to have more of ths particular kind)

Drana wasn't originally intended to support this deck, so, we'd like to add one more greanthem placing counters. Or it's unnecessary? There are also several another cards which encourage people to make a croud like Hellrider and Purphoros, God of the Forge, but they don't give us counters. Please, tell us what you think about it.
Gruul Aggro decklist I've drafted at once.
http://www.cubetutor.com/cubedeck/968326
Cheers!

Well, I'm glad that you discovered a new posible way of drafting it) But wait... Krasis may just not work in this deck. Or I miss sth?.. I currently feel sleepy, correct me if I'm wrong
Probably, Champion of Lambholt isn't a card that fits into aggro: it's too slow and doesn't have an immediate impact on the game. Maybe, Midrange? But then you should find some ways to gide wide.
Thank you for taking part in testing the cube!:)

Haven't seen you for ages, ladies and gentlemen!
Finally, we are ready to share our "Modern Utopia Cup #3" results. During the first two Cups there were a lot of obvious mistakes done in cube-building itself, so, we fixed the most part of 'em with no efforts (and we don't think they're worth mentioning). Probably, now starts the more interesting part of trimming, where flaws are less, but still visible).
You can see what archetypes players came up with and their results below.
MUC 3 - Challengers.jpg
MUC 3 - Spreadsheets.jpg
What I wanted to say before moving to analysis is we all are still learning how to draft and build decks, so, sometimes we make some mistakes pro-players would, probably, laugh at (f.e., not main-decking enough reach in an Aggro deck). It may lead to situations, when a deck which was doing pretty well during the past Cups fall down.
What problems were detected this time:

Cube-building Mistakes

1. UW Tempo sits at the top places for the third tournament already.
2. GB Sacrifice (this time its Abzan) definitely needs more Sacrifice outlets. I personally am looking towards trying God-Eternal Bontu and Liliana, Dreadhorde General or Flesh Carver (not Modern legal, but nevertheless). Maybe, Vraska, Golgari Queen?
3. GW Pod requires more removal, or the problem is we're not very experienced at playing this deck. It just doesn't have enough place to toss in 5-7 removal pieces, as in a typical Midrange deck.
4. Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and/or Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre should be replaced. They fit only into the Breach archetype, not Reanimator: they are shuffled back after hitting the graveyard. I'll most likely leave one of them.
5. We also think about adding a couple of 4-5-CMC beaters, which could fit both into Aggro as curve-toppers and Midrange to add it more power at closing the game. For instance, the mentioned above Bontu and a Shifting Ceratops.

Deckbuilding Mistakes

1. UW and UB players should have picked up 2 more CA spells; UW player also should have taken 1-2 more removal spells during the draft.
2. BR player would rather not take Sultai Emissary and Murderous Redcap: for Aggro decks they seem to be pretty slow (at least, in our environment), especially the former.
3. RW player had Zealous Conscripts and Thundermaw Hellkite, but did mainboard none of them (he used them after every 1st sideboarding, though). That happens to everyone sometimes :) A couple more one-drops in mainboard would be nice, too. Their slots were, perhaps, occupied by 1-CMC burn, but leaving only 3 1-CMC creatures that can apply early pressure on their own, I think, was a mistake (2 others were Grim Lavamancer and Signal Pest.

After drafting our cube, we typically try to edit our decks to fix the problems they have and play a couple of Constructed matches with them to see if that works. When we finish, I'm going to post a list of changes.
If you want to have a look at some of the decklists, I can post them in a sepparate message.
Tell us what you think of all this and suggest your ideas!
Have a nice time!

Hello, dear ladies and gentlemen! Here's the long-awaited (at least, for me) post about the changes made in our cube. Let's start!
1. First of all, it seems to me that I started to better understand how the cube works. At last, I GOT INTO IT. Don't believe? See my new avatar.
Moving to the cube itself...
2. I cut the reanimator package. The initial purpose of running it in our cube was to make those big Eldrazi not only required in UR Breach; but we didn't like reanimator that much and there was not enough place for running a needed number of wraths in black. Plus, we added some cards for another strategy, which fits into the environment more, and it is...
3. Golgari "self-mill" Aggro.

BG Self-mill Aggro from CubeTutor.com

The plan is pretty simple: you mill recursives down and cast them from your graveyard. But what to do with creatures unable to return from GY? I'm not a big fan of payoffs like Nighthowler, therefore they are not powerful enough for our list; instead, we run mini-reanimation cards: Isareth and Unearth, and delve creatures: Tombstalker and Tasigur. The list also has some discard outlets to dump the recursives from your hand.
Several guys from our playgroup suggested Scourge of Nel Toth, but it was absurd during the test. Casting it on turn 4... Damn. It would be a Hogaak of our cube. Maybe we'll try it again later.
4. Avenger of Zendikar was replaced with a more "aggressive" End-Raze Forerunners. This more fair version of Craterhoof looks like a better wincon for a ramp deck. Maybe, once we'll also try Xenagos, God of Revels, which can be comboed with some Eldrazi fatty (basically, it is a Modern "Tooth and Ramp" deck).
5. +1/+1 counters theme is finally in our cube! It's main colour is green (and colorless), and you can also splash into Red, Black, and White. But we still cannot decide whether to take Reyhan, Last of the Abzan or Varolz, the Scar-Striped. I guess, the latter is better, 'cause it supports both sacrifice and counters.
6. Artifacts got more support. Now you can run them in blue as an Aggro/Tempo deck + in GB (they partially criss-cross with +1/+1 counters). Surprisingly (even for myself) I'm not really eager to run Urza, Lord Artificer... Oh... Is it actually me or who speaking? I don't recognize myself.
7. We didn't do much to power down UW Tempo. We'll watch it in action once again, during our next draft, and if it's insane, measures will be taken.
8. And some polishing in other aspects.
That's all for now. If you have some suggestions, make sure to make a post here! Thank you.

Sincerely yours, Karn and his Tolarian friends

Reactions: dbs

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm very tempted to just steal most of your white creature section. I was wondering though, has your cube produced many good Wx control decks? I feel like new sets keep pushing more and more great attacking tools without giving many nice control options.

I'm very tempted to just steal most of your white creature section.
Sure, feel free to do that! I'm not against copying at all. In fact, my cube as it is now was in many ways inspired by your list ;)
These are the two decks from the last cube session (with some brief match recordings).
UW Cheons updated.jpg

Rakdos Zombies.jpg
UW Cheons vs. Rakdos Zombies.
Game 1: more or less aggressive opening from BR, Jitte has taken part in the game, UW player was aggressively drawing cards in order to find the answer and managed to do that (Council’s Judgement). UW wins.
Sideboarding 1.
UW Cheons: Brazen Borrower => Kitchen Finks.
BR Zombies: Fatal Push => GFT.
Game 2: both players mulliganed to 5, I guess. Jitte was “at the scene” again. UW struggled drawing lands and a few turns later went hellbent. BR wins.
Sideboarding 2.
(none).
Game 3: The opening from the BR player was not really aggressive – Carrion Feeder into nothing (Incinerate and Dreadbore in hand) into Rampaging Ferocidon (exiled) into Rabblemaster (fell under the sweeper effect). Not a very difficult game to seal for UW, to be honest, but, I guess, such games must take place from time to time, too? UW wins.
Result: 2-1 in UW’s favor.
We haven't yet played all the matches we had to play according to the Swiss system (we stopped after the 1st round if I'm not mistaken), but the UW Control player has managed to beat the BR Zombies pilot who has drawn Jitte in 2 games. So, at least the list was successful against the Aggro deck with great recursion in form of 4 Gravecrawler's and the best equipment piece. I think I'll make a report on results in this thread a bit later, when we finish the two rounds left. In general, UWx decks are capable of going at least 2-1 in a draft, not sure about other Wx archetypes like BW control, since they haven't come up a single time in my cube yet.
Cannot say much on Control lacking new toys in the recent sets since test much less new cards than other cubers do, but WotC has actually printed some cards people use in their cubes (unlike me) and which are probably nice in control lists:

Teferi, Hero helps you hold up mana for a counterspell while still having played a strong walker, and Typhoon helps you utilize that mana if an opp decides not to play anything worth a counter. But you should better ask others for more info on how these cards perform in cube.

So, we finished the tournament, UW Cheons has 3-0'd the draft. I'll attach the list once again.
UW Cheons updated.jpg
I feel like I might need another counterspell, or something that can serve as that, because I want to support 2 control lists + a tempo deck each tournament (5, 5 and 4(?) counterspells respectively, which makes 14 in total + 2-3 spare ones). Probably adding Mystical Tutor. Might replace Ancestral Vision with Search for Azcanta. Vision is cool, but very slow, and especially disgusting when you draw int the middle of the game against a quick opponent.

We're probably deviating from the inital topic of the thread by diving deeper and deeper into the matter of improving cubes, so, if anyone is bothered by that, we could perhaps continue this discussion in my own cube thread

Yeah, that's probably a good point, though my cube also has a Figure of Destiny and a Signal Pest, which technically work as "Red" creatures. But people do not seem to be high on the Pest in their cubes these days, so I might replace it with some red 1-drop.
I like Signal Pest a lot since it's a 1-drop and it wears equipment really well, but it is admittedly a card with a large internal power band. While I wouldn't cut it, I can understand the position.

I'm also intrigued by the Soul-Scar Mage, but I'm not sure: maybe again, I should better add a 1-drop that initially has 2 points of power for consistency reasons.

Since red decks have so many non-creature spells, the 1-drop prowess creatures Monastery Swiftspear and Soul-Scar Mage are both great cards. While it is usually beneficial for an aggro creature to have two power, it's not necessary. Supporting fast aggro decks is all about the density of turn-1 plays and not as much about what those cards actually do. Some number of 1-mana 2-power attackers are good, but they don't need to be every card. Having cards with varied ability suites for the 1-drop slot both add more variety to the cube and maintain the consistency of having the right number of 1s to keep aggro on track.

What do you think about Stromkirk Noble in that role? I guess, in my cube decks play sth on t2 pretty reliably, so he'll have 2 power less consistently than a random Jackal Pup (Firedrinker Satyr from your list), but the card is interesting and I'm trying to justify including it over those.
Stromkirk Noble is neat. It's the type of card that needs backup from removal to reliably connect on turn two, but it can grow pretty quickly out of hand once it does. Cards like Noble are almost never played in a vacuum, as long as your red decks have some way to deal with a blocker on turn two, it should be fine. I think there are better red 1-drops, but Stromkirk Noble is a good include if your goal is to just hit the correct density of red 1s.

And, if you had to choose between a Firedrinker Satyr and a Lightning Berserker, which one would you rank higher? The former attacks better without any investments, but the latter has more reach potential, as it seems to me.
I do not have much play experience with either, I'm only just adding Firedrinker Satyr to my cube for the first time, and I'm only just adding Lightning Berserker to my high-power cube after having good results with it in a peasant list. As a turn 1 play, I think I like Firedrinker Satyr a little more since it can trade more profitably without necessarily needing a firebreathing investment when it attacks. As a top deck, I like Lightning Berserker more because it can be a pseudo Ball Lightning when dashed. I think the correct pick for you largely depends on wether or not you want another Jackal Pup or you are fine with a more flexible 1/1. I like both of these cards more than Stromkirk Noble and Jackal Pup proper.

Sorry for not Gingerbrute-ing, I tried it out after you had offered it some time ago and it performed pretty well, but my and my playgroup's verdict was it looks very unflavorful in a cube we're trying to build of older cards mostly. I agree that sometimes you should give priority to fun gameplay over flavor, but in this case the fun my duders (and me, of course) get from the cube being flavorul outweihgs this little gameplay-fun loss. Everyone has their own biases :)
It's cool! I forgot I had mentioned Gingerbrute to you in the past :p. I champion it because it's such an efficient beater (that every aggro deck can play!), but it often gets written off as a meme by the community because people go "haha funny cookie man." Everyone should at least try the brute, you did, so I'm happy :).

Also, don't you have any older (pre-XLN, as usual) green 3-cmc beaters in mind? I've got Rhonas the Indomitable, but other than that my Gruul decks mostly seek proactive threes in Red, so I might be in the market indeed.
EDIT: You know what, I actually doubt if I should give my Green section more solid 3-drops. I feel my green midrange decks are where they should be in terms of power level, and if I allow for more "t2 cast a 4/4" scenarios, my Aggro players might get aggravated (no pun intended).

The thing about the 3-cmc green beaters is that the older options are best played when supplemented by the newer cards. Take a look at:

Call of the Herd is nice because it's sort of a pseud0-card advantage engine in green, meaning that it can help midrange decks in control matchups where it would otherwise succumb to a stream of counter spells and board wipes. Mouth // Feed falls into a similar vein as Call of the Herd, except it's better in midrange mirrors and worse against control. Some people have also had success with Wolfir Avenger, but that card's regeneration ability makes it too hard for red decks to properly kill in my opinion. I think these cards are pretty good, and they fill the roles needed. However, I'd really recommend playing at least Thrashing Brontodon out of the list of newer cards to supplement them. Thrashing Brontodon is a really nifty answer to problematic permanents such as Swords and Batterskulls, while still being a reasonable beater by itself. Plus, its over 3 years old at this point. It wouldn't be out of place in a cube trying to emulate an old MTGO legacy list.
Like you, I'm working to make my cube emulate a specific older play experience. The only difference is that I'm trying to make popular Standard and Modern decks from when I started playing draft able archetypes in my cube as opposed to creating an updated version of an old legacy cube. If you want to hear how I am handling new cards to upgrade retro themes, I'd recommend reading my digging through time series in my cube thread. It's all very specific to what I'm doing, but it might be helpful in giving you a bigger framework of ways you can use new cards to update old themes.

Ran an online draft of my list on XMage, the 3-0 deck by MapcasterSnage:
Sultai Delve (3-0) (1).png
My deck:
BWr Aggro 1-2.jpg The 2{W}{W}/1{W} card in the 2-CMC section is Halvar
P1p1 was Dismember, p1p2 had Lightning Bolt and Garruk Relentless; I took Bolt, because Zurgo Bellstriker was the only red card in the pack besides Bolt (hoped to "cut" Red), whereas Green had some other goodies. Ended up competing for both Red and White, whereas Green stayed almost perfectly open during the draft. Had I taken Garruk this could have been a totally different draft :)
Went 2-1 in match 1 against Bant land-fall beatdown. The second match was against Mapcaster's BUGw Delve, misplayed twice in game 2 (not sure if I would have won the game if I had played correctly) and got totally crushed 0-2. The 3rd match was the Boros Aggro mirror and resulted in 1-2 in the opp's favor. Unfortunately, only two decks were saved because most of our drafters were random people from the .de server.